Author Topic: SpaceX Manifest Updates and Discussion Thread 5  (Read 322381 times)

Offline vaporcobra

• Tacoma, WA
  • Liked: 2935
  • Likes Given: 3078
Re: SpaceX Manifest Updates and Discussion Thread 5
« Reply #240 on: 02/01/2018 12:29 am »
Im really sorry to be stupid but... If Hispasat is going to launch on 15 Feb, does anyone have an estimate of launch time.  Since Im headed to Daytona for speed week, Id love to get to see the launch instead of going to Thursday nights races.

I wouldn't plan on Feb 15 at this point. I believe that is a public placeholder for "mid-February" at this point in time, we haven't been given a more specific date yet.
« Last Edit: 02/01/2018 12:29 am by gongora »

Offline gongora

• Global Moderator
  • US
  • Liked: 4127
  • Likes Given: 2353
« Reply #241 on: 02/01/2018 12:47 pm »
Tweet from Airbus Space:
Spanish radar #satellite #PAZ, built by @AirbusSpace, to be launched on the 17th of Feb. with a @SpaceX #Falcon9 rocket.

Offline gongora

• Global Moderator
  • US
« Reply #242 on: 02/01/2018 02:32 pm »
Im really sorry to be stupid but... If Hispasat is going to launch on 15 Feb, does anyone have an estimate of launch time.  Since Im headed to Daytona for speed week, Id love to get to see the launch instead of going to Thursday nights races.

I wouldn't plan on Feb 15 at this point. I believe that is a public placeholder for "mid-February" at this point in time, we haven't been given a more specific date yet.

...and there it goes.  Moving at least a week to the right.

https://spaceflightnow.com/launch-schedule/
http://www.launchphotography.com/Delta_4_Atlas_5_Falcon_9_Launch_Viewing.html

Offline drnscr

• Liked: 37
  • Likes Given: 19
« Reply #243 on: 02/01/2018 03:35 pm »

...and there it goes.  Moving at least a week to the right.

https://spaceflightnow.com/launch-schedule/

Guess Ill be at Daytona International Speedway for the races
http://www.launchphotography.com/Delta_4_Atlas_5_Falcon_9_Launch_Viewing.html

Offline Bubbinski

« Reply #244 on: 02/02/2018 07:34 pm »
Id be very interested in the latest info on the TESS launch, planning a launch trip. Is March 20 doable or is it moving to the right like one note upthread hinted?
I'll even excitedly look forward to "flags and footprints" and suborbital missions. Just fly...somewhere.

Offline gongora

• Global Moderator
  • US
« Reply #245 on: 02/02/2018 07:38 pm »
Id be very interested in the latest info on the TESS launch, planning a launch trip. Is March 20 doable or is it moving to the right like one note upthread hinted?

I haven't seen anything about the TESS date moving.  That doesn't mean it won't.   \_(ツ)_/

Offline Dante2121

• United States
  • Liked: 27
  • Likes Given: 91
« Reply #246 on: 02/04/2018 10:54 am »
The relative lack of launches in 2019 is concerning for spacex's long term ability to fund BFR.  Seems like once they are through this year they have little left to do.

Offline ATPTourFan

• Liked: 33
  • Likes Given: 1203
« Reply #247 on: 02/04/2018 12:55 pm »
Why do we have a tendency to worry about such things simply due to lack of information shared with the public? I feel it's better to take the position that SpaceX has tons of very, very smart people who achieve extraordinary things by making good decisions and well-informed, yet flexible plans.

Offline AncientU

• Liked: 4123
  • Likes Given: 5668
« Reply #248 on: 02/04/2018 05:48 pm »
The relative lack of launches in 2019 is concerning for spacex's long term ability to fund BFR.  Seems like once they are through this year they have little left to do.

Launch revenue isn't funding BFR... according to EM.  The Starlink constellation is the revenue stream.  2019 is kick-off year to get it launched, so only having 15-20 flights to cover for others leaves room for 20 or more of their own flights; this should get something like the first half of 800 sats launched -- the minimum number needed to go operational.  These 20 or whatever number of launches are not shown on this thread's manifest, but maybe should be added in some 'bulk' form.
« Last Edit: 02/04/2018 05:49 pm by AncientU »
"If we shared everything [we are working on] people would think we are insane!"
-- SpaceX friend of mlindner

Offline jpo234

• Liked: 1447
  • Likes Given: 492
« Reply #249 on: 02/04/2018 06:11 pm »
How does the global manifest look like for that year?
You want to be inspired by things. You want to wake up in the morning and think the future is going to be great. That's what being a spacefaring civilization is all about. It's about believing in the future and believing the future will be better than the past. And I can't think of anything more exciting than being out there among the stars.

Offline pb2000

• Calgary, AB
  • Liked: 251
  • Likes Given: 153
« Reply #250 on: 02/04/2018 06:44 pm »
At the price point SpaceX is offering, I don't think they're going to have any trouble keeping the manifest full for the foreseeable future.
Launches attended: Worldview-4 (Atlas V 401), Iridium NEXT Flight 1 (Falcon 9 FT), PAZ+Starlink (Falcon 9 FT), Arabsat-6A (Falcon Heavy)

Offline gongora

• Global Moderator
  • US
« Reply #251 on: 02/04/2018 09:29 pm »
This thread is for the flights on the SpaceX manifest.

Offline Lar

• Fan boy at large
  • Global Moderator
  • Saw Gemini live on TV
  • A large LEGO storage facility ... in Michigan
  • Liked: 8756
  • Likes Given: 7375
« Reply #252 on: 02/04/2018 09:48 pm »
Pursuant to that, it's too early to put any notional StarLink launches on, no? Or is it?
"I think it would be great to be born on Earth and to die on Mars. Just hopefully not at the point of impact." -Elon Musk
"We're a little bit like the dog who caught the bus" - Musk after CRS-8 S1 successfully landed on ASDS OCISLY

Offline IanThePineapple

« Reply #253 on: 02/04/2018 10:01 pm »
Pursuant to that, it's too early to put any notional StarLink launches on, no? Or is it?

I think it's too early, we know very little about Starlink at this point.

Heck, we don't even know where they will launch from, and on which vehicle. F9? FH? BFR? Cape? Vandy?

Online Robotbeat

• Minnesota
  • Liked: 9032
  • Likes Given: 5796
« Reply #254 on: 02/06/2018 02:44 am »

I think it's too early, we know very little about Starlink at this point.

Heck, we don't even know where they will launch from, and on which vehicle. F9? FH? BFR? Cape? Vandy?
Yes. To all those.
Chris  Whoever loves correction loves knowledge, but he who hates reproof is stupid.

To the maximum extent practicable, the Federal Government shall plan missions to accommodate the space transportation services capabilities of United States commercial providers. US law http://goo.gl/YZYNt0

Offline rockets4life97

• Liked: 351
  • Likes Given: 270
« Reply #255 on: 02/07/2018 11:26 am »

SpaceX Vice President of Build and flight reliability, Hans Koenigsmann, spoke at the SmallSat Symposium yesterday. He said SpaceX now has a greater than $12 Billion in manifest backlog. Here is the relevant tweet from Peter B. de Spelding.

if someone wants to do some math, they could pull out the Commercial Resupply Services and Commercial Crew numbers out of that 12 Billion and estimate how many future commercial satellite launches haven't been announced. My guess is there is little concern for SpaceX's 2019 manifest and beyond.

Offline rsdavis9

« Reply #256 on: 02/07/2018 03:38 pm »
How can an expendable return (Govsat) be unsuccessful?  ???
They were testing a landing burn without having anything to actually land on. It didn't sink and appeared to have remained intact. Or at least it didn't sink straight away. There's a speculative recovery thread on Reddit: https://www.reddit.com/r/spacex/comments/7uw4ly/b01322_the_falcon_that_could_recovery_thread/

By contrast, the FH Centre Core is reported to have broken up on impact with the ocean, after missing the drone ship, due to two engines not igniting for the landing burn (Elon Musk in the post-launch press conference).

Sent from my Swift 2 Plus using Tapatalk

also 300 mph from press conf.
With ELV best efficiency was the paradigm. The new paradigm is reusable, good enough, and commonality of design.
Same engines. Design once. Same vehicle. Design once. Reusable. Build once.

Offline sewebster

• British Columbia
  • Liked: 186
  • Likes Given: 139
« Reply #257 on: 02/08/2018 03:12 am »
Shouldn't the next few Vandenberg launches be UTC-8? (showing as -7 in table)

Offline gongora

• Global Moderator
  • US
« Reply #258 on: 02/08/2018 03:16 am »
SpaceX filed a couple of FCC permits for a launch with ASDS recovery from SLC-40 (File Numbers 0210-EX-ST-2018 & 0211-EX-ST-2018).  Start dates were 3/30 on the launch vehicle comms permit (for mission 1418) and 4/2 on the landing permit, so unless F9 learned how to stay up there a couple days I'm assuming that means NET 4/2.  I'm guessing that would be Bangabandhu-1?  Which would mean a slip of another few days for that mission.  It also is basically the same date and launch pad as the last info I've seen for CRS-14, so one of those is either going to slip some more or maybe CRS-14 switches pads?  My guess would be Bangabandhu-1 goes after CRS-14.  We'll get more information eventually.

Offline gongora

• Global Moderator
  • US
« Reply #259 on: 02/08/2018 03:18 am »
Shouldn't the next few Vandenberg launches be UTC-8? (showing as -7 in table)

The next one should be UTC-8 (apparently my brain confused February for March).

Tags: