Poll

How often do you want an ISS Topology update?

Once a year
0 (0%)
When racks are relocated
1 (33.3%)
For each crew increment (rack location only)
1 (33.3%)
For each crew increment (rack locations & Drawers / Lockers)
0 (0%)
For each cargo visiting vehicle (Rack location & Drawers / Lockers)
1 (33.3%)

Total Members Voted: 3

Voting closed: 11/30/2019 04:49 pm

Author Topic: ISS Rack configurations  (Read 67552 times)

Offline Rik ISS-fan

• the Netherlands
  • Liked: 612
  • Likes Given: 211
ISS Rack configurations
« on: 04/25/2010 09:08 pm »
A few weeks ago I read the Expedition 23 and 24 press kit. And I noticed that the ISS Rack topology had not been updated. I've drawn ISS Rack tropology's on paper for a wile now, and I decided to make them in paint.

My topologies are based on the NASA ISS Increment Definition and Requirements Document (the last one I could find was for increment 19 and 20), outer agency documents that show rack topology's,  information about the mission content of shuttle missions, and of course information from this site.

I've read this forum for some years now, and I haven't seen forum about were all the different ISPR's are located. So I thought it would be nice to add an topic dedicated to this.

The main purpose for this topic is to make clear were al te differed rack Facilities are located, and what changes over time. I think that An image can make this fare more clear than words so I've added my topology's.

The transfer of the RWS from Lab Starboard 5 to cupola,
The T2(Colbert) transfer from node 2 deck5 to node3 forward5, the addition of Crew Quarter 2 to Node 2 overhead 5 and the future transfer of CQ-3 from JPM (Kibo) Deck3 to Harmony (node2) deck 5. Are all appropriate to be named here.

(sorry for my grammatical mistakes, when I've made one, I'm not an native English speaker)

Edit October 2021:
I've removed my topology maps from NASAspaceflight, most likely I'll add them to Wikipedia.
Let's explain why in this post (that most probably will be removed).
In my opinion NASAspaceflight has not been a pleasant forum to participate; for two reasons.
1) I've experienced many times that posts were removed, without getting a reason from the moderator.
2) Many users of the forum have negative sentiment towards non-reusable rockets, or everything other than SpaceX.

Last Friday I wrote a long informative post in the Ariane 6 discussion topic. Saturday that post was gone. Most likely the reason it was removed was roughly the following remark: (String appears to be a hobby of the French).
Someone replied to it that he didn't like that remark, and probably reported it later.
The moderator could have removed the comment, because it was a side comment in my long informative post. But instead the whole post was removed. Along with the post with the complaint. Without explanation PM so I couldn't learn from my mistake, to prevent it happening again.
I've reported to the moderating team that I didn't like that they removed the post. Without explaining why. But I didn't get a reply from them.
Saturday I've witten a reply in the Ariane 6 discussion topic again, that was on topic. Already for years I don't share information on NSF because you'll get a lot of negative replies. And you have the chance that you're post is removed. Thus possibly updates about Ariane6 qualification aren't shared.
I was upset so wrote it more negative than here. So I reported it myself to the moderating team.
It didn't surprise me that that post was removed. That made me decide to remove a lot of my posts from NSF.
Sorry, I don't see the point any longer writing a post on NSF, because it's very likely to be removed.
I'll search for another forum or media to share the info I find and discuss space related stuff.
I'm very sure the practice of very easily removing a post has scared more users away. I'm another that can be added to that list.
« Last Edit: 10/12/2021 12:22 am by Rik ISS-fan »

Offline Space Pete

Re: ISS Rack configurations
« Reply #1 on: 04/25/2010 10:15 pm »
AWESOME! ;D

Thank you very much!

There's also this interactive feature that shows ISS rack configurations in Destiny, Columbus & the JPM (although it’s a little outdated).
www.nasa.gov/externalflash/lab_racks/labs.html
« Last Edit: 04/25/2010 10:18 pm by Space Pete »
NASASpaceflight ISS Editor

Offline Jim

• Night Gator
  • Cape Canaveral Spaceport
  • Liked: 21448
  • Likes Given: 428
« Reply #2 on: 04/25/2010 10:29 pm »
There is a final topology on L2, I just can't find it.

Offline Rik ISS-fan

• the Netherlands
« Reply #3 on: 04/25/2010 11:12 pm »
Pete i'm familiar with that interactive fiture on nasa's site, and indeed  it's nice. But the basis for this fiture is prity old. For years you could find this fiture on the Iss secton under construction and US lab, but it was only dedicated to the lab than. A few months ago they have updated it, and I don't acspact any updates in it for years. So i think my litle image will be more accurate.

Jim, I've made these tropology's so averyone can get an idea how the interior of the ISS will look like in the future. So that knoledge is also aveable for people who havn't got a subscription for L2. I already acspacted the existence of these kind of documents on L2. But thanks for letting me know they really exist. I would like to have it so i can make my final topology more acurate.

I've kept some racks like Express rack 8 /to come up by HTV together with Kabairo\ out of my topology becouse i've only read once about them.

I really mis the NASA Increment definition and Requirement Documents , because they showed very precisely what the content of a shuttle mission was. I tought too have read someting about two ZSR being brought up by STS-131. Can any one confirm this?
And hav they gone to lab Deck and Port 4, or somewere else???
Beforhand thanks for the ansers!
« Last Edit: 04/25/2010 11:37 pm by Rik ISS-fan »

Offline Space Pete

« Reply #4 on: 04/26/2010 01:00 am »
I tought too have read someting about two ZSR being brought up by STS-131. Can any one confirm this?

Yes, two ZSRs were brought up on STS-131 - one went to JLP1A1 and the other went to LAB1P4.

As I understand it, ZSRs are mounted over the top of other racks using standard ISS seat track (but I'm not 100% sure). So you might need to show 2 racks in 1 bay on your plan. ;)
« Last Edit: 04/26/2010 03:22 pm by Space Pete »

Offline Jim

• Night Gator
  • Cape Canaveral Spaceport
  • Liked: 21448
  • Likes Given: 428
« Reply #5 on: 04/26/2010 01:20 am »
Yes, two ZSRs were brought up on STS-131 - one went to JLP1A1 and the other went to LAB1P4.

As I understand it, ZSRs are mounted over the top of other racks using standard ISS seat track (but I'm not 100% sure). So you might need to show 2 racks in 1 bay on your plan. ;)

ZSR take the place of racks, they are not on the front of racks.

Offline Danderman

• Extreme Veteran
  • Liked: 698
  • Likes Given: 723
« Reply #6 on: 04/26/2010 01:31 am »
I tought too have read someting about two ZSR being brought up by STS-131. Can any one confirm this?

Google is your friend.

Step 1: Use the Google to find "STS-131 presskit"

Step 2: Download the pdf.

Step 3: Search the document for "ZSR".

Offline arkaska

• Sweden
  • Liked: 1
  • Likes Given: 4
« Reply #7 on: 04/26/2010 02:43 pm »

Pete I think you confused it with their launch configuration. They are launched folded up and placed in front of another rack in the MPLM but in that configuration they can't support any storage and they are folded into the onn-orbit configuration once installed in ISS. There was a operations check-list for this in one of the flight data files for STS-131.

Offline Rik ISS-fan

• the Netherlands
« Reply #8 on: 04/26/2010 03:08 pm »
I've updatet the tropology's. becouse there was a ZSR (Zero-G Storage Rack) missing.

Before STS/131tere was a ZSR in JPM (Kibo) A(ft)1 assigned with Rack No. 31 I thought they relocated it to JLP A1, but Pete posted that one of the ZSR's brought up by STS-131 has been put there. Does somebody know with ZSR has been placed at JLP A1, and where the outer rack as been placed??   

I think Lab S(tarboard)1, or D(eck)4 might be the location, or maby JPM D3 (CQ-3's old location) or A4 /5 or F(orward) 2 /3
« Last Edit: 04/26/2010 03:13 pm by Rik ISS-fan »

Offline Space Pete

« Reply #9 on: 04/26/2010 04:00 pm »

Pete I think you confused it with their launch configuration. They are launched folded up and placed in front of another rack in the MPLM but in that configuration they can't support any storage and they are folded into the onn-orbit configuration once installed in ISS. There was a operations check-list for this in one of the flight data files for STS-131.

Ah, thanks! :)

I got confused when I saw these photos:
http://mediaarchive.ksc.nasa.gov/imageviewer.cfm?mediaid=45636&mr=m&w=756&h=519&fn=2010-1770
(You can see two ZSRs installed over the top of other racks in the right hand side of the photo below.)
http://mediaarchive.ksc.nasa.gov/imageviewer.cfm?mediaid=45649&mr=m&w=756&h=517&fn=2010-1802

But I understand now - they fold out into full racks, as shown in these photos:
www.spaceflight.nasa.gov/gallery/images/shuttle/sts-98/hires/s98e5250.jpg
www.spaceflight.nasa.gov/gallery/images/station/crew-17/hires/iss017e018973.jpg
« Last Edit: 04/26/2010 04:14 pm by Space Pete »

Online brahmanknight

• I don't have all the right answers, but I do have all the right questions
  • Liked: 17
  • Likes Given: 168
« Reply #10 on: 04/28/2010 12:55 am »
Is there any similar layout document for Zvesda/Zaryz/Pirs/PoisK?  I know it doesn't have racks like the US side, but maybe something showing where experiments are currently?

Offline Danderman

• Extreme Veteran
  • Liked: 698
  • Likes Given: 723
« Reply #11 on: 04/28/2010 03:59 am »
Is there any similar layout document for Zvesda/Zaryz/Pirs/PoisK?  I know it doesn't have racks like the US side, but maybe something showing where experiments are currently?

The FGB and Service Module have a different rack system (these are hidden behind covers and make up the 4 planes of the interior). Some of the racks are system racks for things like batteries, some are stowage racks, and there is some active science equipment in some areas. I am unaware of a public document listing all of these rack areas.

Pirs and Poisk, not so much. Their narrow diameter does not provide much volume for a formal rack system, although there is a short area with enclosures near the passive docking cone. The upcoming MRM-1 does have a long stowage area near the passive end, as well, and I know of at least one US rack module that is currently installed there.

Offline sdsds

• “With peace and hope for all mankind.”
  • Seattle
  • Liked: 2039
  • Likes Given: 1962
« Reply #12 on: 07/03/2010 10:38 pm »
For the nodes that include two rings of racks, was there a reason the rings needed to be side by side?  Could the CBMs have been centered between the two rack rings?  (See attached.)
— 𝐬𝐝𝐒𝐝𝐬 —

Offline Rik ISS-fan

• the Netherlands
« Reply #13 on: 09/22/2010 10:10 pm »
I've been away for a while, and they starting to move some racks again.
So I thought that it would be nice when I added a new configuration.

The changes in the last couple of months are:
 - Swap ARS system racks form Node 3 to US LAB and back again.
 - Confugure MAR-ES
 - Move CQ-3 (Crue Quater-3) from JPM D3 (Kibo deck 3) to Node 2 D5

The CHeCS RSR rack is going to be moved fron LAB O5 to Lab D4

For the new drawing, see the PDF-files at the first post.

Offline Space Pete

« Reply #14 on: 09/22/2010 10:14 pm »

The changes in the last couple of months are:
 - Swap ARS system racks form Node 3 to US LAB and back again.
 - Confugure MAR-ES
 - Move CQ-3 (Crue Quater-3) from JPM D3 (Kibo deck 3) to Node 2 D5

The CHeCS RSR rack is going to be moved fron LAB O5 to Lab D4

The ARS rack that was in NOD3A4 was moved to LAB1S1.

The CHeCS RSR was moved from LAB1O5 to LAB1D4 this week.

Thanks for the updated drawings! :)
« Last Edit: 09/22/2010 10:16 pm by Space Pete »

Offline Rik ISS-fan

• the Netherlands
« Reply #15 on: 09/22/2010 10:24 pm »
For the nodes that include two rings of racks, was there a reason the rings needed to be side by side?  Could the CBMs have been centered between the two rack rings?  (See attached.)

ESA considered this idea for an enlarged version of Node3, with would have had 16 instead of 8 rack locations. It would have had two rings of racks beside another on both sides of the CBM's.  This was considerd after the scrubbing of the Habutation module and CAM, but it staid at an idea.

For node 2 & 3 the racks are side by side because they are designed from the MPLMs. I think it would have been more complicated to bild them with one ring of racks on each side.   

Drawings modified april '11
« Last Edit: 04/16/2011 03:19 pm by Rik ISS-fan »

Offline robertross

• Canadian Member
  • Westphal, Nova Scotia
  • Liked: 659
  • Likes Given: 7680
« Reply #16 on: 09/22/2010 11:42 pm »

Thanks!

As a side note, I've been debating whether to tackle the ISS ORU situation, especially when I read they have to replace all the battery ORUs due to reduced lifetimes, but it's so difficult without payload manifests for all the visiting vehicles.

Offline Space Pete

« Reply #17 on: 10/18/2010 09:27 pm »
MSG will be moved from COL1F2 to LAB1S2 on 21/10.

In preparation for this, MELFI-2 was moved from LAB1S2 to LAB1S1 today.

Offline Rik ISS-fan

• the Netherlands
« Reply #18 on: 10/19/2010 12:20 am »

I will change this in the drawings; but does anybody know why they are moving MSG? It doesn't make sence to me, because MSG is located in COL1F2 in all the Topologies i've seen.

As in this Nasa document 
http://www.nasa.gov/pdf/296699main_R.%20Jones.pdf
But in this topology TESS (temp. sleep station) is stil present.

Nasa has posted the expedition 25/26 press documentseveral days ago (finaly). Lots of interesting information in there, assecionaly about HTV-2. There only isn't a rack topology in there :(.

Here I will summerise the things that will change during expeditions 25 and 26.

STS-133: Express-4 (outside ORU/ experiment platform)
- addition PMM module on Node 1 Deck,
- add R2(Robonat) (From what I heared) in front of Lab Starbord 5 (will be placed there later)
- And I think also Expr-8 will be brought up to be placed at JPM A(ft)5.
Outherwise I'll be deliverd by a HTV, Inside it, will be BXF (Boiling Experiment Facility)
Can somebody verify this? It isn't mentioned in the press document.

STS-134 only outside elements and ORU's for the rack's will be delivered.
Express-3 and AMS

HTV-2: Will bring up two US outside experiments for JPM-EF
and for the inside:
 - Kabiro with GHF (Gardient Heating Furnace) JPM F(orwerd) 3
 - MPSR (Multi-Purpose Small payload Rack) JPM A(ft) 4.

I will add the new topology's in a few day's

« Last Edit: 10/19/2010 12:25 am by Rik ISS-fan »

Offline Space Pete

« Reply #19 on: 10/19/2010 12:35 am »

I will change this in the drawings; but does anybody know why they are moving MSG? It doesn't make sence to me, because MSG is located in COL1F2 in all the Topologies i've seen.

As in this Nasa document 
http://www.nasa.gov/pdf/296699main_R.%20Jones.pdf
But in this topology TESS (temp. sleep station) is stil present.

Nasa has posted the expedition 25/26 press documentseveral days ago (finaly). Lots of interesting information in there, assecionaly about HTV-2. There only isn't a rack topology in there :(.

Here I will summerise the things that will change during expeditions 25 and 26.

STS-133: Express-4 (outside ORU/ experiment platform)
- addition PMM module on Node 1 Deck,
- add R2(Robonat) (From what I heared) in front of Lab Starbord 5 (will be placed there later)
- And I think also Expr-8 will be brought up to be placed at JPM A(ft)5.
Inside Expr-8 will be BXF (Boiling Experiment Facility)
Can somebody verify this? It isn't mentioned in the press document.

STS-134 only outside elements and ORU's for the rack's will be delivered.
Express-3 and AMS

HTV-2: Will bring up two US outside experiments for JPM-EF
and for the inside:
 - Kabiro with GHF (Gardient Heating Furnace) JPM F(orwerd) 3
 - MPSR (Multi-Purpose Small payload Rack) JPM A(ft) 4.

I will add the new topology's in a few day's

I think MSG is being moved because it gets in the way of the recently commissioned MARES (i.e., when MSG is deployed, MARES cannot be deployed, and vice-versa).

TeSS was dismantled and returned to Earth on STS-131 in April.

R2 will be stowed in LAB1P1. Its baseplate will mounted via seat track to LAB1D2, and its task board will be mounted via seat track to LAB1P2.

ER-8 will go to LAB1P4.

You are correct on the Kobairo and MSPR rack locations.

Also, CHeCS will now stay at LAB1D4 permanently.
« Last Edit: 10/19/2010 12:35 am by Space Pete »

Tags:

Advertisement NovaTech
Advertisement Northrop Grumman
Advertisement
Advertisement Margaritaville Beach Resort South Padre Island
Advertisement Brady Kenniston
Advertisement NextSpaceflight
Advertisement Nathan Barker Photography