Author Topic: SpaceX Texas launch site Discussion and Updates - Thread 6  (Read 524025 times)

Offline Nomadd

• Boca Chica, Texas
  • Liked: 13377
  • Likes Given: 437
Re: SpaceX Texas launch site Discussion and Updates - Thread 6
« Reply #740 on: 01/05/2018 05:25 am »
So is the plan to use the PV Solar to charge Tesla Powerpacks and build the project with self generated power? 

A half megawatt with battery storage should go along way at supporting most of the construction.

What makes you think they'll use Tesla Powerpacks?

To be clear, I have no idea if they will or not, but as far as I know, the use of Tesla Powerpacks has not been confirmed.

Note that the vast majority of solar systems in the U.S. are grid-tied, with no batteries.

Also, if I'm not mistaken, when they ran fiber-optic cables to Boca Chica last year, they also ran new electrical power lines to the area.  Nomadd, do I have this right?
Nope. No new electric yet, but the company guy marking lines last week said there was some on the way. It turns out that when they claimed they were upgrading it a couple of years ago, they were actually downgrading it to 7200 volts because of deteriorating insulators. That little stretch of wire in the picture you just put up is actually the only overhead for miles. The guy that owns the former store ran it from across the road because coming underground would have cost more.
 I haven't found many choice with this camera yet, but switching to BMP does seem to be better quality than the overly aggressive jpg they use.
« Last Edit: 01/05/2018 05:30 am by Nomadd »
Those who danced were thought to be quite insane by those who couldn't hear the music.

Offline StuffOfInterest

• Just interested in space
  • McLean, Virginia, USA
  • Liked: 183
  • Likes Given: 67
« Reply #741 on: 01/05/2018 11:24 am »
I'm a little surprised that the solar panels are mounted so close to the ground.  Looks difficult to clean vegetation out from under them that low.  A little higher and the maintenance people could get underneath with a trimmer.  Originally I thought the panels would be high enough to use the space underneath for parking, but that is definitely not the case.

Offline JamesH65

• Liked: 739
  • Likes Given: 8
« Reply #742 on: 01/05/2018 12:03 pm »
I'm a little surprised that the solar panels are mounted so close to the ground.  Looks difficult to clean vegetation out from under them that low.  A little higher and the maintenance people could get underneath with a trimmer.  Originally I thought the panels would be high enough to use the space underneath for parking, but that is definitely not the case.

In the UK sheep are often left to roam solar fields, do a good job of keeping vegetation down.

Online meekGee

• N. California
  • Liked: 5707
  • Likes Given: 965
« Reply #743 on: 01/05/2018 02:05 pm »
The array is going up fast. It's starting to look like a solar farm.
 I did a little measuring and counting and came up with a few numbers. It turns out the old rule of thumb being 250kw an acre was pretty dated.
 With 330W panels and each 12 panel rack taking 360 square feet, including the space between racks I get exactly 11 watts per square foot for this field. There are 160 racks, or 1,920 panels for 633.6 kw over 1.32 acres, or exactly 480kw an acre.
 So, if you make the path between racks a few inches smaller, you could figure half a megawatt per acre with this setup. There may be codes in some places requiring less ground coverage for large arrays.
 It seems a little odd they're pointed at about 225 degrees. Maybe afternoon air conditioning is the load they worry about most.

I got spoiled with my little pocket camera. 1080 photos just don't look good anymore.

So is the plan to use the PV Solar to charge Tesla Powerpacks and build the project with self generated power? 

A half megawatt with battery storage should go along way at supporting most of the construction.
Itíll go a huge way, especially since 99.99% of construction vehicles are diesel...
That's the only way, since the tractors are half a MWatt each....
ABCD - Always Be Counting Down

Offline Dave G

• Liked: 1248
  • Likes Given: 1338
« Reply #744 on: 01/05/2018 10:06 pm »
Just want to say THANK YOU Nomadd.  This is so awesome.

Hear, hear.

Online meekGee

• N. California
  • Liked: 5707
  • Likes Given: 965
« Reply #745 on: 01/05/2018 10:27 pm »

In the UK sheep are often left to roam solar fields, do a good job of keeping vegetation down.

Electric sheep?
ABCD - Always Be Counting Down

Offline IanThePineapple

That happens by me too, Pocono Raceway has a multi-acre solar farm, and sheep cut its grass too.

Offline Kansan52

• Hutchinson, KS
  • Liked: 411
  • Likes Given: 438
« Reply #747 on: 01/05/2018 10:52 pm »
Roombas with spin trimmers.

Offline IanThePineapple

Roombas with spin trimmers.

Hey, if the OCISLY one is retired soon, it'll have a good retirement job  ;D

Offline Comga

• Liked: 1873
  • Likes Given: 1549
« Reply #749 on: 01/05/2018 10:56 pm »

Electric sheep?

An android's dream
What kind of wastrels would dump a perfectly good booster in the ocean after just one use?

Offline Dave G

« Reply #750 on: 01/05/2018 11:33 pm »
Note that the vast majority of solar systems in the U.S. are grid-tied, with no batteries.

Also, if I'm not mistaken, when they ran fiber-optic cables to Boca Chica last year, they also ran new electrical power lines to the area.  Nomadd, do I have this right?
No new electric yet, but the company guy marking lines last week said there was some on the way...
So for the solar array they're installing now, there's still a possibility it may be grid-tied without Tesla Powerpacks.

Am I missing something here?

Offline groundbound

• Liked: 223
  • Likes Given: 9
« Reply #751 on: 01/05/2018 11:58 pm »

Sheep also generate methane, though it would take a lot of them to fuel a BFR.

Offline Nomadd

• Boca Chica, Texas
« Reply #752 on: 01/06/2018 12:19 am »

Maybe you finally figured out what the F in BFR stands for.
Those who danced were thought to be quite insane by those who couldn't hear the music.

Offline nacnud

• Extreme Veteran
  • Liked: 662
  • Likes Given: 260
« Reply #753 on: 01/06/2018 12:26 am »

Cows generate more methane than sheep, and seem more appropriate to Texas.

Bio-Fueled Rocket! That's what you meant, right?

Offline Nomadd

• Boca Chica, Texas
« Reply #754 on: 01/06/2018 12:27 am »
So for the solar array they're installing now, there's still a possibility it may be grid-tied without Tesla Powerpacks.
Am I missing something here?
Elephino. The guy in charge of getting the site done wasn't sure exactly what they're going to do with all those watts. Even if it is mostly for A/C you'd still need battery or enough public utility available for passing clouds and such.
« Last Edit: 01/06/2018 12:28 am by Nomadd »

Offline Nomadd

• Boca Chica, Texas
« Reply #755 on: 01/06/2018 12:33 am »

Cows generate more methane than sheep, and seem more appropriate to Texas.

Bio-Fueled Rocket! That's what you meant, right?
Not exactly. It would make it hard to ever watch a launch again without thinking idiots, baked beans and cigarette lighters.

Offline TripD

• Waiting for longer boats
  • Liked: 582
  • Likes Given: 436
« Reply #756 on: 01/06/2018 02:21 am »
So, just looking at the image of the solar array, I don't see any obvious way to change the tilt of them.  Is there a plan for hurricane season?  Just let em fly? 

BTW,  thanks for your excellent coverage down there Nomadd!

Online docmordrid

• Michigan
  • Liked: 2845
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #757 on: 01/06/2018 03:04 am »
Sheep at solar farms here too.

Someone tried goats, but they couldn't resist climbing up on the panels.
« Last Edit: 01/06/2018 03:05 am by docmordrid »
DM

Offline Dave G

« Reply #758 on: 01/06/2018 03:39 am »
So, just looking at the image of the solar array, I don't see any obvious way to change the tilt of them.
Right.  The solar panels being installed at Boca Chica appear to be permanently tilted to the South-West.

From what I understand, tilting the panels directly South would provide the maximum solar radiation, i.e. the most solar power.  With the Boca Chica solar panels tilted South-West, this will provide a little less power overall, but a little more power in the afternoon, when the outside temperature is highest.

Speculation: If they were planning to install 24 hours worth of Tesla Powerpack battery storage, it seems to me they would have tilted the panels to the South, to maximize total power output.

Is there a plan for hurricane season?  Just let em fly?
I've thought about this as well.  No answers.

Offline Kenp51d

• Modesto, CA
  • Liked: 27
  • Likes Given: 21
« Reply #759 on: 01/06/2018 04:26 am »
2 questions if i may ask NOMADD
How far are you from Spacex?
And were the pics you took with your mast camera optical zoom or was there some degree of electronic zoom (pretty sure I phrased that badly)?
That really is super cool.

Ken

Sent from my V10 using Tapatalk

Tags: