Author Topic: NSF at IAC Mexico for the SpaceX Mars Announcement.  (Read 85767 times)

Offline Chris Bergin

Re: NSF at IAC Mexico for the SpaceX Mars Announcement.
« Reply #60 on: 07/09/2016 06:20 pm »
I wouldn't want to derail this thread, so anyone inquiring about lifetime just needs to PM me. My office door is always open ;D

--

Thanks again to the amazing community here! Not long now until Elon gives the mass media some headlines that doesn't involve the worst of humanity!
« Last Edit: 07/09/2016 06:22 pm by Chris Bergin »

Offline pospa

• Pardubice, CZ
  • Liked: 151
  • Likes Given: 607
« Reply #61 on: 07/10/2016 06:39 pm »
My contribution just sent.
Helo, fingers crossed for you to get space for at least 5 NSFers hard core questions to Elon!  ;)
Do we have an open thread somewhere to place our suggestions?

Btw, IAC agenda has changed - Elon's lecture moved from Friday to Tuesday 27th from 1:30 pm to 3:00 pm
https://www.iac2016.org/Congress.html#congress

Online Lar

• Fan boy at large
  • Global Moderator
  • Saw Gemini live on TV
  • A large LEGO storage facility ... in Michigan
  • Liked: 8720
  • Likes Given: 7353
« Reply #62 on: 07/11/2016 02:34 am »
My contribution just sent.
Helo, fingers crossed for you to get space for at least 5 NSFers hard core questions to Elon!  ;)
Do we have an open thread somewhere to place our suggestions?

Btw, IAC agenda has changed - Elon's lecture moved from Friday to Tuesday 27th from 1:30 pm to 3:00 pm
https://www.iac2016.org/Congress.html#congress

I hope that doesn't impact people who were going to attend only part of the conference for budget reasons....
"I think it would be great to be born on Earth and to die on Mars. Just hopefully not at the point of impact." -Elon Musk
"We're a little bit like the dog who caught the bus" - Musk after CRS-8 S1 successfully landed on ASDS OCISLY

Offline Helodriver

• Liked: 5660
  • Likes Given: 596
« Reply #63 on: 07/12/2016 03:31 pm »
I intend on being there for the whole event, every day, as long as it goes. Im going not just for the SpaceX panel, but will be asking questions and photographing other interesting presentations and displays too, as I did for Space Tech Expo, to generate many articles.

Offline Space Opera

• Liked: 84
  • Likes Given: 3
« Reply #64 on: 07/12/2016 03:43 pm »
Yep, a thread dedicated to questions to ask to Elon should definitely be useful.

Offline clongton

• Expert
  • Connecticut
    • Direct Launcher
  • Liked: 3043
  • Likes Given: 1228
« Reply #65 on: 07/13/2016 12:58 am »
Have fun at the event guys. Hopefully enough additional donations keep coming so that you don't have to count your change :)
Chuck - DIRECT co-founder
I started my career on the Saturn-V F-1A engine

Offline Space Opera

• Liked: 84
  • Likes Given: 3
« Reply #66 on: 07/20/2016 09:15 am »
Elon Musk's session has now a name: "Colonizing Mars - A deep technical presentation on the space transport architecture needed to colonize Mars".

"Deep technical presentation"... ;D

Online Lar

• Fan boy at large
  • Global Moderator
  • Saw Gemini live on TV
  • A large LEGO storage facility ... in Michigan
  • Liked: 8720
  • Likes Given: 7353
« Reply #67 on: 07/20/2016 11:58 am »
1 hour isn't going to be that deep. At least there's not another talk right after him in the same room.

Some other fascinating topics!
"I think it would be great to be born on Earth and to die on Mars. Just hopefully not at the point of impact." -Elon Musk
"We're a little bit like the dog who caught the bus" - Musk after CRS-8 S1 successfully landed on ASDS OCISLY

Offline FutureSpaceTourist

• UK
    • Plan 28
  • Liked: 9152
  • Likes Given: 3130
« Reply #68 on: 07/20/2016 07:37 pm »
I note the 'space transport architecture' in the title. So BFR & MCT, perhaps something about FH & Red Dragon, but I'm guessing not much in terms of colony details etc.

Offline Robotbeat

• Minnesota
  • Liked: 9025
  • Likes Given: 5793
« Reply #69 on: 07/21/2016 01:32 am »
I note the 'space transport architecture' in the title. So BFR & MCT, perhaps something about FH & Red Dragon, but I'm guessing not much in terms of colony details etc.
Well, probably includes ISRU, enough to fuel up the MCT/BFS. And the stuff to power that. And early missions which will use BFS as the surface hab.
Chris  Whoever loves correction loves knowledge, but he who hates reproof is stupid.

To the maximum extent practicable, the Federal Government shall plan missions to accommodate the space transportation services capabilities of United States commercial providers. US law http://goo.gl/YZYNt0

Offline Tuts36

• Memphis, TN
  • Liked: 156
  • Likes Given: 1267
« Reply #70 on: 07/26/2016 09:48 pm »
Just resubbed to L2 for a year (finally got that fiscal year bonus check!) and I've added a little extra for this.  Not too late to add funds to the IAC jar, hopefully?

Offline guckyfan

• Germany
  • Liked: 1899
  • Likes Given: 1964
« Reply #71 on: 08/20/2016 06:41 am »
An eMail that seems to have gone out to participants.

Dear IAC Participants,

The 67th International Astronautical Congress, to be held in Guadalajara, Mexico, from 26-30 September 2016 will welcome SpaceX founder, CEO, and Lead Designer Elon Musk.

On the second day [September 27th] of the IAC, during a special keynote entitled "Making Humans a Multiplanetary Species", Musk will discuss the long-term technical challenges that need to be solved to support the creation of a permanent, self-sustaining human presence on Mars. The technical presentation will focus on potential architectures for colonizing the Red Planet that industry, government and the scientific community can collaborate on in the years ahead.

What is this? A second presentation by Elon Musk, centered on future colonization plans. Or a cancellation of the big Mars reveal we were expecting, replaced by generic talk? I certainly hope not the latter.

Online docmordrid

• Michigan
  • Liked: 2839
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #72 on: 08/20/2016 08:16 am »
So Musk delivers the keynote, which IIRC is new, and the tech presentation sounds the same but with the prefix "potential." That could simply be the sponsors caution.
DM

Offline mikelepage

« Reply #73 on: 08/20/2016 01:26 pm »

Dear IAC Participants,

The 67th International Astronautical Congress, to be held in Guadalajara, Mexico, from 26-30 September 2016 will welcome SpaceX founder, CEO, and Lead Designer Elon Musk.

On the second day [September 27th] of the IAC, during a special keynote entitled "Making Humans a Multiplanetary Species", Musk will discuss the long-term technical challenges that need to be solved to support the creation of a permanent, self-sustaining human presence on Mars. The technical presentation will focus on potential architectures for colonizing the Red Planet that industry, government and the scientific community can collaborate on in the years ahead.

What is this? A second presentation by Elon Musk, centered on future colonization plans. Or a cancellation of the big Mars reveal we were expecting, replaced by generic talk? I certainly hope not the latter.

It just looks like one presentation to me (are you seeing day 2 and thinking presentation 2?) According to the time table upthread, Elon's presenting from 1:30-2:30pm on the Tuesday (day 2).

Offline guckyfan

• Germany
  • Liked: 1899
  • Likes Given: 1964
« Reply #74 on: 08/20/2016 01:38 pm »
It just looks like one presentation to me (are you seeing day 2 and thinking presentation 2?) According to the time table upthread, Elon's presenting from 1:30-2:30pm on the Tuesday (day 2).

Yes, I read this as the announcement of one presentation, I fully agree. However it does not sound at all like the presentation we expected. That's why I think there may be another presentation, not mentioned in the eMail.

Offline RonM

• Atlanta, Georgia USA
  • Liked: 1486
  • Likes Given: 1127
« Reply #75 on: 08/20/2016 01:49 pm »

Dear IAC Participants,

It's the same presentation listed above.

Offline CuddlyRocket

« Reply #76 on: 08/20/2016 09:37 pm »

Sounds exactly what we were expecting to me! 'Potential architectures' and 'technical challenges' will obviously include the transportation system; and if you're going to design a transportation system you better have some idea as to what you'll need to transport!

So Musk delivers the keynote, which IIRC is new, and the tech presentation sounds the same but with the prefix "potential."

Well, if you've got Musk outlining his Mars transportation system etc, what else are you going to call your keynote! And all colonisation architectures are 'potential' at this time.

Offline Robotbeat

• Minnesota
  • Liked: 9025
  • Likes Given: 5793
« Reply #77 on: 08/21/2016 12:29 am »
Musk has acknowledged in the past that colonization would take much more than just SpaceX. SpaceX may be the primary logistical provider, but building a self-sustaining city on Mars will require help from all over the world, from industry, academia, government, etc.
Chris  Whoever loves correction loves knowledge, but he who hates reproof is stupid.

To the maximum extent practicable, the Federal Government shall plan missions to accommodate the space transportation services capabilities of United States commercial providers. US law http://goo.gl/YZYNt0

Offline geza

• Budapest
    • Géza Meszéna's web page
  • Liked: 130
  • Likes Given: 38
« Reply #78 on: 08/21/2016 05:43 am »
Transportation architecture certainly includes production of return fuel. For this they have to mine regolit and extract water from it in large quantities: we are talking about hundreds of tons of water. Energy demand of this activity is also enormous. This is a larger surface operation than anybody envisioned before for an early Martian outpost. Current infos say that the first crew will launch (NET in '24) when crew return is assured. That is, they have to design and launch the autonomous regolit mining & water extraction equipment, together with the huge self-deploying solar panel system,  in '22, without any prior human experience with Martian soil and circumstances. They will design and build heavy surface equipments around an order of magnitude larger than any existing, or planned, Martian/Lunar rover. We have seen many-many detailed speculation about BFR/MCT, but almost nothing about the surface operation. If Elon will talk about the latter also in detail, I'll not mind if he spare us from fantasy figures on future Martian cities... He can rightly argue that the road is open, when he implements the reusable transport system.     

Offline su27k

• Liked: 1360
  • Likes Given: 120
« Reply #79 on: 08/21/2016 05:53 am »

I don't think it's generic talk, more like space policy talk, i.e. if there's a 3rd Augustine Commission, this would be one of the options for going forward. I assume it would still includes unveiling of their own Mars architecture, after all that's the major enabler of colonization: an affordable transportation system to Mars.

Tags: