Author Topic: from earth to moon evelator idea  (Read 3064 times)

Offline tycho

• Liked: 0
  • Likes Given: 0
from earth to moon evelator idea
« on: 07/23/2006 03:05 am »
Hi, I am new member here, found your interesting forum from space.com. I usally dont post anything there because there its chaotic and messy.

Is it possible to send a space-evelator-like spacecraft(with carbon-nano tube rope of course) to near moon(non-orbit), to act for pulling manned/unmanned crafts from earth to moon spacecraft to moon enegry-cheaply with solar power?

I'm not very exprienced with space science, I'm more dreamer but want learn a lot,
hope this is a nice and acceptable idea  ;)

"We have lingered for too long on the shores of the cosmic ocean; it's time to set sail for the stars."
Carl Sagan

Offline British NASA

• Veteran
Re: from earth to moon evelator idea
« Reply #1 on: 07/23/2006 02:34 pm »
If you use the search function I've got a feeling you'll see some topics on this. Pretty sure I've seen some :)

Offline Jim

• Night Gator
  • Cape Canaveral Spaceport
  • Liked: 11450
  • Likes Given: 338
« Reply #2 on: 07/23/2006 03:14 pm »
The orbital speeds are different.  For example,  the moon takes one month to orbit the earth and the orbits near earth are faster, less than a day.

Offline tycho

« Reply #3 on: 07/23/2006 03:51 pm »
British NASA - 23/7/2006  9:21 AM

If you use the search function I've got a feeling you'll see some topics on this. Pretty sure I've seen some :)

i did a search, didnt find. With which keyword I have to search ? i searched with; moon slingshot and moon evelator

The orbital speeds are different. For example, the moon takes one month to orbit the earth and the orbits near earth are faster, less than a day.

sorry, I dont understand what you mean? I am not so pretty with English, cause its my third languange.

moonevelator-slingshot craft dont orbit moon, I drawed some in windows paint program;

"We have lingered for too long on the shores of the cosmic ocean; it's time to set sail for the stars."
Carl Sagan

Offline Chris Bergin

RE: from earth to moon evelator idea
« Reply #4 on: 07/23/2006 05:40 pm »
No problem. The correct spelling is elevator (which is why your search isn't helping).

Here's a good one on the sling:

http://forum.nasaspaceflight.com/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=1296&start=1 for example.

Offline Jim

• Night Gator
  • Cape Canaveral Spaceport
  • Liked: 11450
  • Likes Given: 338
« Reply #5 on: 07/23/2006 07:16 pm »
I can't explain it unless you have some understanding of orbital mechanics.

Here is come reading  http://www.braeunig.us/space/orbmech.htm

Offline tycho

RE: from earth to moon evelator idea
« Reply #6 on: 07/23/2006 07:25 pm »
I am reading, thank you for explanation.
Carl Sagan

Offline imfan

• Liked: 1
« Reply #7 on: 07/23/2006 10:32 pm »
according to picture I would say it is partialy possible. at least that part around moon which seems like smash or explosion :-)

Offline mlorrey

• International Spaceflight Museum
  • Grantham, NH
  • Liked: 12
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #8 on: 07/23/2006 10:32 pm »
Jim - 23/7/2006  10:01 AM

The orbital speeds are different.  For example,  the moon takes one month to orbit the earth and the orbits near earth are faster, less than a day.

This isn't a bug, this is a feature. An elevator platform on the Earth end in LEO traveling only 1000 or so mph would be an ideal platform for suborbital launchers, like SS2, to deliver passengers to space cheaply for merely hundreds of dollars per lb. Whether it is anchored to the Moon, or counterbalanced in GSO (thereby hovering its low end over one point), a space elevator doesn't need to be anchored to Earth to become a useful structure.
VP of International Spaceflight Museum - http://ismuseum.org
Founder, Lorrey Aerospace, B&T Holdings, ACE Exchange, and Hypersonic Systems. Currently I am a venture recruiter for Family Office Venture Capital.

Offline publiusr

• Elite Veteran
  • Liked: 1
  • Likes Given: 2
« Reply #9 on: 08/18/2006 06:53 pm »
You are going to need Ares V or perhaps Sea Dragon to really do long tethers properly.

Tags: