Author Topic: And the name of NASA's Lunar Access Surface Module is...  (Read 7025 times)

Offline collectSPACE

• The Source for Space History & Artifacts
  • Houston, TX
    • collectSPACE
  • Liked: 258
  • Likes Given: 4

Offline Namechange User

• Elite Veteran
  • Liked: 0
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: And the name of NASA's Lunar Access Surface Module is...
« Reply #1 on: 12/13/2007 06:46 PM »
Interesting design, ok name kind of rolls off the tounge wierd.  I do like how all the Program/Project logos are holding to the same basic theme and shape.
Enjoying viewing the forum a little better now by filtering certain users.

Offline The-Hammer

• Liked: 1
  • Likes Given: 1
RE: And the name of NASA's Lunar Access Surface Module is...
« Reply #2 on: 12/13/2007 07:05 PM »
Nice throwback to the Apollo 11 logo
Grant Imahara: Oxygen deficiency alarm? Is that something I should be worried about?
NASA worker: Only if it goes off.

Offline hyper_snyper

• Elite Veteran
  • Likes Given: 18
« Reply #3 on: 12/13/2007 08:09 PM »
Does the lander really need a separate name?  Why not do what Apollo did and just call it Orion Lunar Module?  Fewer names is a good thing.  Although that patch is pretty awesome.

Offline Jim

• Night Gator
  • Cape Canaveral Spaceport
  • Liked: 10622
  • Likes Given: 317
« Reply #4 on: 12/13/2007 08:26 PM »
hyper_snyper - 13/12/2007  4:09 PM

Does the lander really need a separate name?  Why not do what Apollo did and just call it Orion Lunar Module?  Fewer names is a good thing.  Although that patch is pretty awesome.

Orion is not the program name, Constellation is.  So is would be the Constellation CM/SM and Constellation Lunar Access Module.  

This may be the end of individually named vehicles.

Offline collectSPACE

• Houston, TX
    • collectSPACE
« Reply #5 on: 12/13/2007 10:46 PM »
Jim - 13/12/2007  3:26 PM
Orion is not the program name, Constellation is.  So is would be the Constellation CM/SM and Constellation Lunar Access Module.
That may be true, though earlier internal NASA briefing documents suggested that Orion, and not Constellation, would inherit the usage familiar to Apollo. It was explained then that Constellation was the umbrella organization under which Orion and other types of missions would fall under.

That was some time ago though, so the approach may have changed (and/or might do so again in the future).

This may be the end of individually named vehicles.
Again, this is from last year so the same caveat as above applies, but for whatever it's worth, Scott Horowitz (I mentioned this may be outdated, right?) said that if individual crews desired to give unique names to their mission's vehicles, then he could so no reason why the program would object.

So just as every Soyuz is a Soyuz and every Russian commander chooses a call sign, that could be the same for Orion and now Altair.

Offline collectSPACE

• Houston, TX
    • collectSPACE
« Reply #6 on: 12/13/2007 10:46 PM »
A few more details and quotes from today's announcement:

NASA names next-gen lunar lander Altair
http://www.collectspace.com/news/news-121307a.html

Offline rocketguy101

• Strib's Rocket Page
  • Liked: 203
  • Likes Given: 637
« Reply #7 on: 12/13/2007 11:12 PM »

Jim - 13/12/2007 3:26 PM
hyper_snyper - 13/12/2007 4:09 PM Does the lander really need a separate name? Why not do what Apollo did and just call it Orion Lunar Module? Fewer names is a good thing. Although that patch is pretty awesome.
Orion is not the program name, Constellation is. So is would be the Constellation CM/SM and Constellation Lunar Access Module. This may be the end of individually named vehicles.

So this was a way to avoid calling it the CLAM?:)

David

Offline Shadow Spork

• Regular
« Reply #8 on: 12/13/2007 11:32 PM »
Orion and Altair... Tom and Jerry?

Seriously, I think it's a great name for LSAM, but I don't think it's the end of the capsule callsigns just yet...

Offline Jim

• Night Gator
« Reply #9 on: 12/13/2007 11:34 PM »
collectSPACE - 13/12/2007  6:46 PM

So just as every Soyuz is a Soyuz and every Russian commander chooses a call sign, that could be the same for Orion and now Altair.

I believe the Russian call sign designates the person and not the spacecraft

Offline Jim

• Night Gator
« Reply #10 on: 12/13/2007 11:40 PM »
collectSPACE - 13/12/2007  6:46 PM

Jim - 13/12/2007  3:26 PM
That may be true, though earlier internal NASA briefing documents suggested that Orion, and not Constellation, would inherit the usage familiar to Apollo. It was explained then that Constellation was the umbrella organization under which Orion and other types of missions would fall under.

I was just pointing out that Orion is not the over arching program and not applicable to the LSAM.

The new name just means more words for describing things.

Examples

Apollo:   The Apollo spacecraft are entering lunar orbit

Constellation:  The Orion and Altair spacecraft are entering lunar orbit

Offline madscientist197

• Regular
  • Liked: 2
« Reply #11 on: 12/14/2007 07:31 AM »
To me it looks a bit like the Eagle is pointing at something off to the left.
John

Offline rfoshaug

• Liked: 16
  • Likes Given: 2
« Reply #12 on: 12/14/2007 01:53 PM »
Jim - 14/12/2007  1:40 AM

Examples

In this case you could say "The Constellation spacecraft are entering lunar orbit".

But when they enter the Altair to prepare for landing, you could say "The astronauts have entered the Altair" instead for "The astronauts have entered the lander/LM/LEM/LSAM" or whatever. Now it has a name for the vehicle type like an aircraft type has a name.

This doesn't prevent each Altair or each Orion from having a name on their own.

I think Altair is a good name.

Way better than "Artemis" (named after the twin sister of Apollo in Greek mythology) which was proposed earlier.

Artemis sounds like a Musketeer's name, while Altair just sounds much better and more futuristic.

But I wish they'd use the name of a constellation instead of a star since it is part of Project Constellation and both Orion and Ares are constellations.

Nevertheless, Altair is a good name.

Offline simonbp

rfoshaug - 14/12/2007  7:53 AM

But I wish they'd use the name of a constellation instead of a star since it is part of Project Constellation and both Orion and Ares are constellations.

No, Aries is a constellation, while Ares is a planet (Mars). And since constellations aren't really physical objects, you could say Orion is named after the closest star-forming nebula...

Altair does sound a bit more science-fictiony than Orion (or Artemis), but that probably a good thing. Now we actually need a design for the lander...

Simon ;)

Offline William Barton

• Liked: 2
« Reply #14 on: 12/14/2007 04:52 PM »
rfoshaug - 14/12/2007  9:53 AM

Jim - 14/12/2007  1:40 AM

Examples

In this case you could say "The Constellation spacecraft are entering lunar orbit".

But when they enter the Altair to prepare for landing, you could say "The astronauts have entered the Altair" instead for "The astronauts have entered the lander/LM/LEM/LSAM" or whatever. Now it has a name for the vehicle type like an aircraft type has a name.

This doesn't prevent each Altair or each Orion from having a name on their own.

I think Altair is a good name.

Way better than "Artemis" (named after the twin sister of Apollo in Greek mythology) which was proposed earlier.

Artemis sounds like a Musketeer's name, while Altair just sounds much better and more futuristic.

Nevertheless, Altair is a good name.

Maybe they should have named both after stars, since stars are grouped into constellations. Of course, then we'd have to wonder if maybe the spacecraft assemblage should be called Orion and the two component spacecraft after stars in Orion... "The astronauts are leaving Alnilam and entering Alnitak?" Hmmmm...

Offline Ikelos

« Reply #15 on: 12/14/2007 05:09 PM »
Is NASA going to have to rename one of its fairly new Predator B aircraft which already has the name Altair?

http://www.dfrc.nasa.gov/Gallery/Photo/Altair_PredatorB/Small/ED05-0234-19.jpg

Offline Colds7ream

• Tomorrow's Flight Surgeon
  • Scientia Dabit Alas
  • RAF Akrotiri, Cyprus
    • SalopianJames - en Wikipedia
« Reply #16 on: 12/14/2007 05:23 PM »
Ikelos - 14/12/2007  6:09 PM

Is NASA going to have to rename one of its fairly new Predator B aircraft which already has the name Altair?

http://www.dfrc.nasa.gov/Gallery/Photo/Altair_PredatorB/Small/ED05-0234-19.jpg

I think the short-lived Soviet/Russian equivalent of TDRS was called Altair too...

Offline majortom

« Reply #17 on: 12/14/2007 09:16 PM »

I didn't see a recent LSAM thread in any of the forums, so I thought I'd ask here...

Does anyone have any info on the NASA industry briefing that went with the Altair naming announcement?

This supposed insider's blog reports that the NASA design for LSAM/Altair that was handed over to industry at the event has "no redundancy" and "meets none of the program's latter day safety requirements", apparently according to the LSAM/Altair manager herself:

http://rocketsandsuch.blogspot.com/2007/12/sacrificing-at-altair.html

If true, this would be quite an indictment of the lunar architecture.  Can anyone confirm/refute/inform?

Thanks much.

Offline Norm Hartnett

• Elite Veteran
  • Liked: 56
« Reply #18 on: 12/14/2007 09:29 PM »
"On the government level, which is to say NASA, the space culture is one of risk aversion and budget preservation: all budgets are spent but most projects are cancelled. Space technology is moving forward at a very slow rate, with propulsion systems, for example, little changed from 40 years ago. Moore's Law has described many things, but serious space advancements aren't among them. The result is that hard-won knowledge has retired with the men and women who developed it and we are substantially LESS able to go to the Moon today as a nation than we were 30 years ago."

Seemed apropos somehow.

“You can’t take a traditional approach and expect anything but the traditional results, which has been broken budgets and not fielding any flight hardware.” Mike Gold - Apollo, STS, CxP; those that don't learn from history are condemned to repeat it: SLS.

Offline CessnaDriver

« Reply #19 on: 12/15/2007 12:53 AM »
Thumbs up!

Offline apollo13

• Regular
« Reply #20 on: 12/15/2007 01:05 AM »
So, every mission it will be like Altair 1, Altair 2, etc....?

I'd rather name every LEM like Apollo...

Offline Thorny

• Regular
  • San Angelo, Texas
  • Liked: 118
  • Likes Given: 112
« Reply #21 on: 12/15/2007 03:04 AM »
apollo13 - 14/12/2007  8:05 PM

So, every mission it will be like Altair 1, Altair 2, etc....?

I'd rather name every LEM like Apollo...

Well, "Altair" gives us a generic name to use before flight, between missions, etc. Such as, "In 2022, an Altair lander will deliver a hab module to the lunar surface," or "Northrop-Grumman builds Altair landers for NASA's Project Constellation." Sounds better than saying "An LSAM will deliver..."

I still would have preferred the various components of Project Constellation to actually be named for constellations though. We got one of three: Orion. Ares is a planet (in ancient languages, anyway), and Altair is a star. Consider instead Project Constellation with the Orion CEV, the Aquila LSAM, and the Hercules I and V launch vehicles...

Offline Quindar

• Upper California
  • Liked: 5
  • Likes Given: 54
« Reply #22 on: 12/15/2007 03:24 AM »
Well, it could have been "Betelgeuse" or worse.
Oh, I have slipped the surly bonds of earth...

Offline CessnaDriver

« Reply #23 on: 12/15/2007 03:26 AM »
Giving it a name now I think helps to gain support for it all too.

Offline rfoshaug

« Reply #24 on: 12/15/2007 11:01 AM »
simonbp - 14/12/2007  6:25 PM

rfoshaug - 14/12/2007  7:53 AM

No, Aries is a constellation, while Ares is a planet (Mars). And since constellations aren't really physical objects, you could say Orion is named after the closest star-forming nebula...

Yeah, my bad. :) I was thinking Aries and not Ares. Thanks for the clarification.

;)

Offline simpl simon

• Regular
  • Liked: 21
« Reply #25 on: 12/19/2007 09:51 AM »
majortom - 14/12/2007  11:16 PM

I didn't see a recent LSAM thread in any of the forums, so I thought I'd ask here...

Does anyone have any info on the NASA industry briefing that went with the Altair naming announcement?

This supposed insider's blog reports that the NASA design for LSAM/Altair that was handed over to industry at the event has "no redundancy" and "meets none of the program's latter day safety requirements", apparently according to the LSAM/Altair manager herself:

If true, this would be quite an indictment of the lunar architecture.  Can anyone confirm/refute/inform?

Thanks much.

Yes, it is odd that this thread was initiated by publication of the Altair logo on the occasion of the NASA industry briefing, but the ensuing discussion has been solely concerned with the logo and not with the design of the lunar lander itself.
Is this because the lunar lander design is presented elsewhere on the web?
Chris, you provided info on the lunar lander at the JSC all hands. Isn't there anything new in the NASA briefing from last week?

Offline Launch Fan

• Veteran
  • Likes Given: 9
« Reply #26 on: 12/19/2007 10:21 AM »
simpl simon - 19/12/2007  10:51 AM

Thanks much.

Yes, it is odd that this thread was initiated by publication of the Altair logo on the occasion of the NASA industry briefing, but the ensuing discussion has been solely concerned with the logo and not with the design of the lunar lander itself.
Chris, you provided info on the lunar lander at the JSC all hands. Isn't there anything new in the NASA briefing from last week?

The thread was started on December 13, and seems to be related to the logo rather than any major presentation of the vehicle.

http://www.spaceref.com/news/viewnews.html?id=1256 from December 13.

Offline simpl simon

• Regular
« Reply #27 on: 12/19/2007 01:09 PM »
Launch Fan - 19/12/2007  12:21 PM

simpl simon - 19/12/2007  10:51 AM

Thanks much.

The thread was started on December 13, and seems to be related to the logo rather than any major presentation of the vehicle.

http://www.spaceref.com/news/viewnews.html?id=1256 from December 13.

Yes, the thread was started the day that NASA briefed industry on the initial design of their lunar lander and revealed their Altair logo.
I continue to be slightly surprised that this forum discusses everything about the VSE and NASA's Constellation Program, but appears to ignore the latest lunar lander disclosure.

Offline collectSPACE

• Houston, TX
    • collectSPACE
« Reply #28 on: 12/19/2007 01:18 PM »
simpl simon - 19/12/2007  4:51 AM

At the start of the industry day presentation* it was explained that no handout materials would be available, other than a sheet with a web address where to request password-access to the materials. As the pre-meeting notice explained, the information is Export Controlled, and that US citizenship/business entity ownership was required for access to the information. (It would therefore not be able to be shared on L2, for example.)

Password access approval could take up to 2-3 weeks, according to NASA.

* I was only able to attend the very start of the industry day presentation as the briefing for yesterday's spacewalk was scheduled concurrently, hence the name and logo was the only new information I was able to gleam in the short time I was there (and per NASA PAO, was not export controlled).

Offline Thomas ESA

• Liked: 4
« Reply #29 on: 12/19/2007 01:23 PM »
collectSPACE - 19/12/2007  8:18 AM

the information is Export Controlled, and that US citizenship/business entity ownership was required for access to the information. (It would therefore not be able to be shared on L2, for example.)

Or any public website, unless you have no foriegn visitors, or you would be facilitating the export.

Offline Namechange User

• Elite Veteran
« Reply #30 on: 12/19/2007 01:48 PM »
There is no real design.  All the versions you have seen here and elsewhere are notional designs.  Concept work is only in the early stages.  The news was the name of the project and the logo for it, nothing else.

Offline simpl simon

• Regular
« Reply #31 on: 12/19/2007 02:03 PM »
OV-106 - 19/12/2007  3:48 PM

There is no real design.  All the versions you have seen here and elsewhere are notional designs.  Concept work is only in the early stages.  The news was the name of the project and the logo for it, nothing else.

Oh, come on: even the abbreviated discussion on

finds things to complain about, so the design as presented must have made an impression on the participants, even if only negative.

And by the way, was the presentation also "export controlled"? Are the particpants not allowed to discuss their reactions to the information that was disclosed at the briefing?

Online Chris Bergin

simpl simon - 19/12/2007  3:03 PM

Now I'm a bit lost too :) This thread is only about the name, nothing else. The link above is some unnammed blogger talking out loud about things including the "min functionality lander..." which we've covered here previously.

http://www.nasaspaceflight.com/content/?cid=5245

Lunar hardware threads reside in the Ares sections, and new ones can be started as warranted.

Offline Namechange User

• Elite Veteran
« Reply #33 on: 12/19/2007 02:23 PM »
simpl simon - 19/12/2007  9:03 AM

finds things to complain about, so the design as presented must have made an impression on the participants, even if only negative.

And by the way, was the presentation also "export controlled"? Are the particpants not allowed to discuss their reactions to the information that was disclosed at the briefing?

People - on the internet - finding things to complain about?  Wow, that has to be a first.....

Offline simpl simon

• Regular
« Reply #34 on: 12/19/2007 03:00 PM »
Chris Bergin - 19/12/2007  4:17 PM

simpl simon - 19/12/2007  3:03 PM

Now I'm a bit lost too :) This thread is only about the name, nothing else. The link above is some unnammed blogger talking out loud about things including the "min functionality lander..." which we've covered here previously.

http://www.nasaspaceflight.com/content/?cid=5245

Lunar hardware threads reside in the Ares sections, and new ones can be started as warranted.

Yes, Chris, I do understand that this thread is only about the name. If you had read my earlier post you would have seen that I also do recall your All Hands article from October. My question related simply to the absence of discussion of the design since the NASA industry briefing on December 13, which was also remarked on by MajorTom, whose post I quoted. Of course, any such discussion, if it should evolve, doesn't have to be in this thread.
My query on this topic produced the response that the Altair information is export controlled. Did that restriction apply to your report from the All Hands meeting?

Online Chris Bergin

simpl simon - 19/12/2007  4:00 PM

My query on this topic produced the response that the Altair information is export controlled. Did that restriction apply to your report from the All Hands meeting?

The 79 page presentation and three associated videos on L2 were not export controlled, which should be obvious, as you will have seen they aren't by downloading them and the fact we'd never of gotten hold of them if they were.

Offline Analyst

• Likes Given: 3
« Reply #36 on: 12/19/2007 04:41 PM »
OV-106 - 19/12/2007  3:48 PM

Very true. And probably it stays that way. Naming a project and having a logo is the easiest and cheapest part, and very often the only one.

Analyst

Tags: