Author Topic: Windows Media Screen Grabs  (Read 2150 times)

Offline WARPed

• Regular
  • Liked: 0
  • Likes Given: 0
Windows Media Screen Grabs
« on: 08/11/2005 12:44 pm »
For those wanting to capture images from NASA TV on Windows Media Player I have found a way around the copy protection that previously left you with nothing but an empty black box when you performed screen dumps (prt scr).

If you adjust the Media Player options in the Tools, Options drop down.  Go to the performance tab and click the advanced button in the video acceleration options.  In the new menu untick the "use overlays" option.  You will now be able to use the Prt Scr button (or Alt Prt Scr for just the selected window) to do a screen grab.  You can then paste into Paint, crop, save as a jpg and then post it up on here.

One side effect if the video corrupts slightly if you right click over the video feed to bring up a menu...but you don't really do that very often and the corruption goes away when the menu does.  Other than that I have had no problems with changing this option and it is much easier on the wallet than buying full screen cap software.  This is on Windows Media Player Version 10.
WARPed

Online Chris Bergin

RE: Windows Media Screen Grabs
« Reply #1 on: 08/11/2005 06:29 pm »
Ooooo, let me see if can try that! I know NASA TV pops up in Real Media for me...but I'm sure I can fiddle with that.

Offline Stardust9906

• Global Moderator
  • Durham, UK
  • Liked: 35
  • Likes Given: 1095
« Reply #2 on: 08/11/2005 06:52 pm »
Chris, If you load up realplayer and go to Tools > Preferences > Hardware then change Video Card Compatability to most reliable that should allow you to use the same method with RealPlayer.

Online Chris Bergin

« Reply #3 on: 08/11/2005 07:08 pm »
Way hey! I'll have a play later and see, as that would be very handy indeed!

Offline Stardust9906

• Global Moderator
  • Durham, UK
  • Liked: 35
  • Likes Given: 1095
« Reply #4 on: 08/11/2005 11:18 pm »
After doing some experimentation it seems that moving the slider halfway along rather than going all the way to Most reliable works even better.  You can still do the screen capture and the quality of the video playback is better.

I forgot to mention in the previous post that I tested this using RealPlayer 10.

Offline Colby

• Veteran
  • Liked: 1
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #5 on: 08/12/2005 12:32 am »

I couldn't get the instructions above to work. However, I did find a program called PrintKey 2000 that I find quite handy.

http://www.pcworld.com/downloads/file_description/0,fid,22960,00.asp

Colby

Tags: