Author Topic: SpaceX's Autonomous Spaceport Drone Ship Updates and Discussion Thread 3  (Read 1424087 times)

Offline Kabloona

• Velocitas Eradico
  • Fortress of Solitude
  • Liked: 3429
  • Likes Given: 741
No... surely they didn't engineer new, retractable legs only to require they be removed for transport... say it isn't so!

Wait, transport where: around the Cape/KSC, or across the country?

Here's what Tom Mueller said about the new legs a while back:

When that rocket came back, like yesterday [with NROl-76], it’s smoking, it’s sitting there smoking; we burned a lot of the ablative [material] on it; we have to remove the legs in order to lower it, and reinstall them; it’s not a quick turn. What we want is like an aircraft; you know, it pulls into the airport, the people get off, they fuel it up while the people are getting back on, they do some checks, you know; some inspections, and everything looks good and you go again. And that’s where we want to get to.

The Block 5 Falcon rocket that we’re rolling out later this year is going to have a reusable thermal protection on it; so we don’t burn up the heat shielding on it. And it’s going to have a much better landing legs that just fold up and; just drop the rocket, fold the legs, ship it, fold the legs out when it lands.

https://www.reddit.com/r/spacex/comments/6b043z/tom_mueller_interview_speech_skype_call_02_may/dhiygzm/
« Last Edit: 05/15/2018 09:00 pm by Kabloona »

Offline AncientU

• Liked: 4164
  • Likes Given: 6078
This article has a great cover photo to give size perspective of the grid fins... surprised me.
Now it makes sense that they are the largest titanium forging...
https://www.teslarati.com/spacex-falcon-9-block-5-returns-to-port-gallery/
« Last Edit: 05/15/2018 10:33 pm by AncientU »
"If we shared everything [we are working on] people would think we are insane!"
-- SpaceX friend of mlindner

Offline CameronD

• Melbourne, Australia
    • Norton Consultants
  • Liked: 868
  • Likes Given: 548
Now over a page of posts that have nothing to do with the ASDS..

C'mon people, back on topic!
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine - however, this is not necessarily a good idea. It is hard to be sure where they are
going to land, and it could be dangerous sitting under them as they fly overhead.

Online FutureSpaceTourist

• Global Moderator
  • UK
    • Plan 28
  • Liked: 81631
  • Likes Given: 36932
Continuing retrieval of Bangabandhu-1 booster on Block 5 thread:

https://forum.nasaspaceflight.com/index.php?topic=42465.msg1822118#msg1822118

Offline Kabloona

• Velocitas Eradico
  • Fortress of Solitude
While we're twiddling our thumbs in the ASDS thread, maybe we should start an office pool picking the date when SpaceX reveals the hitherto-mysterious A Shortfall of Gravitas. I'm guessing we'll get a drone pic from Elon introducing it sometime this year, but that leaves 200+ days of possibility.

The other topic of speculation is where it's being built. A source in bayou country says no one (s)he talks to down there knows anything. So it's status quo ignoramus.

Offline HVM

• Finland
  • Liked: 1202
  • Likes Given: 594
Propulsion and station keeping/remote control systems and service are provided by Wärtsilä, maybe even the new ASDS is designed by them?

Offline Asteroza

• Liked: 1084
  • Likes Given: 33
Sorry for deploying the batsignal here, but if any of our marine sleuths can chase after the news that Blue Origin has bought and is currently refitting their landing ship that would be swell...

Offline noogie

• Liked: 86
  • Likes Given: 14
It wouldn't be surprising if ASoG is being made capable of participating in BFS hop tests at Boca Chica as well as performing regular Falcon 9 landings at the cape.
« Last Edit: 05/30/2018 06:42 pm by gongora »

Online gongora

• Global Moderator
  • US
  • Liked: 13885
  • Likes Given: 5933
This isn't the party thread.  Trimmed a few posts.

Offline Kabloona

• Velocitas Eradico
  • Fortress of Solitude
Sorry for deploying the batsignal here, but if any of our marine sleuths can chase after the news that Blue Origin has bought and is currently refitting their landing ship that would be swell...

I guess you're referring to this:

http://www.ibtimes.com/jeff-bezos-blue-origin-has-bought-landing-ship-new-glenn-rocket-2684724

(I know it's not SpaceX ASDS news, but perhaps we can be permitted to digress briefly here while SpaceX ASDS news is sparse.)

There was some speculation a while back in the BO thread about what type of ship they were planning to use, beginning here:

https://forum.nasaspaceflight.com/index.php?topic=10685.msg1653469#msg1653469

Not clear to me that anyone nailed down what type of ship it would be, but someone took some measurements off the BO landing simulation video and figured the ship shown was around 200 meters long, in the ballpark of Supramax size.

But one of our members says he believes they'll use a Panamax, which according to him is the largest ship that Port Canaveral will be able to handle. And another member says Panamax ships are selling a deep discount due to the Canal widening project.

https://forum.nasaspaceflight.com/index.php?topic=38883.msg1765722#msg1765722

So, smart money is probably on a Supramax or Panamax ship. But given how common these are, it could be anywhere, maybe even a foreign shipyard where labor is cheaper for the conversion.
« Last Edit: 05/30/2018 11:26 pm by Kabloona »

Offline Lar

• Fan boy at large
  • Global Moderator
  • Saw Gemini live on TV
  • A large LEGO storage facility ... in Michigan
  • Liked: 11864
  • Likes Given: 11086
see also this thread

https://forum.nasaspaceflight.com/index.php?topic=45766

I think probably that's the best place for further discussion of the Blue fleet.  Unless they mount deck cannon and start taking out ASDSs or something (kidding)....
"I think it would be great to be born on Earth and to die on Mars. Just hopefully not at the point of impact." -Elon Musk
"We're a little bit like the dog who caught the bus" - Musk after CRS-8 S1 successfully landed on ASDS OCISLY

Offline vandersons

• Ireland
  • Liked: 66
  • Likes Given: 133
OCISLY seems to be slanted today.
GO Pursuit just started up its engine.

Offline vandersons

• Ireland
The GO sister ships are leaving port now, not sure if related to any SpaceX activities though.

Offline Semmel

• Germany
  • Liked: 2433
  • Likes Given: 11916
OCISLY seems to be slanted today.
GO Pursuit just started up its engine.

Looked the same yesterday..

Offline vandersons

• Ireland

Looks like we chose the same table. Or in my case the staff at Fishlips pointed me to it.

Offline Semmel

• Germany
  • Liked: 2433
  • Likes Given: 11916

Looks like we chose the same table. Or in my case the staff at Fishlips pointed me to it.

I didnt take this picture from a table, I walked over to where the stairs go outside and took it from there. Without a long lens, its kind of pointless to take pictures though.

Offline Kabloona

• Velocitas Eradico
  • Fortress of Solitude
While we're twiddling our thumbs in the ASDS thread, maybe we should start an office pool picking the date when SpaceX reveals the hitherto-mysterious A Shortfall of Gravitas. I'm guessing we'll get a drone pic from Elon introducing it sometime this year, but that leaves 200+ days of possibility.

The other topic of speculation is where it's being built. A source in bayou country says no one (s)he talks to down there knows anything. So it's status quo ignoramus.

The latest SpaceX Fleet article by Michael Baylor reports that plans for A Shortfall of Gravitas have been put on hold due to reduced demand for GTO launches next year (GTO launches are usually the ones that require downrange booster landing on an ASDS vs. RTLS). So that may explain the lack of intel about ASoG construction.

https://www.nasaspaceflight.com/2018/07/spacex-five-recoveries-less-two-weeks-fleet-activity/
« Last Edit: 07/22/2018 12:43 am by Kabloona »

Offline vanoord

• Liked: 450
  • Likes Given: 106
Found a couple of YouTube videos of JRTI out at sea, presumably testing the Thrustmasters - there is what appears to be propeller wash visible, but one of the four pods is only halfway down.

No date of when they were filmed, but it was uploaded last week.

Curiously, they took a telehandler out to sea, but it might just be a decent weight simulator for a landed core.

No sign of a garage for a second OctaGrabber, so presumably the Iridium recovery will use the tried-and-tested jacking option.

Offline Reflectiv

• UK - South Gloucestershire
  • Liked: 5
  • Likes Given: 1485
Is it just me or are SpaceX guys not very impressed with the drone flying right into their faces? Especially second video 0:45ish seconds.

Offline CameronD

• Melbourne, Australia
    • Norton Consultants
  • Liked: 868
  • Likes Given: 548
Found a couple of YouTube videos of JRTI out at sea, presumably testing the Thrustmasters - there is what appears to be propeller wash visible, but one of the four pods is only halfway down.

Looks like a nice day to be out on the water.. :)

I was looking for the beach umbrella and the cooler full of beer but can't see it anywhere.
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine - however, this is not necessarily a good idea. It is hard to be sure where they are
going to land, and it could be dangerous sitting under them as they fly overhead.

Tags:

Advertisement NovaTech
Advertisement Northrop Grumman
Advertisement
Advertisement Margaritaville Beach Resort South Padre Island
Advertisement Brady Kenniston
Advertisement NextSpaceflight
Advertisement Nathan Barker Photography