Author Topic: About the SDLV called SRB Launcher, CEV, Orbiter space simulator and my first post here  (Read 3552 times)

Offline simcosmos

• Veteran
  • Portugal
    • SIMCOSMOS
  • Liked: 4
  • Likes Given: 0
Hello,

This is my second post here and if I'm doing something wrong I apologize in advance but I kindly ask to the administrator / moderator of this forum to please explain to me first what I'm doing / did wrong on my first post or if this post needs to be edited… Please show a little more sensitive about what people write… Do not just delete / edit an entire post without warning! :)

I'm sorry but if this is the way you treat new members... I do not understand: you ask for people to contribute here:

NASA CEV >> SDVL >>  SDLV/CEV document comment thread:
http://forum.nasaspaceflight.com/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=312&posts=18

But when I tried to give a small contribute I got my post completely deleted and this nice Edit instead:

"Edit:
Seems we've attracted some attention overnight, from adverts to pretend baliffs!  
Yours is a Shuttle related post, but please post it again on General. It does not belong on this thread.
Thanks.
Chris."

(btw: sorry but I do not know what is the meaning of "baliffs" – English is not my mother language, will check later)

So, here am I doing what I was told: I will try to write the original post in the end of this one but before I do it, if possible, I would like to please have further feedback from Chris, about why my post did not fit in the SDLV forum's category.

I mean, just hours ago I wrote, with the best of the intentions, my first post ever in this forum and, in my humble opinion, I think that deleting and editing what I wrote was deeply unfair for several reasons:

1. My post WAS related with SDLV!!! I wrote about the SRB Launcher addon that made for Orbiter space flight simulator… "Orbiter" is just the name of that global space flight simulator program and not a direct mention to "space shuttle"! Simulators are used by space agencies… Space agencies even use nice 3D models and virtual reality to display the telemetry received from their space flights… By the way, Orbiter was even presented in the 2nd ESA Workshop on Astrodynamics Tools and Techniques, 13-15 September 2004, at the ESTEC facility in Noordwijk, The Netherlands:
http://www.medphys.ucl.ac.uk/~martins/orbit/news.html
http://download.orbit.m6.net/news/orbiter.pdf

2. With the first point in mind, I was just making reference to that (freeware) space simulator and to an early version of an addon I developed about the SRB Launcher proposal… And the ATK Thiokol’s SRB Launcher proposal IS a SDVL! Or is that not the case?

3. Inside that addon there is also a pdf where, among other things (installation procedure, references I used to produce the 3D models, etc) I show (work in progress) the model I'm making about one CEV proposal (capsule). You can even see that very capsule design in some of the references you have in this forum and, more particularly, here, in the SDLV related thread:
http://forum.nasaspaceflight.com/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=310&start=1

4. Perhaps my only side-objective was to also provide an alternative look about the issues discussed in these forums. I was not spamming, I was not religiously defending a specific SDLV neither I was pretending to be a space engineer… I was just showing an alternative and, for some, funny, educative and interesting way of experiencing a few of all these designs and concepts (or even real space hardware)… and that way is… with a space simulator… I do not see how this is away from the category's description: "News, images and updates on the Shuttle-Derived Launch Vehicles (SDLV)"

Given all the above reasons I really do not understand why my first post was edited the way it was. At least and given it was my first post here, I would first expect a private message telling me to change the contents of that post before it being deleted >> edited…

I'm not particularly upset with the edit situation, please do not take this loooong post as me being mad or something…
Allow me just a few more paragraphs:  

It is very nice to talk about all these space designs specifications and about the problems associated with the choice of design A over design B and their production; it is very nice to talk about space missions but… how many of you have ever tried to simulate a Moon or Mars mission?

How many of you, although possibly understanding the physics behind launch vehicles and spacecraft / probes and the physics behind planetary transfers, have tried to simulate such missions?

Don't you consider that it would be a good experiment (even for this forum discussions) to have that other view of things? That was my only objective when writing the first post (that I still firmly believe that it was on-topic): just to let you know about a very realistic free space simulator out there where you can experiment all these historical / nowadays / conceptual space designs and missions and…

...I used the SRB launcher (SDLV) just as an example… To give another example of a much better addon and if you want a real challenge, I recommend the Apollo missions addon:
http://nassp.sourceforge.net/
http://sourceforge.net/project/screenshots.php?group_id=129726

btw: many more links available on my site's Orbiter >> Community Links >> Orbinauts

Now, please do not tell me that this post does not fit here too!
I hope that what I wrote here is interesting and does not get edited like my first post was.
If that will be the case please send me an email and allow me first to copy and save all what I wrote…
This took some time to write, you know :)

Thanks for the reading,
I apologize if it was a little long or if I sound somehow unhappy on some passages
Best Regards,

António

PS: Will try next to re-write what I remember of the original deleted-edited post.
my pics @ flickr

Offline simcosmos

• Veteran
  • Portugal
    • SIMCOSMOS
The original post was written here:
http://forum.nasaspaceflight.com/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=312&start=11&posts=18

…and was more or less like follows… I do not promise this will be a 100% word by word reproduction… here it goes:

SimonShuttle - 14/8/2005  8:44 AM

I really do think we should make the forum users only cause we've had 100 guests on here at any one point at times tonight and they don't contribute anything to the forum, the site, don't sign up, don't post. It's not right.

Hello :)

To be honest I do not intend to write many posts here, I mean: please do not get this in the wrong way; it is just that I have other forums where I write and also real life + virtual projects and no time to fully participate in one more forum.

But I would like to thank very much about the SDLV thread available in this forum and also post two little links, more particularly related with the SRB Launcher.

The first link is about Orbiter - a freeware spaceflight simulator: http://www.orbitersim.com

The second is related with an early version of an addon I made for that simulator. That addon is still an intensive work in progress and needs many number tweaks (as well the 3D models) but I believe that some of you may already have fun flying the "stick" (SRB launcher):
http://orbit.m6.net/v2/read.asp?id=25364
(More details on the included pdf)

Happy Flights!
António
my pics @ flickr

Offline Jason Sole

• Chicago
  • Likes Given: 3
Looks real cool Antonio

Online Chris Bergin

The problem was you posted it on a thread that was not related to your promotion of your software. Spam is not allowed on any forum, I PMed you that I would allow this if you posted it on General Discussion, which you have.

So check your PMs before complaining you weren't contacted.

Offline simcosmos

• Veteran
  • Portugal
    • SIMCOSMOS
Chris Bergin - 14/8/2005  7:51 PM

The problem was you posted it on a thread that was not related to your promotion of your software. Spam is not allowed on any forum, I PMed you that I would allow this if you posted it on General Discussion, which you have.

So check your PMs before complaining you weren't contacted.

Chris, I do not want forum fights!

Have you read what I wrote above?

Yes, you contacted me BUT you did it after editing >> deleting my post. That was my point, in particular because that post was SDLV related… it was not a self-promotion; please see what I wrote above. By your interpretation of what spam is then people placing links for a specific space concept A or B could be considered spam (in an extreme situation)

At least, again just my humble opinion, my post was much more ontopic than a few other available on the thread where I wrote it :)

Best regards,
António

my pics @ flickr

Offline Jason Sole

• Chicago
  • Likes Given: 3
He's not fighting you, otherwise your spam would be banned :)

Offline realtime

• Extreme Veteran
  • Liked: 1
  • Likes Given: 14
Same thing happened to me early on:  I posted off topic and had my post moved.  I found out through private messages with Chris what happened and why.  No biggie.  End of story.  

If you want respect from the forum, you've got to act responsibly.

Long rambling rants do not help.

Whining does not help.

Rationalizations do not help.  Especially when spamming the board.

You should apologize for your bad behavior.  Maybe that will help.

Offline simcosmos

• Veteran
  • Portugal
    • SIMCOSMOS
realtime - 14/8/2005  9:52 PM

Same thing happened to me early on:  I posted off topic and had my post moved.  I found out through private messages with Chris what happened and why.  No biggie.  End of story.  

If you want respect from the forum, you've got to act responsibly.

Long rambling rants do not help.

Whining does not help.

Rationalizations do not help.  Especially when spamming the board.

You should apologize for your bad behavior.  Maybe that will help.

I did not spam!

I just wrote a very short initial post about a particular SDLV concept (SRB Launcher) displayed in several pictures available on this forum and wrote that post inside the SDLV forum category, inside a thread specifically created to talk/comment about those very SDLV designs / pictures / information available in this site / forum… How can this be spam and deleted the way it was?

On my opinion my post was even one of the firsts there directly on topic… Have you read the pdf included inside my addon? Where I write about the SRB Launcher, CEV and ATV proposal early simulation and work in progress?… And this was considered spam?… Why? Just by mentioning a free space simulator as a way to experiment those SDLV concepts (btw: Shuttle-C, InLine SDLV Variants and some CEV concepts Orbiter addons, by other authors, also freely available out there...), and giving as example one particular SDLV and an addon about it, created by me and available for free? It seems we have somehow different spam definitions.

Ho well, nevermind.

Like wrote above: do not wish any kind of problems and from my side I consider this issue closed. Do you want me to apologize? I already apologized for the length of my second post in this forum. I was not offensive. I was not incorrect. And I did not spam.

I apologize if what I write / contribute does not somehow fits on the interests of these forums and, in particular, does not seems to fit in the ongoing SDLV discussion.

Godspeed
Peace to Chris and all forum members
Bye

Sincerely Best Regards,
António

(Bottom picture: SRB Launcher SDLV test session: tweaking the SRB exhaust's physical properties)
my pics @ flickr

Offline SRBseparama

• Liked: 0

Tags: