Poll

How often do you want an ISS Topology update?

Once a year
0 (0%)
When racks are relocated
1 (33.3%)
For each crew increment (rack location only)
1 (33.3%)
For each crew increment (rack locations & Drawers / Lockers)
0 (0%)
For each cargo visiting vehicle (Rack location & Drawers / Lockers)
1 (33.3%)

Total Members Voted: 3

Voting closed: 11/30/2019 04:49 pm

Author Topic: ISS Rack configurations  (Read 67550 times)

Offline Danderman

• Extreme Veteran
  • Liked: 698
  • Likes Given: 723
Re: ISS Rack configurations
« Reply #20 on: 10/20/2010 10:47 pm »
I ran across this document:

http://www.nasa.gov/pdf/393789main_iss_utilization_brochure.pdf

that has loads of data on ISS science hardware, hopefully it hasn't been posted here too many times.

Offline Rik ISS-fan

• the Netherlands
  • Liked: 612
  • Likes Given: 211
« Reply #21 on: 10/21/2010 12:12 am »
I've changed the drawings, They are atatched to the first reply on this page.

I can´t get think I undertend why Nasa places ER-8 in the Lab instead of in JPM, dispite the fact that LAB is more filled than JPM.
I thought nasa has the right for 5 rack locations in JPM, but they are already using all of them. When the ZSR-rack doesn't belong to the 5 Nasa-scienceracks in JPM, then it does't make sence to me.

I als found out what is going In COL F2 (MSG's old place), In ESA's Bulitin from August Esa presents their ideas for reducing costs relating to the ISS-life-extention. On Page 16 to 20 of the document ESA shows their plans for an Advanced Closed Loop System (ACLS) Rack, this rack will regenerate oxygen from CO2 (somewhat like Sabatier). Their is a Technical MoU (agreement) signed by ESA and Nasa. It will be placed in Columbus in one of Nasa's Active rack positions.

So the two reasons why MSG is moved From COL F2 to LAB P2 are:
 - More operational time (because there is no interfirence with MARES)
 - Make place fore Esa's ACLS system rack (to be delivered to the ISS by an HTV)

Offline Space Pete

« Reply #22 on: 10/21/2010 12:52 am »
A description of PMM rack configurations is in my HTV-2 article:
www.nasaspaceflight.com/2010/10/iss-prepares-busy-upcoming-year-logistics-operations

The PMM will accommodate eight racks in total – four Zero-G Stowage Racks (ZSRs) and four Resupply Stowage Racks (RSRs).

Each set of four racks will be arranged in a circumferential fashion around the module. Eight rack bays will be left unoccupied, able to be filled by “soft stowage” such as Cargo Transfer Bags (CTBs). This extra stowage space will greatly increase the amount of stowage that can be accommodated on ISS in the post-Shuttle era, without occupying any space in the laboratory modules.
NASASpaceflight ISS Editor

Offline robertross

• Canadian Member
  • Westphal, Nova Scotia
  • Liked: 659
  • Likes Given: 7680
« Reply #23 on: 10/21/2010 01:10 am »

I als found out what is going In COL F2 (MSG's old place), In ESA's Bulitin from August Esa presents their ideas for reducing costs relating to the ISS-life-extention. On Page 16 to 20 of the document ESA shows their plans for an Advanced Closed Loop System (ACLS) Rack, this rack will regenerate oxygen from CO2 (somewhat like Sabatier). Their is a Technical MoU (agreement) signed by ESA and Nasa. It will be placed in Columbus in one of Nasa's Active rack positions.

Nothing wrong with backup systems :)

But I hope there is a great deal of commonality in parts between it and the US system, but I have my doubts. (Thinking back to a square peg in a round hole problem with Apollo 13 & the CO2 scrubbers).

Offline Rik ISS-fan

• the Netherlands
« Reply #24 on: 10/25/2010 01:17 pm »
www.nasaspaceflight.com/2010/10/iss-prepares-busy-upcoming-year-logistics-operations

The PMM will accommodate eight racks in total – four Zero-G Stowage Racks (ZSRs) and four Resupply Stowage Racks (RSRs).

Each set of four racks will be arranged in a circumferential fashion around the module. Eight rack bays will be left unoccupied, able to be filled by “soft stowage” such as Cargo Transfer Bags (CTBs). This extra stowage space will greatly increase the amount of stowage that can be accommodated on ISS in the post-Shuttle era, without occupying any space in the laboratory modules.

I've added this to the topology's.
In the STS133 mission overview breefing nasa showed the Rack-topology of PMM inside the shuttles payload-bay, and via the PMM burthing simulation (also showed during the presentation) I figured out that PMM would be turned 90 deg. clockwise around the z-axis and than berthed to node1 (Unity). And last, I made the on orbit configuration of PMM docked to the ISS.

During or shortly after STS-133 the cruemembers will move ER-8 (Expr-8) to LAB P(ort) 4, and they will configure R2D2 (robonaut) in the  LAB as Space Pete told explained several replies back.
« Last Edit: 10/25/2010 04:19 pm by Rik ISS-fan »

Offline Space Pete

« Reply #25 on: 10/25/2010 01:29 pm »

I've added this to the topology's.
In the STS133 mission overview breefing nasa showed the Rack-topology of PMM inside the shuttles payload-bay, and via the PMM burthing simulation (also showed during the presentation) I figured out that PMM would be turned 90 deg. clockwise around the z-axis and than berthed to node1 (Unity). And last, I made the on orbit configuration of PMM docked to the ISS.

During or shortly after STS-133 the cruemembers will move ER-8 (Expr-8) to LAB P(ort) 4, and they will configure R2D2 (robonaut) in the  LAB as Space Pete told explained several replies back.

Thank you! :)

Once berthed to the ISS, PMM PORT will face ISS FWD.

Also, there was a mistake in the NASA payload overview briefing. The ISPRs in the PMM are in fact ISPs (Integrated Stowage Platforms).

Offline Rik ISS-fan

• the Netherlands
« Reply #26 on: 04/09/2011 12:40 am »
I've been very buzzy for a while, so I couldn't follow everything going on at the ISS. I want to know what rack transfers have happened since the beginning of this year, so I can update my drawings.

I've heard about the folowing transfers:
- Melfi 2 and 3 have been swapped because unit 2 had a power failure
HTV-2
- Kobairo has been positioned at JPM F(orward)3
- MPSR ha been positioned at JPM A(ft)4
- ZSR 118 relocated from Lab P1 to COL F2 
STS-133: Addition of PMM.
- EXPR-8 relocated to Lab P4
- R2 (D2) ;) positioned at Lab P1
- 2x RSP from PMM ? & ? to HTV-2 A1 & F1
  2x ISRP form PMM ? & ? to (folded) HTV-2
- 2x ZSR deploy in PMM
- ZSR's relocation to PMM ??

what is the current config of the PMM?
Thanks in advance for the help

Offline Space Pete

« Reply #27 on: 04/09/2011 01:42 pm »
Hi Rik,

There were so many rack relocations during STS-133 that I can't recall them all here.

However, what I have done - and I hope you don't mind - is update your drawing myself. I only changed a few things here & there - your hard work made it all possible. :)

Attached is the current config of ISS racks.

Offline Rik ISS-fan

• the Netherlands
« Reply #28 on: 04/16/2011 03:32 pm »
I've changed and added some topology's
I'm not sure if the PMM layout is correct.

I've also atteched the building file I use to make the topology's, so others can modify the drawings. But be sure the changes u make are correct!! please.

Offline Space Pete

« Reply #29 on: 04/16/2011 03:38 pm »

I've also atteched the building file I use to make the topology's, so others can modify the drawings. But be sure the changes u make are correct!! please.

The current config is good! As for the assembly complete config, I don't know whether the TCS rack is still planned for the JPM - I think all TCS components are already present in the JPM. Also, the post STS-133 config should include Kobairo and the MSPR, since they were installed prior to STS-133. ;)
« Last Edit: 04/16/2011 03:39 pm by Space Pete »

Offline Rik ISS-fan

• the Netherlands
« Reply #30 on: 04/16/2011 04:17 pm »

The current config is good! As for the assembly complete config, I don't know whether the TCS rack is still planned for the JPM - I think all TCS components are already present in the JPM. Also, the post STS-133 config should include Kobairo and the MSPR, since they were installed prior to STS-133. ;)
I didn't change the post STS-133 topology, so it's the config as the STS mission would have happened on time, so in October 2010 not february this year. I will change both the post STS-133 and the after HTV2 configs.

Offline jcm

• Jonathan McDowell
  • Somerville, Massachusetts, USA
    • Jonathan's Space Report
  • Liked: 1278
  • Likes Given: 773
« Reply #31 on: 04/23/2011 10:12 pm »
This is a really great resource, thanks for putting it together. Hope we can fill in some of the missing SE numbers!
-----------------------------

Jonathan McDowell
http://planet4589.org

Offline jcm

• Jonathan McDowell
  • Somerville, Massachusetts, USA
    • Jonathan's Space Report
  • Liked: 1278
  • Likes Given: 773
« Reply #32 on: 04/25/2011 03:03 am »
This is a really great resource, thanks for putting it together. Hope we can fill in some of the missing SE numbers!

OK,  inspired by Rik's great work I have put together a list of Rack
launch dates and relocations, as best I can figure them out. I'm sure
the experts here will suggest corrections and improvements.

-----------------------------

Jonathan McDowell
http://planet4589.org

Offline Space Pete

« Reply #33 on: 04/03/2013 04:59 pm »
Announcing my own up-to-date ISS rack topology diagram! :)

Thanks to Rik for his original work that made this possible.
« Last Edit: 04/05/2013 03:36 pm by Space Pete »

Offline brahmanknight

• I don't have all the right answers, but I do have all the right questions
  • Liked: 17
  • Likes Given: 168
« Reply #34 on: 04/03/2013 05:09 pm »
I was just wondering yesterday if there was an up to date rack config doc out.

'preciate it, Pete.

Offline Space Pete

« Reply #35 on: 04/05/2013 03:38 pm »
And a slightly updated version (two ZSRs in JLP moved from STBD to PORT). Thanks to Fuji for pointing this out. Old version has been removed.

In response to a question, the last published (i.e. by NASA) rack topology diagram I am aware of is in the Expedition 23/24 press kit - since then NASA have not published any (to my knowledge).
« Last Edit: 10/01/2015 02:10 am by Space Pete »

Offline AnalogMan

• Cambridge, UK
  • Liked: 1597
  • Likes Given: 50
« Reply #36 on: 04/05/2013 05:05 pm »
[...]
In response to a question, the last published (i.e. by NASA) rack topology diagram I am aware of is in the Expedition 23/24 press kit - since then NASA have not published any (to my knowledge).

Last ISS rack configuration that I saw was in this 45-page presentation titled ISS Utilization Status and Plans to the NASA Advisory Council (NAS) on March 1, 2013:

http://www.nasa.gov/pdf/731639main_NACCSC_Montalbano_2013-03_508.pdf

But I'll bet that your information is more up to date  :)

Offline Fuji

• Japan
  • Liked: 234
  • Likes Given: 14
« Reply #37 on: 04/11/2013 06:19 am »
Here is another "New" good material.
Including EXPRESS Rack configuration and MRM1 internal reserch rocations ;)

"International Space Station Facilities Research in Space 2013 and Beyond"
April 10, 2013.
http://www.nasa.gov/pdf/739318main_ISS%20Utilization%20Brochure%202012%20Screenres%203-8-13.pdf

Offline Danderman

• Extreme Veteran
  • Liked: 698
  • Likes Given: 723
« Reply #38 on: 12/21/2013 02:38 pm »

Offline Space Pete

« Reply #39 on: 09/18/2015 12:21 pm »
So I'm working on an updated rack topology diagram following the HTV-5 rack transfers.

Changes to the most recent topology diagram (posted below) are as follows:

. MSPR-2 to JPM1F2
. Galley rack to NOD1P4

The ZSR that was previously located at NOD1P4 I presume has now gone to the PMM, but I don't know to which bay. Also at least one RSP has been removed from the PMM for disposal via HTV, but again I don't know which bay it came from. As such I now have no idea as to the rack configuration of the PMM, so I may have to omit it from a future topology diagram.

Is anyone else aware of any other changes in rack topology since the last diagram that are not listed above?
« Last Edit: 09/18/2015 12:25 pm by Space Pete »

Tags:

Advertisement NovaTech
Advertisement Northrop Grumman
Advertisement
Advertisement Margaritaville Beach Resort South Padre Island
Advertisement Brady Kenniston
Advertisement NextSpaceflight
Advertisement Nathan Barker Photography