Author Topic: SpaceX Texas launch site Discussion and Updates - Thread 6  (Read 523805 times)

Offline Jim

• Night Gator
  • Cape Canaveral Spaceport
  • Liked: 11452
  • Likes Given: 338
Re: SpaceX Texas launch site Discussion and Updates - Thread 6
« Reply #500 on: 12/15/2017 04:44 pm »
LC-40 is back online with a successful launch December 15th for CRS-13.   The pad that delayed Contruction is officially active not long at all before we literally see SpaceX people.  Falcon heavy is the last step then Rhey come back to Boca Chica.  Really good news

Not really.  There may never be a F9/FH at Boca Chica.
He was obviously refering to FH at 39A being the last step before the pad crew is freed up. It might not be accurate depending on crew mods.

I meant that the pad crew may never come down to build any type of Falcon pad

Online rockets4life97

• Liked: 345
  • Likes Given: 267
« Reply #501 on: 12/15/2017 04:50 pm »
LC-40 is back online with a successful launch December 15th for CRS-13.   The pad that delayed Contruction is officially active not long at all before we literally see SpaceX people.  Falcon heavy is the last step then Rhey come back to Boca Chica.  Really good news

He was obviously refering to FH at 39A being the last step before the pad crew is freed up. It might not be accurate depending on crew mods.

SPITexas said come down to Boca Chica. They didn't say come down to build a F9/FH pad.

Offline HIP2BSQRE

• Regular
  • Liked: 42
  • Likes Given: 14
« Reply #502 on: 12/15/2017 04:50 pm »

Jim,

So what type of pad if any do you see in Texas?

It seems like Jim has some insider info about SpaceX plans to delay BC construction and make it a BFR only pad from the start  ;D
Failure is not only an option, it's the only way to learn.
"Tradition is not the worship of ashes, but the custody of fire" - Gustav Mahler

Offline Jim

• Night Gator
« Reply #504 on: 12/15/2017 05:30 pm »

SPITexas said come down to Boca Chica. They didn't say come down to build a F9/FH pad.

It might be a while for that or maybe never too

Offline HIP2BSQRE

• Regular
  • Liked: 42
  • Likes Given: 14
« Reply #505 on: 12/15/2017 05:38 pm »

It might be a while for that or maybe never too

Jim,

Are you saying that you do not see Spacex rushing to build any type of pad in Texas soon (Within the next 12 -18 months)? 

Offline Jim

• Night Gator
« Reply #506 on: 12/15/2017 05:50 pm »
yes

Online SPITexas

• Liked: 134
  • Likes Given: 5
« Reply #507 on: 12/15/2017 06:12 pm »
yes
SpaceX didn’t forget about Boca Chica,  the Crewed dragon mods will happen in mid 2018 at 39A I think,
I can agree work on Boca Chica and Crew Dragon can happen.
 SpaceX senior spokesman James gleeson confirms they’ll be working on the site starting early 2018 after the FH rocket launches I mean after that what else are they gonna work on now?  Also BocaChicaGal confirmed that crane will be there awaiting the BFR for launch. The two tacking dishes are also expected to be operational next year.

Offline Lar

• Fan boy at large
  • Global Moderator
  • Saw Gemini live on TV
  • A large LEGO storage facility ... in Michigan
  • Liked: 8737
  • Likes Given: 7369
« Reply #508 on: 12/15/2017 06:13 pm »
yes

If they are going to stop, now's a better time than any later time since they have so far invested relatively little compared to the end state.

The CRS-13 webcast presenters repeatedly mentioned "SpaceX has 3 operational pads" without even once mentioning Boca Chica, IIRC...
"I think it would be great to be born on Earth and to die on Mars. Just hopefully not at the point of impact." -Elon Musk
"We're a little bit like the dog who caught the bus" - Musk after CRS-8 S1 successfully landed on ASDS OCISLY

Online stcks

• Liked: 239
  • Likes Given: 281
« Reply #509 on: 12/15/2017 06:21 pm »
yes

If they are going to stop, now's a better time than any later time since they have so far invested relatively little compared to the end state.

The CRS-13 webcast presenters repeatedly mentioned "SpaceX has 3 operational pads" without even once mentioning Boca Chica, IIRC...

With the dwindling number of future GTO contracts, one does really wonder what Boca Chica solves for SpaceX. Two east coast pads, both capable of quick turn around, are more than enough to satisfy their current manifest. Boca Chica is useless for basically everything except GTO and BEO missions (what was it, 27 degrees or so and thats basically it?).

Online docmordrid

• Michigan
  • Liked: 2844
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #510 on: 12/15/2017 06:31 pm »
ISTM, if BFR/BFS get involved with the Deep Space Gateway and it does lunar landings, these help subsidize Mars and test hardware at a lower risk.
« Last Edit: 12/15/2017 06:32 pm by docmordrid »
DM

Offline RotoSequence

• Liked: 932
  • Likes Given: 937
« Reply #511 on: 12/15/2017 06:32 pm »

With the dwindling number of future GTO contracts, one does really wonder what Boca Chica solves for SpaceX. Two east coast pads, both capable of quick turn around, are more than enough to satisfy their current manifest. Boca Chica is useless for basically everything except GTO and BEO missions (what was it, 27 degrees or so and thats basically it?).

They were planning to use it for BFR missions to Mars, last time I checked.

Offline Jim

• Night Gator
« Reply #512 on: 12/15/2017 06:39 pm »
The two tacking dishes are also expected to be operational next year.

Those are independent of the launch site.

FH rocket launches I mean after that what else are they gonna work on now? 

what says they have to work on anything at that time?
« Last Edit: 12/15/2017 06:40 pm by Jim »

Offline Lar

• Fan boy at large
  • Global Moderator
  • Saw Gemini live on TV
« Reply #513 on: 12/15/2017 06:44 pm »
what says they have to work on anything at that time?

The SpaceX MO appears to be get a crew honed at what it needs to be good at, then keep it busy. We saw this apparent behavior with engines. The engine design team is kept busy moving from project to project. While perhaps a pad construction crew isn't QUITE the same level of rocket science, it would be foolish to build a team, then dissipate it, then have to reassemble and reskill a new team a few years later. So I would expect the pad team to transition over to BC after all the LC-40 anomalies[1] are scrubbed out, even if they don't work at a frenzied pace with lots of subcontractors.

1 - for example, apparently a crescent shaped piece of the TEL came off during launch... they probably don't want that to happen again, so the pad team might be tasked with some minor TEL rework to prevent it.
"I think it would be great to be born on Earth and to die on Mars. Just hopefully not at the point of impact." -Elon Musk
"We're a little bit like the dog who caught the bus" - Musk after CRS-8 S1 successfully landed on ASDS OCISLY

Offline Jim

• Night Gator
« Reply #514 on: 12/15/2017 06:54 pm »

The SpaceX MO appears to be get a crew honed at what it needs to be good at, then keep it busy. We saw this apparent behavior with engines. The engine design team is kept busy moving from project to project. While perhaps a pad construction crew isn't QUITE the same level of rocket science, it would be foolish to build a team, then dissipate it, then have to reassemble and reskill a new team a few years later. So I would expect the pad team to transition over to BC after all the LC-40 anomalies[1] are scrubbed out, even if they don't work at a frenzied pace with lots of subcontractors.

1 - for example, apparently a crescent shaped piece of the TEL came off during launch... they probably don't want that to happen again, so the pad team might be tasked with some minor TEL rework to prevent it.

Spacex may have a in-house design crew, but I don't think they have a roving pad construction team.  Local contractors do much of the work.

Anyways, there are BFR test facilities at McGregor or elsewhere that will be needed before a BFR pad

Also, a TEL team is a small component of a pad team.
« Last Edit: 12/15/2017 06:56 pm by Jim »

Online docmordrid

• Michigan
  • Liked: 2844
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #515 on: 12/15/2017 07:09 pm »

>
Anyways, there are BFR test facilities at McGregor or elsewhere that will be needed before a BFR pad
>

There are Raptor engine test facilities at McGregor, as in testing them singly, but BFR facilities (several  clustered engines) would likely run afoul of the McGregor noise limits imposed a couple of years ago. I believe these limit tests to something around 2 million lbf. Not to mention the difficulties of transporting 9 meter, and very long, stages by road.

ISTM BFR/BFS tests will need to be done  near or on the pad. This seems to indicate Boca Chica coming online earlier rather than later - or never.
« Last Edit: 12/15/2017 07:20 pm by docmordrid »
DM

Offline Lar

• Fan boy at large
  • Global Moderator
  • Saw Gemini live on TV
« Reply #516 on: 12/15/2017 07:15 pm »

Spacex may have a in-house design crew, but I don't think they have a roving pad construction team.  Local contractors do much of the work.

Also, a TEL team is a small component of a pad team.
You're not disagreeing with me, even if you think you are :).  Yes, a core crew augmented with trades as needed is what I meant. Yes there may be test facility work. Yes, TEL isn't everything for a pad, but it was an example of an anomaly just seen. There likely are other things (not related to the TEL) they'll want to correct at SLC-40 before being "done" (SpaceX is never done, they always iterate but...)

Offline BadgerLegs

• North Carolina Sandhills
  • Liked: 54
  • Likes Given: 29
« Reply #517 on: 12/15/2017 07:22 pm »
yes
The presenter also failed to mention that they were going to land back at CCAFS until after the rocket was airborne.  Also failed to mention that there are now TWO landing pads at CCAFS (clearly visible in the video).  Omission is not admission.

Online rcoppola

• USA
  • Liked: 1490
  • Likes Given: 649
« Reply #518 on: 12/15/2017 07:39 pm »
I just don't think there is any rush to bring BC on-line at this point. BFR build/test/launch is better situated in FL imo. Except for future (SLS-tbd), NG and Vulcan test and launch campaigns, I don't see that much range pressure. And if hypothetically, BFR calls FL home and they plan to have a pad ready for it in 3 years time? TX feels like it has devolved into a backup pad. Not a primary growth driver. At least not right now, perhaps ever.
Sail the oceans of space and set foot upon new lands!
http://www.stormsurgemedia.com

Offline jpo234

• Liked: 1447
  • Likes Given: 492
« Reply #519 on: 12/15/2017 09:16 pm »
There are always the Starlink flights. Can the range handle the current flight rate plus Starlink? The 45th said a few months ago, that they will be able to support 48 launches per year at some point in the future. That would not be enough for SpaceX alone, not to mention the other tenants of the eastern range.
You want to be inspired by things. You want to wake up in the morning and think the future is going to be great. That's what being a spacefaring civilization is all about. It's about believing in the future and believing the future will be better than the past. And I can't think of anything more exciting than being out there among the stars.

Tags: