Author Topic: Michael Bay filming at KSC (Again) - Transformers 3/Discovery Updates  (Read 135277 times)

Offline kch

• Liked: 492
  • Likes Given: 8815
IMO just like Bay's last space film, all he cares for is big explosions, but nothing else. Bad story and acting are ok with him, technical accuracy isn't.

I'm sure Big Jim McBob and Billy Sol Hurok would have been impressed:

"Hey, that blowed up GOOD!"
"Yeah, that blowed up REAL good!"

;)

Offline Mark Dave

• Ruined
  • Liked: 2
  • Likes Given: 0
Who are they?

I'd compare his movies to Devlin and Emmrich's try at Godzilla. Fans got mad at them for ruining the title character. I know, I'm one of them.

I doubt there will be another TF movie. Everyone says the first movie was the best, the sequels stunk.

Just like you guys, I complain when things aren't accurate. I prefer accuracy when poking into a real life subject. Hell, Clint Eastwood and Ron Howard did a much better job with their NASA films as they did their homework first. This guy slacks off and just doesn't care.

Offline TheFallen

• Liked: 76
  • Likes Given: 159
I doubt there will be another TF movie.

Yes there will.

Crappy storytelling didn't stop a FOURTH Pirates of the Caribbean film (and Spider-Man 4. And Shrek 4 and 5. And Fantastic Four 2. And...) from being made. And TF3 will come close to making $1 billion worldwide just like the first two (bad reviews or not)... A 4th film will be a given--minus Bay and LaBeouf.

And y'all forget that Bay filmed at KSC well before STS-135 even became official.  This whole rant about the TF3 shuttle destruction scene a week before Atlantis' launch is ridiculous (especially considering Atlantis was originally targeted for launch on June 28...days before TF3's orginal scheduled release date).
« Last Edit: 07/05/2011 01:27 am by TheFallen »

Offline Rocket Science

• NASA Educator Astronaut Candidate Applicant 2002
  • Liked: 3289
  • Likes Given: 9173
All I have to say about these movies is that they know their audiences….
"The laws of physics are unforgiving"
~Rob: Physics instructor, Aviator, Vintage auto racer

Offline kch

IMO just like Bay's last space film, all he cares for is big explosions, but nothing else. Bad story and acting are ok with him, technical accuracy isn't.
I'm sure Big Jim McBob and Billy Sol Hurok would have been impressed:

"Hey, that blowed up GOOD!"
"Yeah, that blowed up REAL good!"

;)

Who are they?

I knew eventually I'd find somebody that didn't remember SCTV or Farm Film Report!  Here's a clip:

... and an article:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Second_City_Television

:)

Online Blackstar

• Veteran
  • Liked: 3206
  • Likes Given: 1
I knew eventually I'd find somebody that didn't remember SCTV or Farm Film Report!  Here's a clip:

Well, to be honest, you're going pretty deep there--a TV show that hasn't been on the air for about three decades and was never all that popular to begin with.

That said, there's an equally obscure, but more contemporary version of that.  The Onion occasionally does a video segment where some old coot named Joad Cressbeckler reviews movies (among other things), and it's a wonderful clash of hillbilly and complex criticism. I could not find one of his movie reviews, but there's this:

http://www.theonion.com/video/joad-cressbeckler-nasa-honeyfuggling-america-with,18140/

« Last Edit: 07/05/2011 02:38 pm by Blackstar »

Online Blackstar

• Veteran
I doubt there will be another TF movie.

Yes there will.

Crappy storytelling didn't stop a FOURTH Pirates of the Caribbean film (and Spider-Man 4. And Shrek 4 and 5. And Fantastic Four 2. And...) from being made. And TF3 will come close to making $1 billion worldwide just like the first two (bad reviews or not)... A 4th film will be a given--minus Bay and LaBeouf.

Eh... maybe.  Or maybe eventually.

Yeah, there's tons of money involved, so that implies that somebody will do a sequel, even if it's not Michael Bay.*  But some of these things run their course, and sometimes movies don't get made because too many people end up squabbling over rights, the script, money, etc.  Fantastic Four 2, for instance, apparently killed that franchise, and there's been talk of trying to reboot it with new actors, a new origin story, etc. But that doesn't seem to be progressing (perhaps because the studio thinks the public needs time to forget the last one).

Apparently Transformers 3, although making gobs of money, is making less than Transformers 2:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/celebritology/post/transformers-conquers-box-office-tom-hanks-does-not/2011/07/04/gHQADxgoxH_blog.html

"Also, 60 percent of the “Dark of the Moon” money came from 3-D screenings, a positive sign for a format whose popularity seemed to be slipping this summer. But that fact also dampens the impact of that Fourth of July record. As Box Office Mojo points out, the attendance for “Dark of the Moon” was more than 10 percent lower than ”Spider-Man 2’s” attendance."

*Personally, I'm in favor of Michael Bay disappearing from the face of the Earth, but that's unlikely to happen.

Offline RocketEconomist327

• Rocket Economist
  • Infecting the beltway with fiscal responsibility, limited government, and free markets.
  • Liked: 96
  • Likes Given: 62
Could it be that the economy is also in the... potty?
You can talk about all the great things you can do, or want to do, in space; but unless the rocket scientists get a sound understanding of economics (and quickly), the US space program will never achieve the greatness it should.

Putting my money where my mouth is.

Online Blackstar

• Veteran
"Yes we'll let you onto our land to blow up a shuttle" *rubs head* Must have been an exchange of a very large some of money..  ;D

I snuck into the theater and watched about 20 minutes of it. I got in just in time to see the shuttle sequence.  If you watch that sequence closely, the orbiter apparently survives the explosion.  I suspect that NASA asked for two changes to the script: the shuttle stack had to be modified so that it was not clearly a NASA vehicle, and the orbiter had to emerge from the explosion.

In the commentary for the movie The Sum of All Fears the director (or was it Tom Clancy?) revealed that the U.S. Navy allowed the studio to film an aircraft carrier, but in return they did not want the ship to sink after being attacked by rogue Russian planes, and so there is a line of dialogue in the movie that the ship was not sinking.  (In T2 the aircraft carrier does sink, however.)

I'm spending too much time discussing crappy movies.

Online Blackstar

• Veteran

Could be. But to make the connection you'd have to compare total box office for the season, not just one movie.

There's a lot of assumptions that go into reading box office returns. Super 8 apparently underperformed at the box office, but the studio won't admit it, claiming that they never viewed it as a "major" movie (a fact that is belied by their heavy advertising).  Green Lantern also had a big opening day that dropped off relatively fast, apparently suffering from word of mouth (people told their friends how bad it was).

But sometimes really crummy movies do great, and sometimes they don't do as good as the industry expects them to. Is there causation?  Is it the economy?  Who knows?

And again, I'm wasting time discussing lousy movies...

Offline kch

Well, to be honest, you're going pretty deep there--a TV show that hasn't been on the air for about three decades and was never all that popular to begin with.

The reason I went there was their habit of evaluating films (and their directors) solely on the basis of how many things "blowed up" in them.  I suspect Mr. Bay would have been one of their favorites.

That said, there's an equally obscure, but more contemporary version of that.  The Onion occasionally does a video segment where some old coot named Joad Cressbeckler reviews movies (among other things), and it's a wonderful clash of hillbilly and complex criticism. I could not find one of his movie reviews, but there's this:

http://www.theonion.com/video/joad-cressbeckler-nasa-honeyfuggling-america-with,18140/

Too funny!  Thanks for the link -- 'preciate it.  :D

Offline Mark Dave

• Ruined
  • Liked: 2
The movie stunk. I saw it last night.

Again, my gripe on the NASA elements.

Even if a film is fictional, the way the vehicles are shown should be accurate to real life.

Offline TheFallen

Peter Cullen (voice of Optimus Prime) attended today's final space shuttle launch...according to this NASA VIP list:

http://www.space.com/12213-final-shuttle-launch-nasa-vip-list-atlantis.html

Oh, and so did James Horner...music composer for films like Titanic and Apollo 13

Offline kimmern123

• Veteran
  • Norway
  • Liked: 0

Oh, and so did James Horner...music composer for films like Titanic and Apollo 13
Suddenly I got a (very) small wish I had seen the launch from Banana Creek instead of the press site. My favorite musician!

Offline Cinder

• Liked: 203
  • Likes Given: 920
Incredible..
Warning - while you were reading 86 new replies have been posted. You may wish to review your post.

Offline iamlucky13

• Liked: 104
  • Likes Given: 93

Could be. But to make the connection you'd have to compare total box office for the season, not just one movie.

Interestingly, the box office hasn't suffered as much as you might expect during the recession. It's tend slightly to move in the opposite direction as the economy. It actually was in decline during the bubble years up through 2007, but grew in 2009 relative to 2008:

http://www.the-numbers.com/market/

Economists concluded that families were cutting back on more expensive entertainment and favoring the movies.

On the other hand, the graph above also shows that was very temporary, but since the GDP technically grew in 2010, it still fits the pattern.

The theatre industry has been declining in general as people put money into home theatres or pursue other forms of entertainment. It's also been under increasing competition from video games.

Peter Cullen (voice of Optimus Prime) attended today's final space shuttle launch...according to this NASA VIP list:

I got curious for some reason and looked him up - He's actually be voicing Optimus Prime since the cartoons of the 80's. He's got a couple other distinctive voices to his credit also, ranging from Winnie the Pooh's Eeyore to The Predator.

Offline TheFallen

Incredible..

That was a cool scene in TF3 despite the scene recycling, FYI :)

Offline Cinder

• Liked: 203
  • Likes Given: 920
Yep.  Too bad those cool straight forward action scenes gave up so much time to "comedy" and drama scenes.  Transformers 4 might be a whole 50% about crying over bumblebee and optimus.
Warning - while you were reading 86 new replies have been posted. You may wish to review your post.

Offline TheFallen

« Last Edit: 09/03/2011 02:33 am by TheFallen »

Tags: