Author Topic: Sierra Space Dream Chaser UPDATE Thread (was SNC)  (Read 740653 times)

Offline BrightLight

• Northern New Mexico
  • Liked: 312
  • Likes Given: 924
Re: SNC Dream Chaser UPDATE Thread
« Reply #60 on: 01/30/2013 04:31 pm »
Jeff Foust ‏@jeff_foust

Sirangelo: working through what facilities in Florida we will use for Dream Chaser and when we will occupy them.

Offline BrightLight

• Northern New Mexico
« Reply #61 on: 01/30/2013 04:32 pm »
Douglas Messier ‏@spacecom

Voss #SNC: Will drop Dream Chaser from about 12,000 feet. Vehicle will hit 300 nauts. (knots - my correction)

Offline BrightLight

• Northern New Mexico
« Reply #62 on: 01/30/2013 04:35 pm »
Jeff Foust ‏@jeff_foust

Voss: Dream Chaser tests will take place from altitude of 12,000 feet; reach peak speeds of 300 knots before landing at 180 knots.

Offline BrightLight

• Northern New Mexico
« Reply #63 on: 01/30/2013 04:36 pm »

Sirangelo: Received a number of bids for collaboration. Very competitive process. #SNC

Offline BrightLight

• Northern New Mexico
« Reply #64 on: 01/30/2013 04:36 pm »
Jeff Foust ‏@jeff_foust

Sirangelo: looking to use this vehicle in a number of markets even in the event NASA does not go forward with us.

Offline yg1968

• Liked: 7123
  • Likes Given: 3064
« Reply #65 on: 01/30/2013 04:41 pm »
LockMart definitely knows what the heck they're doing. Very good choice.

Dreamchaser's stock went up in my book.

I don't know. SNC had Boeing as a subcontractor previously for DC. If SNC is only switching subcontractors from Boeing to LM, I am not sure if this is good news. 
« Last Edit: 01/30/2013 04:42 pm by yg1968 »

Offline BrightLight

• Northern New Mexico
« Reply #66 on: 01/30/2013 04:43 pm »

And the #SNC press conference is over. Highlights: LockMart joins team, certification, manufacturing and assembly. Drop tests in 6-8 weeks

Online Chris Bergin

« Reply #67 on: 01/30/2013 04:49 pm »
The 60+ minutes of the presser audio will be in L2 in about five mins. Article will be worked tonight (will do a few articles on this, but first will be about the deal).
Support NSF via L2 -- Help improve NSF -- Site Rules/Feedback/Updates
**Not a L2 member? Whitelist this forum in your adblocker to support the site and ensure full functionality.**

Offline yg1968

« Reply #68 on: 01/30/2013 04:55 pm »
The 60+ minutes of the presser audio will be in L2 in about five mins. Article will be worked tonight (will do a few articles on this, but first will be about the deal).

It would be interesting to know more about this deal. It seems that the deal is only for LM being a subcontractor in DC. If I understand the deal correctly, LM is not investing anything in DC. I imagine that this also means that Boeing is out as a DC subcontractor. I can't imagine both LM and Boeing being involved as subcontractors in DC. 
« Last Edit: 01/30/2013 04:59 pm by yg1968 »

Offline BrightLight

• Northern New Mexico
« Reply #69 on: 01/30/2013 05:00 pm »

It would be interesting to know more about this deal. It seems that the deal is only for SM being a subcontractor in DC. If I understand the deal correctly, LM is not investing anything in DC. I imagine that this also means that Boeing is out as a DC subcontractor. I can't imagine both LM and Boeing being involved as subcontractors in DC. 

from the Denver post article:
"Littleton-based Lockheed Martin Space Systems Co. will specifically be in charge of building the composite structure for the Dream Chaser...

Lockheed will do its work at NASA's Michoud Assemby Facility in New Orleans. "

Offline yg1968

« Reply #70 on: 01/30/2013 05:19 pm »

It would be interesting to know more about this deal. It seems that the deal is only for LM being a subcontractor in DC. If I understand the deal correctly, LM is not investing anything in DC. I imagine that this also means that Boeing is out as a DC subcontractor. I can't imagine both LM and Boeing being involved as subcontractors in DC. 

After listening to the audio on L2, LM is indeed a subcontractor for SNC (not an investor). But it seems like they will be an important subcontractor. So it is a big deal in that sense.

There is supposed to be a press release that will give more details on the LM-SNC partnership.
« Last Edit: 01/30/2013 05:55 pm by yg1968 »

Offline adrianwyard

• Liked: 322
  • Likes Given: 367
« Reply #71 on: 01/30/2013 08:49 pm »
Boeing Phantomworks certainly used to be listed by SNCSpace as on their team for composite structures (they cited Boeings Bird of Prey IIRC). But I'm not sure they've actually built anything for SNC yet. Anyone know differently?

As Boeing gets further into their CST-100 work I could see how their involvement with a competitors team might not sit well with everyone.

Offline Confusador

• Liked: 191
  • Likes Given: 381
« Reply #72 on: 01/31/2013 12:00 am »
Not really anything that wasn't covered, but here it is for good measure:

Sierra Nevada Corporation and Lockheed Martin Space Systems Company Partner On Dream Chaser Programs

SPARKS, Nev., – January 30, 2013 – Sierra Nevada Corporation’s (SNC) Space Systems is pleased to announce Lockheed Martin Space Systems Company of Littleton, Colo., is joining the SNC Dream Chaser® team.  Lockheed Martin will be an exclusive partner to SNC on NASA's Certification Products Contract (CPC) and has been competitively selected to build the composite structure for the Dream Chaser at NASA’s Michoud Assembly Facility in New Orleans, La.  SNC was awarded $10 million for CPC Phase 1 to work with NASA towards government certification of the SNC Dream Chaser orbital crew transportation system.

"The SNC team is thrilled that Lockheed Martin will be joining our expanding world-class team of partner organizations also working to certify the Dream Chaser Space System for crewed flights to the International Space Station for NASA.”  said Mark Sirangelo, corporate vice president and head of SNC’s Space Systems. “The CPC contract offers the Dream Chaser team the opportunity for a more robust technical interchange with NASA as we work to develop a safe, reliable orbital crew transportation system.  This contract capitalizes on SNC's success working with NASA's Commercial Crew Program, as well as Lockheed Martin's expertise in developing and certifying Orion's beyond low Earth orbit human spaceflight hardware as part of NASA's Exploration Program.  Our team will work towards the common goal of certifying the Dream Chaser to provide the next generation human transportation system."

Lockheed Martin is developing NASA's Orion Multi-Purpose Crew Vehicle (MPCV) and brings extensive and current experience in obtaining NASA certification for a crewed flight vehicle to the Dream Chaser program.

“We are pleased to join the SNC Dream Chaser team. Lockheed Martin brings with it tremendous human-rated space flight knowledge from our significant experience with large, human-flight structures, including 135 flights with the Space Shuttle’s external fuel tanks.  We feel we can share many synergies between the Orion exploration spacecraft and the Dream Chaser lifting body space vehicle. This provides a great opportunity to take NASA’s investments in crew exploration capabilities and leverage them toward commercial transportation to low Earth orbit,” said Jim Crocker, vice president and general manager, Civil Space, Lockheed Martin Space Systems Company.

The composite structure for the Dream Chaser flight test vehicle is being built under the SNC $212.5 million Space Act Agreement for the NASA Commercial Crew Integrated Capability Program. This effort leverages the extensive Lockheed Martin experience in building composite structures for spacecraft and high performance aircraft.   With the addition of Lockheed Martin as a partner on the Dream Chaser program, SNC is now working with partner organizations in over 15 states on NASA's Commercial Crew Integrated Capability program.

“We are pleased to include Lockheed Martin as part of the Dream Chaser Team to develop early certification products and to build critical flight hardware.  Their recent human spacecraft certification experience and composite expertise make them a great addition to our program,” said Jim Voss, vice president of Space Exploration Systems and Dream Chaser program manager.

The SNC and Lockheed Martin partnership represents the best of entrepreneurial spirit and established space mission success, collaborating on vehicle development, certification and reaching additional customer markets for the Dream Chaser orbital vehicle.  The team looks forward to working with NASA to successfully execute on the first round of the CPC contract and move towards offering the Dream Chaser Space System as a commercial solution to crew and cargo servicing of the International Space Station.

About Sierra Nevada Corporation’s Space Systems

Sierra Nevada Corporation’s Space Systems business area headquartered in Louisville, Colorado, designs and manufactures advanced spacecraft, space vehicles, rocket motors and spacecraft subsystems and components for the US Government, commercial customers as well as for the international market.  SNC Space Systems has more than 25 years of space heritage in space and has participated in over 400 successful space missions through the delivery of over 4,000 systems, subsystems and components.  During its history, SNC Space Systems has concluded over 70 programs for NASA and hundreds for more than 50 other clients globally. For more information about SS visit www.sncspace.com.

Media Contact: [email protected] or Krystal Scordo at 720-407-3192.

About Sierra Nevada Corporation
Sierra Nevada Corporation (SNC) is one of America’s fastest growing private companies based on its significant expansion and reputation for rapid, innovative, and agile technology solutions in electronics, aerospace, avionics, space, propulsion, micro-satellite, aircraft, communications systems and solar energy. Under the leadership of CEO Fatih Ozmen and President Eren Ozmen, SNC employs over 2,500 people in 32 locations in 17 states. SNC’s six unique business areas are dedicated to providing leading-edge solutions to SNC’s dynamic customer base.

SNC is also the Top Woman-Owned Federal Contractor in the United States. Over the last 30 years under the Ozmen’s leadership, SNC has remained focused on providing its customers the very best in diversified technologies to meet their needs and has a strong and proven track record of success. The company continues to focus its growth on the commercial sector through internal advancements and outside acquisitions, including the emerging markets of renewable energy, telemedicine, nanotechnology, cyber and net-centric operations. For more information on SNC visit www.sncorp.com.

Media Contact: [email protected] or Julie Ardito at 775-849-6968.
« Last Edit: 01/31/2013 05:18 am by Confusador »

Offline yg1968

« Reply #73 on: 01/31/2013 02:36 am »
Here is the same press release in a pdf document:
http://www.sncorp.com/pdfs/SNC_news/pr_13/snc_lm_partnership.pdf

Offline Lee Jay

• Elite Veteran
  • Global Moderator
  • Liked: 3603
  • Likes Given: 327
« Reply #74 on: 01/31/2013 03:02 am »
Jeff Foust ‏@jeff_foust

Voss: Dream Chaser tests will take place from altitude of 12,000 feet; reach peak speeds of 300 knots before landing at 180 knots.

That's 12,000 AGL, which is about 14,000 MSL.

Offline john smith 19

• Everyplaceelse
  • Liked: 2430
  • Likes Given: 13606
« Reply #75 on: 01/31/2013 07:15 am »

SPARKS, Nev., – January 30, 2013 – Sierra Nevada Corporation’s (SNC) Space Systems is pleased to announce Lockheed Martin Space Systems Company of Littleton, Colo., is joining the SNC Dream Chaser® team.  Lockheed Martin will be an exclusive partner to SNC on NASA's Certification Products Contract (CPC) and has been competitively selected to build the composite structure for the Dream Chaser at NASA’s Michoud Assembly Facility in New Orleans, La. 

The composite structure for the Dream Chaser flight test vehicle is being built under the SNC $212.5 million Space Act Agreement for the NASA Commercial Crew Integrated Capability Program. This effort leverages the extensive Lockheed Martin experience in building composite structures for spacecraft and high performance aircraft.   With the addition of Lockheed Martin as a partner on the Dream Chaser program, SNC is now working with partner organizations in over 15 states on NASA's Commercial Crew Integrated Capability program.

I wish SNC every success but whenever space systems, Lockheed Martin and the word "composites" (especially in complex shapes) come together there's only 1 thing on my mind.

The X33 LH2 tank.  :(

I hope they learned many lessons from that exercise. Time will tell.

MCT ITS BFR SS. The worlds first Methane fueled FFSC engined CFRP SS structure A380 sized aerospaceplane tail sitter capable of Earth & Mars atmospheric flight.First flight to Mars by end of 2022 TBC. T&C apply. Trust nothing. Run your own #s "Extraordinary claims require extraordinary proof" R. Simberg."Competitve" means cheaper ¬cheap SCramjet proposed 1956. First +ve thrust 2004. US R&D spend to date > $10Bn. #deployed designs. Zero.

Offline adrianwyard

• Liked: 322
  • Likes Given: 367
« Reply #76 on: 01/31/2013 04:31 pm »
That's a little bit unfair. Even if we set aside the fact that the X-33 tank problems were far more than a decade ago, and word on the street is such tanks can be made now, LM aren't being asked to build cryogenic-temp, pressurized structures here.

I'm curious to see if this relationship remains as narrow in scope. For all SNCs capabilities, LM have a lot of relevant experience they could benefit from, e.g. building crewed vehicles.
« Last Edit: 01/31/2013 05:26 pm by adrianwyard »

Offline Elmar Moelzer

• Liked: 849
  • Likes Given: 1062
« Reply #77 on: 01/31/2013 11:14 pm »

SPARKS, Nev., – January 30, 2013 – Sierra Nevada Corporation’s (SNC) Space Systems is pleased to announce Lockheed Martin Space Systems Company of Littleton, Colo., is joining the SNC Dream Chaser® team.  Lockheed Martin will be an exclusive partner to SNC on NASA's Certification Products Contract (CPC) and has been competitively selected to build the composite structure for the Dream Chaser at NASA’s Michoud Assembly Facility in New Orleans, La. 

I wish SNC every success but whenever space systems, Lockheed Martin and the word "composites" (especially in complex shapes) come together there's only 1 thing on my mind.

The X33 LH2 tank.  :(

I hope they learned many lessons from that exercise. Time will tell.

Heheh, I was thinking the same thing. Though from what was seen with the recent Orion test vehicle, they dont have more luck with aluminium, either ;)

Offline Rocket Science

• NASA Educator Astronaut Candidate Applicant 2002
  • Liked: 4548
  • Likes Given: 13523
« Reply #78 on: 02/01/2013 12:01 am »
LM has the large autoclaves that are required to produce the large composite primary structures required for DC. As for Boeing I feel they have bigger issues to deal with at this point in time for which I hope they overcome quickly...
"The laws of physics are unforgiving"
~Rob: Physics instructor, Aviator

Offline Robotbeat

• Minnesota
  • Liked: 25240
  • Likes Given: 12115
« Reply #79 on: 02/01/2013 12:43 am »
LM has the large autoclaves that are required to produce the large composite primary structures required for DC. As for Boeing I feel they have bigger issues to deal with at this point in time for which I hope they overcome quickly...
Boeing is an enormous organization. I'm pretty darned sure they don't need their whole workforce focused on freaking batteries.
Chris  Whoever loves correction loves knowledge, but he who hates reproof is stupid.

To the maximum extent practicable, the Federal Government shall plan missions to accommodate the space transportation services capabilities of United States commercial providers. US law http://goo.gl/YZYNt0

Advertisement NovaTech
Advertisement Northrop Grumman
Advertisement
Advertisement Margaritaville Beach Resort South Padre Island
Advertisement Brady Kenniston
Advertisement NextSpaceflight
Advertisement Nathan Barker Photography