Author Topic: ISS US EVA 83 - 4A Channel IROSA Install - 22 Dec 2022 [Rubio, Cassada]  (Read 26469 times)

Offline Yellowstone10

Rubio's first main cleanup task is to secure the beam restraints (which the top iROSA sat on, and had to be removed to access the lower one) to the pallet that brought up the two iROSAs, while Cassada is retrieving the APFR from the SSRMS.
« Last Edit: 12/22/2022 06:37 pm by Yellowstone10 »

Offline Yellowstone10

Rubio quips that this is the closest he's been to an APFR in three EVAs. Cassada responds that he'd be glad to hand it over if Frank wants it.

Offline zubenelgenubi

• Global Moderator
  • Arc to Arcturus, then Spike to Spica
  • Sometimes it feels like Trantor in the time of Hari Seldon
  • Liked: 7344
  • Likes Given: 71418
Finishing up before moving to the airlock:
« Last Edit: 12/22/2022 07:00 pm by zubenelgenubi »
Support your local planetarium! (COVID-panic and forward: Now more than ever.) My current avatar is saying "i wants to go uppies!" Yes, there are God-given rights. Do you wish to gainsay the Declaration of Independence?

Offline zubenelgenubi

• Global Moderator
Moving to and into the airlock:

SPARTAN reports new solar array is generating electricity.

Congratulations via Capcom from Mission Control.

Hatch close.
« Last Edit: 12/22/2022 07:35 pm by zubenelgenubi »
Support your local planetarium! (COVID-panic and forward: Now more than ever.) My current avatar is saying "i wants to go uppies!" Yes, there are God-given rights. Do you wish to gainsay the Declaration of Independence?

Offline zubenelgenubi

• Global Moderator
https://twitter.com/Space_Station/status/1606008090662273024
.@NASA spacewalker Josh Cassada works on the roll-out solar array shortly before its deployment on the station's Port-4 truss segment. https://nasa.gov/live

Offline Yellowstone10

Concluding remarks as the astronauts hook their EMUs back up to the ISS - CAPCOM notes that "you made it look easy and routine... you've got a lot of people who are very glad that their holiday plans are still secure."

Cassada responds that he and Frank are going to put in for some leave.

Offline Yellowstone10

Repressurization has begun, concluding the spacewalk at 3:27 pm Eastern Time / 2027 UTC for a duration of 7 hours 8 minutes.

Offline Yellowstone10

By the numbers:

Offline zubenelgenubi

• Global Moderator
Today's EVA statistics and webcast sign-off.

Thumbs up to the entire EVA team!  And thank you, Joachim and Yellowstone, for your assistance covering the EVA for this thread!

Online Targeteer

• near hangar 18
  • Liked: 3315
  • Likes Given: 1125
That's an early signoff, normally coverage continues until the helmets are off... The crew is currently being serenaded by a someone singing "IROSA Rock" from Mission Control.
« Last Edit: 12/22/2022 08:07 pm by Targeteer »
Best quote heard during an inspection, "I was unaware that I was the only one who was aware."

Offline FutureSpaceTourist

• Global Moderator
  • UK
    • Plan 28
  • Liked: 81286
  • Likes Given: 36776
Some photos posted by NASA

Offline FutureSpaceTourist

• Global Moderator
  • UK
    • Plan 28
  • Liked: 81286
  • Likes Given: 36776
https://blogs.nasa.gov/spacestation/2022/12/22/nasa-spacewalkers-install-stations-fourth-roll-out-solar-array/

NASA Spacewalkers Install Station’s Fourth Roll-Out Solar Array

Expedition 68 Flight Engineers Josh Cassada and Frank Rubio of NASA concluded their spacewalk at 3:27 p.m. EST after 7 hours and 8 minutes.

Cassada and Rubio completed their major objectives for today to install an International Space Station Roll-Out Solar Array (iROSA) on the 4A power channel on the port truss. The iROSAs will increase power generation capability by up to 30%, increasing the station’s total available power from 160 kilowatts to up to 215 kilowatts.

It was the 257th spacewalk in support of space station assembly, upgrades, and maintenance, and was the third spacewalk for both astronauts.

Cassada and Rubio are in the midst of a planned six-month science mission living and working aboard the microgravity laboratory to advance scientific knowledge and demonstrate new technologies for future human and robotic exploration missions, including lunar missions through NASA’s Artemis program.

While Thursday’s spacewalk was underway, NASA Space Station Program Manager Joel Montalbano and Roscosmos Human Spaceflight Executive Director Sergei Krikalev participated in an audio-only media teleconference. The two space executives discussed the ongoing investigation of an external leak detected on the Soyuz MS-22 crew ship. Ground teams continue to assess data and options for the safe return of crew to Earth.

Listen to the teleconference here.

A transcript of the telecon will be provided once available.

Photo caption:

NASA spacewalker Josh Cassada prepares the station’s fourth roll-out solar array for its installation and deployment as the orbiting lab flew above the Atlantic Ocean off the coast of Namibia.
« Last Edit: 12/22/2022 08:23 pm by FutureSpaceTourist »

Offline Lewis007

• the Netherlands
  • Liked: 549
  • Likes Given: 120
Key NASA personnel for this EVA (according to my info): Flight Director was Fiona Turett, EVA Officer: Chris Mundy, Capcom: Nick Hague
« Last Edit: 12/23/2022 06:02 am by Lewis007 »

Online mn

• United States
  • Liked: 865
  • Likes Given: 332
Not sure where the best place to put this.

Per Rob Navias via email

The iROSA FSE / carrier is not loaded / departing with CRS-26.
It will instead be jettisoned via the SSRMS

My best guess is that the MS-22 inspection occupied a lot of arm time and there was not enough time to load the FSE / carrier back into dragon

Interesting. So out of curiosity when jettisoned via the SSRMS how long should it take to reenter?

Is this a big deal re orbital debris mitigation/avoidance?

Offline cohberg

• Liked: 771
  • Likes Given: 53
iROSA Pallet was jettisoned today via the SSRMS at ~9:26 AM PT
Video is 10x-30x realtime, LOS blue screens have been removed

« Last Edit: 02/01/2023 05:19 pm by cohberg »

Online Targeteer

• near hangar 18

Video of the pallet leading ISS
Best quote heard during an inspection, "I was unaware that I was the only one who was aware."

Online Targeteer

• near hangar 18
55448    ISS DEB (SPX-26 IPA FSE)   1998-067VB   92.88   51.64   419   412

Tags:

Advertisement NovaTech
Advertisement Northrop Grumman
Advertisement
Advertisement Margaritaville Beach Resort South Padre Island
Advertisement Brady Kenniston
Advertisement NextSpaceflight
Advertisement Nathan Barker Photography