Author Topic: SpaceX Falcon 9/Dragon CRS-3 SpX-3 PAYLOADS  (Read 48767 times)

Offline jcm

• Jonathan McDowell
  • Somerville, Massachusetts, USA
    • Jonathan's Space Report
  • Liked: 1290
  • Likes Given: 775
SpaceX Falcon 9/Dragon CRS-3 SpX-3 PAYLOADS
« on: 03/08/2014 03:43 pm »
Let's pull out the discussion on payloads so it doesn't clog up the updates thread and separate it out from discussion on the rocket stuff and the landing legs.

For CRS-3 we have

HDEV (High Definition Earth Viewing), on a CEPA FRAM in the trunk, going to Columbus EPF, attach point SDN

OPALS (Optical Payload for Lasercomm Science), EXPA FRAM going to attach site 8 on ELC1.

Cubesats, for deploy from second stage?  (or trunk?? but previous cases have been second stage...)
 - All-Star/THEIA, Hermes-2, Ho'onopono (2 or 3?), LMRSat, SporeSat, TechCube-1, TSAT
(from
http://amsat-uk.org/2014/02/10/new-launch-dates-for-spacex-and-soyuz-2-1b-fregat-m/
SpaceX CRS-3 (Dragon C5) Falcon 9 v1.1 is now planned for March 16, 2014 at 0841 UT. It should be carrying these satellites:
 • All-Star/THEIA, Colorado Space Grant Consortium, 2401.700 MHz
 • Hermes-2, Colorado Space Grant Consortium, 437.425 MHz
 • Ho’oponopono-2, University of Hawaii, 427.220 MHz 9600 bps FSK / GMSK
 • LMRSat, Jet Propulsion Laboratory
 • SporeSat, Santa Clara University, 437.100 MHz and 2401.2-2431.2 MHz
 • TechCube-1, NASA Goddard
 • TSAT (TestSat-Lite), Taylor University
)

And Kicksat, a 3U cubesats with  N Sprites, where estimates of N are as high as 200  (trying to get the actual number).

EMU 3003 is a significant internal cargo.
-----------------------------

Jonathan McDowell
http://planet4589.org

Offline parham55

Re: SpaceX Falcon 9/Dragon CRS-3 SpX-3 PAYLOADS
« Reply #1 on: 03/08/2014 03:54 pm »
Let's pull out the discussion on payloads so it doesn't clog up the updates thread and separate it out from discussion on the rocket stuff and the landing legs.

For CRS-3 we have

HDEV (High Definition Earth Viewing), on a CEPA FRAM in the trunk, going to Columbus EPF, attach point SDN

OPALS (Optical Payload for Lasercomm Science), EXPA FRAM going to attach site 8 on ELC1.

Cubesats, for deploy from second stage?  (or trunk?? but previous cases have been second stage...)
 - All-Star/THEIA, Hermes-2, Ho'onopono (2 or 3?), LMRSat, SporeSat, TechCube-1, TSAT
(from
http://amsat-uk.org/2014/02/10/new-launch-dates-for-spacex-and-soyuz-2-1b-fregat-m/
SpaceX CRS-3 (Dragon C5) Falcon 9 v1.1 is now planned for March 16, 2014 at 0841 UT. It should be carrying these satellites:
)

And Kicksat, a 3U cubesats with  N Sprites, where estimates of N are as high as 200  (trying to get the actual number).

I saw N listed as 128, still trying to dig up the source.

Offline jcm

• Jonathan McDowell

Jonathan McDowell

Online docmordrid

• Michigan
  • Liked: 4207
  • Likes Given: 2
« Reply #3 on: 03/08/2014 05:15 pm »

For CRS-3 we have

(from
)

I saw N listed as 128, still trying to dig up the source.

Their Kickstarter page comments from 2 days ago says 104, limited to prevent jamming.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/zacinaction/kicksat-your-personal-spacecraft-in-space/posts/759795/comments
« Last Edit: 03/08/2014 05:16 pm by docmordrid »
DM

Offline Roy_H

• Political Solutions
  • Liked: 450
  • Likes Given: 3163
« Reply #4 on: 03/08/2014 06:25 pm »
Space junk is a serious problem. I would think that the worst is junk that is too small to track with earth radar and large enough to cause damage on impact. A nut or bolt at orbital speeds can do a lot of damage. I cannot believe that they would deliberately launch satellites so small that they cannot be tracked. Should be illegal IMHO.
"If we don't achieve re-usability, I will consider SpaceX to be a failure." - Elon Musk
Spacestation proposal: https://politicalsolutions.ca/forum/index.php?topic=3.0

Offline Owlon

• Math/Science Teacher
  • Vermont, USA
  • Liked: 167
  • Likes Given: 118
« Reply #5 on: 03/08/2014 07:21 pm »
Space junk is a serious problem. I would think that the worst is junk that is too small to track with earth radar and large enough to cause damage on impact. A nut or bolt at orbital speeds can do a lot of damage. I cannot believe that they would deliberately launch satellites so small that they cannot be tracked. Should be illegal IMHO.

I suspect they'll be deployed in low enough orbits that they will decay in a matter of weeks or months, which would also imply they don't intersect the orbit of any live satellite.

Offline guckyfan

• Germany
  • Liked: 2332
  • Likes Given: 2891
« Reply #6 on: 03/08/2014 07:37 pm »
http://amsat-uk.org/2014/03/03/mass-launch-of-437-mhz-satellites/

The largest ever launch of 437 MHz satellites is planned for March 16 at 0841 UT when 104 Sprite satellites will fly on the SpaceX Falcon 9 CRS 3 mission to be deployed into a 325×315 km 51.5 degree inclination orbit.

It is hoped that their orbit will decay in 6 weeks, but depending on atmospheric condition maybe much faster.

This was already on the forum I believe but I don't remember where.

Offline Roy_H

• Political Solutions
« Reply #7 on: 03/08/2014 07:49 pm »
http://amsat-uk.org/2014/03/03/mass-launch-of-437-mhz-satellites/

The largest ever launch of 437 MHz satellites is planned for March 16 at 0841 UT when 104 Sprite satellites will fly on the SpaceX Falcon 9 CRS 3 mission to be deployed into a 325×315 km 51.5 degree inclination orbit.

It is hoped that their orbit will decay in 6 weeks, but depending on atmospheric condition maybe much faster.

Glad to hear it. I always thought an orbit that high would take many years to decay.
"If we don't achieve re-usability, I will consider SpaceX to be a failure." - Elon Musk

Offline hop

• Liked: 553
  • Likes Given: 891
« Reply #8 on: 03/08/2014 08:06 pm »
Glad to hear it. I always thought an orbit that high would take many years to decay.
Depends on drag, and small stuff is inherently draggier because of cube / square. 3.5 cm  PCB squares will decay fast compared to most other stuff in the same orbit.

Offline jcm

• Jonathan McDowell
« Reply #9 on: 03/08/2014 11:00 pm »
Until recently, satellites in orbits that low were always pretty much the lowest operating satellite. With the proliferation of ISS-ejected cubesats that's no longer true. But I think the short decay times still mean it's not a big debris problem.

Jonathan McDowell

Offline baldusi

• Buenos Aires, Argentina
  • Liked: 2539
  • Likes Given: 8273
« Reply #10 on: 03/09/2014 03:03 am »
@AstroRobonaut
Less than 2 weeks until my legs are scheduled to launch on #SpaceX3! Can you tell I'm excited?pic.twitter.com/bUFL0Tw8X7

Which means that this flight is sporting legs both on the rocket and within the Dragon.
« Last Edit: 03/09/2014 03:04 am by baldusi »

Offline Roy_H

• Political Solutions
« Reply #11 on: 03/09/2014 04:50 am »
I know this has been hashed through before, but please help me refresh my mind.
As per the article: "The SpX-3 flight will carry a full launch and return complement of 1,580kg/3,476lb of payload, an increase from the previous limit of 800kg, afforded by the increased upmass capabilities of the Falcon 9 v1.1."

The SpaceX web site quotes cargo capacity of 6000kg which is a considerable discrepancy from 1580kg. So what are the reasons?
1. I believe SpaceX quotes the capacity to an orbit of 28° around 200km vs the ISS at 51.6° and 425km height.
2. I understand that the Merlin 1D engines are running at 85% of maximum thrust. Is this for long life?
3. SpaceX has reserved fuel to fly back the first stage.

Have I got everything? Does this account for the entire discrepancy?
On this flight there are Glacier and Merlin freezers. Do they stay with the Dragon? Are they considered part of the payload or just the contents if they are returning?
Is the 1580kg quoted only for the pressurized cargo?

Offline Steven Pietrobon

• Adelaide, Australia
    • Steven Pietrobon's Space Archive
  • Liked: 32735
  • Likes Given: 8178
« Reply #12 on: 03/09/2014 05:28 am »

According to the YouTube video it says "32 rows of Sprites deploy in ~7.5s". Each row has four satellites, giving a total of 128. This capture from the video also shows 32 rows.
Akin's Laws of Spacecraft Design #1:  Engineering is done with numbers.  Analysis without numbers is only an opinion.

Offline manboy

• Texas, USA, Earth
  • Liked: 134
  • Likes Given: 544
« Reply #13 on: 03/09/2014 09:41 am »
As per the article: "The SpX-3 flight will carry a full launch and return complement of 1,580kg/3,476lb of payload, an increase from the previous limit of 800kg, afforded by the increased upmass capabilities of the Falcon 9 v1.1."

The SpaceX web site quotes cargo capacity of 6000kg which is a considerable discrepancy from 1580kg. So what are the reasons?
1. I believe SpaceX quotes the capacity to an orbit of 28° around 200km vs the ISS at 51.6° and 425km height.
2. I understand that the Merlin 1D engines are running at 85% of maximum thrust. Is this for long life?
3. SpaceX has reserved fuel to fly back the first stage.

Have I got everything? Does this account for the entire discrepancy?
On this flight there are Glacier and Merlin freezers. Do they stay with the Dragon? Are they considered part of the payload or just the contents if they are returning?
Is the 1580kg quoted only for the pressurized cargo?
This has been discussed a few times but I never felt we got a satisfactory answer.

http://forum.nasaspaceflight.com/index.php?topic=31732.msg1084522#msg1084522

http://forum.nasaspaceflight.com/index.php?topic=31513.msg1082519#msg1082519

http://forum.nasaspaceflight.com/index.php?topic=31513.msg1157492#msg1157492
"Cheese has been sent into space before. But the same cheese has never been sent into space twice." - StephenB

Offline CuddlyRocket

« Reply #14 on: 03/09/2014 11:39 am »

It's important to distinguish between the mass of cargo that the Dragon capsule itself can structurally cope with and then the total payload of Dragon capsule plus its cargo that any particular launcher can actually boost into LEO. Presumably, if the Dragon was launched by an FH instead of an F9 its limit would be the 6000 kg, but even if you stuck it atop the mooted BFR it wouldn't be able to take more than that.
« Last Edit: 03/09/2014 11:41 am by CuddlyRocket »

Offline Skyrocket

• Extreme Veteran
  • Frankfurt am Main, Germany
  • Liked: 940
  • Likes Given: 172
« Reply #15 on: 03/09/2014 11:52 am »

According to the YouTube video it says "32 rows of Sprites deploy in ~7.5s". Each row has four satellites, giving a total of 128. This capture from the video also shows 32 rows.

I've got the information, that KickSat will not be filled with full complement of 128 Sprites. According to that source, "only" 104 Sprites will be on board. I've requested confirmation, but got no feedback from the KickSat team yet.

Offline jacqmans

• Global Moderator
  • Houten, The Netherlands
  • Liked: 8562
  • Likes Given: 320
« Reply #16 on: 03/09/2014 09:49 pm »

T-cell Experiment Patch

On the road to Mars and beyond, research on the International Space Station (ISS) will play a key role in understanding the impacts of spaceflight on human health.
In the central image of our patch, a SpaceX rocket blasts off atop two sweeping launch paths that extend up to the ISS, symbolizing the journey our T-cells will be taking to the ISS.

The two shades of blue represent the two spaceflights our experiment will fly on. The curves sweep slightly beyond the iconic station, highlighting its role in paving the path for future exploration.

In the lower right a cell is poised against the vast black backdrop of space, representing the T-cells at the heart of our experiment. Its DNA unfurls upward towards the ISS, symbolic of the changes in gene regulation, mRNA, and miRNA induced in the microgravity environment onboard the station, which we will be studying when the cells return to earth.

The names of the science team frame the top of the image, while the title of the project, "T-Cell Activation in Aging" completes the framing along the bottom.

http://www.collectspace.com/ubb/Forum18/HTML/001136.html
Jacques :-)

Offline beancounter

• Perth, Western Australia
  • Liked: 106
« Reply #17 on: 03/10/2014 06:43 am »

T-cell Experiment Patch

On the road to Mars and beyond, research on the International Space Station (ISS) will play a key role in understanding the impacts of spaceflight on human health.
In the central image of our patch, a SpaceX rocket blasts off atop two sweeping launch paths that extend up to the ISS, symbolizing the journey our T-cells will be taking to the ISS.

The two shades of blue represent the two spaceflights our experiment will fly on. The curves sweep slightly beyond the iconic station, highlighting its role in paving the path for future exploration.

In the lower right a cell is poised against the vast black backdrop of space, representing the T-cells at the heart of our experiment. Its DNA unfurls upward towards the ISS, symbolic of the changes in gene regulation, mRNA, and miRNA induced in the microgravity environment onboard the station, which we will be studying when the cells return to earth.

The names of the science team frame the top of the image, while the title of the project, "T-Cell Activation in Aging" completes the framing along the bottom.

http://www.collectspace.com/ubb/Forum18/HTML/001136.html

Thanks for the explanation.  It really adds to what is already an exciting mission from any standpoint.
Beancounter from DownUnder

Online docmordrid

• Michigan
  • Liked: 4207
  • Likes Given: 2
« Reply #18 on: 03/10/2014 07:37 am »
Odd there's a fairing instead of a Dragon.

That aside, sounds like interesting work.
DM

Offline Skyrocket

• Extreme Veteran
  • Frankfurt am Main, Germany
  • Liked: 940
« Reply #19 on: 03/10/2014 06:12 pm »
Just got confirmation from the University of Hawai'i, that Ho’oponopono is NOT on board of this launch.

Tags:

Advertisement NovaTech
Advertisement Northrop Grumman
Advertisement
Advertisement Margaritaville Beach Resort South Padre Island
Advertisement Brady Kenniston
Advertisement NextSpaceflight
Advertisement Nathan Barker Photography