Author Topic: ISS RS: Nauka Multipurpose Laboratory Module-Upgrade (MLM-U) General Updates and Discussion Thread  (Read 801407 times)

Offline PeterAlt

• West Palm Beach, FL
  • Liked: 8
  • Likes Given: 40
Haven't heard anything lately about planned Russian Modules, specifically the MLM. Does anyone know if it's still on target for late next 2011-early 2012? I checked russianspaceweb.com and no updates on MLM for the last couple of years, but the Node Module section was recently updated with a projected launch date of 2013.
« Last Edit: 07/25/2021 07:27 pm by gongora »

Offline cd-slam

• Singapore
  • Liked: 18
  • Likes Given: 315
anik's plan of Russian launch schedule in the Russian section has it pencilled in for August 2012. I'd take that date with a huge grain of salt, though.

Offline B. Hendrickx

• Liked: 1870
  • Likes Given: 65
Last month the MLM launch was reported to have slipped from May to August 2012. Last Monday RKK Energiya chief Vitaliy Lopota was quoted as saying that while "everything is OK with financing" there were problems with "production resources" at the Khrunichev Center, whatever that may mean. He added that the Russian segment is still expected to be completed in 2015.

Yesterday Interfax quoted an unidentified source in the Russian space industry as saying that the Node Module is still on track for launch in 2013. The source confirmed earlier speculation that after the end of ISS operations the Node Module may become the hub of a new Russian space station (sometimes referred to as OPSEK). For that reason it is being built for a service life of "at least 30 years". 

The Node Module will be launched with a Soyuz-2B booster from Baikonur and will be towed to the station by a detachable service module (like Pirs and Poisk). It will have six docking ports, four lateral and two axial. The front axial port will be used to dock with MLM. The two "Science Energy Modules" (a pair of solar arrays for the Russian segment) will first dock with the aft axial port of the Node Module and then be transferred to two of the lateral ports with a special manipulator arm. The aft axial port will also be used to receive Soyuz and Progress vehicles. The source quoted by Interfax also said that one of the ports can eventually be turned from an active into a passive docking port "so that it can also receive transport ships". Presumably, this will become the new role of the front axial port once it becomes part of the new Russian space station.

Offline Danderman

• Extreme Veteran
  • Liked: 698
  • Likes Given: 723
Any standard probe and cone docking system can be converted from male to female or vice versa simply by switching out the specific male/female docking hardware. Same with the hybrid system. This switchout must be done while the vehicle is docked, so that there is atmosphere on both sides of the docking adapter. If the docking system is exposed to space, the switchout requires a pressure dome to be fitted over the adapter (never been done, although a pressure dome was developed for FGB).

Also, an APAS-89 or later can be converted to hybrid by switching out the docking petals for a probe or cone.

What requires magic is conversion or mating of a standard probe and cone system to hybrid or APAS.  Apparently, Energia has performed  8) invoking magic to allow the MLM and Node modules to dock.

« Last Edit: 12/30/2010 02:26 pm by Danderman »

Offline Lobo

• Spokane, WA
  • Liked: 672
  • Likes Given: 436
Haven't they been delaying this this for like the past 8 years or something?  Will this last Russian segment ever actually be finished and launched?  Or is it destined for final cancellation at some time in the near future?

Offline Space Pete

Current scheduled launch is ~August 2012.

Doubt it will be cancelled, as Roscosmos recently approved the Node Module, which is dependant upon the MLM.
NASASpaceflight ISS Editor

Offline Lobo

• Spokane, WA

Doubt it will be cancelled, as Roscosmos recently approved the Node Module, which is dependant upon the MLM.

Yea, I know it's "currently" scheduled for 2012.  But it's been "currently" schedule for a few years from whatever the date today is for several years.  At one time I think it was scheduled for like 2003 or 2004.   At least an earlier version if it was.IN fact, I think there were 2 of them at one point, then down to one.  Just seems it's just "just a couple years away" for many years now.  Perpetually just around the corner.  So I just didn't know if the Russians were every going to get it finished and up, or if they were just going to dick around with it forever. 

Anyway, if there's another component that's dependant on this one, then yea, that would seem to indicate the Russians aren't just stalling in perpetuity, and will actually get it up at some point.  Hopefully. ;-)

Thanks for the info.
« Last Edit: 03/01/2011 07:10 pm by Lobo »

Offline Stan Black

• Liked: 377
  • Likes Given: 228
I get the impression from
http://www.federalspace.ru/main.php?id=2&nid=8081
that they are trying to remove all items manufacture in the Ukraine.

A Proton rocket has been manufactured and paid for
http://www.rosspending.ru/fk/contract/0025907000259/?year=2007

Offline Lobo

• Spokane, WA

I'll have to take your word for it as I can't read Russian.  :-)

Offline aquarius

• Liked: 0
  • Likes Given: 0

Actually, it's December 2012.

Offline JayP

• Liked: 4

I'll have to take your word for it as I can't read Russian.  :-)
The "English" button at the top of the page seems to work. ;)

Offline Ronsmytheiii

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 1879
  • Likes Given: 1020
Since the MLM will be providing backup attitude control, it almost seems essential for the long term for the module to fly.  So while the schedule could conceivably stretch out further to the right as it has in the past, it is needed for long term utilization for both the Russian segment and the USOS.

Edit: Not to mention that parts of the MLM are already on orbit (radiator, ERA spare elbow on the MRM-1)
« Last Edit: 03/07/2011 12:19 am by Ronsmytheiii »

Offline Space Pete

New Russian Module for the ISS to be Launched in 2012 – Roscosmos Head.

New Russian lab module for the International Space Station is to be launched in 2012, Roscosmos Head Anatoly Perminov told news media.
"We are in process preparing new Russian lab module for launch in 2012", Perminov stated.

http://www.roscosmos.ru/main.php?id=2&nid=11529&lang=en
« Last Edit: 03/13/2011 07:53 pm by Space Pete »

Offline Space Pete

Multipurpose laboratory module to be launched to ISS as scheduled.

The launch of the multipurpose laboratory module to the International Space Station (ISS) has not been postponed, Rocket and Space Corporation Energia chief Vitaly Lopota said.

He said the success of this work would largely depend on the Khrunichev Space Centre.

The module is scheduled to be launched in 2012.

Asked if any changes have been made in the launch schedule, Lopota said on Monday, April 4, “Everything is going as scheduled. The rocket and space corporation has done everything it could.”

“Khrunichev is making the module’s body. Energia will fill it with equipment at the next stage,” Lopota said. “Much depends on how Khrunichev organises it work.”

http://www.itar-tass.com/eng/level2.html?NewsID=16116792&PageNum=0

Offline PeterAlt

• West Palm Beach, FL
  • Liked: 8
  • Likes Given: 40
Also, see the Space Policy Discussion section. There is a thread with news that Russia has approved a doubling of their space program budget for the next fiscal year. I would assume that this would be more than enough to get all of their planned modules built and launched, as well as their planned communications satellites.

Offline Jim

• Night Gator
  • Cape Canaveral Spaceport
  • Liked: 21448
  • Likes Given: 428
Also, see the Space Policy Discussion section. There is a thread with news that Russia has approved a doubling of their space program budget for the next fiscal year. I would assume that this would be more than enough to get all of their planned modules built and launched, as well as their planned communications satellites.

No, you can't believe everything you hear about the Russian space program.

Offline Danderman

• Extreme Veteran

Following up on what Jim was stating, from what I can tell, Putin said something like: "we really should spend some money on space, some day." I believe that the doubled budget referred to the last 2 years, where the money was indeed twice the prior budget.

Offline eeergo

Cool video about the current status of Nauka, including interior views:

It appears there's a second FGB-derived pressure vessel apart from the one used for MLM. Is that just a non-flight-worthy mockup or a backup (my Russian isn't nearly good enough to pick it up from the commentary)? In case it's a backup, I thought MLM was already the backup of Zarya on its day?
-DaviD-

Offline aquarius

• Liked: 0
Cool video about the current status of Nauka, including interior views:

It appears there's a second FGB-derived pressure vessel apart from the one used for MLM. Is that just a non-flight-worthy mockup or a backup (my Russian isn't nearly good enough to pick it up from the commentary)? In case it's a backup, I thought MLM was already the backup of Zarya on its day?

The second one is a mockup for tests.

BTW, the commentator says MLM will have CQ for a third Russian crew member, so no more sleeping in Node 2 for the Russians.

Offline Danderman

• Extreme Veteran
The 2nd article was described as a structural dynamic test article.

From the video, it looks like little work has been done on the MLM in the last few years, and that Khrunichev put together a work team to be hanging around when the video crew was scheduled to film. I suspect that those people went back to building Protons the next day.

Tags:

Advertisement NovaTech
Advertisement Northrop Grumman
Advertisement
Advertisement Margaritaville Beach Resort South Padre Island
Advertisement Brady Kenniston
Advertisement NextSpaceflight
Advertisement Nathan Barker Photography