Author Topic: ISS RS: Nauka Multipurpose Laboratory Module-Upgrade (MLM-U) General Updates and Discussion Thread  (Read 801452 times)

Offline Danderman

• Extreme Veteran
  • Liked: 698
  • Likes Given: 723
Is the radial port for the airlock really APAS? At one time, it was probe and cone, back when this article was FGB-2, but now its a bit of mystery what mating system will be used for the airlock. Since the airlock is already in orbit, attached to Rassvet, there are no good photos of its docking mechanism, so its all a  mystery to me.

In this MLM A/L preflight photo, an APAS docking collar is clearly visible.

An "APAS docking collar" is the same as a hybrid docking collar or an IDSS docking collar. Although its hard to tell from the image because the collar is covered, it has a similar form factor as the APAS docking collar.

The mating system, however, is missing from the photo, and instead, under a plastic cover, we can see that it doesn't look like an APAS or a hybrid.

Offline Nicolas PILLET

• Gien, France
    • Kosmonavtika
  • Liked: 668
  • Likes Given: 132
According to schemes available in L2 documents, the docking system seems to be new. It looks like an APAS, but with four spade-shaped guides instead of three.

I join a snapshot from a L2 document. If it's a bad idea, feel free to delete.
Nicolas PILLET
Kosmonavtika : The French site on Russian Space

Offline Nicolas PILLET

• Gien, France
    • Kosmonavtika
  • Liked: 668
  • Likes Given: 132
This ESA picture confirms.
Nicolas PILLET
Kosmonavtika : The French site on Russian Space

Offline Danderman

• Extreme Veteran
I noticed that on the side of the MLM node facing away from the airlock will be a cupola, not too different from than on Soyuz. This small window will face aft, perhaps giving a better view of vehicles approaching the rear ISS docking port.

Offline Jason1701

• Liked: 70
  • Likes Given: 152
From space.com:
In May 2012, Russia will launch the Nauka Multipurpose Laboratory Module (MPLM), a new room to be added onto the space station's Zvezda nadir port, replacing the Pirs docking compartment currently there. Nauka will house science experiments and cargo and will be used for docking, as well as work and rest areas for the crew.

They're off their rocker, right?

Offline manboy

• Texas, USA, Earth
  • Liked: 134
  • Likes Given: 544
"Cheese has been sent into space before. But the same cheese has never been sent into space twice." - StephenB

Offline woods170

• IRAS fan
  • IRAS fan
  • The Netherlands
  • Liked: 18181
  • Likes Given: 12139
From space.com:
In May 2012, Russia will launch the Nauka Multipurpose Laboratory Module (MPLM), a new room to be added onto the space station's Zvezda nadir port, replacing the Pirs docking compartment currently there. Nauka will house science experiments and cargo and will be used for docking, as well as work and rest areas for the crew.

They're off their rocker, right?

Yes, they are. I've heard two indepent sources confirm that launch of Nauka is NET september 2013. And that was over a month ago. The electrical and engineering model of Nauka was delivered to Energia some weeks ago, for integration, scheduled to last into the second half of 2012. Only after that has been done can we expect the flight model of Nauka to be delivered to Energia. And then the whole process begins over again, on the flight model.
« Last Edit: 12/28/2011 09:52 am by woods170 »

Offline Danderman

• Extreme Veteran
http://www.gazeta.ru/social/2011/10/19/3806658.shtml

From translate.google.com with edits:

— 19.10.11 18:37 —

The Federal Space Agency announced a tender for the establishment of a research module for the ISS. Nearly four billion were rubles allocated  to finish the lab in a project approved for the Russian segment of the station in 2004. The module will be in orbit in the summer of 2013.

On Wednesday, the Federal Space Agency announced a competition to create a multipurpose laboratory module (MLM) for the Russian segment of International Space Station (MSC). The contract price is 3.725 billion rubles, the deadlines - November 2011 - July 2013.

As specified in the tender documentation, it is a "complement to the technical requirements for part of development activities," ISS - MLM "in terms of detail work stages from November this year to launch the new ISS module and its docking with the Russian segment. "When the work is used reserve, created in the course of "OKP" in the period 2006-2011" - stated in the specifications to the competition.

The winner, it seems, can already be called. It's Khrunichev together with RSC "Energia". Khrunichev has been working on the module with since the 1990s.
« Last Edit: 12/28/2011 05:45 pm by Danderman »

Offline Danderman

• Extreme Veteran
A question about MLM for the experts:

Since the FGB was slated to operate in space for some time and then dock with the Service Module, I am guessing that it carried a very large prop supply. Since the flight maneuver requirements for MLM are probably significantly less than for FGB, I am wondering if the tankage and prop load will be less for MLM, freeing up more mass for cargo and other hardware.

What other differences are there between MLM and FGB, other than the ERA/radiator packages and the different docking ports?

Offline Prober

• Save the spin....I'm keeping you honest!
  • Nevada
  • Liked: 721
  • Likes Given: 729
Noticed in the Russian launch schedule that some slip has been added from a May launch to a Sept launch?

2017 - Everything Old is New Again.
"I fear all we have done is to awaken a sleeping giant..." --Isoroku Yamamoto

Offline Space Pete

Noticed in the Russian launch schedule that some slip has been added from a May launch to a Sept launch?

Last I heard, MLM was (unofficially) NET December 2013?
NASASpaceflight ISS Editor

Offline woods170

• IRAS fan
  • IRAS fan
  • The Netherlands

Which is basically confirming what ESA and NLR had already been told by the Russians, some time ago.

Offline PeterAlt

• West Palm Beach, FL
  • Liked: 8
  • Likes Given: 40
Does this slip also push back the Node Module? If so, what's the new estimated launch date for NM?

Offline Danderman

• Extreme Veteran
There is a discussion in the NK forum about another delay for the MLM. Apparently, Roskosmos has not ordered the launcher for MLM yet, and Energia's design for MLM outfitting is not the same as the Roskosmos requirements.
« Last Edit: 03/15/2012 04:55 pm by Danderman »

Offline Space Pete

There is a discussion in the NK forum about another delay for the MLM. Apparently, Roskosmos has not ordered the launcher for MLM yet, and Energia's design for MLM outfitting is not the same as the Roskosmos requirements.

*Sigh* ::)
NASASpaceflight ISS Editor

Offline Prober

• Save the spin....I'm keeping you honest!
  • Nevada
  • Liked: 721
  • Likes Given: 729

the date slipped the other day.  Now into 2014
2017 - Everything Old is New Again.
"I fear all we have done is to awaken a sleeping giant..." --Isoroku Yamamoto

Offline woods170

• IRAS fan
  • IRAS fan
  • The Netherlands

the date slipped the other day.  Now into 2014

Just asked my NLR contact about this. He said the same. Launch NET spring 2014. I will ask my ESA contact as well.

Offline Stan Black

• Liked: 377
  • Likes Given: 228

http://www.rosspending.ru/fk/contract/0025907000259/

What did they do with this one?

Offline Danderman

• Extreme Veteran

http://www.rosspending.ru/fk/contract/0025907000259/

What did they do with this one?

I dunno, that page does not appear on the web site anymore.

Offline manboy

• Texas, USA, Earth
  • Liked: 134
  • Likes Given: 544
Why does the launch keep getting delayed?
"Cheese has been sent into space before. But the same cheese has never been sent into space twice." - StephenB

Tags:

Advertisement NovaTech
Advertisement Northrop Grumman
Advertisement
Advertisement Margaritaville Beach Resort South Padre Island
Advertisement Brady Kenniston
Advertisement NextSpaceflight
Advertisement Nathan Barker Photography