Author Topic: CRS-3 Falcon 9 first stage to sport legs and attempt soft splashdown  (Read 219956 times)

Offline Elmar Moelzer

• Liked: 665
  • Likes Given: 946
I better be careful to note that part is my explanation as to what has been attempted with the likes of CASSIOPE. If they don't have to boost back, then they may not.
Ok, thanks Chris!

Offline meadows.st

• Vancouver BC, Canada
  • Liked: 88
  • Likes Given: 3998
Well the article clearly says that there will be a "boost back". But a boost back could still cause the stage to land anywhere downrange between the point of stage separation (or even beyond that) and the launch site.
I hope they bring it back close the launch site. So we can get a good view of it.

Do any sailors/boaters in the area know how or if a specific NOTMAR was issued for the Cassiope launch (specifically for the landing area) and if so, how far in advance of the launch it happened?  The only thing I could find on the Florida local NOTMAR publication was the KSC general area notice for launch but I don't know what to look for in terms of the landing area.  From the historical approach (for our one data point - Cassiope S1 attempted recovery), it would be interesting to know if we could get any advanced notice for the general vicinity of any "soft spashdown".  I also wonder if the attempted recovery would have to be in international waters to avoid any USCG regulatory issues?
A little rudder far from the rocks is a lot better than a lot of rudder close to the rocks. L. David Marquet

Offline Lars_J

• California
  • Likes Given: 195
Well the article clearly says that there will be a "boost back". But a boost back could still cause the stage to land anywhere downrange between the point of stage separation (or even beyond that) and the launch site.
I hope they bring it back close the launch site. So we can get a good view of it.

Do any sailors/boaters in the area know how or if a specific NOTMAR was issued for the Cassiope launch (specifically for the landing area) and if so, how far in advance of the launch it happened?  The only thing I could find on the Florida local NOTMAR publication was the KSC general area notice for launch but I don't know what to look for in terms of the landing area.  From the historical approach (for our one data point - Cassiope S1 attempted recovery), it would be interesting to know if we could get any advanced notice for the general vicinity of any "soft spashdown".  I also wonder if the attempted recovery would have to be in international waters to avoid any USCG regulatory issues?

Yes, see the post here, with a map: http://forum.nasaspaceflight.com/index.php?topic=32859.msg1101831#msg1101831

It was issues a couple of days before the launch.

Offline Prober

• Save the spin....I'm keeping you honest!
  • Nevada
  • Liked: 702
  • Likes Given: 728
So I'm assuming the legs were / are being attached at the Cape? Or were / are they being attached in TX post stage firing and shipped to the Cape pre-attached? Curious, as we have bandied this question about quite a bit.

another 64$ question that needs an answer :o
2017 - Everything Old is New Again.
I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work. ~ by Thomas Alva Edison

Offline Lars_J

• California
So I'm assuming the legs were / are being attached at the Cape? Or were / are they being attached in TX post stage firing and shipped to the Cape pre-attached? Curious, as we have bandied this question about quite a bit.

another 64$ question that needs an answer :o

Why? Of all the questions out there about the legs, this has to be one of the least important one.

Offline dorkmo

• Liked: 336
  • Likes Given: 845
i wonder if theyd consider bi directional fins like blue origin?

Offline plank

• Liked: 3
  • Likes Given: 0
I'm just glad something interesting is going to happen in terms of aerospace flight.  Lets hope they get positive results.

Offline Orbiter

• Florida
  • Liked: 541
  • Likes Given: 948
Surprised that they're going to do this in the dead of night.
Attended space missions: STS-114, STS-124, STS-128, STS-135, Atlas V "Curiosity", Delta IV Heavy NROL-15, Atlas V MUOS-2, Delta IV Heavy NROL-37, Falcon 9 CRS-9, Falcon 9 JCSAT-16, Atlas V GOES-R, Falcon 9 SES-11, Falcon Heavy Demo, Falcon 9 Es'hail-2.

Offline Lars_J

• California

They are limited by ISS launch windows. The window is only a couple of minutes every day.
« Last Edit: 02/20/2014 11:31 pm by Lars_J »

Offline Orbiter

• Florida
  • Liked: 541
  • Likes Given: 948

They are limited by ISS launch windows. The window is only a couple of minutes every day.

I'm aware of that, and I believe they're limited to instantaneous windows for F9 missions or they were for the 1.0, but I'm surprised they didn't put it on another mission. I suppose it being night isn't going to be a bother for gathering data.
« Last Edit: 02/20/2014 11:48 pm by Orbiter »
Attended space missions: STS-114, STS-124, STS-128, STS-135, Atlas V "Curiosity", Delta IV Heavy NROL-15, Atlas V MUOS-2, Delta IV Heavy NROL-37, Falcon 9 CRS-9, Falcon 9 JCSAT-16, Atlas V GOES-R, Falcon 9 SES-11, Falcon Heavy Demo, Falcon 9 Es'hail-2.

Offline Joffan

• NSF Irregular
  • Liked: 510
  • Likes Given: 1436
I hope they do a partial boostback, at least cancelling the downrange velocity and preferably getting a little (or more) uprange.

I also hope they will take the opportunity to target the landing accurately. A floating outline frame with radio beacons on the corners would be ideal.

Max Q for humanity becoming spacefaring

Offline Rabidpanda

• Liked: 120
  • Likes Given: 572
Why not just use GPS?

Offline Robotbeat

• Minnesota
  • Liked: 9056
  • Likes Given: 5799
Watching a hot-burn, soft water landing from a boat ~1 mile away would be sweet. Probably isn't what they're planning, though (safety...). At very least, I hope they get good video from the chase plane.
Chris  Whoever loves correction loves knowledge, but he who hates reproof is stupid.

To the maximum extent practicable, the Federal Government shall plan missions to accommodate the space transportation services capabilities of United States commercial providers. US law http://goo.gl/YZYNt0

Offline Lars_J

• California
At 4am, it will be difficult to get good video. Hopefully some decent IR tracking cameras will be used.

Offline Avron

• Canadian Member
  • Liked: 152
  • Likes Given: 159
At 4am, it will be difficult to get good video. Hopefully some decent IR tracking cameras will be used.

Any camera will do, but basic radar should work just fine

Offline Lars_J

• California

Any camera will do, but basic radar should work just fine

I'm not concerned about the tracking part. I'd just like to see some footage, thus the mention of the IR Cameras.

Offline TripD

• Waiting for longer boats
  • Liked: 583
  • Likes Given: 436
Ok, I am certain to be peeeoooonished for going OT, but I suspect SpaceX is working on some sort of relativistic propulsion that dilates time.  The closer we get to this next launch, the slower the time passes.  Coincidence?  I think not.

Ok ok. Spinning legs. Boostback. Back on topic  8)
« Last Edit: 02/21/2014 03:15 am by TripD »

Offline meekGee

• N. California
  • Liked: 5727
  • Likes Given: 966
I still want to know whether it carries Red and Green strobe lights when it flies back in.  Maybe mounted on the legs.

And for the last 20 seconds, there will be plenty of light from the plume, if someone is close enough to shoot video.  A camera with high dynamic range will be useful, but even without, you'd be able to gauge the distance between the base of the rocket and the surface of the water, all the way until they make contact.

ABCD - Always Be Counting Down

Offline Geron

• Liked: 55
  • Likes Given: 6
Does anyone know the mass of the fuel in crs. 3 after stage separation?

Offline Lars_J

• California
I still want to know whether it carries Red and Green strobe lights when it flies back in.  Maybe mounted on the legs.

Why would it? Did Shuttle? Does Dragon?

Tags: