Author Topic: Designs for a RTLS pad  (Read 8144 times)

Offline Jdeshetler

• Silicon Valley, CA
  • Liked: 2557
  • Likes Given: 1776
Re: Designs for a RTLS pad
« Reply #20 on: 05/05/2014 08:03 pm »
Fondu Fyre (limestone-free) pad + hoover crate pit (/w coolant) + underground Fondu Fyre blast trench channel = smokeless & debris free landing whoch will be cool to watch.

Normal cement contained limestone (calcium carbonate) which produce brownish smoke when exposed to very high heat.
« Last Edit: 05/05/2014 09:26 pm by Jdeshetler »

Offline MarsInMyLifetime

• Austin, TX
    • Light of Day
  • Liked: 132
  • Likes Given: 138
« Reply #21 on: 05/05/2014 09:17 pm »
I think the trench becomes an option only after they can demonstrate the ability to land very precisely. Placing a leg into a trench at landing would be a very bad thing!

And bricks or tiles have their own potential problems: http://forum.nasaspaceflight.com/index.php?topic=14430.msg1077598#msg1077598   NASA's preferred remedy for that damage seems to have been Fondue Fyre cement applied directly to reinforced walls.

My take-away is that a simple flat pad topped by this type of refractory cement has the virtues of economy, reliability, serviceability, and safety for returning boosters. Moreover, it should work just fine for returning powered Dragons as well.
Don

Offline aero

• Liked: 827
  • Likes Given: 293
« Reply #22 on: 05/05/2014 10:07 pm »
With the landing accuracy we are hoping for, I don't see the difficulty with a steel grate over a covered flame trench. The legs spread about 60 feet, right? that's wide enough to span the trench easily and if the touchdown location error ends up causing a leg foot to touch down on the grate, then the rocket flame is 30 feet offset from the grate. So yea, maybe the grate weakens under the rocket engine heat but so what, the legs are resting 30 feet away on solid concrete or on cold and solid steel grating.

I like steel grating because it is common, cheep and easily replaced.

But I also like using a simple landing pad like they do in Texas.
Retired, working interesting problems

Offline Excession

• Liked: 16
  • Likes Given: 48
« Reply #23 on: 05/06/2014 02:35 am »
Designing a pad for the Falcon shouldn't be too bad. What I'm interested in is how they'll build a landing pad for the BFR - Raptor will be just a little bit more powerful than a Merlin!

Offline Galactic Penguin SST

« Reply #24 on: 05/06/2014 05:33 am »
Maybe not directly related, but what was the design for the ground support structures for DC-X?
Chinese spaceflight is a cosmic riddle wrapped in a galactic mystery inside an orbital enigma... - (not) Winston Churchill

Offline sghill

• United States
  • Liked: 1688
  • Likes Given: 2484
« Reply #25 on: 05/06/2014 01:00 pm »
Maybe not directly related, but what was the design for the ground support structures for DC-X?

It's directly related.  I was hoping this thread was talk more about support needs and layout than what material is best of a pad (though they are obviously related). Perhaps we should call it a "site" instead of a pad.

I don't think its a simple matter of launch preps in reverse for an operational RTLS site.
Bring the thunder!

Tags: