Author Topic: ISS RS VKD-53 - April 28  (Read 27530 times)

Offline woods170

• IRAS fan
  • IRAS fan
  • The Netherlands
  • Liked: 18181
  • Likes Given: 12139
Re: ISS RS VKD-53 - April 28
« Reply #120 on: 04/29/2022 08:29 pm »
This is directly above 1 of the (now defunct) solar arrays of MLM Nauka. See image below.

Are they permanently shunted? I thought Nauka would be providing power to the RS after the required cables were routed a few months ago...
Temporarily defunct until the radiator is installed and activated.

Offline eeergo

« Reply #121 on: 05/03/2022 01:18 pm »
This is directly above 1 of the (now defunct) solar arrays of MLM Nauka. See image below.

Are they permanently shunted? I thought Nauka would be providing power to the RS after the required cables were routed a few months ago...

Thank you for the follow up, I understand now. So they should be providing power as soon as the radiator is installed and activated later this year (late July or early August, as implied by the current scheduling of VKD-57), adding power to the RS (2x that generated currently by Zvezda? or even a bit more considering how old those arrays are...).
-DaviD-

Offline woods170

• IRAS fan
  • IRAS fan
  • The Netherlands
  • Liked: 18181
  • Likes Given: 12139
« Reply #122 on: 05/03/2022 02:09 pm »

Thank you for the follow up, I understand now. So they should be providing power as soon as the radiator is installed and activated later this year (late July or early August, as implied by the current scheduling of VKD-57), adding power to the RS (2x that generated currently by Zvezda? or even a bit more considering how old those arrays are...).

Even with the new Nauka arrays active, the RS will still be a net consumer of electrical power from USOS. Making RS power independent would require adding 3 more sets of Nauka arrays.

Offline space_19771999

• Liked: 123
  • Likes Given: 4
« Reply #123 on: 05/11/2022 10:46 am »

Offline space_19771999

• Liked: 123
  • Likes Given: 4
« Reply #124 on: 05/11/2022 10:46 am »

Offline Rik ISS-fan

• the Netherlands
  • Liked: 612
  • Likes Given: 211
« Reply #125 on: 05/14/2022 11:20 am »
Is my conclusion correct that ERA now resides at base-point 2 and has it's not connected grapple fixture in front of base point 3. So after VKD-53, they continued moving ERA. By Grappling basepoint to with EE-1. And than moving EE-2 from basepoint 1 to base point 3.
They must have been confident in ERA to continue these movements with only internal or ground observation.
Is cosmonaut visual observation required for Grapping basepoint 3 with EE-2, or is there something wrong with this basepoint? Is that the step they plan to start with on VKD-54?

Edit: Thanks for your anser Anatoly Zak. (BTL-3 = Base point 3)
I'll share this image from a little earlier that shows ERA just after the VKD-53. (from cupola)

Flickr Nasa Johnson
« Last Edit: 05/15/2022 12:31 pm by Rik ISS-fan »

Offline russianhalo117

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 4660
  • Likes Given: 768
« Reply #126 on: 05/14/2022 06:48 pm »
Is my conclusion correct that ERA now resides at base-point 2 and has it's not connected grapple fixture in front of base point 3. So after VKD-53, they continued moving ERA. By Grappling basepoint to with EE-1. And than moving EE-2 from basepoint 1 to base point 3.
They must have been confident in ERA to continue these movements with only internal or ground observation.
Is cosmonaut visual observation required for Grapping basepoint 3 with EE-2, or is there something wrong with this basepoint? Is that the step they plan to start with on VKD-54?
No further ERA work until BTL-3 grapple fixture device operating failure resolved which ended the previous spacewalk and troubleshooting continued afterwards.
Paywalled ERA Status Update: The European Robotic Arm hits a snag during activation

One troubleshooting task that may be added to VKD-54 is to manually drive the grappling mechanism and extend and engage the pover, data and video connectors on EVA using the special ERA tools which were also used to release the  launch locks and activate the arms. BTL-3 failed continuity checks during the aborted grapple attempts because the grapple fixture didn't function upon commanding.
Paywalled ERA Status Update: Cosmonauts use new tools to activate the European Robotic Arm

Some people on the forum connected with ERA may be able to provide further details.
« Last Edit: 05/14/2022 06:51 pm by russianhalo117 »

Offline Rik ISS-fan

• the Netherlands
  • Liked: 612
  • Likes Given: 211
« Reply #127 on: 05/15/2022 12:39 pm »
So EE-2 isn't functioning nominally. So they need to use the manual drive tools (a safety feature of ERA) to drive the EE-2 grapple fixture. This was the first use of ERA, so problems could be expected. Though unfortunate.
ESA's track record on launching trouble free hardware isn't very well: MAR-ES, Bartolomeo, to name a couple.
I'm sure they'll find a fix.

Offline russianhalo117

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 4660
  • Likes Given: 768
« Reply #128 on: 05/16/2022 04:08 pm »
So EE-2 isn't functioning nominally. So they need to use the manual drive tools (a safety feature of ERA) to drive the EE-2 grapple fixture. This was the first use of ERA, so problems could be expected. Though unfortunate.
ESA's track record on launching trouble free hardware isn't very well: MAR-ES, Bartolomeo, to name a couple.
I'm sure they'll find a fix.
EE-2 is Good and functional. There is an ERA tool for manual engagement of the power and data connections. The connections and transfer of control to BTL-3 grapple base point is the issue because that is at fault. BTL-3 may have to be replaced with a yet to be installed BTL base point as is BTL-3 is what is suspect.

VKD-54 has been postponed to NET June 20, 2022. Strela is capable of performing all transfers and outfitting for all remaining Nauka EVA's which is the primary contingecy backup. The secondary contingency backup (to be used at last resort) is SSRMS/SPDM and in some EVA's would require OBSS to perform certain tasks.

Paywalled ERA Status Update: Robotic arm problem delays spacewalk
« Last Edit: 05/16/2022 04:08 pm by russianhalo117 »

Tags:

Advertisement NovaTech
Advertisement Northrop Grumman
Advertisement
Advertisement Margaritaville Beach Resort South Padre Island
Advertisement Brady Kenniston
Advertisement NextSpaceflight
Advertisement Nathan Barker Photography