Author Topic: Common Centaur  (Read 974 times)

Offline Danderman

• Extreme Veteran
  • Liked: 385
  • Likes Given: 468
Common Centaur
« on: 02/06/2012 02:35 pm »
This gets discussed a bit, but there isn't a thread devoted to the Common Centaur.

Wouldn't it be great if SpaceX joined ULA in using the Common Centaur, wouldn't that generate some economies of scale?

Offline Ben the Space Brit

• A spaceflight fan
  • London, UK
  • Liked: 684
  • Likes Given: 792
Re: Common Centaur
« Reply #1 on: 02/06/2012 02:41 pm »
I think that the biggest problem this would create is a potential failure mode bottleneck that could kill US-indigenous GTO and BEO launches in the event of a failure in Common Centaur.  That has always been a good argument against using CC on both AV and DIV.  It is an even better argument against using it on F9 and/or FH too.
"Oops! I left the silly thing in reverse!" - Duck Dodgers

~*~*~*~

The Space Shuttle Program - 1981-2011

The time for words has passed; The time has come to put up or shut up!
DON'T PROPAGANDISE, FLY!!!

Offline kevin-rf

• Elite Veteran
  • Overlooking the path Mary's little Lamb took..
  • Liked: 1125
  • Likes Given: 245
« Reply #2 on: 02/06/2012 03:01 pm »
Or a barge strikes a bridge halting both the Atlas and Delta deliveries.

Honestly, I suspect ULA will not begin work on a common upper stage until they have  a higher thrust, high ISP, lower cost replacement for the RL-10 workhorse. A stage that uses between two and six RL-10's can not be cost effective. A new stage with larger tanks that uses a single higher thrust engine may be...
If you're happy and you know it,
It's your med's!

Offline deltaV

• Change in velocity
  • Liked: 170
  • Likes Given: 513
« Reply #3 on: 02/06/2012 04:37 pm »
This gets discussed a bit, but there isn't a thread devoted to the Common Centaur.

Wouldn't it be great if SpaceX joined ULA in using the Common Centaur, wouldn't that generate some economies of scale?

I suspect SpaceX is far too optimistic/arrogant about their own abilities to consider using Common Centaur. The cost of Centaur would kill SpaceX's dream of making a very low cost launch vehicle.

Tags: