Author Topic: ESA - Vega Updates  (Read 171132 times)

Offline eeergo

Re: ESA - Vega Updates
« Reply #260 on: 01/29/2019 01:05 am »
https://www.ariane.group/en/news/successful-second-test-firing-for-the-p120c-solid-rocket-motor-for-ariane-6-and-vega-c/

Flashy page to release that the P120C has been successfully fired (no photos or video yet). Only one test firing to go before A6 qualification is achieved.
-DaviD-

Offline bolun

• Europe
  • Liked: 252
  • Likes Given: 71
« Reply #261 on: 01/29/2019 01:47 pm »
Vega-C's first stage P120C motor achieves final milestone test

29 January 2019

The first qualification model of the P120C solid-fuel motor, configured for Vega-C, was static fired yesterday on the test stand at Europeís Spaceport in French Guiana.

Fully loaded with 142 tonnes of fuel, the 13.5 m long and 3.4 m diameter motor was ignited for a final simulation of liftoff and the first phase of flight.

During a burn time of 135 seconds, the P120C delivered a maximum thrust of about 4650 kN. No anomalies were seen and, according to initial recorded data, the performance met expectations. A full analysis of these test results will confirm readiness of this motor for Vega-Cís debut launch.

https://www.esa.int/Our_Activities/Space_Transportation/Vega-C_s_first_stage_P120C_motor_achieves_final_milestone_test

Image credit: ESA

Offline SciNews

• Romania
  • Liked: 458
  • Likes Given: 6
« Reply #262 on: 01/29/2019 04:34 pm »
Video from CNES

Offline Steven Pietrobon

• Adelaide, Australia
    • Steven Pietrobon's Space Archive
  • Liked: 6668
  • Likes Given: 914
« Reply #263 on: 01/30/2019 05:04 am »
There are three curves in that video. I'm guessing that two of them are pressure and thrust versus time, but what is the third curve?
« Last Edit: 01/30/2019 05:06 am by Steven Pietrobon »
Akin's Laws of Spacecraft Design #1:  Engineering is done with numbers.  Analysis without numbers is only an opinion.

Offline eeergo

« Reply #264 on: 01/30/2019 05:20 am »
There are three curves in that video. I'm guessing that two of them are pressure and thrust versus time, but what is the third curve?

I think they must rather be pressure at different heights in the booster - they follow similar curves, albeit with slightly different magnitudes, the decay for the lowest curve (I'd guess, corresponding to the lower position, close or at the nozzle) reaches close to zero when the booster is visibly tailing off in the video, while the other two curves are still falling but high.
-DaviD-

Offline Notaris

• Europe
  • Liked: 19
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #265 on: 01/30/2019 07:15 am »

I think they must rather be pressure at different heights in the booster - they follow similar curves, albeit with slightly different magnitudes, the decay for the lowest curve (I'd guess, corresponding to the lower position, close or at the nozzle) reaches close to zero when the booster is visibly tailing off in the video, while the other two curves are still falling but high.

I highly doubt this explanation attempt. The pressure within the booster should be (close to) identical independent of the position!
At around 1:16 in the video, the commentator says that "le courbe suits bien le gabarit", so I would say the middle curve is the messured pressure in the booster, while the top and lower curve are the expected bounds.

Tags: updates