Author Topic: 1983-1986: The Missions and History of Space Shuttle Challenger  (Read 14288 times)

Offline Chris Bergin

Amazing tribute article and historical overview of her life - Chris Gebhardt:

http://www.nasaspaceflight.com/2011/01/1983-1986-missions-history-space-shuttle-challenger/

RIP Challenger.

I think it would be respectful if no one posted and joined us all in a minute's silence at 16:39 GMT/11:39 Eastern (covering the time she was lost during ascent).
« Last Edit: 01/28/2011 01:19 pm by Chris Bergin »

Offline Martin FL

• Elite Veteran
  • Liked: 64
  • Likes Given: 210
Such a great article. Very fitting and honorable.

Offline Gary NASA

• KSC
  • Liked: 1923
  • Likes Given: 49
Fantastic work, and a nice tribute to concentrate on her service, not the disaster's events.

Offline DavisSTS

• England, American Ex Pat
  • Liked: 24
  • Likes Given: 63
Excellent article, excellent idea for the minute's silence, RIP Challenger.

Offline robertross

• Canadian Member
  • Westphal, Nova Scotia
  • Liked: 505
  • Likes Given: 5202
Beautiful Article Chris G.

RIP, the crew of Challenger.
Remembering those who made the ultimate sacrifice for our rights & freedoms, and for those injured, visible or otherwise, in that fight.

Offline NavySpaceFan

• Defender of All Things Nautical!!!
  • Norfolk, VA
  • Liked: 0
  • Likes Given: 1
Great article Chris!
« Last Edit: 01/28/2011 02:12 pm by NavySpaceFan »
<----First launch of DISCOVERY, STS-41D!!!!

Offline DavisSTS

• England, American Ex Pat
  • Liked: 24
  • Likes Given: 63
Great article with great photos. Very fine work.

Offline FinalFrontier

• Space Watcher
  • Liked: 724
  • Likes Given: 163
Amazing article, also amazing that its been 25 years. Great Job Chris.
3-30-2017: The start of a great future
"Live Long and Prosper"

Offline jjnodice

• Liked: 1
  • Likes Given: 0
Fantastic work!

Offline jimvela

• Liked: 207
  • Likes Given: 10
I was in the 5th grade, and watching the launch live with my class.

This was a big deal- a teacher flying in space, space was going to be open to more than just a few elite test pilots.  It was a time when anything seemed possible and immediately within our reach.

No one at the school could process what happened at first- including many of the school staff.

As a child of an aerospace engineer, I understood much of what was going on- and the likely outcome- right away, and had to repeatedly explain what we had just watched.

At that moment, the reality that exploration is risky became very real for me.

I wouldn't fully understand for many years the risks that explorers and pathfinders take, and why these brave people are so important to our society and to the advancement of the human animal.

We have suffered three loss of crew events in our short history of US manned spaceflight.  We have lost others still in accidents not involving an actual launch attempt.  To all of the families whom have endured that tragedy I offer my humble condolences, and offer that myself and all of our countrymen owe you a debt of thanks for what your loved ones were doing for us.  We are better individually and collectively for what these folks were trying to do.

In the aftermath, we also endured hearing many fools calling for an end to civilians in space, an end to a  manned space program, or even for the end of that "expensive and unnecessary" space program in general. 

I vowed at that time that I would always take time to explain and campaign amongst everyone I know why this human need to explore and to progress is vitally important.

Good article, and thank you for remembering.

Offline Apollo-phill

• UK
  • Liked: 121
  • Likes Given: 6
Did a small couple minute live interview this morning for a regional BBC Radio station to commemmorate the 25th Anniversary of the Challenger loss.

Included a few seconds of the NASA launch commentary - which brought the tragedy flooding back to me as I watched it live on TV in 1986 - in UK.

A-P

Offline NavySpaceFan

• Defender of All Things Nautical!!!
  • Norfolk, VA
  • Likes Given: 1
Amen,

I was in my freshman year at Ohio State when we lost Challenger.  I had just returned to my dorm room after my calculus class to great ready for lunch and later my physics lab.  I turned on the TV to watch the end of the Price is Right before leaving when I saw Dan Rather come on.  He had an expression on his face that I will never forget.  I spent the next hour or so in stunned silence as I watched what happened.
<----First launch of DISCOVERY, STS-41D!!!!

Offline Sarah

• Shuttle Hugger
  • 5 out of 4 people have problems with fractions
  • Iowa
  • Liked: 5
Thanks Chris. I really enjoyed reading that. My father a Rockwell engineer took me to see the launch because of the teacher in space program. I was in 2nd grade. I've never really been able to put that day into words.
« Last Edit: 05/09/2011 09:19 pm by Sarah »
Photo Album
Launches: 51L, 133, 134, 135
Scrubs: 70
Landings: 135

Offline chrisking0997

• NASA Langley
  • Liked: 105
  • Likes Given: 248
fantastic article...brought tears to my eyes reading Reagan's speech.  Thanks Chris!
Tried to tell you, we did.  Listen, you did not.  Now, screwed we all are.

Offline ChrisGebhardt

• Assistant Managing Editor
  • Global Moderator
  • ad astra scientia
  • ~1 AU
  • Liked: 6482
  • Likes Given: 782
Words cannot express what it was like to go through so much information on Challengerís history. I was born in the aftermath of Challenger and never got to see her fly. For me, writing this article over the last three days was truly living her missions, and itís a period of time I will never forget.

In the end, I included everything single thing/piece of information I found, right down to a June 2007 report on STA-099. I simply could not bring myself not to include everything.

Challenger was an amazing vehicle with a dignified and inspiring career. Above all, that is what I, personally, wanted to remember today, so thatís how I crafted the article. Today, while disquieting in many aspects, is not only about remembering the seven brave heroes of STS-51L, but the cause for which they freely served. That cause is, in many ways to me, the spirit and the essence of Challenger.

Offline Justin Space

• Extreme Veteran
  • England
  • Liked: 54
  • Likes Given: 246
Thanks for all the history. Sad day, but they've come a long way since

Offline racshot65

• Aaron Kalair
  • Coventry, England
Great article and a fantastic leading image as well

Offline Longhorn John

• Regular
  • Liked: 18
  • Likes Given: 97
So fitting for Challenger. Hard to believe she was only three years old.

Most of the reports on other sites today are going over and over the family stories. So happy that this site concentrated mainly on the orbiter.

Amazing images too.

Offline David AF

• F-22 Raptor Instructor / Fighter Pilot
Fine, fine work Chris Gebhardt!
F-22 Raptor instructor

Offline Space101

• Leeds, England
Remember it even as a child. Something that was never supposed to happen, but always threatened to happen once you learned about how dangerous "rocket launches" are.

Easily one of those things you can remember where you were when you heard or saw the disaster.
Let's go and explore space.

Tags: