Author Topic: NSF at IAC Mexico for the SpaceX Mars Announcement.  (Read 85818 times)

Offline RedLineTrain

• Liked: 565
  • Likes Given: 934
Re: NSF at IAC Mexico for the SpaceX Mars Announcement.
« Reply #40 on: 07/04/2016 12:32 am »
Definitely a worthy cause for what could be an historic announcement.

Best of luck to Helodriver.

Offline RedLineTrain

• Liked: 565
  • Likes Given: 934
« Reply #41 on: 07/04/2016 12:41 am »
Looking at the IAF YouTube channel, I wonder whether the IAF is set up to handle all of the interest in Musk's speech and the accompanying technical briefing.

Offline Unobscured Vision

« Reply #42 on: 07/04/2016 03:23 am »
Hiya folks, this'll be my first post here. Long time reader/lurker, purchased my L2 Subscription just a few days ago.  ;) Pleasure to meet you all.

I've kicked in some fundage to help represent NSF also. Hope it helps out!
Yep ... just ... yep.

Offline Lar

• Fan boy at large
  • Global Moderator
  • Saw Gemini live on TV
  • A large LEGO storage facility ... in Michigan
  • Liked: 8777
  • Likes Given: 7381
« Reply #43 on: 07/04/2016 03:24 am »
Looking at the IAF YouTube channel, I wonder whether the IAF is set up to handle all of the interest in Musk's speech and the accompanying technical briefing.

Someone should give them a heads up. Not that they will believe it.... but when they say "we know, it's going to be large interest and a high bandwidth thing" the thing to say is "you're probably underestimating by at least an order of magnitude"...
"I think it would be great to be born on Earth and to die on Mars. Just hopefully not at the point of impact." -Elon Musk
"We're a little bit like the dog who caught the bus" - Musk after CRS-8 S1 successfully landed on ASDS OCISLY

Offline theebag

• Netherlands
  • Liked: 20
  • Likes Given: 26
« Reply #44 on: 07/04/2016 12:17 pm »
Pitched something in, for drinks and stuff - also important :D. Have fun Helodriver !
« Last Edit: 07/04/2016 12:20 pm by theebag »
Floating around the globe.

Offline wing runner

• Missouri
  • Liked: 2
  • Likes Given: 185
« Reply #45 on: 07/04/2016 04:29 pm »
Proud lifetime member recently feeling that I still owe more for the awesome content.  25$ to further my support. love you guys 8)

Offline Eer

• Liked: 174
  • Likes Given: 266
« Reply #46 on: 07/04/2016 04:48 pm »

Someone should give them a heads up. Not that they will believe it.... but when they say "we know, it's going to be large interest and a high bandwidth thing" the thing to say is "you're probably underestimating by at least an order of magnitude"...

The thing to do would be to have Chris contact them about hosting the web stream ... or at least, point them at SpaceX' streaming site for an order of magnitude bandwidth estimate of potential interest.

Offline DigitalMan

• Liked: 185
  • Likes Given: 11
« Reply #47 on: 07/04/2016 04:58 pm »

The thing to do would be to have Chris contact them about hosting the web stream ... or at least, point them at SpaceX' streaming site for an order of magnitude bandwidth estimate of potential interest.

What's wrong with YouTube hosting it?

Offline sfxtd

• Slow, but Sure User
  • Los Angeles, CA
  • Liked: 37
  • Likes Given: 63
« Reply #48 on: 07/04/2016 05:03 pm »

It does seem like Google has more resources than NSF.

Offline Ionmars

• North Carolina, USA
  • Liked: 310
  • Likes Given: 695
« Reply #49 on: 07/04/2016 05:17 pm »
Just added my contribution. Helodriver, have a safer trip than MCT to Mars. :)
Starship can deliver a 7-story cargo module that could also be a habitat, a greenhouse, a nuclear plant, a laboratory or 27 other reagy-to-use apps for Alpha Base.

Offline Eer

• Liked: 174
  • Likes Given: 266
« Reply #50 on: 07/04/2016 07:03 pm »

You're right - if they're using Youtube or another major streaming site, no issues.  I just know NSF site has had to beef up its game to handle peak traffic, and that's really what I was thinking about.

I'm hoping there'll be live stream of the conference, or at least of the SpaceX presentations ...

Offline Chris Bergin

« Reply #51 on: 07/04/2016 09:38 pm »
I put some in too. I think it might make sense to set up a thread to start crafting suggested questions. Helodriver is highly competent and probably doesn't need help but it can't hurt...

Yeah, anyone who contributed will get put into a special access thread for that. I'll also be throwing in an extra surprise for those folk just ahead of when Elon takes the stage.  :o ;D

And we've reached the total to cover Derrick's costs! Amazing community support! Everyone that has contributed should have been sent a PM from me, per the above. If I messed up and left one person out (I get distracted when going through lists ;D) simply fire me a PM saying "Oi, Chris! You missed me!" :)

Offline Unobscured Vision

« Reply #52 on: 07/04/2016 09:49 pm »
I knew I was joining a top-tier Community when I subbed, but *wow*! You folks have truly impressed me and I'm pleased to have been able to help out. :) Hope it's just the beginning.
Yep ... just ... yep.

Offline AncientU

• Liked: 4123
  • Likes Given: 5668
« Reply #53 on: 07/05/2016 12:13 pm »
I knew I was joining a top-tier Community when I subbed, but *wow*! You folks have truly impressed me and I'm pleased to have been able to help out. :) Hope it's just the beginning.

Welcome to the forum!
Enjoy the ride.
"If we shared everything [we are working on] people would think we are insane!"
-- SpaceX friend of mlindner

Offline 411rocket

• Retired RCEME w/ tours in Cyprus, Croatia, Bosnia
  • Vancouver Island
  • Liked: 79
  • Likes Given: 122
« Reply #54 on: 07/05/2016 06:14 pm »
Lifetime member, just chipped in. Thank you Helodriver for the excellent coverage and NSF for being an oasis for us space geeks!

Same here.

If things go like the Dragon 2 Reveal, Helodriver will be getting some good questions in, to Elon.

Offline Bubbinski

« Reply #55 on: 07/07/2016 07:50 pm »
I just donated, have a good trip Helodriver!
I'll even excitedly look forward to "flags and footprints" and suborbital missions. Just fly...somewhere.

Offline PahTo

• Seattle
  • Liked: 186
  • Likes Given: 619
« Reply #56 on: 07/07/2016 08:02 pm »

Just stumbled across this thread.  Money sent--thanks for your effort on this, Helodriver, and as always, thanks to NSF for the excellent coverage and conversation about all things space!

Offline Nomadd

• Boca Chica, Texas
  • Liked: 13377
  • Likes Given: 437
« Reply #57 on: 07/07/2016 11:45 pm »
 I hope Helodriver spends more time at the actual convention than I did at those electronics shows the company use to send me to Vegas for.
Those who danced were thought to be quite insane by those who couldn't hear the music.

Offline Oersted

• Liked: 920
  • Likes Given: 479
« Reply #58 on: 07/09/2016 11:01 am »
I can't find info on the lifetime membership, but I'm interested. Could anybody pm me details if you can't just post it here?

Offline guckyfan

• Germany
  • Liked: 1906
  • Likes Given: 1968
« Reply #59 on: 07/09/2016 01:50 pm »
I can't find info on the lifetime membership, but I'm interested. Could anybody pm me details if you can't just post it here?

I hope someone else can give a better answer. But I could see that option only after my first subscription which was for one year.

Tags: