Author Topic: General ISS Q&A thread  (Read 667534 times)

Offline dutch courage

• Extreme Veteran
  • Liked: 0
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: General ISS Q&A thread
« Reply #60 on: 10/20/2006 02:01 pm »
dbhyslop - 20/10/2006  3:48 AM

Jorge - 19/10/2006  9:39 PM
After the shuttle fleet is retired, all six will rotate on Soyuz and there will be no tourists seats until either COTS or Orion becomes available, or Russia ramps up Soyuz production further to add dedicated tourist flights.

Since they're going to have to double the flight rate just for ISS staffing, is it realistic from an operational perspective that there would be additional flights just for tourists?

An extra seat would be available if the four persons ACTS would be developed befor the Shuttle retirement. Although I don't see this happening before 2014.

Offline Jim

• Night Gator
  • Cape Canaveral Spaceport
  • Liked: 11484
  • Likes Given: 340
« Reply #61 on: 10/20/2006 03:02 pm »
ACTS?

Offline bobthemonkey

« Reply #62 on: 10/20/2006 03:07 pm »
advanced crew transportation system - RSA/ESA joint venture to develop a new vehicle.  Its in a bit of a political quagmire at the moment. If I wasa betting man then Id say if anything comes from it, its going to be a Guyana launched soyuz with some technology from ATV and maybe the zond heatshield. But thats a guess, and proably too optimistic.

Offline mr.columbus

• Extreme Veteran
« Reply #63 on: 10/20/2006 04:01 pm »
Jorge - 19/10/2006  9:39 PM

Spirit - 19/10/2006  3:36 PM

I don't understand that. There will be 4 Souyzes. The first two will transport x3 astrounats that are members of a 6 moth expedition. Then the second two will transport the 6 crew members of the next expedition 6 moths later. So where are the tourists?

Same place they are now, in the third seat of the Soyuz, at least until September 2010. Currently ISS has a crew of three, with one rotating on shuttle and the other two rotating on Soyuz. That opens up the third seat on Soyuz for a tourist. The same scheme can continue when the crew goes to six, with four on Soyuz and two on shuttle, leaving two seats open for tourists. After the shuttle fleet is retired, all six will rotate on Soyuz and there will be no tourists seats until either COTS or Orion becomes available, or Russia ramps up Soyuz production further to add dedicated tourist flights.
--
JRF

There seems to be another way to go that people are often forgetting about. As someone else has mentioned on another thread, the next generation of Soyuz (starting 2008) will be certified to stay on orbit for 1 year. That means you could just leave the flight rate at 2 Soyuz per year and increase the crew rotation periods from 6 months to 12 months.

That said, Soyuz flight rates of 4 per year are not a condition for a permanent crew of 6. The real bottleneck are Progress flights which will have to be increased from currently 4 a year to at least 6 a year.

Offline Danderman

• Extreme Veteran
  • Liked: 385
  • Likes Given: 468
« Reply #64 on: 10/21/2006 01:39 am »
That said, Soyuz flight rates of 4 per year are not a condition for a permanent crew of 6. The real bottleneck are Progress flights which will have to be increased from currently 4 a year to at least 6 a year.

I believe the real plan is to continue the 4 Progress per year, and have ESA pay its common ops costs via cargo transport on ATV, and for JAXA to do the same with HTV. That is how they get to a 6 person crew; excepting that its TBD how 4 Soyuz a year get paid for.

Offline MKremer

• Elite Veteran
  • Liked: 28
  • Likes Given: 896
« Reply #65 on: 10/21/2006 02:16 am »
If ATV is successful, it's probably worth at least a couple of Progress vehicles per year (supplies/gasses/thrust), so I can't see a need for extra Progress flights for a 6-person crew, in that case.
Also, don't forget JAXA's supply vehicle is within that period (assuming it finishes development and flies within the current projected schedule).

Offline dutch courage

• Extreme Veteran
« Reply #66 on: 10/21/2006 03:25 pm »
Danderman - 21/10/2006  3:22 AM

I believe the real plan is to continue the 4 Progress per year, and have ESA pay its common ops costs via cargo transport on ATV, and for JAXA to do the same with HTV. That is how they get to a 6 person crew; excepting that its TBD how 4 Soyuz a year get paid for.

With the high oil and natural gas prices Russia is making a lot of money. Ofcourse how the money is divided is always a hot issue.

Offline Spirit

• Veteran
« Reply #67 on: 10/21/2006 04:51 pm »
I watched the latest ISS assembly video on www.nasa.gov and I saw several elements that are not included in the latest ISS Configuration model. Which are the components in red on this screen shot and what are their functions?
Regards,
Atanas

Offline Jim

• Night Gator
  • Cape Canaveral Spaceport
  • Liked: 11484
  • Likes Given: 340
« Reply #68 on: 10/21/2006 04:56 pm »
Pre positioned spare ORU's, which might be carried on 3 of the last 4 flights

Offline Spirit

• Veteran
« Reply #69 on: 10/21/2006 05:57 pm »
So the ORUs will contain CMGs, pumps and other stuff of that sort?
Regards,
Atanas

Offline Spirit

• Veteran
« Reply #70 on: 10/23/2006 07:14 pm »
Who docks and undocks the Progress ships - the ISS crew or the ground control?
Regards,
Atanas

Offline Spiff

• Veteran
  • Utrecht - The Netherlands
  • Liked: 3
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #71 on: 10/23/2006 08:54 pm »
automatic afaik. Manual back up by Tyurin if things go wrong.
I always consider space to be the FIRST frontier.

Online hop

• Liked: 499
  • Likes Given: 852
« Reply #72 on: 10/23/2006 09:42 pm »
Spiff - 23/10/2006  1:37 PM

automatic afaik. Manual back up by Tyurin if things go wrong.
Indeed, the ground has no capability for real-time remote control. AFAIK undockings are normally pre-programmed from the ground. Of course, the crew still has to button up the hatches etc. beforehand.

Offline Spirit

• Veteran
« Reply #73 on: 10/23/2006 09:51 pm »
AFAIK undockings?
Regards,
Atanas

Offline reubenb

• Chicago, IL
  • Likes Given: 2
« Reply #74 on: 10/24/2006 06:49 am »
(As Far As I Know)

Offline Danderman

• Extreme Veteran
« Reply #75 on: 10/26/2006 04:07 pm »
With the new truss segment, are there new cameras available that are farther from the center of the station than the previous cameras? I was wondering why the views of the latest Progress docking could not image the approaching vehicle (on the -V bar).

Offline dutch courage

• Extreme Veteran
« Reply #76 on: 10/27/2006 02:44 pm »
Danderman - 26/10/2006  5:50 PM

With the new truss segment, are there new cameras available that are farther from the center of the station than the previous cameras? I was wondering why the views of the latest Progress docking could not image the approaching vehicle (on the -V bar).

The best view would be from the aft Zvezda (SM) windows. Thomas Reiter made some photo's of the approaching Progress out of the Zvezda windows.

The external TV camera's can't be placed further out or else they would be (in future anyway) rotating all the time. ;)

Offline Danderman

• Extreme Veteran
« Reply #77 on: 10/27/2006 04:48 pm »
I am still trying to find a photo of that aft window!

Offline dutch courage

• Extreme Veteran
« Reply #78 on: 10/28/2006 01:05 pm »
Danderman - 27/10/2006  6:31 PM

I am still trying to find a photo of that aft window!

After some searching I found a Zvezda details page with near the bottom a number of detailed drawings of Zvezda.
In the 'Forward view' you can see Window 26 which faces aft.

Go to: http://www.suzymchale.com/mks/sm.html

Offline Danderman

• Extreme Veteran
« Reply #79 on: 10/28/2006 05:23 pm »
Yep, there it is, thanks.