Author Topic: Background checks at NASA lab blocked  (Read 10492 times)

Re: Background checks at NASA lab blocked
« Reply #40 on: 11/30/2007 06:36 PM »

Perhaps, everyone at JPL should be required to have a security clearance.  That would silence the protesters as the background checks would be undeniably required.

---  CHAS

Yes, by all means - let's silence the protesters.  A NASA facility is NO place for either free speech or free thought.

Conformity is freedom!!!

Offline Gene DiGennaro

• Armchair Astronaut
  • Baltimore, Md
    • Glenn L. Martin Maryland Aviation Museum
  • Liked: 0
  • Likes Given: 16
« Reply #41 on: 12/03/2007 02:21 PM »
Jim - 30/11/2007  12:23 PM

HIPAR - 30/11/2007  11:55 AM

Perhaps, everyone at JPL should be required to have a security clearance.  That would silence the protesters as the background checks would be undeniably required.

---  CHAS

That is basically what is happening

Why should everyone at JPL possess a clearance? It's awfully expensive for something that's done in the open. Wasn't that was NASA was created for in the first place? My own employer ( a major defense contractor) does not have clearances for all its employees in the plant. Our line is, "if you need one to do your job, you'll get one".

While I understand that this technology could fall into the wrong hands and be used against us, this argument can be taken to extremes. If that's the case all, space exploration should be classified becuase it could give remote sensing information away. All rocketry should be classified becuase it could give away data on ICBM's etc. In this argument, people like SpaceEx ought to be shut down because they could be developing a private guided missile. Ask the amatuer rocketry crowd what the BATF has done for (to) them lately.

I'm glad the Wright brothers didn't have to get government clearances to invent the airplane.
When NASA operates in the open, misuse of technology is a risk that the USA takes. I can't see how we can get around that.

Offline Jim

• Night Gator
  • Cape Canaveral Spaceport
  • Liked: 10644
  • Likes Given: 318
« Reply #42 on: 12/03/2007 03:02 PM »
Things aren't done in the open since ITAR has been around

Offline Gene DiGennaro

• Armchair Astronaut
  • Baltimore, Md
« Reply #43 on: 12/03/2007 05:56 PM »
Yeah, ITAR really stopped Iran &  N. Korea, hasn't it? What a useless policy.

Offline Captain Scarlet

• Veteran
  • Cambridgeshire, England
  • Liked: 4
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #44 on: 12/04/2007 09:50 AM »
Wasn't this brought in after someone at JSC went on a shooting rampage? I can understand the reasons for this if so.

Offline Jim

• Night Gator
  • Cape Canaveral Spaceport
  • Liked: 10644
  • Likes Given: 318
« Reply #45 on: 12/04/2007 10:51 AM »
Captain Scarlet - 4/12/2007  5:50 AM

Wasn't this brought in after someone at JSC went on a shooting rampage? I can understand the reasons for this if so.

No, not related to the JSC incident.  It is more related to 9/11

Offline Gene DiGennaro

• Armchair Astronaut
  • Baltimore, Md
« Reply #46 on: 12/04/2007 01:18 PM »
Jim - 4/12/2007  5:51 AM

Captain Scarlet - 4/12/2007  5:50 AM

No, not related to the JSC incident.  It is more related to 9/11

This might stray a little off topic so forgive me moderators, but I am sick and tired of the 9/11 excuse for our government (both national and local) to hide from its citizens. There are important national security matters and technology that absolutely need safeguarding, but then there is the convenience of using security as a trump card to deny citizens access to their government for which they pay for.

I'm an old school conservative type who still believes in the Constitution.

Rant mode off...

« Reply #47 on: 12/04/2007 02:04 PM »
Gene DiGennaro - 4/12/2007  8:18 AM

This might stray a little off topic so forgive me moderators, but I am sick and tired of the 9/11 excuse for our government (both national and local) to hide from its citizens. There are important national security matters and technology that absolutely need safeguarding, but then there is the convenience of using security as a trump card to deny citizens access to their government for which they pay for.

I'm an old school conservative type who still believes in the Constitution.

Rant mode off...

A fine Patriot you are - I guess next you'll be demanding to get your habeas corpus back!  ;)

Tags: