Author Topic: MPLM  (Read 2666 times)

Offline Avron

• Canadian Member
  • Liked: 152
  • Likes Given: 159
MPLM
« on: 07/29/2005 10:02 pm »
Pity that they cannot leave the MPLM up at the station, and 'Toss' the garbage in the cargo bay of the shuttle.. I guess the station crews could do with the added volume to store items. Who knows when the next RTF -"Return to A flight" will take place.J

Why not on the next ULF (Utilization and Logistics Flight) take up two MPLM and leave one attached to Unity's common berthing mechanism that the Cupola is supposed to be connected to… “Leonardo” looks like its can be of use, and it does not look like the Cupola will fly for some time.

Offline Ben E

• Liked: 10
  • Likes Given: 0
RE: MPLM
« Reply #1 on: 08/02/2005 09:49 pm »
The only answer I can suggest for why they can't leave the MPLM attached is because it's hull is much thinner than standard ISS modules and it doesn't have the same beefed-up micrometeroid protection or heating equipment. As for taking two MPLMs up on STS-121, I would guess centre-of-gravity constraints aboard the Shuttle might preclude that.

Offline Stardust9906

• Global Moderator
  • Durham, UK
  • Liked: 35
  • Likes Given: 1095
« Reply #2 on: 08/02/2005 10:57 pm »
I think it would probably be a tight squeeze getting two MPLMs into the bay considering you have the external airlock taking up space as well.  In addition each MPLM with cargo can weigh nearly 14.5 tons so weight would probably also be an issue.

Offline Avron

• Canadian Member
  • Liked: 152
  • Likes Given: 159
« Reply #3 on: 08/05/2005 07:03 pm »
Looks like it may be possible to put in two, even under a tight squeeze... CG etc issues aside.

Offline Colby

• Veteran
  • Liked: 1
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #4 on: 08/08/2005 07:22 pm »
Well, what if one of the MPLM was launched fairly empty. By attaching it to the ISS, it would give them some storage space. They could keep the module locked off from the rest of the station when they aren't using it. I don't really like the idea, but would that curb the CG issue?
Colby

Offline Tahii

• Fetch me a fix of anesthetic
  • Lurking around the Awarua Space Tracking Station
  • Invercargill, New Zealand
  • Liked: 1
  • Likes Given: 10
« Reply #5 on: 08/09/2005 07:21 am »
It would still be an extra three tonnes or so high up in the shuttle. Don't know how that would affect the CoG, considering the whole weight of the shuttle on launch, but it would play around a bit with the landing I think (considering it can't really be left at the station)

Tags: