Author Topic: Historic NatGeo Magazines on Spaceflight  (Read 2345 times)

Offline Maxim_NZ

• Taurus-Littrow valley on a LRV (I wish)
  • Liked: 0
  • Likes Given: 0
Historic NatGeo Magazines on Spaceflight
« on: 10/11/2007 08:51 AM »
I happen to have a couple of National Geographic magazines (Vol 120, No 3. Sept 1961 + Vol 121, No 6. June 1962)

Sept 1961 details "America's first manned venture into space" The flight of freedom 7 + a pilots story, a personal report by Alan B Shepherd

June 1962 details "John Glenn's 3 orbits of the earth"

(note: a 12 month sub only cost $8 then!)

Does anyone know if this material is still copyright etc? - Many of the photos are NASA in origin, these articles are real gems and many people on the site would enjoy reading them or extracts from them.

Perhaps NatGeo offer a online digital archive?

Suggestions?

Offline madscientist197

• Regular
  • Liked: 2
Re: Historic NatGeo Magazines on Spaceflight
« Reply #1 on: 10/11/2007 09:45 AM »
I think that most NASA images are generally in the public domain, but there are legal issues if you source them via copyrighted materials. Off the top of my head the copyright length is 95 years in the US, so I'd imagine it hasn't expired for the text. Sounds interesting though.

EDIT: 50 years in NZ?
John

Offline Blackstar

• Veteran
  • Liked: 2977
  • Likes Given: 1
RE: Historic NatGeo Magazines on Spaceflight
« Reply #2 on: 10/11/2007 02:30 PM »
Be careful.  National Geographic is rigorous about enforcing their copyrights.  They have made their back issues available in a CD-ROM set, meaning that they still see value in selling old materials in new formats.

Also, note that many of the photos they run are not NASA photos but taken by their own photographers.  They still own the rights to these and they are rigorous about enforcing them.

As a side note, there is a certain _look_ to National Geographic photos that is hard to describe, but it's still there.  They have a way of making even natural shots look staged.  I'm not particularly fond of this and I think many of their space photos share this quality of looking slightly posed.

Offline Maxim_NZ

• Taurus-Littrow valley on a LRV (I wish)
« Reply #3 on: 10/11/2007 07:10 PM »
Cheers for the feedback. I happen to work in the digital preservation space which entitles us to liberties outside of the public domain in my country. (only for NZ originated published material)

So I guess I will put a plug in for the NatGeo CDROM/DVD sets for those following up on this post. Worth getting, or check out those second hand book shops.

The ads in some of these old magazines are brilliant, a Colour TV, with wireless remote in walnut veneer in 1962. Heck, we didn't get a colour TV till the mid 70's in our country. I digress.

Despite the article on "a pilots story, a personal report by Alan B Shepherd" there was no reference to the "Alan Shepherd Prayer" I guess editorial restrictions in 1962 prevented that. Details on http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alan_Shepard for those chasing this.

Offline Raoul

« Reply #4 on: 10/11/2007 08:08 PM »
The one issue I found most interesting was the march 64 "How we plan to put men on the Moon"

That's how I understood what was going to happen (I re-read it in 1968).

http://cgi.ebay.com/National-Geographic-Magazine-March-1964-Men-on-the-Moon_W0QQitemZ230109578654QQihZ013QQcategoryZ280QQtcZphotoQQcmdZViewItem#ebayphotohosting

51d12m22sN-4d25m14sE

Offline gurneyeagle

« Reply #5 on: 10/11/2007 09:32 PM »
I've got a copy of the march '64 issue.  It also has a great story on JFK.

Offline Blackstar

• Veteran
  • Liked: 2977
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #6 on: 10/12/2007 01:41 PM »
Maxim_NZ - 11/10/2007  2:10 PM
So I guess I will put a plug in for the NatGeo CDROM/DVD sets for those following up on this post. Worth getting, or check out those second hand book shops.

The set was reviewed awhile back in a publication I read and the review was rather negative.  They were surprised at the low res of the scans.  Considering that NG is known for its photos, they expected better reproduction.  I think they also did not like the searching functions.  Overall, the reviewer said that they expected high quality from NG and the CD set did not meet their expectations.

Offline Celeritas

« Reply #7 on: 10/12/2007 02:16 PM »
There's a pretty good article in the current National Geographic on space flight.  There's a comprehensive chart with an interesting compilation of all manned space flights and their relative vehicles and altitudes.  There's nothing in there anyone on this forum wouldn't already know, but it's an interesting article nonetheless.

Tags: