Author Topic: Introducing The Orbital Index  (Read 1214 times)

Offline tectonic

Introducing The Orbital Index
« on: 03/20/2019 02:46 pm »
Hey everyone! I want to share a project that a friend and I have been working on.

The Orbital Index

The Orbital Index is a brief, weekly, technical email newsletter about space and the new space industry. We just published issue #4 and have taken the project out of "beta". I'd very much enjoy all of your feedback and suggestions.

Here's the latest issue: http://orbitalindex.com/archive/2019-03-19-archive-Issue-4/

if you like what we're doing, subscribe for free to get weekly updates.

Offline tectonic

Re: Introducing The Orbital Index
« Reply #1 on: 04/08/2019 07:53 am »
There have been a couple more issues since I posted this:

Issue #5: Bennu is wet & weird, reusing upper stages, Mars 2020, PRISMA launch.

Issue #6: DARPA nuclear engines, space debris, OS-M1 launch failure.

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated!

Online Lar

• Fan boy at large
  • Global Moderator
  • Saw Gemini live on TV
  • A large LEGO storage facility ... in Michigan
  • Liked: 8783
  • Likes Given: 7389
« Reply #2 on: 04/08/2019 09:17 pm »
What is your planned frequency?

I liked the idea but thought some of your font and color choices made it a bit hard to read. Have you tested it on mobile devices?
"I think it would be great to be born on Earth and to die on Mars. Just hopefully not at the point of impact." -Elon Musk
"We're a little bit like the dog who caught the bus" - Musk after CRS-8 S1 successfully landed on ASDS OCISLY

Offline tectonic

« Reply #3 on: 04/08/2019 09:20 pm »
What is your planned frequency?

We've been sending out the email weekly, every Tuesday morning.

I liked the idea but thought some of your font and color choices made it a bit hard to read. Have you tested it on mobile devices?

I agree we can improve readability on the (somewhat stock) website. We're primarily targeting an email newsletter format, so we've so far optimized for that. Good feedback on the website though, thank you!

Offline tectonic

« Reply #4 on: 04/19/2019 09:42 am »
Here are issues 7 & 8 as well.

Issue #7: Electric Solar Wind Sails, Project Kuiper, ESA CubeSats, Hayabusa2 (The Electric Solar Wind Sail segment is our first piece of independent journalism!)

Issue #8: Black holes, Beresheet, Falcon Heavy, and lots of interesting tidbits

For better formatting and weekly updates, subscribe here.

Offline flyright

• Denver, Colorado
  • Liked: 612
  • Likes Given: 820
« Reply #5 on: 04/19/2019 09:05 pm »
I like the idea of the brief summary of the week's activities and links to the details.

Regarding Issue #8 comments about the damaged FH center core. I think it is a bit misleading to say the core was lost, although it certainly won't fly again.
Also, not sure it can be said that inability to use the Octagrabber led to the damage.
SpaceX wasn't planning to use it. They were planning to use jackstands, chains, and anchor plates welded to the deck as in most previous droneship landings.

Tags: