Author Topic: Dragon 2 on display at Newseum in DC on Wed June 11, 2014  (Read 64469 times)

Online Prober

• Save the spin....I'm keeping you honest!
  • Nevada
  • Liked: 702
  • Likes Given: 728
Re: Dragon 2 on display at Newseum in DC on Wed June 11, 2014
« Reply #40 on: 06/11/2014 01:50 pm »
I don't think this is flight hardware. They wouldn't have let us climb into flight hardware. They'll declare it ground test at some point.

Why, do you think you're going to break it?

It'd be pretty hard to claim that your vehicle is the safest thing since Ralph Wiggum's scissors if it can't even handle a few dozen people climbing through it.

yeah, got to test that reuse ;D
2017 - Everything Old is New Again.
I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work. ~ by Thomas Alva Edison

Online cscott

• Liked: 2061
  • Likes Given: 666
« Reply #41 on: 06/11/2014 02:02 pm »
Apparently so. I was guessing Edwards AFB for the test landing site since it's closer to the coast (and Hawthorne) than White Sands. But a landing on the lakebed at Edwards may require more precision than they are comfortable with for the first attempt.

I suspect Edwards is also tougher to schedule. Too much going on there. And a colleague who has flown experimental UAVs at Edwards will talk your ear off about how insanely controlled and risk averse it is. Long gone are the days when Chuck Yeager could hop in a jet and go for a joy ride.

White Sands may have a more amenable culture, and they're used to things smashing into the ground because they test a lot of ordnance.
Although I very much doubt that SpaceX would want to have their precious Dragon mark 2 'smash' into the ground.
Sure, but when it comes to getting permission to use a landing site, the operators of the site want to know "what's the worst that could happen".  So they'll be fixated on the smashing possibilities.

Online sghill

• United States
  • Liked: 1688
  • Likes Given: 2485
« Reply #42 on: 06/11/2014 02:09 pm »
It's there!

Looks like it landed!  :)

temp bana/FuV2b

« Last Edit: 06/11/2014 02:10 pm by sghill »
Bring the thunder!

Online Prober

• Save the spin....I'm keeping you honest!
  • Nevada
  • Liked: 702
  • Likes Given: 728
« Reply #43 on: 06/11/2014 02:15 pm »
Looks a lot better and shows more in this lighting. ;)
2017 - Everything Old is New Again.
I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work. ~ by Thomas Alva Edison

Online sghill

• United States
  • Liked: 1688
  • Likes Given: 2485
« Reply #44 on: 06/11/2014 02:16 pm »
Looks a lot better and shows more in this lighting. ;)

Note the backside image.  First time we've seen her rear.
Bring the thunder!

Online Jdeshetler

• Silicon Valley, CA
  • Liked: 2557
  • Likes Given: 1776
« Reply #45 on: 06/11/2014 02:18 pm »
Interesting location of connection points for lifting.

Online Chris Bergin

She's one of the best OMLs for a capsule I've ever seen.

Offline moralec

Ok guys, I just came back from the Newseum. I went around 9:10am and it was basically just me and a couple other fellows taking a look. The capsule was closed, so I was not able to take a look to the interior. I asked and they told be they are not going to open it during the day (I guess they don't want to risk damaging the capsule by letting many people going in).

Two Space X representatives where there answering questions. I had the chance of speaking to one of them (a very nice girl that works in SpaceX HQ in California, and that came to DC with the capsule as part of a marketing team). She told me the following:
- This capsule is indeed actual flight hardware, not a mockup. However, this does not mean that is ready to fly to space right now. The external part is ready, and the avionics have been installed. But the draco boosters have not being installed in this particular version (they don't carry the capsule around with them).
- Further improvements to the interior are going to be included, in particular padding (I guess to avoid the astronauts getting hurt when floating in microgravity).
- They brought the capsule for yesterday's special event with VIPs, and it came on a truck all the way from California.
- She sends hi to everyone here in NSF, specially to the guys that have been working on the video recovery! Apparently everyone at SpaceX is very exiting about it!

Regarding the capsule:
- It has a tick white painting that hides all the bolts and panels, however they are all there! they are very noticeable when seeing it upclose. I took pictures of as many elements I could see for you guys to take a look.
- Windows have a yellowish coating, that reflects most of the exterior light (probably to protect the crew from the very intense sunlight of outerspace)
- The hatch door has both a handle and two circular dials on the side (no idea what those are for)
- The capsule has 16 draco boosters in total: 6 in the front (three at each side of the hatch door), 6 in the back (symmetrically to the ones on front), and two on each side (one on each side of the wings that will hold the superdraco boosters).
- There are five windows: 3 in the front (one of them in the hatch itself) and one on each sides. No windows on the back.
- Besides the front panel (full of connectors), there is also a back panel with two connectors. Those where plugged, I guess providing energy for the interior.
- The cover of the docking mechanism does not cut the top of the capsule horizontal, but rather diagonally. This is very noticeable when looking the capture from the side.  It is shorter in the front  of the capsule and tallerind the back. This could gives us a sense of the direction in which it  is going to open.
- There is one honeycomb circular element on each side, above the side windows but bellow the cover of the docking mechanism. I have no idea what they are for...
- I was not able to find any barcodes.

And now.. the pictures!!  Please note that all the wide angle ones where taking with a phone, and all the close ups with a DSLR.  I have the raw versions on my computer if anyone wants them.

edit: typo!
« Last Edit: 02/02/2015 10:28 pm by moralec »

Online cscott

« Reply #48 on: 06/11/2014 02:30 pm »
- She sends hi to everyone here in NSA

The NSA gets nervous when you say hi -- they prefer to think that you don't know they are listening. ;)

Offline moralec

- She sends hi to everyone here in NSA

The NSA gets nervous when you say hi -- they prefer to think that you don't know they are listening. ;)

Ups! jijiji

Online abaddon

• Liked: 1320
  • Likes Given: 1298
« Reply #50 on: 06/11/2014 02:55 pm »
Great photos!  What a great looking ship.  Windows remind me of the astronaut space suit visor they can pull down.

Online cscott

« Reply #51 on: 06/11/2014 03:08 pm »
I was there. Took these a couple of hours ago.

The sign out front and my pass.

So.... who else was at the VIP event (besides you and Elon)?  Senators?  Members of the house?  Legislative aides to same?  NASA Administrators?  I'm curious to know if SpaceX was targeting anyone in particular...
« Last Edit: 06/11/2014 03:08 pm by cscott »

Offline Elvis in Space

• Elvis is Everywhere
  • Still on Earth
  • Liked: 447
  • Likes Given: 2158
« Reply #52 on: 06/11/2014 03:22 pm »
Nice job on the photos. I think this will raise about as many questions as it answers though. Maybe it's just me but I feel like I'm looking at SS Enterprise (OV101) when it was rolled out. Almost a real space shuttle but not quite.
Cheeseburgers on Mars!

Online Chris Bergin

Great work and great report!

Two Space X representatives where there answering questions. I had the chance of speaking to one of them (a very nice girl that works in SpaceX HQ in California, and that came to DC with the capsule as part of a marketing team). She told me the following:

Could have been Emily, PAO at SpaceX. She's very nice.

Online grythumn

• Liked: 130
  • Likes Given: 171
« Reply #54 on: 06/11/2014 04:10 pm »
I'm leaving in about an hour. Probably won't cover anything new, but I want to see it in person since it is so close. Bringing my camera and a couple of lenses, but I think most of the outside's been well covered.

-Bob

Offline savuporo

• Liked: 987
  • Likes Given: 343
« Last Edit: 06/11/2014 04:16 pm by savuporo »
Orion - the first and only manned not-too-deep-space craft

Offline JasonAW3

• Claremore, Ok.
  • Liked: 396
  • Likes Given: 14
« Reply #56 on: 06/11/2014 04:25 pm »
I'd hazard a guess about the two circular objects within the silver oval on the right hand side of the door.

If it were me designing the capsule, I'd put some sort of emergency pressure releif valve system in the door to be able to pop the hatch in case of an Apollo 1 type fire.  (Yes, I KNOW they most likely won't run an overpressure test in 100% O2, but cabin fires have always been a big risk in any spacecraft.)

If it is, then most likely there is a simple manual system of opening those valves that can't accidentally be done by space debris or tether wraping of anything like that.  Because it's recessed into the door, it would make it that much harder to be accidentally activated.
My God!  It's full of universes!

Offline vtirag

• Liked: 7
  • Likes Given: 62
« Reply #57 on: 06/11/2014 04:35 pm »

- This capsule is indeed actual flight hardware, not a mockup. However, this does not mean that is ready to fly to space right now. The external part is ready, and the avionics have been installed. But the draco boosters have not being installed in this particular version (they don't carry the capsule around with them).
- Further improvements to the interior are going to be included, in particular padding (I guess to avoid the astronauts getting hurt when floating in microgravity).

I just got back from the Newseum. I got to talk to one of the SpaceXers present and got one new (I think) bit of information: He said the plumbing and SD mounting hardware and all will be stripped from this capsule shortly, and put on the abort test article for the pad abort test and, hopefully, for the in-flight abort test. He also told me that this capsule will eventually fly in space.
I also asked about the interior and was told they just removed/not installed some "boring" stuff like the padding, otherwise this is the final interior. Further small changes are possible.

Online cscott

« Reply #58 on: 06/11/2014 05:03 pm »
I just got back from the Newseum. I got to talk to one of the SpaceXers present and got one new (I think) bit of information: He said the plumbing and SD mounting hardware and all will be stripped from this capsule shortly, and put on the abort test article for the pad abort test and, hopefully, for the in-flight abort test. He also told me that this capsule will eventually fly in space.
I also asked about the interior and was told they just removed/not installed some "boring" stuff like the padding, otherwise this is the final interior. Further small changes are possible.

Huh, so both Helodriver *and* sublimemarsupial were right!  The display hardware is both destined "for orbit" *and* for the abort tests. ;)

Offline vtirag

• Liked: 7
  • Likes Given: 62
« Reply #59 on: 06/11/2014 05:07 pm »
Everything has been so well covered here at NSF that there is not a lot I can contribute with my pictures, but here are some pics of random details and items SpaceX was giving away..    :)
« Last Edit: 06/11/2014 05:14 pm by vtirag »

Tags: