Author Topic: O-ring issues anymore?  (Read 1918 times)

Offline jeff122670

• Missing the Shuttle more and more everyday!!!! :(
  • Louisville, KY
  • Liked: 2
  • Likes Given: 3
O-ring issues anymore?
« on: 12/12/2007 12:42 AM »
All,

after 51-L and then the RTF, i havent heard anymore concern or comments in recent past about O-rings and the sealing of the field joints.

does anyone know if there has been any issues with the o-rings, sealing of the joints, or blow-by?

thanks for the help and info!

Jeff
Jeff Ray

Offline ChrisGebhardt

• Assistant Managing Editor
  • Global Moderator
  • ad astra scientia
  • ~1 AU
  • Liked: 5447
  • Likes Given: 676
Re: O-ring issues anymore?
« Reply #1 on: 12/12/2007 05:09 AM »
Blow by?  NO!!!!!!  Issues with the O-rings?  Yes.  The first occurrence of SRB O-ring issues after RTF from Challenger was on STS-78 (June 20, 1996) when "Post-launch assessment of spent solid rocket boosters revealed hot gas path in motor field joints to, but not past capture feature O-ring. This marked first occurrence of combustion product penetration into the J-joint of redesigned solid rocket motor (RSRM). Flight safety was not compromised, and motor performance met design specification requirements. Probable cause attributed to new, more environmentally friendly adhesive and cleaning fluid."  
This issue was corrected and that new environmentally friendly adhesive and cleaning fluid was not used again.

There was also some pre-mission talk about the O-rings for STS-118 this past August but it was really just talk and media hype ahead of Barbara Morgan's flight.  

Here's the article pertaining to the STS-118 O-rings.

http://www.nasaspaceflight.com/content/?cid=5172

As you can see by the article, it wasn't that big of a deal.  Also, try searching L2 for more STS-118 O-ring documents.  ;)

Offline jeff122670

• Missing the Shuttle more and more everyday!!!! :(
  • Louisville, KY
  • Liked: 2
« Reply #2 on: 12/12/2007 06:52 AM »
i do remember something now about the nozzle joints quite a while back....maybe it was the sts-78.  i just cant remember...

yeah i heard about the sts-118, but i agree that it was just hype....standard.

thanks for the info!!

Jeff
Jeff Ray

Offline Chris Bergin

RE: O-ring issues anymore?
« Reply #3 on: 12/12/2007 06:55 AM »
Good post Trekkie. Not sure who it was, but one site made a drama out of it....when there wasn't one.

Plus, they've been adding improvements all the time:

http://www.nasaspaceflight.com/content/?cid=5257

http://www.nasaspaceflight.com/content/?cid=5284

Offline George CA

• Veteran
  • Liked: 3
« Reply #4 on: 12/15/2007 05:15 PM »
I remember it was the AP that wrote the story, which was a 50/50 split with the Morgan/Christa angle.
"One Percent for Space"

Tags: