Author Topic: McAlister Discusses Commercial Crew Certification  (Read 16739 times)

Online yg1968

• Liked: 1500
  • Likes Given: 898
Re: McAlister Discusses Commercial Crew Certification
« Reply #40 on: 05/22/2013 12:56 pm »
Quote from: Jeff Foust
"Garrett Reisman: we believe we can do first Dragon flight test with crew on board in mid-2015; part of optional CCiCap milestones."

http://twitter.com/jeff_foust

That's conflicting information.. maybe the crew test flights are back on the table?

More likely is he's just speaking from the SpaceX perspective.. they'll be ready, but NASA is unlikely to pay for it.

That is assuming the optional milestones are picked up for a crewed flight (which NASA does not intend to do). The timeline under FAR is not available given that phase 2 of certification has not yet been awarded (or competed). Reisman also stated that SpaceX would prefer to continue under SAAs. If commercial crew is not fully funded in FY 2014, it is conceivable that SAAs will continue a while longer.

Although NASA has said that that crewed flights would not be under SAAs, it made no promise concerning uncrewed flights. I am hoping that NASA will continue the optional milestones for two companies until they each fly an uncrewed flight. 
« Last Edit: 05/22/2013 01:08 pm by yg1968 »

Online JBF

• Liked: 429
  • Likes Given: 792
« Reply #41 on: 05/22/2013 01:03 pm »
Quote from: Jeff Foust
"Garrett Reisman: we believe we can do first Dragon flight test with crew on board in mid-2015; part of optional CCiCap milestones."

http://twitter.com/jeff_foust

That's conflicting information.. maybe the crew test flights are back on the table?

More likely is he's just speaking from the SpaceX perspective.. they'll be ready, but NASA is unlikely to pay for it.

That is assuming the optional milestones are picked up (which NASA does not intend to do). The timeline under FAR is not available given that phase 2 of certification has not been awarded. Reisman also stated that SpaceX would prefer to continue under SAAs. If commercial crew is not fully funded in FY 2014, it is conceivable that SAAs will continue a while longer.

Although NASA said that that crewed flights would not be under SAAs, it made no promise concerning uncrewed flights. I am hoping that NASA will continue the optional milestones for two companies until they each fly an uncrewed flight. 

Even if NASA doesn't fund it, I'm willing to bet we will see SpaceX do a crewed test flight. They will need to prove their capsule for commercial customers.
"In principle, rocket engines are simple, but thatís the last place rocket engines are ever simple." Jeff Bezos

Online yg1968

« Reply #42 on: 05/22/2013 01:17 pm »
SpaceX would rather get paid for it. I am not sure why they would do a free test flight when NASA is willing to pay for it. They are apparently the favorites even if there is a downselection to one.
« Last Edit: 05/22/2013 01:18 pm by yg1968 »

Online JBF

• Liked: 429
  • Likes Given: 792
« Reply #43 on: 05/22/2013 01:25 pm »
SpaceX would rather get paid for it. I am not sure why they would do a free test flight when NASA is willing to pay for it. They are apparently the favorites even if there is a downselection to one.

Of course they would, but I think they are going to run into a timing issue. Especially if Bigelow manages to keep on schedule with the BA330.
"In principle, rocket engines are simple, but thatís the last place rocket engines are ever simple." Jeff Bezos

Offline Lurker Steve

• Liked: 35
  • Likes Given: 9
« Reply #44 on: 05/22/2013 01:38 pm »
once the CCiCap base period is over, NASA is free to downselect at that point in time.

We keep using that word, even though the commercial crew office has explicitly said they won't be doing a downselect; every phase is an open competition where new partners have a chance to join.

Of course, I don't believe this for a second, but it's wrong to say they're free to downselect.

Last I heard, they were still talking about taking multiple partners through certification, but only one crew services contract would be awarded.

Since they have already started with the "Certification Products" contracts, as a list of separate items from the CCiCAP contracts, I don't see how a new vendor could sneak in.

Offline Lar

• Fan boy at large
  • Global Moderator
  • Saw Gemini live on TV
  • A large LEGO storage facility ... in Michigan
  • Liked: 8759
  • Likes Given: 7376
« Reply #45 on: 05/22/2013 04:32 pm »
I wonder if they'd fly anyway.  They're not looking for NASA crew.

Wonder if they could sell seats to defray cost? :) (if they go without NASA paying)
« Last Edit: 05/22/2013 04:32 pm by Lar »
"I think it would be great to be born on Earth and to die on Mars. Just hopefully not at the point of impact." -Elon Musk
"We're a little bit like the dog who caught the bus" - Musk after CRS-8 S1 successfully landed on ASDS OCISLY

Offline john smith 19

• Everyplaceelse
  • Liked: 1351
  • Likes Given: 8993
« Reply #46 on: 05/22/2013 08:31 pm »
I wonder if they'd fly anyway.  They're not looking for NASA crew.

Wonder if they could sell seats to defray cost? :) (if they go without NASA paying)
Possible, but this raises the question would they be allowed to berth at the ISS and if so for how long?
BFS. The worlds first Methane fueled FFORSC engined CFRP stainless steel structure A380 sized aerospaceplane tail sitter capable of flying in Earth and Mars atmospheres. BFR. The worlds biggest Methane fueled FFORSC engined CFRP stainless steel structure booster for BFS. First flight to Mars by end of 2022. Forward looking statements. T&C apply. Believe no one. Run your own numbers. So, you are going to Mars to start a better life? Picture it in your mind. Now say what it is out loud.

Offline QuantumG

• Australia
  • Liked: 3832
  • Likes Given: 916
« Reply #47 on: 05/22/2013 11:08 pm »
Since they have already started with the "Certification Products" contracts, as a list of separate items from the CCiCAP contracts, I don't see how a new vendor could sneak in.

Me either, but the commercial crew office has specifically said it is possible and balked on the use of "downselect".
Human spaceflight is basically just LARPing now.

Offline joek

• Liked: 874
  • Likes Given: 444
« Reply #48 on: 05/24/2013 02:55 am »
Me either, but the commercial crew office has specifically said it is possible and balked on the use of "downselect".

Legally NASA is required to allow anyone to bid on Certification Phase 2; use of "downselect" contravenes that requirement.

Online yg1968

« Reply #49 on: 05/26/2013 01:00 pm »
Space companies warn against excessive government oversight of their industry:
http://www.dailybreeze.com/ci_23292340/space-companies-warn-against-excessive-government-oversight-their
« Last Edit: 05/26/2013 01:01 pm by yg1968 »

Online yg1968

« Reply #50 on: 06/09/2013 02:16 pm »
Here are the minutes of the April 18th NAC meeting which include the presentation on which the article is based:
http://www.nasa.gov/pdf/752301main_2013_April%2018_HEOC%20Minutes.pdf

Tags: