Author Topic: SpaceX CCSFS/KSC (Florida Space Coast) - Launch Viewing  (Read 92780 times)

Offline leetdan

• Space Coast
  • Liked: 323
  • Likes Given: 282
Re: SpaceX CCSFS/KSC (Florida Space Coast) - Launch Viewing
« Reply #140 on: 01/31/2022 01:19 am »
For anybody interested, the launch viewing area on State Road 401 was open for today's CSG-2 attempt.  It was the first time I've seen it open since the Pandemic started.

This is an excellent location, on the north side of Port Canaveral, just outside the CCSFS gate.  Security and traffic direction is provided by base staff.  You have a clear line of sight to the rocket sitting on the pad, and are just as close as Jetty Park for the landings (though it's behind the tree line).

Offline jg

• Liked: 188
  • Likes Given: 7
« Reply #141 on: 01/31/2022 01:35 am »
It is a great location. We watched the first falcon heavy launch/landing there.

Sent from my Pixel 3a XL using Tapatalk

Offline gdelottle

• Chile
  • Liked: 48
  • Likes Given: 78
« Reply #142 on: 01/31/2022 10:12 am »
A bit off-topic: usually, how do you organize your visit around the chance of a scrub or delay?

I am planning to travel to Florida to watch a Dragon launch in April, waiting for the readiness review outcome, but don't know how to manage the possibility of delays. Do you know of a statistical model for that, maybe related to the season?

Offline leetdan

• Space Coast
« Reply #143 on: 01/31/2022 12:25 pm »
A bit off-topic: usually, how do you organize your visit around the chance of a scrub or delay?

I am planning to travel to Florida to watch a Dragon launch in April, waiting for the readiness review outcome, but don't know how to manage the possibility of delays. Do you know of a statistical model for that, maybe related to the season?

The best you can do is plan for as many additional days as your schedule and wallet will allow.  There's plenty else to do around the coast and of course Orlando if you end up needing to wait a few days.

April weather will be pretty good, probably the biggest question is how long of a window the ISS has for the crew launch.

It is a great location. We watched the first falcon heavy launch/landing there.

You and I both, and it seems we were in good company!

« Last Edit: 01/31/2022 12:28 pm by leetdan »

Offline Comga

• Liked: 4572
  • Likes Given: 5136
« Reply #144 on: 01/31/2022 03:29 pm »
April weather will be pretty good, probably the biggest question is how long of a window the ISS has for the crew launch.

Windows for launching to the ISS are 5 minutes at most. IIRC for Falcon they are instantaneous. SpaceX completes fueling just in time to launch as the plane of the orbit passes over the launch site, and they have little ability to hold before either the fuel “warms” excessively or the plane offset becomes too large to make.

The above advice fro leetdan is critical: be prepared to stay. Every time I go to watch, most people leave after the first scrub. You just have to tough it out. It’s worth it.
What kind of wastrels would dump a perfectly good booster in the ocean after just one use?

Offline leetdan

• Space Coast
« Reply #145 on: 01/31/2022 04:08 pm »
Windows for launching to the ISS are 5 minutes at most. IIRC for Falcon they are instantaneous. SpaceX completes fueling just in time to launch as the plane of the orbit passes over the launch site, and they have little ability to hold before either the fuel “warms” excessively or the plane offset becomes too large to make.

I was referring to the ISS window for Visiting Vehicles, though I assume a regular crew rotation would have high priority.  Yes, without yaw steering the launch window is instantaneous on any given opportunity.

Offline gdelottle

• Chile
  • Liked: 48
  • Likes Given: 78
« Reply #146 on: 02/01/2022 09:30 am »
Thanks for the replies regarding my question.

I have been searching online for statistics on delays in launching to the ISS. Unfortunately I couldn't find anything including cargo. It must exist somewhere. Any hint?
« Last Edit: 02/01/2022 09:44 am by gdelottle »

Offline Comga

« Reply #147 on: 02/03/2022 01:20 am »
SpaceX Falcon 9 CSG-2: The life cycle of a booster from launch to landing

If you listen to the audio you can hear something important for watching a launch live.
Pay attention to the recognizable audio from the SpaceX webcast. It is many seconds behind the events of the launch.
If you are using a webcast to keep up to date about the progression of the launch, ASSUME that there is a large lag.
Don’t watch your phone through the whole countdown.
Look towards the launch site well before T=0
What kind of wastrels would dump a perfectly good booster in the ocean after just one use?

Offline ZachS09

• Space Savant
  • Roanoke, TX
  • Liked: 2345
  • Likes Given: 2060
« Reply #148 on: 02/03/2022 01:26 am »
SpaceX Falcon 9 CSG-2: The life cycle of a booster from launch to landing

If you listen to the audio you can hear something important for watching a launch live.
Pay attention to the recognizable audio from the SpaceX webcast. It is many seconds behind the events of the launch.
If you are using a webcast to keep up to date about the progression of the launch, ASSUME that there is a large lag.
Don’t watch your phone through the whole countdown.
Look towards the launch site well before T=0

I followed that protocol the last time I saw a launch in person, although it was an Atlas V and not a Falcon 9. And it was a night launch too.

Having watched other videos of people viewing launches in person, I assumed liftoff would occur when the webcast’s countdown clock read T-1 minute.

Started my camera at T-2 minutes and before I knew it, the engines ignited and the rest was history.
« Last Edit: 02/03/2022 01:26 am by ZachS09 »
Liftoff for St. Jude's! Go Dragon, Go Falcon, Godspeed Inspiration4!

Offline hygoex

• Northeast Georgia
  • Liked: 6
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #149 on: 04/07/2022 09:42 pm »
What are my viewing chances of tomorrow's Axiom launch from Tybee Island, Georgia?

Offline Comga

« Reply #150 on: 04/08/2022 04:52 am »
What are my viewing chances of tomorrow's Axiom launch from Tybee Island, Georgia?

Fair
The weather forecast for Tybee is clear, but the Sun may be in your eyes.
See if you can find something to shade you like a stop sign.
Or go out on the Tybee beach pier and stand under the roof.

Tybee Island is ~250 mi/400 km from the Cape
The path should go within ~150 mi/ ~250 km of Tybee
You might be able to see MECO, staging, SECO-1 and fairing deployments to the southeast.

Offline hygoex

• Northeast Georgia
  • Liked: 6
« Reply #151 on: 04/08/2022 04:54 pm »
I didn't see anything, but I was on North Beach.   

Offline Eagandale4114

• Liked: 541
  • Likes Given: 500
« Reply #152 on: 04/26/2022 04:31 am »
How early should I get to Parrish Park or Max Brewer Bridge to watch the crew 4 launch?

Offline Collin

• Liked: 0
« Reply #153 on: 05/14/2022 12:13 pm »
How early should I arrive a Playalinda to see today's Starlink 4-15 launch?

Offline dotdad

@Collin Not sure what the ideal arrival time is, I've heard 4 hours for spots on the stairs.  But for a beautiful weekend day with no launch you can wait 30 minutes just to get through the park gate.  Since you posted this 75 minutes ago, if you are still looking for an answer, GO NOW!

PS Bring all supplies you will need, there is nothing out there but beautiful beach. Water, food, snacks, chairs, all up to you.   Convenience stores on US-1 right before the bridge is your last place to buy anything.

Offline fuganti

• Liked: 3
  • Likes Given: 761
« Reply #155 on: 05/15/2022 12:41 am »
@Collin Not sure what the ideal arrival time is, I've heard 4 hours for spots on the stairs.  But for a beautiful weekend day with no launch you can wait 30 minutes just to get through the park gate.  Since you posted this 75 minutes ago, if you are still looking for an answer, GO NOW!

Just for an up to date info, I crossed the bridge at 3:20pm and spend almost 1hr crawling to the gate!

Today was my first rocket launch view, so as a precaution I called Canaveral National Seashore (phone # from NPS app) at about 1pm and she told me about a possible road closure "a couple of hours before launch" !!
Then I rushed from Sanford to try to get there hoping for misinformation about road closure but what I saw was almost ONE hour to reach the gate, arriving at the first parking lot with 15 min to spare... and no road closure ::)

Amazing experience  :D
"Fly Fast, Fly Safe !" /
SZD-59 (almost) owner / Dr. Iscold's Nixus first FBW glider fan !

Offline Truncate

• Los Alamos NM
  • Liked: 1
  • Likes Given: 2
« Reply #156 on: 07/01/2022 02:58 pm »
For those of you who live in the area, I'll be in and around Ft Myers and wonder how far I'll have to drive to even see a launch. I don't think the 200+ miles to see it up close and personal is going to work out (this time) but can I get a decent view from someplace a bit south, one of the beaches down there? Any recommendations? Back to lurking. Thanks.

[Edit] I realize I'll need a great pair of binoculars and which direction the rocket is heading is important too but I'm hoping to at least catch a glimpse once the rocket gets high enough...
« Last Edit: 07/01/2022 03:14 pm by Truncate »

Offline IANARS

• SW Pennsylvania, USA
  • Liked: 164
  • Likes Given: 381
« Reply #157 on: 07/01/2022 04:11 pm »
For those of you who live in the area, I'll be in and around Ft Myers and wonder how far I'll have to drive to even see a launch. I don't think the 200+ miles to see it up close and personal is going to work out (this time) but can I get a decent view from someplace a bit south, one of the beaches down there? Any recommendations? Back to lurking. Thanks.

[Edit] I realize I'll need a great pair of binoculars and which direction the rocket is heading is important too but I'm hoping to at least catch a glimpse once the rocket gets high enough...

So I’m currently straight across from you in the town of Jupiter. Typically the piers in the area offer really good vantage points for launches (especially the southern trajectories that basically fly straight overhead), and sometimes if the conditions are right you’re even far enough east of the cape that you can catch the first couple seconds of the F9 entry burn.

Unfortunately the heavy cloud cover these last couple afternoons have made it feel more like I’m trying to catch a launch at VSFB instead…  ::)

If you can ditch the cloud cover, I’ve also frequently watched from family in the orlando and other central parts of the state as well.

Hope that helps!

Offline Orbiter

• Florida
  • Liked: 1548
  • Likes Given: 1385
« Reply #158 on: 07/20/2022 02:07 pm »
Ben Cooper doesn't list Playalinda as a viewing site for Starlink 4-25, despite the park opening at 6 AM and usually being open for launches at this hour. Anyone hear if the beach is going to be closed Sunday morning for one reason or another?

Looks like it's been updated now.
« Last Edit: 07/21/2022 02:50 pm by Orbiter »
KSC Engineer, astronomer, rocket photographer.

Offline kevlar204

• Netherlands
  • Liked: 0
« Reply #159 on: 07/21/2022 07:22 pm »
Thankyou for all the Information so far! I am visiting Florida at the moment all the way from the Netherlands. Last time (2019) I saw a launch from rt 528. I would love to see a launch from playalinda beach. The videos I saw are amazing! I was hoping someone could tell me at what time I Should arrive at the gates. Were staying in Orlando and I don’t mind getting up early.

It’s for the Starlink launch this Sunday.

Thank you!

Tags:

Advertisement NovaTech
Advertisement Northrop Grumman
Advertisement
Advertisement Margaritaville Beach Resort South Padre Island
Advertisement Brady Kenniston
Advertisement NextSpaceflight
Advertisement Nathan Barker Photography