Author Topic: Top-heavy hovering easier  (Read 2939 times)

Offline docmordrid

• Michigan
  • Liked: 2843
  • Likes Given: 1
Top-heavy hovering easier
« on: 02/12/2012 02:56 pm »
Some interesting, and counter-intuitive, research results in these days of VTVL rocketry -

http://www.physorg.com/news/2012-02-hard-youre-top-heavy.html
DM

Offline Andrew_W

• Rotorua, New Zealand
    • Profiles of our future in space
  • Liked: 15
  • Likes Given: 12
Re: Top-heavy hovering easier
« Reply #1 on: 02/12/2012 08:03 pm »
I'd always assumed that this was why the Shuttle ET had the LOX rather than the LH2 tank on top.
I confess that in 1901 I said to my brother Orville that man would not fly for fifty years.
Wilbur Wright

Offline john smith 19

• Everyplaceelse
  • Liked: 1350
  • Likes Given: 8993
« Reply #2 on: 02/13/2012 07:41 am »
Some interesting, and counter-intuitive, research results in these days of VTVL rocketry -

http://www.physorg.com/news/2012-02-hard-youre-top-heavy.html

Very counter intuitive. Balencing a pool cue on its narrow end is a *classic* control systems demonstration of the problems of active balance control.

The question is are the aerodynamic restoring forces *big* enough to make it worthwhile doing things this way?
BFS. The worlds first Methane fueled FFORSC engined CFRP stainless steel structure A380 sized aerospaceplane tail sitter capable of flying in Earth and Mars atmospheres. BFR. The worlds biggest Methane fueled FFORSC engined CFRP stainless steel structure booster for BFS. First flight to Mars by end of 2022. Forward looking statements. T&C apply. Believe no one. Run your own numbers. So, you are going to Mars to start a better life? Picture it in your mind. Now say what it is out loud.

Offline Proponent

• Liked: 1307
  • Likes Given: 786
« Reply #3 on: 02/13/2012 07:46 am »
I'd always assumed that this was why the Shuttle ET had the LOX rather than the LH2 tank on top.

For the Shuttle's ET, I suspect the major issue is loads rather than controllability.  The ET is dragged from the thrust beam, which is near the forward end.  Putting the heavy oxygen tank forward of the relatively light hydrogen tank means that not so much force needs to be transmitted aft of the oxygen tank, making the ET's structure lighter.

Offline john smith 19

• Everyplaceelse
  • Liked: 1350
  • Likes Given: 8993
« Reply #4 on: 02/13/2012 09:28 am »

For the Shuttle's ET, I suspect the major issue is loads rather than controllability.  The ET is dragged from the thrust beam, which is near the forward end.  Putting the heavy oxygen tank forward of the relatively light hydrogen tank means that not so much force needs to be transmitted aft of the oxygen tank, making the ET's structure lighter.

I think there is also an issue with moment arms and centres of gravity. Putting the LOX tank at the top end sort of balances the SSME weight at the bottom end of the stack, requiring smaller steering angles for both the SSME's and the SRB nozzles.

It's been a long time since I looked at this issue.
BFS. The worlds first Methane fueled FFORSC engined CFRP stainless steel structure A380 sized aerospaceplane tail sitter capable of flying in Earth and Mars atmospheres. BFR. The worlds biggest Methane fueled FFORSC engined CFRP stainless steel structure booster for BFS. First flight to Mars by end of 2022. Forward looking statements. T&C apply. Believe no one. Run your own numbers. So, you are going to Mars to start a better life? Picture it in your mind. Now say what it is out loud.

Offline MP99

« Reply #5 on: 02/13/2012 11:29 am »
I'm not sure why the mechanics & aerodynamics of a bug hovering when flapping it's wings is relevant to rocketry.

Separately, though, I thought that keeping the CoM forward was a well understood principal of control in rocketry.

cheers, Martin

Offline simonbp

« Reply #6 on: 02/13/2012 07:44 pm »
I'm not sure why the mechanics & aerodynamics of a bug hovering when flapping it's wings is relevant to rocketry.

Separately, though, I thought that keeping the CoM forward was a well understood principal of control in rocketry.

For the later case, it's a matter of keeping the center of pressure below the center of mass, thus resulting passive dynamic stability.

For hovering, the airspeed is zero and so a different effect is going on. Specifically, it's a matter of how easy it is to actively control a hover, how forgiving the system is to incorrect inputs, etc. Helicopters are notoriously hard to control, but were their rotors at the bottom (e.g. below the center of mass), this research implies that they would be much more forgiving to control.

Offline go4mars

• Earth
  • Liked: 153
  • Likes Given: 3252
« Reply #7 on: 02/13/2012 07:50 pm »

For the later case, it's a matter of keeping the center of pressure below the center of mass, thus resulting passive dynamic stability.

For hovering, the airspeed is zero and so a different effect is going on. Specifically, it's a matter of how easy it is to actively control a hover, how forgiving the system is to incorrect inputs, etc. Helicopters are notoriously hard to control, but were their rotors at the bottom (e.g. below the center of mass), this research implies that they would be much more forgiving to control.
Makes landing legs and getting in/out a little hard in the case of a "chopper" though...
Elasmotherium; hurlyburly Doggerlandic Jentilak steeds insouciantly gallop in viridescent taiga, eluding deluginal Burckle's abyssal excavation.

Offline RanulfC

• Heus tu Omnis! Vigilate Hoc!
  • Liked: 814
  • Likes Given: 32
« Reply #8 on: 02/15/2012 02:10 pm »

Makes landing legs and getting in/out a little hard in the case of a "chopper" though...
Well it could get "interesting" all right... Though we've solved this issue before:
http://www.aviastar.org/helicopters_eng/gluharev_meg-3.php

http://www.vectorsite.net/avplatfm.html

Several others, the main point being you locate the landing gear below the rotor and WAIT for it to stop before stepping off :)

Randy
From The Amazing Catstronaut on the Black Arrow LV:
British physics, old chap. It's undignified to belch flames and effluvia all over the pad, what. A true gentlemen's orbital conveyance lifts itself into the air unostentatiously, with the minimum of spectacle and a modicum of grace. Not like our American cousins' launch vehicles, eh?

Offline kevin-rf

• Elite Veteran
  • Overlooking the path Mary's little Lamb took..
  • Liked: 1125
  • Likes Given: 245
« Reply #9 on: 02/16/2012 12:29 pm »
Several others, the main point being you locate the landing gear below the rotor and WAIT for it to stop before stepping off :)

But, that takes all the fun out of it!!!
If you're happy and you know it,
It's your med's!

Offline RanulfC

• Heus tu Omnis! Vigilate Hoc!
  • Liked: 814
  • Likes Given: 32
« Reply #10 on: 02/16/2012 06:09 pm »

But, that takes all the fun out of it!!!
Whilst "probably" true it helps to keep in mind that the majority of "airfoil" shapes are not conducive to "cutting" but instead tend to "smash" objects they impact which in turn turns the "jaunty" hop off your VTOL platform into a comedy of truely "stoogic" proportions...

Randy
From The Amazing Catstronaut on the Black Arrow LV:
British physics, old chap. It's undignified to belch flames and effluvia all over the pad, what. A true gentlemen's orbital conveyance lifts itself into the air unostentatiously, with the minimum of spectacle and a modicum of grace. Not like our American cousins' launch vehicles, eh?

Tags: