Author Topic: Officials seeking $5M for retraining (KSC workers)  (Read 765 times)

Offline MySDCUserID

• Veteran
  • Liked: 0
  • Likes Given: 0
RE: Officials seeking $5M for retraining (KSC workers)
« Reply #1 on: 06/03/2007 04:06 pm »
A complete waste of taxpayer money.  There are plenty of training/education opportunities provided by all of the major contractors.  Whether or not employees choose to utilize that training is their own choice.  People should be responsible for their own futures.  If you know your job is at risk of going away and you choose to do nothing about it, then you are choosing to deal with the consequences.

Offline SpaceCat

• Florida
  • Liked: 2
  • Likes Given: 0
RE: Officials seeking $5M for retraining (KSC workers)
« Reply #2 on: 06/03/2007 07:11 pm »
There's a hint of creepy deja-vu here- that can best be described by a paragraph from my memoirs from 1971:

Lots of engineers with the space program, especially those who were facing or had already suffered a post-Apollo lay off, were looking to NOAA and the oceans as a place to continue their careers- to become part of 'the next big thing.'  This even led to the classrooms of HTI (Hydrospace Technical Institute in Cocoa Beach) being opened at night to host a year's worth of NASA-sponsored "re-training" programs to aid displaced personnel in entering the ocean technology job market that was expected to mushroom.  Not many years later I found myself looking back and feeling especially bad for those guys. They ended up training for a profession that stopped even more abruptly than space... because it never really started.

Tags: