Author Topic: SpaceX - now a satellite manufacturer (Starlink)  (Read 718867 times)

Offline AncientU

• Liked: 4123
  • Likes Given: 5668
Re: SpaceX - now a satellite manufacturer (Starlink)
« Reply #60 on: 01/14/2015 02:06 pm »
Here's a transcript of the Bloomberg interview.

http://shitelonsays.com/transcript/musk-says-spacex-will-develop-satellites-in-seattle-2015-01-14

By the end his words-per-minute were making my fingers sting. I think he's excited about the new satellite office. :)

Thanks for the digital sacrifice!
Much easier to extract detail, and quotes...
"If we shared everything [we are working on] people would think we are insane!"
-- SpaceX friend of mlindner

Offline wannamoonbase

• Elite Veteran
  • Denver, CO
    • U.S. Metric Association
  • Liked: 780
  • Likes Given: 1289
« Reply #61 on: 01/14/2015 02:47 pm »
Here's a transcript of the Bloomberg interview.

http://shitelonsays.com/transcript/musk-says-spacex-will-develop-satellites-in-seattle-2015-01-14

By the end his words-per-minute were making my fingers sting. I think he's excited about the new satellite office. :)
Enormous thanks to you! Somehow Elon is the person whose english I understand the worst of all people I ever heard speaking.

He's not an eloquent speaker.  He is hard to listen too, but it's almost like you can see the ideas working inside his head and the reasoning behind what he is saying.  I find it fascinating. I can only imagine what his teachers and professors thought of the awkward brilliant kid when he was growing up.
Needing a copy of 'Tales of Suspense #39'

Offline speedevil

• Fife
  • Liked: 1770
  • Likes Given: 2151
« Reply #62 on: 01/14/2015 03:41 pm »
He's not an eloquent speaker.  He is hard to listen too, but it's almost like you can see the ideas working inside his head and the reasoning behind what he is saying.  I find it fascinating. I can only imagine what his teachers and professors thought of the awkward brilliant kid when he was growing up.
An eloquent speaker would have said 'There will be an interesting announcement on that at 9AM Friday'.

:)
His excitement really does come through, as does his lack of filter, which does good/bad.
'I think tesla is a bit overpriced at the moment' -> 5% stock loss.

If spaceX is doing lots of satellite busses - that raises all sorts of fun issues.

For coplanar deployments - a moderate sized ion tug possibly has interesting aspects.

They already have some rendevous experience with Dragon - is refuelling and module swapout sane?
I should really not be lazy and look up the cost of a co-planar phase change in GEO over say a month.

Certainly orbit managment of failed sats seems reasonable.

Offline meekGee

• N. California
  • Liked: 5702
  • Likes Given: 965
« Reply #63 on: 01/14/2015 03:58 pm »
He is not eloquent because he's not delivering rehearsed bullet points, but simply speaking his mind based on personal knowledge and opinion.

That's not common on TV, and so it stands out.  I find it sometimes difficult to pick out some of the words, but no problem understanding exactly what he means.
« Last Edit: 01/14/2015 03:59 pm by meekGee »
ABCD - Always Be Counting Down

Offline Callezetter

• Stockholm, Sweden
  • Liked: 39
  • Likes Given: 51
« Reply #64 on: 01/14/2015 04:05 pm »
Its also what makes Mr Musk so darn compelling to root for. He usually cuts right through all the corporate crap we are so used too. It brings out the childhood dreamer in the best of us. And thats a very powerful talent, indeed.
« Last Edit: 01/14/2015 04:30 pm by Callezetter »

Offline mr. mark

• Liked: 171
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #65 on: 01/14/2015 04:18 pm »
I think Musk's main talent is for disrupting current technologies and seeing new ways forward. The satellite business is just another example of that. I'm still thinking that Tesla and the emerging electric car market had something to do with lowering oil prices by the Saudi's. He's one big disrupter, Elon is.

Online macpacheco

• Vitoria-ES-Brazil
  • Liked: 347
  • Likes Given: 2703
« Reply #66 on: 01/14/2015 04:26 pm »
Mr Musk's way of speaking wreaks of honesty. Plenty of times he went out of his way to explain risks and downsides to what he's doing (instead of selling only the positives). After his amazing accomplishments, his way of speaking is one reason I'm an avid fan of everything he does.
Looking for companies doing great things for much more than money

Offline cosmonautdjp

• Liked: 26
  • Likes Given: 55
« Reply #67 on: 01/14/2015 07:11 pm »
There just has to be firewalls between the launch vehicle and spacecraft business, if they are to launch other companies' spacecraft and other companies' are going to launch their spacecraft.

What do you mean by "firewalls?"

Offline ArbitraryConstant

• Liked: 440
  • Likes Given: 253
« Reply #68 on: 01/14/2015 07:19 pm »
There just has to be firewalls between the launch vehicle and spacecraft business, if they are to launch other companies' spacecraft and other companies' are going to launch their spacecraft.

They can't just do something totally custom to streamline for their own payloads to the exclusion of others.

Offline Jim

• Night Gator
  • Cape Canaveral Spaceport
  • Liked: 11516
  • Likes Given: 342
« Reply #69 on: 01/14/2015 07:24 pm »

They can't share other companies' information internally.

Offline meekGee

• N. California
« Reply #70 on: 01/14/2015 07:31 pm »
Boeing makes satellites for different companies, as well as a launcher - how is this any different?   Of course there are measures they have to take to compartmentalize the customers

Offline Jdeshetler

• Silicon Valley, CA
  • Liked: 2557
  • Likes Given: 1779
« Reply #71 on: 01/14/2015 07:32 pm »

We sometime called it the "Chinese Wall".

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chinese_wall

Online Herb Schaltegger

« Reply #72 on: 01/14/2015 07:42 pm »
Boeing makes satellites for different companies, as well as a launcher - how is this any different?   Of course there are measures they have to take to compartmentalize the customers

Boeing historically is the reason for the very existence of so many laws and rules against horizontal integration in an industry. Look up the history of United Airlines, the various United Technologies companies, and Boeing Airplane Company sometime. ;)
Ad astra per aspirin ...

Offline sublimemarsupial

• Liked: 259
  • Likes Given: 3
« Reply #73 on: 01/14/2015 08:26 pm »

This will be impossible, as many of the same engineers will be working the launch vehicle side and the satellite side.

Offline Razvan

• United States
  • Liked: 21
  • Likes Given: 53
« Reply #74 on: 01/14/2015 09:07 pm »
I think Musk's main talent is for disrupting current technologies and seeing new ways forward. The satellite business is just another example of that. I'm still thinking that Tesla and the emerging electric car market had something to do with lowering oil prices by the Saudi's. He's one big disrupter, Elon is.
If your assumption is correct, and it may very well be, then it is safe to say Elon is going to cause a real industrial revolution, something similar to what the engine meant for the civilization

Offline mfck

• Office Plankton Representative
  • Israel
  • Liked: 237
  • Likes Given: 111
« Reply #75 on: 01/14/2015 09:38 pm »
If your assumption is correct, and it may very well be, then it is safe to say Elon is going to cause a real industrial revolution, something similar to what the engine meant for the civilization

His talent is so vast it frequently takes threads off topic in various fora
« Last Edit: 01/14/2015 09:38 pm by mfck »

Offline meekGee

• N. California
« Reply #76 on: 01/14/2015 09:46 pm »
... And still have 20 minutes left before lunchtime!

Offline Ronsmytheiii

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 924
  • Likes Given: 354
« Reply #77 on: 01/14/2015 09:58 pm »
Going to start off by showing just how expensive satellites are relative to LV's thanks to someone who knows both, Dr Antonio Elias of Orbital Sciences:

Back 10-15 years ago, the cost of launch averaged anywhere between 50% to 100% of the cost of the spacecraft.  Indeed, a classical "Mission Costs Rule of Thumb" used to say there are five nearly-equal pieces of the pie: Spacecraft Bus, Instrument(s), Launch, Ground Equipment and the Systems Engineering/Program Management glue that hold it together.

That is no longer true.

Today, ratios of 10:1 in the cost of spacecraft:cost of launch are not uncommon; two examples: the first SBRS GEO spacecraft will cost over $2B, and ride on a $175M EELV.  The first Minotaur IV, priced around $50M, will launch the SBSS spaceraft that cost over $500M.

I don't know the cost of the TACSAT-3 spacecraft, but it probably was several times what Orbital got for that launch!!!

Corollary 1: while given two identical rockets with identical reliability and performance customers will prefer the cheaper one ("relative price elasticity" is high) a FREE rocket will not increase the demand for rockets more than 10-20%, given the cost of the rest of the mission ("absolute price elasticity" is very low.)

Corollary 2: customers will gladly pay a significant premium on the launch service if it is PERCEIVED to increase its reliability in any significant amount.

These are two lessons we learned the hard way.

http://forum.nasaspaceflight.com/index.php?topic=16645.60

So now even with a reduction in launch prices, the number of launches wont increase that much.  Plus, with up to 10:1 spacecraft to LV cost ratio, they do look to be VERY profitable (I know Elon says he just wants to go to Mars, but his investors would appreciate a new profitable venture)
« Last Edit: 01/14/2015 09:58 pm by Ronsmytheiii »

Offline ChrisWilson68

• Sunnyvale, CA
  • Liked: 2598
  • Likes Given: 3367
« Reply #78 on: 01/14/2015 10:38 pm »

This will be impossible, as many of the same engineers will be working the launch vehicle side and the satellite side.

Of course it's possible, they just decide to make sure it's not the same engineers when proprietary data of another company is involved.  Companies do this all the time.

Offline Jim

• Night Gator
  • Cape Canaveral Spaceport
  • Liked: 11516
  • Likes Given: 342
« Reply #79 on: 01/15/2015 12:12 am »

No,that is the point, they can't

Tags: