Author Topic: Jupiter Icy Moons Explorer (JUICE) Green-lighted by ESA  (Read 29704 times)

Offline baldusi

• Buenos Aires, Argentina
  • Liked: 2539
  • Likes Given: 8273
Re: Jupiter Icy Moons Explorer (JUICE) Green-lighted by ESA
« Reply #40 on: 08/02/2015 04:33 am »
Europa green lighted the project assuming a "free" ride from a Proton. Last time they got that sort of deal with NASA, with the workhorse of the US launch vehicles they got cancelled "because" and had to go running to the Russians. Please stop dreaming about Juicy on SLS. In fact, I don't expect ESA to accept a launcher from NASA for an ESA mission for a long time. Great diplomatic move that one.

What do you mean by 'assuming a free ride from a Proton' ?
As far as I know, JUICE is still planned to be launched by Ariane 5.
Please read this article and this one. One issue was that at there was a point where the budget just didn't close. And the participating countries didn't wanted to pay more. So, to get the ExoMars mission, to get the JUICE start and to keep the budget within yearly expense limits, they assumed that JUICE would fly on a Proton. Since there's still a lot of time, they might switch to something else. But last time I checked they were interested in swapping instruments with the Russian Ganymede mission.

Offline Star One

• UK
  • Liked: 3974
  • Likes Given: 220
Jupiter Icy Moons Explorer (JUICE) Green-lighted by ESA
« Reply #41 on: 08/02/2015 08:29 am »
Europa green lighted the project assuming a "free" ride from a Proton. Last time they got that sort of deal with NASA, with the workhorse of the US launch vehicles they got cancelled "because" and had to go running to the Russians. Please stop dreaming about Juicy on SLS. In fact, I don't expect ESA to accept a launcher from NASA for an ESA mission for a long time. Great diplomatic move that one.

What do you mean by 'assuming a free ride from a Proton' ?
As far as I know, JUICE is still planned to be launched by Ariane 5.
Please read this article and this one. One issue was that at there was a point where the budget just didn't close. And the participating countries didn't wanted to pay more. So, to get the ExoMars mission, to get the JUICE start and to keep the budget within yearly expense limits, they assumed that JUICE would fly on a Proton. Since there's still a lot of time, they might switch to something else. But last time I checked they were interested in swapping instruments with the Russian Ganymede mission.

Surely in that time scale it would not be a Proton, more likely an Angara.

This is all irrelevant because as it says here it's being launched on an Ariane 5ECA.

http://space.skyrocket.de/doc_sdat/juice.htm
« Last Edit: 08/02/2015 08:34 am by Star One »

Offline denis

• EU
  • Liked: 24
  • Likes Given: 9
« Reply #42 on: 08/02/2015 07:45 pm »

OK, but these articles are quite old (1.5 and >2 years ago).
The JUICE definition report (Red book) from end 2014 only mention Ariane 5 as launch option.

The latest news report about award of the phase B2/C/D explicitly mentions Ariane 5:
The Ariane 5 launch is not included and will be procured later from Arianespace.

So it seems, whatever funding issues there was, it must have been resolved.

http://sci.esa.int/juice/54994-juice-definition-study-report/
http://sci.esa.int/juice/56165-preparing-to-build-esas-jupiter-mission/

Given that they have awarded the contract for implementation, any change to launcher or payload that significantly impact the S/C design will have an additional cost to ESA, depending how big a change and when that happens.

Offline as58

• Liked: 300
  • Likes Given: 186
« Reply #43 on: 08/02/2015 09:02 pm »
AFAIK the main funding problems have been with the ExoMars programme, which is part of the Robotic Exploration directorate. Juice and other Cosmic Vision missions are under Science directorate. One of the ideas to fix ExoMars funding shortage was to "borrow" some money from the Science directorate - I guess this is where the idea of saving money by using Proton to launch Juice comes from. I'm not sure if this was ever discussed really seriously, I've understood the idea of using Science money was not popular and there's a further complication with the fact that the Science programme is mandatory but Robotic Exploration is not.

Offline eeergo

Re: Jupiter Icy Moons Explorer (JUICE) CDR passed
« Reply #44 on: 04/03/2019 02:32 pm »
Reviving this old thread from when the program was officially started to mark a milestone: CDR passed with the Structural Test (STM) and Engineering Models (EM); Flight Model (FM) construction started!

https://twitter.com/esascience/status/1113446415341096962
« Last Edit: 04/03/2019 02:33 pm by eeergo »
-DaviD-

Tags:

Advertisement NovaTech
Advertisement Northrop Grumman
Advertisement
Advertisement Margaritaville Beach Resort South Padre Island
Advertisement Brady Kenniston
Advertisement NextSpaceflight
Advertisement Nathan Barker Photography