Author Topic: China targeting all 'enemy space vehicles'  (Read 2294 times)

Offline daver

• Regular
  • South Carolina
  • Liked: 85
  • Likes Given: 835
China targeting all 'enemy space vehicles'
« on: 11/29/2007 05:44 PM »
(snip)
China’s anti-satellite and space warfare program includes plans to destroy or incapacitate 'every enemy space vehicle' that passes over China.

http://www.worldtribune.com/worldtribune/WTARC/2007/ea_china_11_29.asp

Offline nathan.moeller

• Astro95 Media
  • Global Moderator
  • Houston, TX
    • Astro95 Media
  • Liked: 14
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: China targeting all 'enemy space vehicles'
« Reply #1 on: 11/29/2007 06:17 PM »
I think they're just frakked because they don't have as many satellites as we do ;)
www.astro95media.com - Lead Video & Graphics

Offline ckiki lwai

• Aerospace engineering student
  • Europe, Belgium
  • Liked: 1
RE: China targeting all 'enemy space vehicles'
« Reply #2 on: 11/29/2007 06:26 PM »
The Chinese also plan to attack U.S. global positioning system (GPS) satellites through various means, including anti-satellite weapons, high-energy weapons, high-energy weather monitoring rockets and ground attacks on earth-based .

I hope that's a bad translation or a typo, because that sounds like declaring war or so.

Well maybe Galileo isn't such a bad idea after all, it could one day save America's but ;)
Don't ever become a pessimist... a pessimist is correct oftener than an optimist, but an optimist has more fun, and neither can stop the march of events. - Robert Heinlein

Offline MKremer

• Elite Veteran
  • Liked: 13
  • Likes Given: 482
« Reply #3 on: 11/29/2007 06:34 PM »
Some further info about the World Tribune 'news' site:

http://www.newyorker.com/archive/2003/09/08/030908ta_talk_mcgrath?printable=true

Offline rsp1202

• Elite Veteran
  • 3, 2, 1 . . . Make rocket go now
  • Liked: 0
« Reply #4 on: 11/29/2007 08:03 PM »
Believable? I'm not that kind of Moonie.

Offline Almurray1958

« Reply #5 on: 11/29/2007 08:18 PM »
interestingly,  on p 97 and 98 there is mention of this, not as loudly as in the World tribune, but actually in the report...

why read a rag when the report is in the public domain???

http://www.uscc.gov/annual_report/2008/report_to_congress.pdf
- Al Murray

Offline jimvela

• Liked: 205
  • Likes Given: 10
RE: China targeting all 'enemy space vehicles'
« Reply #6 on: 11/29/2007 08:53 PM »
daver - 29/11/2007  11:44 AM

(snip)
China’s anti-satellite and space warfare program includes plans to destroy or incapacitate 'every enemy space vehicle' that passes over China.

http://www.worldtribune.com/worldtribune/WTARC/2007/ea_china_11_29.asp

Yawn.  

Any state military worth existing makes plans to engage all likely (and most unlikely) adversaries.

That means that there is almost certainly  a corresponding plan to obliterate the Chinese mainland in the event of major hostilities.

Neither set of plans is ever likely to see execution, but they have to exist or the respective nations' armed forces aren't doing their jobs.

Now if they were foolish to actually start trying to shoot down the GPS constellation, they might find themselves with all manner and sort of problems to deal with, up to and including being crispy.

The Chinese are not stupid, and there isn't anything worth getting worked up about in the article.  

We'd all be a lot better off if we'd reach out and build a consortium of nations to go explore off-world.  Yes, it would be quite a hassle to get modules, bodies, and objectives lined up and into a big collaborative mission, but maybe we'd learn better how to get along.

Our snubbing the Chinese over things like 'human rights' abuses isn't really helping us, it leads to crap like this.

We'd be far, far better off doing something like building a docking module at ISS and inviting various other nations to send up "foreign" contributions... A Chinese hab module, an Indian hab module, A brazilian hab module, etc.  

Those nations that aren't getting along would have to figure out how to get along in such an endeavor, and so would we.  Everyone would be better off.

Offline Blackstar

• Veteran
  • Liked: 2710
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #7 on: 11/29/2007 09:53 PM »
That report contains a lot of assertions that are not backed up by hard facts.  It's worth noting that the report is far more alarmist than any report produced by the Department of Defense.

Offline daver

• Regular
  • South Carolina
  • Liked: 85
  • Likes Given: 835
« Reply #8 on: 11/29/2007 10:44 PM »
MKremer - 29/11/2007  1:34 PM

Some further info about the World Tribune 'news' site:

http://www.newyorker.com/archive/2003/09/08/030908ta_talk_mcgrath?printable=true

Okay, I read this link.  Than did a google search, "The New Yorker liberal conservative".
Guess what, All liberal.  So, its opinions are politically motivated and as far as I'm concerned
not worth reading.  :angry:
                   Liberals Lie.  <-my opinion.   :bleh:

Offline rsp1202

• Elite Veteran
  • 3, 2, 1 . . . Make rocket go now
« Reply #9 on: 11/29/2007 10:59 PM »
So do conservatives. That's the problem.

Offline Shadow Spork

• Regular
« Reply #10 on: 11/29/2007 11:20 PM »
Politics is always the problem. It always has, and always will be.

That article came to a point where no one would take that so seriously. It's ridiculous!

Offline clongton

• Expert
  • Connecticut
    • Direct Launcher
  • Liked: 2479
  • Likes Given: 885
« Reply #11 on: 11/29/2007 11:43 PM »
Shadow Spork - 29/11/2007  7:20 PM

Politics is always the problem. It always has, and always will be.

That article came to a point where no one would take that so seriously. It's ridiculous!
Public Service, aka politics, is a noble profession and, like all professions, gets its share of louses.

Allow me to ask you a question. What do you do for a living? Just for the sake of arguement, let's say you are an engineer. I happen to know a few engineers that I would feel polluted around. Does that mean that you and all your engineer friends are louses? Of course not. It's the same with politicians. There are a lot more good ones out there than bad ones, otherwise you would be living in chaos. I happen to know a few politicians quite personally, and they are among the most honest and caring persons I know. And they are not the exception.

Don't be so quick to make blanket statements like that because you condemn a lot of good people when you do that.
Chuck - DIRECT co-founder
I started my career on the Saturn-V F-1A engine

Tags: