Poll

How often do you want an ISS Topology update?

Once a year
0 (0%)
When racks are relocated
1 (33.3%)
For each crew increment (rack location only)
1 (33.3%)
For each crew increment (rack locations & Drawers / Lockers)
0 (0%)
For each cargo visiting vehicle (Rack location & Drawers / Lockers)
1 (33.3%)

Total Members Voted: 3

Voting closed: 11/30/2019 04:49 pm

Author Topic: ISS Rack configurations  (Read 67548 times)

Offline russianhalo117

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 4660
  • Likes Given: 768
Re: ISS Rack configurations
« Reply #40 on: 09/18/2015 10:18 pm »
So I'm working on an updated rack topology diagram following the HTV-5 rack transfers.

Changes to the most recent topology diagram (posted below) are as follows:

. MSPR-2 to JPM1F2
. Galley rack to NOD1P4

The ZSR that was previously located at NOD1P4 I presume has now gone to the PMM, but I don't know to which bay. Also at least one RSP has been removed from the PMM for disposal via HTV, but again I don't know which bay it came from. As such I now have no idea as to the rack configuration of the PMM, so I may have to omit it from a future topology diagram.

Is anyone else aware of any other changes in rack topology since the last diagram that are not listed above?
I sent some emails might know by next week.

Offline Space Pete

« Reply #41 on: 10/01/2015 02:12 am »
Here's my updated rack topology diagram. Changes are as follows:

. MSPR-2 added to JPM1F2
. Galley rack added to NOD1P4
. PMM removed (since I have no info regarding it's current config)
NASASpaceflight ISS Editor

Offline Arb

• London
  • Liked: 514
  • Likes Given: 433
« Reply #42 on: 10/04/2015 07:52 pm »
Very pretty Space Pete. And interesting. But sooo many TLAs.

Could look them up if there were more hours in a day but, given that you reissue this from time to time, would be much better if you could find a way to include a list of definitions. Perhaps move the colour key to the left to make a space? A smaller font would be fine. Also, an explanation of SDPO, OADF, etc.

Just my 2p worth.

Offline Rik ISS-fan

• the Netherlands
  • Liked: 612
  • Likes Given: 211
« Reply #43 on: 10/05/2015 08:38 am »

Could look them up if there were more hours in a day but, given that you reissue this from time to time, would be much better if you could find a way to include a list of definitions. Perhaps move the colour key to the left to make a space? A smaller font would be fine. Also, an explanation of SDPO, OADF, etc.

Just my 2p worth.

Added with reply #15 (page1) is a document called Rack SE, this explains the abreviations a bit. I will update that document.

I've added the document. A lot of information is from the txt. document Jonatan made a couple of years ago. So I should thank him for his work back than.
@SpacePete If you want to add the NSS logo and claim the autor rights it's fine by me. I couldn't have made this without NSS.
I've also added a small document that just explains the abreviations
« Last Edit: 10/05/2015 06:51 pm by Rik ISS-fan »

Offline Space Pete

« Reply #44 on: 10/19/2015 02:45 pm »

Just my 2p worth.

Hi Arb,

Thanks for your suggestions.

For sure I would like to include a key, maybe also with a picture of the rack in question and a description of its function. Maybe I'll look into doing a "v2" of this sometime. What I would really love to do is to make it interactive, so you could click on a rack and it would bring up the info. I would probably have to do that as an HTML page though.

Added with reply #15 (page1) is a document called Rack SE, this explains the abreviations a bit. I will update that document.

I've added the document. A lot of information is from the txt. document Jonatan made a couple of years ago. So I should thank him for his work back than.
@SpacePete If you want to add the NSS logo and claim the autor rights it's fine by me. I couldn't have made this without NSS.
I've also added a small document that just explains the abreviations

Thanks Rik, they are very useful.

Just for the record, with regard claiming author rights, I only put the NSF logo and my name on my topology diagram in order to stop other blogs from stealing it and presenting it as their own work (which has happened before). In reality all the work produced in this thread is only made possible by a collaboration of many people over many years, including yourself who put in the original work, for which I am grateful. :)
« Last Edit: 10/19/2015 02:47 pm by Space Pete »
NASASpaceflight ISS Editor

Offline Rik ISS-fan

• the Netherlands
« Reply #45 on: 02/05/2016 09:29 am »
Several weeks ago I found the latest status update for ACLS (ESA Live support rack, Contribution for the 2016-2020 time frame, the Orion service module is the other contribution, the total value is 600mln euro [4x150mln]) It can be found here (direct download)

The plan has changed a bit. The ACLS rack will be launched on HTV-7 in 2017 (as planned) bit it's location has changed from Columbus to Destiny P1 (currently Robonaut is stowed there). The advantage of this is that there is a external vent and a water bus connection available there. So the ACLS rack can directly vent outside and no crew time is required to supply the water to and from the rack.

Offline Rik ISS-fan

• the Netherlands
« Reply #46 on: 02/05/2016 09:37 am »
We also know there are five new racks planned:
- Two Basic Express racks (BER) ER-9B and ER-10B, most likely they will fly on HTV-6 or one on HTV-6 and one on HTV-8.
- A second globe box rack (MSG-2 or LSG {life science glovebox}) HTV-6 or HTV-8
- ACLS (Advanced Close Loop System) HTV-7 2017, goes to LAB P1.
- Water Stowage Rack, most likely HTV-7 2017, and I think it will go to the LAB, Node3 or PMM.

Offline Coastal Ron

• I live... along the coast
  • Liked: 10187
  • Likes Given: 11915
« Reply #47 on: 10/30/2017 07:14 pm »
As announced I've made a Excel file with the ISS rack topology. But now I also want to include:
- the Class 2 facilities, aka, the payloads inside the EXPRESS rack's, EDR, MSPR's, MSG.
- External payloads.
- Launches: what goes up and comes down.

This is a first rough release. (It needs some improvements)
Feel free to suggest improvements. And feel free to modify the document and use it (or parts of it).
In my opinion this document couldn't have been created without the NSF community. So NSF has the author rights.

Wow, your spreadsheet is highly detailed, and even includes pictures - Great Job!
If we don't continuously lower the cost to access space, how are we ever going to afford to expand humanity out into space?

Offline Rik ISS-fan

• the Netherlands
« Reply #48 on: 10/30/2017 09:57 pm »
Some specific questions I have, to improve the document:
- Does someone know at which Locker position in Express Rack 6 the (malfunctioning) TangoLab2 was placed?
'PIM' locker = Programmable Isolation Mount; also known as: Controlled Dynamics Locker (CDL).
- What went up and down with SpX-11 & SpX-12 (I know a lot was Rodent Research that goes up and down).
  I know SABL-3 went up and -1 went down, because it had a error.

Errors now:
Ex-6 L8 CUCU-spare has been removed October 27th.
Location of TangoLab-2 in Express rack 6.
SAMS-II drawer was removed from EX-5 (I had missed it was placed into there, will most likely return to EX-2 or EX-7(Active vibration Isolated racks).

Large internal changes will come with HTV-8, I expect several (at lest two) ISPR racks. Each SpaceX mission goes along with a change externally. I think I've SpX-13 & -14 already covered, but the manifest could have changed.

A note: I think the class 3 payloads, aka, nanoracks experiments and other sub locker experiments; are to small and to numerous to follow. The purpose of the document is to make a more visual representation of the current experiment facilities on the ISS.
I did't make a decision jet if I would show the payloads on MUSES and MISSE-FF. (4 and 14).
I could use some help tracking all changes.
« Last Edit: 11/01/2017 11:37 am by Rik ISS-fan »

Offline deruch

• California
  • Liked: 2006
  • Likes Given: 5634
« Reply #49 on: 11/04/2017 05:08 pm »
Cross-post from Expedition 53 thread:
Rack Swap in US Lab:  The crew swapped the Zero-G Stowage Rack (ZSR) in the LAB1O5 location with the Crew Health Care System (CheCS) Rack in the LAB1D4 location.  This swap was in preparation for a new Water Storage System (WSS) to be built into the ZSR later next year.  During the swap, the CheCS Rack needed to be temporarily moved to Node 1.  A Hatch Seal inspection was performed for the Node 1 Forward and the Lab Aft hatches following the transfer the activities. The Hatch Seal inspections are required to verify no damage following the transfer of the CHeCS rack through these hatches to perform the rack swap.
Shouldn't reality posts be in "Advanced concepts"?  --Nomadd

Offline deruch

• California
« Reply #50 on: 12/13/2017 01:24 am »
Picture of Kibo rack usage from the JAXA press kit for Kanai's mission to ISS (Expedition 54/55; launch on MS-07).  Not sure on how "up-to-date" this is though, as I don't speak Japanese.

http://forum.nasaspaceflight.com/index.php?topic=40619.msg1757515#msg1757515
« Last Edit: 12/13/2017 01:26 am by deruch »

Offline Rik ISS-fan

• the Netherlands
« Reply #51 on: 12/15/2017 11:23 am »
Interesting Nasa blog about LSG and the new refrigorator-Freezer rack.
LSG (Live Science Glovebox) will be build into a ZSR (Zero-gravity Stowage Rack), in Kibo.
WSS (Water Stowage System) will be build into the ZSR that was moved to LAB D4.
LSG, WSS and ACLS will launch on HTV-7. Most likely also the Refrigirator-Freezer rack (?MELFI or other?) will launch on HTV-7.

I got a PM that a new ISS FPIP document was posted on L2, unfortunatly I don't have acces (jet). Please if allowed share the info in the ISS FPIP document.
I guess the malfunctioning MELFI could be deorbited with HTV-7, and possibly several RSP's (Resupply Stowage Platforms.)
Please, if you have info on the Refrigirator-Freezer Rack, share it. I could only find a document from 2002, Crew Refrigerator Freezer Rack, Astrium. [pdf link] I think they are MELFI's.
But I've also read about a Rapid Freezer for the ISS.

I think the LSG (Live Science Glovebox will be placed into the ZSR117 at KIBO/JPM F6 or ZSR31 at JPM A5.
Or JPM D3 the HDP405 and replacement of MELFI-1. (Looking at deruch's post)

In BEAM M1 and M3 bags have been mounted to the guidance post to create stowage space. I still have to add that in the excel. I'll post a update when I got more info. (topology after HTV-7)
« Last Edit: 12/15/2017 11:30 am by Rik ISS-fan »

Offline deruch

• California
« Reply #52 on: 01/30/2018 10:25 pm »
ISS Daily Summary Report – 1/29/2018

Permanent Multipurpose Module (PMM) rack moves:  In order to increase efficiency in the PMM, today the crew moved several stowage racks inside the PMM.  The crew moved a Zero-G Stowage Rack (ZSR) and Resupply Stowage Platform (RSP), allowing easier accessibility to the stowage in these racks.

Offline Rik ISS-fan

• the Netherlands
« Reply #53 on: 02/02/2018 03:53 pm »
I think ICE Cubes, the European version of a cubelab experiment facility, will be placed in EPM (European Physological Module). Currently there is a stowage drawer in the right lower side, most likely it will replace that locker or will be inserted in there. I came to this conclusion from this image and this youtube video.

ICE Cubes will become the third company offering a facility for cubelab payloads.
The other two are Nanoracks (with three facilities) and SpaceTango (with two facilities)

Edit to add:
I found confirmation of my thought. In this ICF (ICE Cubes Facility) document
« Last Edit: 02/02/2018 05:51 pm by Rik ISS-fan »

Offline mmonty

• Liked: 90
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #54 on: 07/27/2018 03:50 pm »
HTV-7 will also bring 6x Li-Ion batteries to the ISS as replacement for 12 old ones.
I wonder where they plan to place the HTV ULC (Unpressurised Logistics Carrier).

ULC will be temp stowed on the POA like it was for HTV-6 for the battery swap.

Offline jcm

• Jonathan McDowell
  • Somerville, Massachusetts, USA
    • Jonathan's Space Report
  • Liked: 1278
  • Likes Given: 773
« Reply #55 on: 08/09/2018 10:11 pm »
-----------------------------

Jonathan McDowell
http://planet4589.org

Offline jscott1

• Liked: 4
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #56 on: 03/07/2019 07:47 pm »
I'm finding it interesting there are rack topology enthusiasts that do this for fun.  From 1994 to 2002 it was my team's full time job doing this (VIPER).  First it was just me and eventually they created an entire organization to manage cargo and stowage.  Most of the terminology you see here we created that from scratch.  If there are any questions about why things were done the way they were in the past I probably know why.  I haven't kept up with the current configuration, too busy building spacesuits. 

Cheers.

Jonathan Miller

Offline jcm

• Jonathan McDowell
  • Somerville, Massachusetts, USA
    • Jonathan's Space Report
  • Liked: 1278
  • Likes Given: 773
« Reply #57 on: 03/08/2019 02:55 am »
I'm finding it interesting there are rack topology enthusiasts that do this for fun.  From 1994 to 2002 it was my team's full time job doing this (VIPER).  First it was just me and eventually they created an entire organization to manage cargo and stowage.  Most of the terminology you see here we created that from scratch.  If there are any questions about why things were done the way they were in the past I probably know why.  I haven't kept up with the current configuration, too busy building spacesuits. 

Cheers.

Jonathan Miller

Awesome!
I'm fascinated by reuse of various components in the system, like various RSRs and RSPs that
flew up and down to ISS multiple times on MPLM etc.   As an outsider, tracking serial numbers and SE numbers is a bit
of a challenge, especially alas in the post 2002 timeframe that you can't help with...
part of my bigger effort to reconstruct ISS mass versus time on a per-module basis, which is a hopeless
goal never to be achieved.
-----------------------------

Jonathan McDowell
http://planet4589.org

Offline alexaltair

• Liked: 12
  • Likes Given: 3
« Reply #58 on: 08/14/2019 12:26 am »
Hi Rik ISS-fan, I wanted to give you more encouragement by saying that I was thrilled to find these rack maps! I'm building some ISS hardware replicas, and I wanted to know exactly what every rack in the US lab was for. This thread was by far the best resource for answering that question.

Offline russianhalo117

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 4660
  • Likes Given: 768
« Reply #59 on: 11/11/2019 07:23 pm »
ISS Daily Status report 10/21/2019 link
Resupply Stowage Rack (RSR) Transfer to HII Transfer Vehicle (HTV)8: Today, the crew continued with HTV8 cargo transfer operations and transferred the first of three racks that will be disposed with HTV8 at the completion of its mission. This week the crew will continue to focus on HTV8 cargo operations in preparation for HTV8 close out and departure late next week.

Today’s Planned Activities:
Structures and Mechanisms PMM1O1 Resupply Stowage Rack Transfer

ISS Daily Status report 10/23/2019 link
HII Transfer Vehicle (HTV)-8 Cargo Operations and ISS Outfitting: This week, the crew will continue to focus on HTV8 cargo operations in preparation for HTV8 close out and departure late next week.  This included performing a stowage rack swap that moved two Resupply Stowage Platforms (RSP) and a Resupply Stowage Rack (RSR) from the ISS Permanent Multipurpose Module (PMM) to the HTV vehicle in exchange for the installation of two Zero-G Stowage Racks (ZSR) shells in the PMM.  This reconfiguration of the PMM will increase overall stowage capacity and volume efficiency in the PMM than the previous configuration.

Node 1 Galley Rack:  Early yesterday morning, the Node 1 Galley Rack experienced an electrical power overcurrent event.  Therefore, due to issues with the Node 1 Galley Rack power draw, ground teams worked with the crew to relocate the Potable Water Dispenser (PWD) from the Node 1 Galley Rack to Express Rack 8 in the US Lab.  In addition, the crew’s food warmer was moved from the Russian Segment to Node 1.  While ground teams continue to troubleshoot the Node 1 Galley Rack overcurrent event, the relocations allow the crew to keep using the PWD and the food warmer.

Structures and Mechanisms Permanent Multipurpose Module Deck 2 Zero-G Stowage Rack Installation.
Structures and Mechanisms Permanent Multipurpose Module Starboard 2 Resupply Stowage Platform Transfer.

ISS Daily Status report 10/24/2019: Link
Look Ahead: Friday, 10/25 (GMT 298)
S&M PMM1S2 ZSR Install
Mass Measurement Device Hardware Setup in Support of VEG-04B

ISS Daily Status report 10/28/2019: link
HTV8 Unberth/ISS Outfitting: In preparation for the HTV8 Unberth on November 1, the crew completed the transfer of the final Resupply Stowage Platform (RSP) Rack from the Permanent Multipurpose Module (PMM) Starboard 3 location to HTV8S2 aisle-way location.  Resupply Stowage Platforms (RSP) removed from the PMM and replaced with new stowage racks will enable improved stowage efficiency.

So now we know where the RSR and two RSP's came from and where the two ZSR's went to. The new current topology.
I'm uncertain if mares is still stowed inside PMM of if it has been deorbited.

Edit to add: I've also made a pole for the frequency the topology has to be updated.
Add EFU-13 on JLP. 2 additional EFU's can be installed on JLP.

Tags:

Advertisement NovaTech
Advertisement Northrop Grumman
Advertisement
Advertisement Margaritaville Beach Resort South Padre Island
Advertisement Brady Kenniston
Advertisement NextSpaceflight
Advertisement Nathan Barker Photography