Author Topic: NASA reviews SRB upgrades at STS-125 FRR - Outlines STS-119 event  (Read 2474 times)

Offline Edward Carlson

• Chicago
  • Liked: 0
  • Likes Given: 0
Another really interesting article! Shuttle heaven here.

Offline robertross

• Canadian Member
  • Westphal, Nova Scotia
  • Liked: 505
  • Likes Given: 5202
Chris, you really can write up an article!

Now as to content....

I'm still miffed about this:

“Primary contributor to trace shape variation observed on STS-119, STS-124, and STS-126 is a burn rate variation and location of added mixes in the segments,” notes the presentation."

ATK is using old propellant from previous segment castings and mixing it in with new castings. Yes, it is included near the end of the burn so its affects to the vehicle are minimized, but for a program so risk-adverse, you would think they would be against any such changes, because it does require the flight system to correct. But they cleared it.
Remembering those who made the ultimate sacrifice for our rights & freedoms, and for those injured, visible or otherwise, in that fight.

Offline rdale

• Assistant to the Chief Meteorologist
  • Lansing MI
  • Liked: 257
  • Likes Given: 34
I still don't get what miffs you about this?

Offline robertross

• Canadian Member
  • Westphal, Nova Scotia
  • Liked: 505
  • Likes Given: 5202
I still don't get what miffs you about this?

Eliminate the risk: use new and uniform propellant throughout the entire SRB casting, just like they use to have. It's clear that it has an effect on the shuttle. It may be within the capabilities of the avionics to counter its effects, but that doesn't make it right.

When you make a big deal on TPS damage, ripcord damage on parachutes, FCVs, ...why should this be any different?
Remembering those who made the ultimate sacrifice for our rights & freedoms, and for those injured, visible or otherwise, in that fight.

Offline rdale

• Assistant to the Chief Meteorologist
  • Lansing MI
  • Liked: 257
  • Likes Given: 34
They did make a big deal, and the conclusion was that they were well within safety limits. They didn't just say "Sounds good, NEXT!" If you look on L2, there are extensive presentations on the topic, explaining why. And that's just the tip of the iceberg...

Offline mdo

• Liked: 0
  • Likes Given: 1
So the SRBs have been checked and double checked. Good. It made me raise an eyebrow though simply because the SRB manufacturer certainly doesn't need this kind of news while the spotlight is on Ares I and the gap - no matter how irrelevant that issue may be in a single booster configuration.

Tags: