Author Topic: Expedition 69 Thread  (Read 183457 times)

Offline Rondaz

• Liked: 5301
  • Likes Given: 169
Expedition 69 Thread
« on: 06/11/2021 02:31 pm »
Oleg Kononenko's crew worked out emergency situations in case of splashdown

06/11/2021 16:10

On the basis of the Noginsk Rescue Center of the EMERCOM of Russia, cosmonauts are being trained, aimed at practicing the actions of the crew after the descent vehicle has landed on the water surface. On Thursday, June 10, 2021, the crew of the 69th long-term expedition to the International Space Station, consisting of Roscosmos cosmonauts Oleg Kononenko, Nikolai Chub and Andrey Fedyaev, took part in the so-called short training session.

Indeed, it does not last long, because the proposed circumstances require the astronauts to act as quickly as possible. If a leak is detected in the descent vehicle, the crew must urgently leave it. The self-rescue operation is given 8 minutes.

“When the command to leave the ship comes, we have to put on gloves, life belts, and fasten the units of the wearable emergency stock (NAZ). It is very difficult to do this on your own due to the fact that space is limited and, in addition, the spacesuit constrains movement. Therefore, the commander of the crew helps the others to equip themselves, ”said test cosmonaut Andrei Fedyaev .

“Being in the central seat, the commander has the opportunity to help both the cosmonaut on his left and the one on the right. I am the first to leave the descent vehicle, otherwise my colleagues will not be able to get out, ”explained Oleg Kononenko, ISS-69 crew commander . - In general, the commander is responsible for the actions of the crew. If he managed to organize the work correctly, the training will be successful and all tasks will be completed. "
During the training, test cosmonaut Nikolai Chub received congratulations on his birthday. Holidays are not a reason to disrupt the flight preparation process.

“If I’m lucky to celebrate my birthday in orbit, I’ll probably not forget, but the fact that it coincided with the training is routine,” said Nikolai Chub . - For me, this is not the first cycle of training on the water. Usually at the time of their conduct it was very hot, the temperature in the descent vehicle exceeded 40 degrees. It's much cooler now, it's easier to train. "

Andrey Fedyaev and Nikolai Chub are preparing for the first expedition into orbit. Their commander, Oleg Kononenko, made four flights; he almost always spent his birthday in a working environment.

“I was born on June 21, and this day usually fell on the period of preparation for the flight: I either jumped with a parachute, or“ survived ”, or passed the exams. It also happened to celebrate a birthday in space, ”said Oleg Kononenko .

This year, "aquatic survival" started on June 7, 2021 and will end in the third decade of the month. Six crews, which, in addition to cosmonauts from Roscosmos and astronauts from NASA, included candidates for astronauts and space flight participants, will practice their survival skills in the event of emergency situations on the water surface. In addition to the “short” one, there are “long” and “dry” workouts, each of which differs in the type and volume of tasks performed.

https://www.roscosmos.ru/31456/

Offline Rondaz

Re: Expedition 69 Thread
« Reply #1 on: 06/13/2021 11:05 am »
The ISS-69 crew will begin to prepare for a specific mission six months before the flight

06/12/2021 22:40

Roscosmos cosmonauts Oleg Kononenko, Nikolai Chub and Andrey Fedyaev, who are preparing for a flight as part of the ISS-69 expedition, are still undergoing general training and have not yet embarked on a specific flight program, cosmonaut Kononenko told reporters.

“We will begin to train, study the experiments that we have to do in orbit, at least in six months, at the most - in a year. While we are undergoing general training on general experiments, which last a year or two. We haven't started a specific program yet, ” Kononenko said before going through the water survival training.

According to the astronaut, training on survival on the water takes place during the week, this time they will end on Friday. Prior to that, the crew trained to survive in the desert and in winter conditions.

“Abnormal descents, emergency descents, descents associated with an accident at the station are possible. The landing point by the Earth is calculated based on the fact that we will land on the ground. But this is not always possible. There is a possibility that we could land on the water. In order to feel psychologically confident, to understand that we can cope, such trainings are carried out, ” Kononenko explained , stressing that the training cycle is constantly being polished, but in general it remains unchanged.

Earlier Kononenko, Chub and Fedyaev were approved for training as part of the ISS-69 Expedition crew. They could go into orbit in 2023.

Source: TASS
June 10, 2021, 15:39

https://www.roscosmos.ru/31422/

Offline Rondaz

« Reply #2 on: 06/14/2021 11:08 am »
Astronaut @AstroSamantha finds her dream job, an inspiring video via @dwnews.

https://twitter.com/esaspaceflight/status/1404391108386471942

Offline theonlyspace

• Rocketeer
  • AEAI Space Center, USA
  • Liked: 105
  • Likes Given: 779
« Reply #3 on: 09/27/2022 07:47 pm »
Any word yet on a  crew patch for Expedition 69 yet?

Offline FutureSpaceTourist

• Global Moderator
  • UK
    • Plan 28
  • Liked: 81287
  • Likes Given: 36800
« Reply #4 on: 12/06/2022 09:18 pm »
https://twitter.com/mdcainjr/status/1600250705104674817

#ISS Expedition 69 patch design is pretty nice.  Kudos to the designer.

This upcoming expedition is expected to begin April 2023.

Offline NasaFan95

• Chesterfield Michigan
  • Liked: 13
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #5 on: 12/26/2022 11:04 pm »
Who’s commanding expedition 69 besides Oleg kononenko Ik that’ll be his third command which ties Fyodor Yuchirkin for the second most commands on the station, Padalka has the most with 4.

Offline Ben E

• Liked: 100
  • Likes Given: 9
« Reply #6 on: 12/27/2022 06:26 am »
Bowen will command the first half, Kononenko the second half.

Offline Nicolas PILLET

• Gien, France
    • Kosmonavtika
  • Liked: 668
  • Likes Given: 132
« Reply #7 on: 02/25/2023 06:15 pm »
So, do we know when Expedition 69 will begin ?
Nicolas PILLET
Kosmonavtika : The French site on Russian Space

Offline Joachim

• Mainz, Germany
    • SPACEFACTS
  • Liked: 466
  • Likes Given: 524
« Reply #8 on: 02/25/2023 06:49 pm »
Rob Navias told me: with undocking of Soyuz MS-23.

Offline Ben E

« Reply #9 on: 02/26/2023 08:38 am »
Per Rob Navias, Exp69 begins with the Soyuz MS-23 undocking in late March.

Offline astropl

• Regular
  • Poland
    • Loty kosmiczne
  • Liked: 51
  • Likes Given: 2
« Reply #10 on: 02/26/2023 09:06 am »
Rob Navias told me: with undocking of Soyuz MS-23.

Soyuz MS-22, of course.
Waldemar Zwierzchlejski (astropl)
http://lk.astronautilus.pl

Offline Ben E

« Reply #11 on: 03/02/2023 05:47 am »
Exp69 begins with Soyuz MS-22 departure in late March

Prokopyev remains Exp69 CDR until his own crew's return to Earth in September (should give him the longest continuous tenure of an ISS CDR, eclipsing Mike L-A's 202 days from Exp14)

Bowen et. al. remain Exp69 flight engineers throughout their increment

Mogensen becomes Exp70a CDR in September when Prokopyev and Soyuz MS-23 departs

Kononenko becomes Exp70b CDR in early 2024 when Mogensen departs

Exp71 starts with Kononenko's departure on Soyuz MS-24 in March 2024

« Last Edit: 03/02/2023 05:51 am by Ben E »

Offline hektor

• Liked: 1192
  • Likes Given: 54
« Reply #13 on: 03/03/2023 08:37 pm »
An unfortunate effect of MS-23 launching uncrewed is that for some time the ISS crew will be entirely male. That has probably not happened since a while.
« Last Edit: 03/03/2023 08:37 pm by hektor »

Offline Ben E

« Reply #14 on: 03/04/2023 04:56 am »
Yes, the last time there was an all-male crew was (I think) a couple of days in November 2021, after Crew-2 departure and before Crew-3 indirect handover.

Crew then was:
Anton Shkaplerov, Commander
Pyotr Dubrov, Flight Engineer
Mark Vande Hei, Flight Engineer

Last "full" all-male crew was Expedition 63 in 2020:
Chris Cassidy, Commander
Anatoli Ivanishin, Flight Engineer
Ivan Vagner, Flight Engineer
Doug Hurley, Flight Engineer
Bob Behnken, Flight Engineer

Offline Zed_Noir

• Canada
  • Liked: 1801
  • Likes Given: 1296
« Reply #15 on: 03/06/2023 12:11 am »
<snip>
Last "full" all-male crew was Expedition 63 in 2020:
Chris Cassidy, Commander
Anatoli Ivanishin, Flight Engineer
Ivan Vagner, Flight Engineer
Doug Hurley, Flight Engineer
Bob Behnken, Flight Engineer

FYI. Only Ivan Vagner is still active. The rest of the Expedition 63 crew have all retired. Wasn't that long ago.

Offline TALsite

• Spain
  • Liked: 111
  • Likes Given: 34
« Reply #16 on: 03/08/2023 08:01 pm »
Expedition 68 Astronaut Frank Rubio Talks with Televisa Univision - March 7, 2023

In this video of Frank Rubio with the Televisa channel (in Spanish), around minute 7:30 when he is asked about the extension of the mission he says: "At the end of the month we will know, we don't know if it will be 3 or 6 months more".

If it were only 3 months more, the return would be at the end of June or so, and I can't imagine in which spacecraft he could return.
I don't think the Russians will advance Soyuz MS-24 launch to July, so he could refer only to his own return.

Does anyone have any information on this decision for the extended stay?

Offline NasaFan95

• Chesterfield Michigan
  • Liked: 13
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #17 on: 03/11/2023 08:46 pm »
So I have a question if they return in June cuz that’s the rumor now that it got pushed forward to June the departure of prokopyev, Rubio, & the other cosmonaut who’s name escapes me at the moment would Bowen command from June to September when he lands and give the command to morgensen. I just wondered that

Offline Ben E

« Reply #18 on: 03/12/2023 05:01 pm »
The original plan, before the Soyuz MS-22 leak in December, was for Bowen to command the first half of Exp69 and Kononenko to command the second half.

So if Prokopyev et. al. returned home before Crew-6, I would imagine that, yes, Bowen would take command.

A similar precedent was set last year by Cristoforetti, who was originally assigned to command, then her increment was shortened and she was expected to remain a flight engineer, before being extended again and she got her command after all.

As Rob Navias told me some time ago: "All this command rotation activity is highly dependent on when these flights actually fly and all are subject to change."

Offline John_Marshall

• Minneapolis
  • Liked: 83
  • Likes Given: 119
« Reply #19 on: 03/19/2023 12:16 am »
Have they announced if Soyuz MS 23 is coming home in June. I just wondered if theirs been an announcement made, & have they announced who’s commanding expedition 71, if I had to guess Caldwell or ovchinin the first half & whoever flies on crew 8 the second half.

The Expedition 69 thread is not the place for Expedition 71 questions.

Tags:

Advertisement NovaTech
Advertisement Northrop Grumman
Advertisement
Advertisement Margaritaville Beach Resort South Padre Island
Advertisement Brady Kenniston
Advertisement NextSpaceflight
Advertisement Nathan Barker Photography