Poll

How often do you want an ISS Topology update?

Once a year
0 (0%)
When racks are relocated
1 (33.3%)
For each crew increment (rack location only)
1 (33.3%)
For each crew increment (rack locations & Drawers / Lockers)
0 (0%)
For each cargo visiting vehicle (Rack location & Drawers / Lockers)
1 (33.3%)

Total Members Voted: 3

Voting closed: 11/30/2019 04:49 pm

Author Topic: ISS Rack configurations  (Read 67551 times)

Offline Rik ISS-fan

• the Netherlands
  • Liked: 612
  • Likes Given: 211
ISS Rack configurations
« on: 04/25/2010 09:08 pm »
A few weeks ago I read the Expedition 23 and 24 press kit. And I noticed that the ISS Rack topology had not been updated. I've drawn ISS Rack tropology's on paper for a wile now, and I decided to make them in paint.

My topologies are based on the NASA ISS Increment Definition and Requirements Document (the last one I could find was for increment 19 and 20), outer agency documents that show rack topology's,  information about the mission content of shuttle missions, and of course information from this site.

I've read this forum for some years now, and I haven't seen forum about were all the different ISPR's are located. So I thought it would be nice to add an topic dedicated to this.

The main purpose for this topic is to make clear were al te differed rack Facilities are located, and what changes over time. I think that An image can make this fare more clear than words so I've added my topology's.

The transfer of the RWS from Lab Starboard 5 to cupola,
The T2(Colbert) transfer from node 2 deck5 to node3 forward5, the addition of Crew Quarter 2 to Node 2 overhead 5 and the future transfer of CQ-3 from JPM (Kibo) Deck3 to Harmony (node2) deck 5. Are all appropriate to be named here.

(sorry for my grammatical mistakes, when I've made one, I'm not an native English speaker)

Edit October 2021:
I've removed my topology maps from NASAspaceflight, most likely I'll add them to Wikipedia.
Let's explain why in this post (that most probably will be removed).
In my opinion NASAspaceflight has not been a pleasant forum to participate; for two reasons.
1) I've experienced many times that posts were removed, without getting a reason from the moderator.
2) Many users of the forum have negative sentiment towards non-reusable rockets, or everything other than SpaceX.

Last Friday I wrote a long informative post in the Ariane 6 discussion topic. Saturday that post was gone. Most likely the reason it was removed was roughly the following remark: (String appears to be a hobby of the French).
Someone replied to it that he didn't like that remark, and probably reported it later.
The moderator could have removed the comment, because it was a side comment in my long informative post. But instead the whole post was removed. Along with the post with the complaint. Without explanation PM so I couldn't learn from my mistake, to prevent it happening again.
I've reported to the moderating team that I didn't like that they removed the post. Without explaining why. But I didn't get a reply from them.
Saturday I've witten a reply in the Ariane 6 discussion topic again, that was on topic. Already for years I don't share information on NSF because you'll get a lot of negative replies. And you have the chance that you're post is removed. Thus possibly updates about Ariane6 qualification aren't shared.
I was upset so wrote it more negative than here. So I reported it myself to the moderating team.
It didn't surprise me that that post was removed. That made me decide to remove a lot of my posts from NSF.
Sorry, I don't see the point any longer writing a post on NSF, because it's very likely to be removed.
I'll search for another forum or media to share the info I find and discuss space related stuff.
I'm very sure the practice of very easily removing a post has scared more users away. I'm another that can be added to that list.
« Last Edit: 10/12/2021 12:22 am by Rik ISS-fan »

Offline Space Pete

Re: ISS Rack configurations
« Reply #1 on: 04/25/2010 10:15 pm »
AWESOME! ;D

Thank you very much!

There's also this interactive feature that shows ISS rack configurations in Destiny, Columbus & the JPM (although it’s a little outdated).
www.nasa.gov/externalflash/lab_racks/labs.html
« Last Edit: 04/25/2010 10:18 pm by Space Pete »
NASASpaceflight ISS Editor

Offline Jim

• Night Gator
  • Cape Canaveral Spaceport
  • Liked: 21448
  • Likes Given: 428
« Reply #2 on: 04/25/2010 10:29 pm »
There is a final topology on L2, I just can't find it.

Offline Rik ISS-fan

• the Netherlands
« Reply #3 on: 04/25/2010 11:12 pm »
Pete i'm familiar with that interactive fiture on nasa's site, and indeed  it's nice. But the basis for this fiture is prity old. For years you could find this fiture on the Iss secton under construction and US lab, but it was only dedicated to the lab than. A few months ago they have updated it, and I don't acspact any updates in it for years. So i think my litle image will be more accurate.

Jim, I've made these tropology's so averyone can get an idea how the interior of the ISS will look like in the future. So that knoledge is also aveable for people who havn't got a subscription for L2. I already acspacted the existence of these kind of documents on L2. But thanks for letting me know they really exist. I would like to have it so i can make my final topology more acurate.

I've kept some racks like Express rack 8 /to come up by HTV together with Kabairo\ out of my topology becouse i've only read once about them.

I really mis the NASA Increment definition and Requirement Documents , because they showed very precisely what the content of a shuttle mission was. I tought too have read someting about two ZSR being brought up by STS-131. Can any one confirm this?
And hav they gone to lab Deck and Port 4, or somewere else???
Beforhand thanks for the ansers!
« Last Edit: 04/25/2010 11:37 pm by Rik ISS-fan »

Offline Space Pete

« Reply #4 on: 04/26/2010 01:00 am »
I tought too have read someting about two ZSR being brought up by STS-131. Can any one confirm this?

Yes, two ZSRs were brought up on STS-131 - one went to JLP1A1 and the other went to LAB1P4.

As I understand it, ZSRs are mounted over the top of other racks using standard ISS seat track (but I'm not 100% sure). So you might need to show 2 racks in 1 bay on your plan. ;)
« Last Edit: 04/26/2010 03:22 pm by Space Pete »

Offline Jim

• Night Gator
  • Cape Canaveral Spaceport
  • Liked: 21448
  • Likes Given: 428
« Reply #5 on: 04/26/2010 01:20 am »
Yes, two ZSRs were brought up on STS-131 - one went to JLP1A1 and the other went to LAB1P4.

As I understand it, ZSRs are mounted over the top of other racks using standard ISS seat track (but I'm not 100% sure). So you might need to show 2 racks in 1 bay on your plan. ;)

ZSR take the place of racks, they are not on the front of racks.

Offline Danderman

• Extreme Veteran
  • Liked: 698
  • Likes Given: 723
« Reply #6 on: 04/26/2010 01:31 am »
I tought too have read someting about two ZSR being brought up by STS-131. Can any one confirm this?

Google is your friend.

Step 1: Use the Google to find "STS-131 presskit"

Step 2: Download the pdf.

Step 3: Search the document for "ZSR".

Offline arkaska

• Sweden
  • Liked: 1
  • Likes Given: 4
« Reply #7 on: 04/26/2010 02:43 pm »

Pete I think you confused it with their launch configuration. They are launched folded up and placed in front of another rack in the MPLM but in that configuration they can't support any storage and they are folded into the onn-orbit configuration once installed in ISS. There was a operations check-list for this in one of the flight data files for STS-131.

Offline Rik ISS-fan

• the Netherlands
« Reply #8 on: 04/26/2010 03:08 pm »
I've updatet the tropology's. becouse there was a ZSR (Zero-G Storage Rack) missing.

Before STS/131tere was a ZSR in JPM (Kibo) A(ft)1 assigned with Rack No. 31 I thought they relocated it to JLP A1, but Pete posted that one of the ZSR's brought up by STS-131 has been put there. Does somebody know with ZSR has been placed at JLP A1, and where the outer rack as been placed??   

I think Lab S(tarboard)1, or D(eck)4 might be the location, or maby JPM D3 (CQ-3's old location) or A4 /5 or F(orward) 2 /3
« Last Edit: 04/26/2010 03:13 pm by Rik ISS-fan »

Offline Space Pete

« Reply #9 on: 04/26/2010 04:00 pm »

Pete I think you confused it with their launch configuration. They are launched folded up and placed in front of another rack in the MPLM but in that configuration they can't support any storage and they are folded into the onn-orbit configuration once installed in ISS. There was a operations check-list for this in one of the flight data files for STS-131.

Ah, thanks! :)

I got confused when I saw these photos:
http://mediaarchive.ksc.nasa.gov/imageviewer.cfm?mediaid=45636&mr=m&w=756&h=519&fn=2010-1770
(You can see two ZSRs installed over the top of other racks in the right hand side of the photo below.)
http://mediaarchive.ksc.nasa.gov/imageviewer.cfm?mediaid=45649&mr=m&w=756&h=517&fn=2010-1802

But I understand now - they fold out into full racks, as shown in these photos:
www.spaceflight.nasa.gov/gallery/images/shuttle/sts-98/hires/s98e5250.jpg
www.spaceflight.nasa.gov/gallery/images/station/crew-17/hires/iss017e018973.jpg
« Last Edit: 04/26/2010 04:14 pm by Space Pete »

Online brahmanknight

• I don't have all the right answers, but I do have all the right questions
  • Liked: 17
  • Likes Given: 168
« Reply #10 on: 04/28/2010 12:55 am »
Is there any similar layout document for Zvesda/Zaryz/Pirs/PoisK?  I know it doesn't have racks like the US side, but maybe something showing where experiments are currently?

Offline Danderman

• Extreme Veteran
« Reply #11 on: 04/28/2010 03:59 am »
Is there any similar layout document for Zvesda/Zaryz/Pirs/PoisK?  I know it doesn't have racks like the US side, but maybe something showing where experiments are currently?

The FGB and Service Module have a different rack system (these are hidden behind covers and make up the 4 planes of the interior). Some of the racks are system racks for things like batteries, some are stowage racks, and there is some active science equipment in some areas. I am unaware of a public document listing all of these rack areas.

Pirs and Poisk, not so much. Their narrow diameter does not provide much volume for a formal rack system, although there is a short area with enclosures near the passive docking cone. The upcoming MRM-1 does have a long stowage area near the passive end, as well, and I know of at least one US rack module that is currently installed there.

Offline sdsds

• “With peace and hope for all mankind.”
  • Seattle
  • Liked: 2039
  • Likes Given: 1962
« Reply #12 on: 07/03/2010 10:38 pm »
For the nodes that include two rings of racks, was there a reason the rings needed to be side by side?  Could the CBMs have been centered between the two rack rings?  (See attached.)
— 𝐬𝐝𝐒𝐝𝐬 —

Offline Rik ISS-fan

• the Netherlands
« Reply #13 on: 09/22/2010 10:10 pm »
I've been away for a while, and they starting to move some racks again.
So I thought that it would be nice when I added a new configuration.

The changes in the last couple of months are:
 - Swap ARS system racks form Node 3 to US LAB and back again.
 - Confugure MAR-ES
 - Move CQ-3 (Crue Quater-3) from JPM D3 (Kibo deck 3) to Node 2 D5

The CHeCS RSR rack is going to be moved fron LAB O5 to Lab D4

For the new drawing, see the PDF-files at the first post.

Offline Space Pete

« Reply #14 on: 09/22/2010 10:14 pm »

The changes in the last couple of months are:
 - Swap ARS system racks form Node 3 to US LAB and back again.
 - Confugure MAR-ES
 - Move CQ-3 (Crue Quater-3) from JPM D3 (Kibo deck 3) to Node 2 D5

The CHeCS RSR rack is going to be moved fron LAB O5 to Lab D4

The ARS rack that was in NOD3A4 was moved to LAB1S1.

The CHeCS RSR was moved from LAB1O5 to LAB1D4 this week.

Thanks for the updated drawings! :)
« Last Edit: 09/22/2010 10:16 pm by Space Pete »

Offline Rik ISS-fan

• the Netherlands
« Reply #15 on: 09/22/2010 10:24 pm »
For the nodes that include two rings of racks, was there a reason the rings needed to be side by side?  Could the CBMs have been centered between the two rack rings?  (See attached.)

ESA considered this idea for an enlarged version of Node3, with would have had 16 instead of 8 rack locations. It would have had two rings of racks beside another on both sides of the CBM's.  This was considerd after the scrubbing of the Habutation module and CAM, but it staid at an idea.

For node 2 & 3 the racks are side by side because they are designed from the MPLMs. I think it would have been more complicated to bild them with one ring of racks on each side.   

Drawings modified april '11
« Last Edit: 04/16/2011 03:19 pm by Rik ISS-fan »

Offline robertross

• Canadian Member
  • Westphal, Nova Scotia
  • Liked: 659
  • Likes Given: 7680
« Reply #16 on: 09/22/2010 11:42 pm »

Thanks!

As a side note, I've been debating whether to tackle the ISS ORU situation, especially when I read they have to replace all the battery ORUs due to reduced lifetimes, but it's so difficult without payload manifests for all the visiting vehicles.

Offline Space Pete

« Reply #17 on: 10/18/2010 09:27 pm »
MSG will be moved from COL1F2 to LAB1S2 on 21/10.

In preparation for this, MELFI-2 was moved from LAB1S2 to LAB1S1 today.

Offline Rik ISS-fan

• the Netherlands
« Reply #18 on: 10/19/2010 12:20 am »

I will change this in the drawings; but does anybody know why they are moving MSG? It doesn't make sence to me, because MSG is located in COL1F2 in all the Topologies i've seen.

As in this Nasa document 
http://www.nasa.gov/pdf/296699main_R.%20Jones.pdf
But in this topology TESS (temp. sleep station) is stil present.

Nasa has posted the expedition 25/26 press documentseveral days ago (finaly). Lots of interesting information in there, assecionaly about HTV-2. There only isn't a rack topology in there :(.

Here I will summerise the things that will change during expeditions 25 and 26.

STS-133: Express-4 (outside ORU/ experiment platform)
- addition PMM module on Node 1 Deck,
- add R2(Robonat) (From what I heared) in front of Lab Starbord 5 (will be placed there later)
- And I think also Expr-8 will be brought up to be placed at JPM A(ft)5.
Outherwise I'll be deliverd by a HTV, Inside it, will be BXF (Boiling Experiment Facility)
Can somebody verify this? It isn't mentioned in the press document.

STS-134 only outside elements and ORU's for the rack's will be delivered.
Express-3 and AMS

HTV-2: Will bring up two US outside experiments for JPM-EF
and for the inside:
 - Kabiro with GHF (Gardient Heating Furnace) JPM F(orwerd) 3
 - MPSR (Multi-Purpose Small payload Rack) JPM A(ft) 4.

I will add the new topology's in a few day's

« Last Edit: 10/19/2010 12:25 am by Rik ISS-fan »

Offline Space Pete

« Reply #19 on: 10/19/2010 12:35 am »

I will change this in the drawings; but does anybody know why they are moving MSG? It doesn't make sence to me, because MSG is located in COL1F2 in all the Topologies i've seen.

As in this Nasa document 
http://www.nasa.gov/pdf/296699main_R.%20Jones.pdf
But in this topology TESS (temp. sleep station) is stil present.

Nasa has posted the expedition 25/26 press documentseveral days ago (finaly). Lots of interesting information in there, assecionaly about HTV-2. There only isn't a rack topology in there :(.

Here I will summerise the things that will change during expeditions 25 and 26.

STS-133: Express-4 (outside ORU/ experiment platform)
- addition PMM module on Node 1 Deck,
- add R2(Robonat) (From what I heared) in front of Lab Starbord 5 (will be placed there later)
- And I think also Expr-8 will be brought up to be placed at JPM A(ft)5.
Inside Expr-8 will be BXF (Boiling Experiment Facility)
Can somebody verify this? It isn't mentioned in the press document.

STS-134 only outside elements and ORU's for the rack's will be delivered.
Express-3 and AMS

HTV-2: Will bring up two US outside experiments for JPM-EF
and for the inside:
 - Kabiro with GHF (Gardient Heating Furnace) JPM F(orwerd) 3
 - MPSR (Multi-Purpose Small payload Rack) JPM A(ft) 4.

I will add the new topology's in a few day's

I think MSG is being moved because it gets in the way of the recently commissioned MARES (i.e., when MSG is deployed, MARES cannot be deployed, and vice-versa).

TeSS was dismantled and returned to Earth on STS-131 in April.

R2 will be stowed in LAB1P1. Its baseplate will mounted via seat track to LAB1D2, and its task board will be mounted via seat track to LAB1P2.

ER-8 will go to LAB1P4.

You are correct on the Kobairo and MSPR rack locations.

Also, CHeCS will now stay at LAB1D4 permanently.
« Last Edit: 10/19/2010 12:35 am by Space Pete »

Offline Danderman

• Extreme Veteran
« Reply #20 on: 10/20/2010 10:47 pm »
I ran across this document:

http://www.nasa.gov/pdf/393789main_iss_utilization_brochure.pdf

that has loads of data on ISS science hardware, hopefully it hasn't been posted here too many times.

Offline Rik ISS-fan

• the Netherlands
« Reply #21 on: 10/21/2010 12:12 am »
I've changed the drawings, They are atatched to the first reply on this page.

I can´t get think I undertend why Nasa places ER-8 in the Lab instead of in JPM, dispite the fact that LAB is more filled than JPM.
I thought nasa has the right for 5 rack locations in JPM, but they are already using all of them. When the ZSR-rack doesn't belong to the 5 Nasa-scienceracks in JPM, then it does't make sence to me.

I als found out what is going In COL F2 (MSG's old place), In ESA's Bulitin from August Esa presents their ideas for reducing costs relating to the ISS-life-extention. On Page 16 to 20 of the document ESA shows their plans for an Advanced Closed Loop System (ACLS) Rack, this rack will regenerate oxygen from CO2 (somewhat like Sabatier). Their is a Technical MoU (agreement) signed by ESA and Nasa. It will be placed in Columbus in one of Nasa's Active rack positions.

So the two reasons why MSG is moved From COL F2 to LAB P2 are:
 - More operational time (because there is no interfirence with MARES)
 - Make place fore Esa's ACLS system rack (to be delivered to the ISS by an HTV)

Offline Space Pete

« Reply #22 on: 10/21/2010 12:52 am »
A description of PMM rack configurations is in my HTV-2 article:
www.nasaspaceflight.com/2010/10/iss-prepares-busy-upcoming-year-logistics-operations

The PMM will accommodate eight racks in total – four Zero-G Stowage Racks (ZSRs) and four Resupply Stowage Racks (RSRs).

Each set of four racks will be arranged in a circumferential fashion around the module. Eight rack bays will be left unoccupied, able to be filled by “soft stowage” such as Cargo Transfer Bags (CTBs). This extra stowage space will greatly increase the amount of stowage that can be accommodated on ISS in the post-Shuttle era, without occupying any space in the laboratory modules.

Offline robertross

• Canadian Member
  • Westphal, Nova Scotia
  • Liked: 659
  • Likes Given: 7680
« Reply #23 on: 10/21/2010 01:10 am »

I als found out what is going In COL F2 (MSG's old place), In ESA's Bulitin from August Esa presents their ideas for reducing costs relating to the ISS-life-extention. On Page 16 to 20 of the document ESA shows their plans for an Advanced Closed Loop System (ACLS) Rack, this rack will regenerate oxygen from CO2 (somewhat like Sabatier). Their is a Technical MoU (agreement) signed by ESA and Nasa. It will be placed in Columbus in one of Nasa's Active rack positions.

Nothing wrong with backup systems :)

But I hope there is a great deal of commonality in parts between it and the US system, but I have my doubts. (Thinking back to a square peg in a round hole problem with Apollo 13 & the CO2 scrubbers).

Offline Rik ISS-fan

• the Netherlands
« Reply #24 on: 10/25/2010 01:17 pm »
www.nasaspaceflight.com/2010/10/iss-prepares-busy-upcoming-year-logistics-operations

The PMM will accommodate eight racks in total – four Zero-G Stowage Racks (ZSRs) and four Resupply Stowage Racks (RSRs).

Each set of four racks will be arranged in a circumferential fashion around the module. Eight rack bays will be left unoccupied, able to be filled by “soft stowage” such as Cargo Transfer Bags (CTBs). This extra stowage space will greatly increase the amount of stowage that can be accommodated on ISS in the post-Shuttle era, without occupying any space in the laboratory modules.

I've added this to the topology's.
In the STS133 mission overview breefing nasa showed the Rack-topology of PMM inside the shuttles payload-bay, and via the PMM burthing simulation (also showed during the presentation) I figured out that PMM would be turned 90 deg. clockwise around the z-axis and than berthed to node1 (Unity). And last, I made the on orbit configuration of PMM docked to the ISS.

During or shortly after STS-133 the cruemembers will move ER-8 (Expr-8) to LAB P(ort) 4, and they will configure R2D2 (robonaut) in the  LAB as Space Pete told explained several replies back.
« Last Edit: 10/25/2010 04:19 pm by Rik ISS-fan »

Offline Space Pete

« Reply #25 on: 10/25/2010 01:29 pm »

I've added this to the topology's.
In the STS133 mission overview breefing nasa showed the Rack-topology of PMM inside the shuttles payload-bay, and via the PMM burthing simulation (also showed during the presentation) I figured out that PMM would be turned 90 deg. clockwise around the z-axis and than berthed to node1 (Unity). And last, I made the on orbit configuration of PMM docked to the ISS.

During or shortly after STS-133 the cruemembers will move ER-8 (Expr-8) to LAB P(ort) 4, and they will configure R2D2 (robonaut) in the  LAB as Space Pete told explained several replies back.

Thank you! :)

Once berthed to the ISS, PMM PORT will face ISS FWD.

Also, there was a mistake in the NASA payload overview briefing. The ISPRs in the PMM are in fact ISPs (Integrated Stowage Platforms).

Offline Rik ISS-fan

• the Netherlands
« Reply #26 on: 04/09/2011 12:40 am »
I've been very buzzy for a while, so I couldn't follow everything going on at the ISS. I want to know what rack transfers have happened since the beginning of this year, so I can update my drawings.

I've heard about the folowing transfers:
- Melfi 2 and 3 have been swapped because unit 2 had a power failure
HTV-2
- Kobairo has been positioned at JPM F(orward)3
- MPSR ha been positioned at JPM A(ft)4
- ZSR 118 relocated from Lab P1 to COL F2 
STS-133: Addition of PMM.
- EXPR-8 relocated to Lab P4
- R2 (D2) ;) positioned at Lab P1
- 2x RSP from PMM ? & ? to HTV-2 A1 & F1
  2x ISRP form PMM ? & ? to (folded) HTV-2
- 2x ZSR deploy in PMM
- ZSR's relocation to PMM ??

what is the current config of the PMM?
Thanks in advance for the help

Offline Space Pete

« Reply #27 on: 04/09/2011 01:42 pm »
Hi Rik,

There were so many rack relocations during STS-133 that I can't recall them all here.

However, what I have done - and I hope you don't mind - is update your drawing myself. I only changed a few things here & there - your hard work made it all possible. :)

Attached is the current config of ISS racks.

Offline Rik ISS-fan

• the Netherlands
« Reply #28 on: 04/16/2011 03:32 pm »
I've changed and added some topology's
I'm not sure if the PMM layout is correct.

I've also atteched the building file I use to make the topology's, so others can modify the drawings. But be sure the changes u make are correct!! please.

Offline Space Pete

« Reply #29 on: 04/16/2011 03:38 pm »

I've also atteched the building file I use to make the topology's, so others can modify the drawings. But be sure the changes u make are correct!! please.

The current config is good! As for the assembly complete config, I don't know whether the TCS rack is still planned for the JPM - I think all TCS components are already present in the JPM. Also, the post STS-133 config should include Kobairo and the MSPR, since they were installed prior to STS-133. ;)
« Last Edit: 04/16/2011 03:39 pm by Space Pete »

Offline Rik ISS-fan

• the Netherlands
« Reply #30 on: 04/16/2011 04:17 pm »

The current config is good! As for the assembly complete config, I don't know whether the TCS rack is still planned for the JPM - I think all TCS components are already present in the JPM. Also, the post STS-133 config should include Kobairo and the MSPR, since they were installed prior to STS-133. ;)
I didn't change the post STS-133 topology, so it's the config as the STS mission would have happened on time, so in October 2010 not february this year. I will change both the post STS-133 and the after HTV2 configs.

Offline jcm

• Jonathan McDowell
  • Somerville, Massachusetts, USA
    • Jonathan's Space Report
  • Liked: 1278
  • Likes Given: 773
« Reply #31 on: 04/23/2011 10:12 pm »
This is a really great resource, thanks for putting it together. Hope we can fill in some of the missing SE numbers!
-----------------------------

Jonathan McDowell
http://planet4589.org

Offline jcm

• Jonathan McDowell
« Reply #32 on: 04/25/2011 03:03 am »
This is a really great resource, thanks for putting it together. Hope we can fill in some of the missing SE numbers!

OK,  inspired by Rik's great work I have put together a list of Rack
launch dates and relocations, as best I can figure them out. I'm sure
the experts here will suggest corrections and improvements.

Jonathan McDowell

Offline Space Pete

« Reply #33 on: 04/03/2013 04:59 pm »
Announcing my own up-to-date ISS rack topology diagram! :)

Thanks to Rik for his original work that made this possible.
« Last Edit: 04/05/2013 03:36 pm by Space Pete »

Online brahmanknight

• I don't have all the right answers, but I do have all the right questions
  • Liked: 17
  • Likes Given: 168
« Reply #34 on: 04/03/2013 05:09 pm »
I was just wondering yesterday if there was an up to date rack config doc out.

'preciate it, Pete.

Offline Space Pete

« Reply #35 on: 04/05/2013 03:38 pm »
And a slightly updated version (two ZSRs in JLP moved from STBD to PORT). Thanks to Fuji for pointing this out. Old version has been removed.

In response to a question, the last published (i.e. by NASA) rack topology diagram I am aware of is in the Expedition 23/24 press kit - since then NASA have not published any (to my knowledge).
« Last Edit: 10/01/2015 02:10 am by Space Pete »

Offline AnalogMan

• Cambridge, UK
  • Liked: 1597
  • Likes Given: 50
« Reply #36 on: 04/05/2013 05:05 pm »
[...]
In response to a question, the last published (i.e. by NASA) rack topology diagram I am aware of is in the Expedition 23/24 press kit - since then NASA have not published any (to my knowledge).

Last ISS rack configuration that I saw was in this 45-page presentation titled ISS Utilization Status and Plans to the NASA Advisory Council (NAS) on March 1, 2013:

http://www.nasa.gov/pdf/731639main_NACCSC_Montalbano_2013-03_508.pdf

But I'll bet that your information is more up to date  :)

Offline Fuji

• Japan
  • Liked: 234
  • Likes Given: 14
« Reply #37 on: 04/11/2013 06:19 am »
Here is another "New" good material.
Including EXPRESS Rack configuration and MRM1 internal reserch rocations ;)

"International Space Station Facilities Research in Space 2013 and Beyond"
April 10, 2013.
http://www.nasa.gov/pdf/739318main_ISS%20Utilization%20Brochure%202012%20Screenres%203-8-13.pdf

Offline Danderman

• Extreme Veteran
« Reply #38 on: 12/21/2013 02:38 pm »

Offline Space Pete

« Reply #39 on: 09/18/2015 12:21 pm »
So I'm working on an updated rack topology diagram following the HTV-5 rack transfers.

Changes to the most recent topology diagram (posted below) are as follows:

. MSPR-2 to JPM1F2
. Galley rack to NOD1P4

The ZSR that was previously located at NOD1P4 I presume has now gone to the PMM, but I don't know to which bay. Also at least one RSP has been removed from the PMM for disposal via HTV, but again I don't know which bay it came from. As such I now have no idea as to the rack configuration of the PMM, so I may have to omit it from a future topology diagram.

Is anyone else aware of any other changes in rack topology since the last diagram that are not listed above?
« Last Edit: 09/18/2015 12:25 pm by Space Pete »

Offline russianhalo117

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 4660
  • Likes Given: 768
« Reply #40 on: 09/18/2015 10:18 pm »
So I'm working on an updated rack topology diagram following the HTV-5 rack transfers.

Changes to the most recent topology diagram (posted below) are as follows:

. MSPR-2 to JPM1F2
. Galley rack to NOD1P4

The ZSR that was previously located at NOD1P4 I presume has now gone to the PMM, but I don't know to which bay. Also at least one RSP has been removed from the PMM for disposal via HTV, but again I don't know which bay it came from. As such I now have no idea as to the rack configuration of the PMM, so I may have to omit it from a future topology diagram.

Is anyone else aware of any other changes in rack topology since the last diagram that are not listed above?
I sent some emails might know by next week.

Offline Space Pete

« Reply #41 on: 10/01/2015 02:12 am »
Here's my updated rack topology diagram. Changes are as follows:

. MSPR-2 added to JPM1F2
. Galley rack added to NOD1P4
. PMM removed (since I have no info regarding it's current config)

Offline Arb

• London
  • Liked: 514
  • Likes Given: 433
« Reply #42 on: 10/04/2015 07:52 pm »
Very pretty Space Pete. And interesting. But sooo many TLAs.

Could look them up if there were more hours in a day but, given that you reissue this from time to time, would be much better if you could find a way to include a list of definitions. Perhaps move the colour key to the left to make a space? A smaller font would be fine. Also, an explanation of SDPO, OADF, etc.

Just my 2p worth.

Offline Rik ISS-fan

• the Netherlands
« Reply #43 on: 10/05/2015 08:38 am »

Could look them up if there were more hours in a day but, given that you reissue this from time to time, would be much better if you could find a way to include a list of definitions. Perhaps move the colour key to the left to make a space? A smaller font would be fine. Also, an explanation of SDPO, OADF, etc.

Just my 2p worth.

Added with reply #15 (page1) is a document called Rack SE, this explains the abreviations a bit. I will update that document.

I've added the document. A lot of information is from the txt. document Jonatan made a couple of years ago. So I should thank him for his work back than.
@SpacePete If you want to add the NSS logo and claim the autor rights it's fine by me. I couldn't have made this without NSS.
I've also added a small document that just explains the abreviations
« Last Edit: 10/05/2015 06:51 pm by Rik ISS-fan »

Offline Space Pete

« Reply #44 on: 10/19/2015 02:45 pm »

Just my 2p worth.

Hi Arb,

Thanks for your suggestions.

For sure I would like to include a key, maybe also with a picture of the rack in question and a description of its function. Maybe I'll look into doing a "v2" of this sometime. What I would really love to do is to make it interactive, so you could click on a rack and it would bring up the info. I would probably have to do that as an HTML page though.

Added with reply #15 (page1) is a document called Rack SE, this explains the abreviations a bit. I will update that document.

I've added the document. A lot of information is from the txt. document Jonatan made a couple of years ago. So I should thank him for his work back than.
@SpacePete If you want to add the NSS logo and claim the autor rights it's fine by me. I couldn't have made this without NSS.
I've also added a small document that just explains the abreviations

Thanks Rik, they are very useful.

Just for the record, with regard claiming author rights, I only put the NSF logo and my name on my topology diagram in order to stop other blogs from stealing it and presenting it as their own work (which has happened before). In reality all the work produced in this thread is only made possible by a collaboration of many people over many years, including yourself who put in the original work, for which I am grateful. :)
« Last Edit: 10/19/2015 02:47 pm by Space Pete »

Offline Rik ISS-fan

• the Netherlands
« Reply #45 on: 02/05/2016 09:29 am »
Several weeks ago I found the latest status update for ACLS (ESA Live support rack, Contribution for the 2016-2020 time frame, the Orion service module is the other contribution, the total value is 600mln euro [4x150mln]) It can be found here (direct download)

The plan has changed a bit. The ACLS rack will be launched on HTV-7 in 2017 (as planned) bit it's location has changed from Columbus to Destiny P1 (currently Robonaut is stowed there). The advantage of this is that there is a external vent and a water bus connection available there. So the ACLS rack can directly vent outside and no crew time is required to supply the water to and from the rack.

Offline Rik ISS-fan

• the Netherlands
« Reply #46 on: 02/05/2016 09:37 am »
We also know there are five new racks planned:
- Two Basic Express racks (BER) ER-9B and ER-10B, most likely they will fly on HTV-6 or one on HTV-6 and one on HTV-8.
- A second globe box rack (MSG-2 or LSG {life science glovebox}) HTV-6 or HTV-8
- ACLS (Advanced Close Loop System) HTV-7 2017, goes to LAB P1.
- Water Stowage Rack, most likely HTV-7 2017, and I think it will go to the LAB, Node3 or PMM.

Offline Coastal Ron

• I live... along the coast
  • Liked: 10187
  • Likes Given: 11916
« Reply #47 on: 10/30/2017 07:14 pm »
As announced I've made a Excel file with the ISS rack topology. But now I also want to include:
- the Class 2 facilities, aka, the payloads inside the EXPRESS rack's, EDR, MSPR's, MSG.
- External payloads.
- Launches: what goes up and comes down.

This is a first rough release. (It needs some improvements)
Feel free to suggest improvements. And feel free to modify the document and use it (or parts of it).
In my opinion this document couldn't have been created without the NSF community. So NSF has the author rights.

Wow, your spreadsheet is highly detailed, and even includes pictures - Great Job!
If we don't continuously lower the cost to access space, how are we ever going to afford to expand humanity out into space?

Offline Rik ISS-fan

• the Netherlands
« Reply #48 on: 10/30/2017 09:57 pm »
Some specific questions I have, to improve the document:
- Does someone know at which Locker position in Express Rack 6 the (malfunctioning) TangoLab2 was placed?
'PIM' locker = Programmable Isolation Mount; also known as: Controlled Dynamics Locker (CDL).
- What went up and down with SpX-11 & SpX-12 (I know a lot was Rodent Research that goes up and down).
  I know SABL-3 went up and -1 went down, because it had a error.

Errors now:
Ex-6 L8 CUCU-spare has been removed October 27th.
Location of TangoLab-2 in Express rack 6.
SAMS-II drawer was removed from EX-5 (I had missed it was placed into there, will most likely return to EX-2 or EX-7(Active vibration Isolated racks).

Large internal changes will come with HTV-8, I expect several (at lest two) ISPR racks. Each SpaceX mission goes along with a change externally. I think I've SpX-13 & -14 already covered, but the manifest could have changed.

A note: I think the class 3 payloads, aka, nanoracks experiments and other sub locker experiments; are to small and to numerous to follow. The purpose of the document is to make a more visual representation of the current experiment facilities on the ISS.
I did't make a decision jet if I would show the payloads on MUSES and MISSE-FF. (4 and 14).
I could use some help tracking all changes.
« Last Edit: 11/01/2017 11:37 am by Rik ISS-fan »

Offline deruch

• California
  • Liked: 2006
  • Likes Given: 5634
« Reply #49 on: 11/04/2017 05:08 pm »
Cross-post from Expedition 53 thread:
Rack Swap in US Lab:  The crew swapped the Zero-G Stowage Rack (ZSR) in the LAB1O5 location with the Crew Health Care System (CheCS) Rack in the LAB1D4 location.  This swap was in preparation for a new Water Storage System (WSS) to be built into the ZSR later next year.  During the swap, the CheCS Rack needed to be temporarily moved to Node 1.  A Hatch Seal inspection was performed for the Node 1 Forward and the Lab Aft hatches following the transfer the activities. The Hatch Seal inspections are required to verify no damage following the transfer of the CHeCS rack through these hatches to perform the rack swap.
Shouldn't reality posts be in "Advanced concepts"?  --Nomadd

Offline deruch

• California
« Reply #50 on: 12/13/2017 01:24 am »
Picture of Kibo rack usage from the JAXA press kit for Kanai's mission to ISS (Expedition 54/55; launch on MS-07).  Not sure on how "up-to-date" this is though, as I don't speak Japanese.

http://forum.nasaspaceflight.com/index.php?topic=40619.msg1757515#msg1757515
« Last Edit: 12/13/2017 01:26 am by deruch »

Offline Rik ISS-fan

• the Netherlands
« Reply #51 on: 12/15/2017 11:23 am »
Interesting Nasa blog about LSG and the new refrigorator-Freezer rack.
LSG (Live Science Glovebox) will be build into a ZSR (Zero-gravity Stowage Rack), in Kibo.
WSS (Water Stowage System) will be build into the ZSR that was moved to LAB D4.
LSG, WSS and ACLS will launch on HTV-7. Most likely also the Refrigirator-Freezer rack (?MELFI or other?) will launch on HTV-7.

I got a PM that a new ISS FPIP document was posted on L2, unfortunatly I don't have acces (jet). Please if allowed share the info in the ISS FPIP document.
I guess the malfunctioning MELFI could be deorbited with HTV-7, and possibly several RSP's (Resupply Stowage Platforms.)
Please, if you have info on the Refrigirator-Freezer Rack, share it. I could only find a document from 2002, Crew Refrigerator Freezer Rack, Astrium. [pdf link] I think they are MELFI's.
But I've also read about a Rapid Freezer for the ISS.

I think the LSG (Live Science Glovebox will be placed into the ZSR117 at KIBO/JPM F6 or ZSR31 at JPM A5.
Or JPM D3 the HDP405 and replacement of MELFI-1. (Looking at deruch's post)

In BEAM M1 and M3 bags have been mounted to the guidance post to create stowage space. I still have to add that in the excel. I'll post a update when I got more info. (topology after HTV-7)
« Last Edit: 12/15/2017 11:30 am by Rik ISS-fan »

Offline deruch

• California
« Reply #52 on: 01/30/2018 10:25 pm »
ISS Daily Summary Report – 1/29/2018

Permanent Multipurpose Module (PMM) rack moves:  In order to increase efficiency in the PMM, today the crew moved several stowage racks inside the PMM.  The crew moved a Zero-G Stowage Rack (ZSR) and Resupply Stowage Platform (RSP), allowing easier accessibility to the stowage in these racks.

Offline Rik ISS-fan

• the Netherlands
« Reply #53 on: 02/02/2018 03:53 pm »
I think ICE Cubes, the European version of a cubelab experiment facility, will be placed in EPM (European Physological Module). Currently there is a stowage drawer in the right lower side, most likely it will replace that locker or will be inserted in there. I came to this conclusion from this image and this youtube video.

ICE Cubes will become the third company offering a facility for cubelab payloads.
The other two are Nanoracks (with three facilities) and SpaceTango (with two facilities)

Edit to add:
I found confirmation of my thought. In this ICF (ICE Cubes Facility) document
« Last Edit: 02/02/2018 05:51 pm by Rik ISS-fan »

Offline mmonty

• Liked: 90
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #54 on: 07/27/2018 03:50 pm »
HTV-7 will also bring 6x Li-Ion batteries to the ISS as replacement for 12 old ones.
I wonder where they plan to place the HTV ULC (Unpressurised Logistics Carrier).

ULC will be temp stowed on the POA like it was for HTV-6 for the battery swap.

Offline jcm

• Jonathan McDowell
« Reply #55 on: 08/09/2018 10:11 pm »

Jonathan McDowell

Offline jscott1

• Liked: 4
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #56 on: 03/07/2019 07:47 pm »
I'm finding it interesting there are rack topology enthusiasts that do this for fun.  From 1994 to 2002 it was my team's full time job doing this (VIPER).  First it was just me and eventually they created an entire organization to manage cargo and stowage.  Most of the terminology you see here we created that from scratch.  If there are any questions about why things were done the way they were in the past I probably know why.  I haven't kept up with the current configuration, too busy building spacesuits. 

Cheers.

Jonathan Miller

Offline jcm

• Jonathan McDowell
« Reply #57 on: 03/08/2019 02:55 am »
I'm finding it interesting there are rack topology enthusiasts that do this for fun.  From 1994 to 2002 it was my team's full time job doing this (VIPER).  First it was just me and eventually they created an entire organization to manage cargo and stowage.  Most of the terminology you see here we created that from scratch.  If there are any questions about why things were done the way they were in the past I probably know why.  I haven't kept up with the current configuration, too busy building spacesuits. 

Cheers.

Jonathan Miller

Awesome!
I'm fascinated by reuse of various components in the system, like various RSRs and RSPs that
flew up and down to ISS multiple times on MPLM etc.   As an outsider, tracking serial numbers and SE numbers is a bit
of a challenge, especially alas in the post 2002 timeframe that you can't help with...
part of my bigger effort to reconstruct ISS mass versus time on a per-module basis, which is a hopeless
goal never to be achieved.

Jonathan McDowell

Offline alexaltair

• Liked: 12
  • Likes Given: 3
« Reply #58 on: 08/14/2019 12:26 am »
Hi Rik ISS-fan, I wanted to give you more encouragement by saying that I was thrilled to find these rack maps! I'm building some ISS hardware replicas, and I wanted to know exactly what every rack in the US lab was for. This thread was by far the best resource for answering that question.

Offline russianhalo117

• Global Moderator
« Reply #59 on: 11/11/2019 07:23 pm »
ISS Daily Status report 10/21/2019 link
Resupply Stowage Rack (RSR) Transfer to HII Transfer Vehicle (HTV)8: Today, the crew continued with HTV8 cargo transfer operations and transferred the first of three racks that will be disposed with HTV8 at the completion of its mission. This week the crew will continue to focus on HTV8 cargo operations in preparation for HTV8 close out and departure late next week.

Today’s Planned Activities:
Structures and Mechanisms PMM1O1 Resupply Stowage Rack Transfer

ISS Daily Status report 10/23/2019 link
HII Transfer Vehicle (HTV)-8 Cargo Operations and ISS Outfitting: This week, the crew will continue to focus on HTV8 cargo operations in preparation for HTV8 close out and departure late next week.  This included performing a stowage rack swap that moved two Resupply Stowage Platforms (RSP) and a Resupply Stowage Rack (RSR) from the ISS Permanent Multipurpose Module (PMM) to the HTV vehicle in exchange for the installation of two Zero-G Stowage Racks (ZSR) shells in the PMM.  This reconfiguration of the PMM will increase overall stowage capacity and volume efficiency in the PMM than the previous configuration.

Node 1 Galley Rack:  Early yesterday morning, the Node 1 Galley Rack experienced an electrical power overcurrent event.  Therefore, due to issues with the Node 1 Galley Rack power draw, ground teams worked with the crew to relocate the Potable Water Dispenser (PWD) from the Node 1 Galley Rack to Express Rack 8 in the US Lab.  In addition, the crew’s food warmer was moved from the Russian Segment to Node 1.  While ground teams continue to troubleshoot the Node 1 Galley Rack overcurrent event, the relocations allow the crew to keep using the PWD and the food warmer.

Structures and Mechanisms Permanent Multipurpose Module Deck 2 Zero-G Stowage Rack Installation.
Structures and Mechanisms Permanent Multipurpose Module Starboard 2 Resupply Stowage Platform Transfer.

ISS Daily Status report 10/24/2019: Link
Look Ahead: Friday, 10/25 (GMT 298)
S&M PMM1S2 ZSR Install
Mass Measurement Device Hardware Setup in Support of VEG-04B

ISS Daily Status report 10/28/2019: link
HTV8 Unberth/ISS Outfitting: In preparation for the HTV8 Unberth on November 1, the crew completed the transfer of the final Resupply Stowage Platform (RSP) Rack from the Permanent Multipurpose Module (PMM) Starboard 3 location to HTV8S2 aisle-way location.  Resupply Stowage Platforms (RSP) removed from the PMM and replaced with new stowage racks will enable improved stowage efficiency.

So now we know where the RSR and two RSP's came from and where the two ZSR's went to. The new current topology.
I'm uncertain if mares is still stowed inside PMM of if it has been deorbited.

Edit to add: I've also made a pole for the frequency the topology has to be updated.
Add EFU-13 on JLP. 2 additional EFU's can be installed on JLP.

Offline streadgold

• MMOD
  • Houston
  • Liked: 46
  • Likes Given: 51
« Reply #60 on: 11/12/2019 01:34 pm »
Add EFU-13 on JLP. 2 additional EFU's can be installed on JLP.
Thanks for sharing this info.
I wasn't sure of the usability of the EFU on ELM-PS.
It's not included in the exposed facility info documents.
JAXA ELM-PS page states it's used to stow the ELM-ES or HTV pallet.

HISUI is planned to launch on SpX-19 and will be placed on EFU#8.

HREP and SEDA-AP were temporarily stowed on EFU-13 last year but nothing long term (they were only there for a few days)

Offline Sesquipedalian

• Whee!
  • Liked: 302
  • Likes Given: 986
« Reply #61 on: 01/05/2021 04:11 pm »
Good thinking.  I can think of three possibilities:

1) The racks reserved in Columbus by NASA are more than expected
2) The racks reserved in Columbus by ESA are fewer than expected
3) This is an oversight and those who allocate racks are not aware of this.  (Hey, people overlook things sometimes.)

It would be good to get clarification from a source.

Offline thrwnt

• Liked: 5
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #62 on: 03/01/2021 09:28 pm »
I couldn't find much info on the Crew Alternate Sleep Accommodation (CASA) that flew on Cygnus NG-15. Is that similar to the 4 crew quarters in Harmony, and taking COL F3?

Offline russianhalo117

• Global Moderator
« Reply #63 on: 03/01/2021 10:33 pm »
I couldn't find much info on the Crew Alternate Sleep Accommodation (CASA) that flew on Cygnus NG-15. Is that similar to the 4 crew quarters in Harmony, and taking COL F3?
CASA AFAIU outfits into a zero g rack and is for CCP crew accommodation to preferably house an ESA and CSA crew member so that one crew member doesn't have to sleep in the spacecraft they arrived on though if there isn't one on the flight then any CCP crew member can use it.
« Last Edit: 03/02/2021 03:50 pm by russianhalo117 »

Offline Space Pete

« Reply #64 on: 03/02/2021 03:37 pm »
Once MLM arrives with it's extra sleep station, it should be possible for the three Russian crewmembers to sleep in the RS, leaving the four Node 2 CQs for the USCV crews, so CASA is probably only temporary.

Offline jcm

• Jonathan McDowell
« Reply #65 on: 09/09/2022 01:41 am »
On Sep 6,  OGS moved from NOD3A6? to LAB1P1 and   LSR moved from LAB1P1 to NOD3A5

Jonathan McDowell

Offline Rik ISS-fan

• the Netherlands
« Reply #66 on: 09/25/2022 03:23 pm »

Tags:

Advertisement NovaTech
Advertisement Northrop Grumman