Author Topic: Why Fly?  (Read 2678 times)

Offline Austin

• Extreme Veteran
  • Virginia
  • Liked: 0
  • Likes Given: 0
Why Fly?
« on: 08/04/2006 10:25 pm »

mlorrey - 4/8/2006  11:43 AM

At about the same time, then-Senator Walter Mondale (D-Luddite), spoke in opposition to shuttle and space stations, in the Senate against "spending billions in space, when there are many social ills here on earth they could be spent on," as if there are malls in space that astronauts go on massive shopping sprees in....

Someone asked me that same question the other day:  Is spaceflight worth it (literally) with all of the "social ills" that plague our planet?  I emphatically said YES for a number of reasons, namely:

The environment of microgravity could yield medicinal cures to a number of incurable diseases (cancer, AIDS, etc.)

A space program is simply important from a national defense perspective.  With more countries setting their sights on space (China is also aiming for the moon)  those that do not have this technological ability will be at a disadvantage in terms of national security.

Several leading scientists have recently begun to question whether or not or existence on Earth is likely -- even in the next hundred years, taking into account the possibility of nuclear war, environmental threats, plagues/diseases, etc., and that for this reason alone, it is critical that we begin to colonize space and other planets

Although not a scientific reason, I also believe in space travel for the romance of it.  To quote fallen Challenger Astronaut Ron McNair:  "It is part of man's nature to explore."  I couldn't agree more.

Although this board is not likely to yield unbiased responses, I am curious to hear other peoples' thoughts as to why you (fellow space enthusiasts) believe that the space program is important in the face of so many problems here at "home."

Offline punkboi

• Extreme Veteran
RE: Why Fly?
« Reply #1 on: 08/04/2006 10:35 pm »

Austin - 4/8/2006 3:12 PM

Although this board is not likely to yield unbiased responses, I am curious to hear other peoples' thoughts as to why you (fellow space enthusiasts) believe that the space program is important in the face of so many problems here at "home."

"We can continue to try and clean up the gutters all over the world and spend all of our resources looking at just the dirty spots and trying to make them clean. Or we can lift our eyes up and look into the skies and move forward in an evolutionary way."

Buzz Aldrin

Personally, my answer would involve the long, LOOONG-term future: This planet is gonna be swallowed up by the Sun within 5 billion years...and we can either be incinerated along with this rock...or begin the steps of moving out to space and continuing the survival of our species now (you know something's wrong when a billion years have passed and we STILL haven't been to Mars, haha).  What's the point of helping people if we're all screwed over at the end, anyway?

'Kay, that's my sick, twisted answer to "why fly". :)

Offline vt_hokie

• Hazlet, NJ
  • Liked: 118
  • Likes Given: 436
« Reply #2 on: 08/04/2006 10:46 pm »
If we decide to wait until all of the social problems on this planet are solved before we explore space, we will never get off the ground.  On the other hand, if we allow our economy here in the United States to continue to decline, and suffer a lasting loss in overall prosperity, this country's leadership will become a distant memory like that of the Roman or Greek empire, or so many others.  So, I think it is important that this country not neglect domestic issues if it is to remain a leader in science and technology.

Offline hyper_snyper

• Elite Veteran
  • Liked: 1
  • Likes Given: 22
Re: Why Fly?
« Reply #3 on: 08/04/2006 10:50 pm »
Neil deGrasse Tyson's keynote address at the Goddard Memorial Dinner back in April of 2005 gave some specific examples as to how our investment in space exploration has really paid off.  It was the best such rationale I've ever heard.  It's on this page if you want to see it.  

One that stuck out in my mind was the computer algorithms for analyzing pictures returned from Hubble have been used to analyze tumor scan images.  Who knows how many lives have been saved there.  The point is that you don't invest on services that directly benefit our society.  You invest in the sciences in general, which include space exploration.  And the rewards will trickle down in ways you couldn't possibly imagine if you had done otherwise.  This cross pollenation is what really spurs progress.

Offline psloss

• Veteran armchair spectator
  • Liked: 4046
  • Likes Given: 2089
« Reply #4 on: 08/04/2006 11:56 pm »
hyper_snyper - 4/8/2006  6:37 PM

Neil deGrasse Tyson's keynote address at the Goddard Memorial Dinner back in April of 2005 gave some specific examples as to how our investment in space exploration has really paid off.  It was the best such rationale I've ever heard.  It's on this page if you want to see it.
I caught one of his televised speeches back in the mid-90s; I wish I could find a link to the text, but it was a thought piece along the lines of "what projects have there been in history in which money was no object?"  I've seen bits of other speeches he's done and they're interesting presentations to reflect on...

Offline TyMoore

• Veteran
  • Eureka, CA, USA
  • Liked: 3
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #5 on: 08/05/2006 08:09 am »
Personally,

I feel that eventually we can solve most of the problems plaguing humanity by suitable applications of space resources, primarily energy and material. The most important resource to all of humanity will be energy, whether it is through solar power satellites, advanced nuclear power, or some other as yet undiscovered method...I feel that most of the worlds problems boil down to simply meeting the basics: food to eat, shelter to live, and power for light and heat. All else is negotiable as far as the average human is concerned. Space industrialization has the potential to meet most of these demands by providing materials for building solar power satellites. Given sufficient supplies of cheap and clean energy, many things become possible: universal recycling of all materials in a single waste stream; desalination of sea water for agriculture and human consumption; creation of agricultural stations just outside of cities to provide a means to process sewage streams back into food stuffs; and creating synthetic fuels for transportation.

Ultimately though, the ultimate disposition of Earth may be irrelevent. Once humanity begins to expand into the solar system and is free to develop as it wishes, then it seems logical to think that Earth will become a cultural and technological 'backwater' and the real direction the species takes will probably be many, starting with colonies in the asteroids.  We will probably end up going to the stars not as a mission launched from a politically united Earth, but rather from a colony on the Moon, Mars, or perhaps one of the asteroids, as a technology demonstrator, or possibly as a risky commercial venture, or perhaps even a "Maverick" simply wishing to go...humanity's destiny will be determined by those with the itchy feet and the will to roam.

Offline Austin

• Extreme Veteran
  • Virginia
« Reply #6 on: 08/05/2006 05:41 pm »
Thanks to all for the replies.  I was unaware of some benefits that were introduced here.  The computer algorithms for tumor imaging and anlysis from Hubble is a huge benefit.  And great post, Dean on the harnessing of the sun's energy via solar satellites.  Thanks, Philip for the Neil deGrasse Tyson link.  All very much appreciated.

Sometimes, I just like to have more info in my arsenal of support for space exploration so that I can appear remotely knowledgeable the next time I argure in defense of the program.

Offline PlanetStorm

• Veteran
  • England
  • Liked: 11
  • Likes Given: 4
« Reply #7 on: 08/05/2006 06:38 pm »

There are so many good reasons to fly and yet, for me, there is only really one compelling one, and unfortunately I doubt that it would persuade anyone to part with hard cash to make it happen. But here it is anyway:

I look up at the night sky and the magisterial, breath-taking, beautiful, mystery of it calls me.

I am not a religious person at all, but looking at the night sky for me is a profound experience.  I read a science fiction book many years ago – I can’t remember its name or who wrote it, and it was not particularly memorable in any respect - bar one. It had a passage in it about a human traveller finding a recording of an alien woman from an ancient, vanished civilisation, and she was singing. It was lyrical and beautiful and heart rending, and what was she singing for? She was singing for the stars, and I know exactly how she felt.

Offline kraisee

• Expert
  • Liked: 807
  • Likes Given: 40
« Reply #8 on: 08/05/2006 06:48 pm »
For me it is the potential.

The potential new technology we can't imagine today.
The potential for greater and broader understanding in many different fields of human endeavour.
The potential to discover new resources which can benefit us all.
The potential to open up our universe for exploration.
The potential to colonize new places, and protect our species from eventual extinction events here on Earth.
The potential to meet another race out there eventually.
The potential to inspire the next generation.
The potential to gather together hostile countries to join forces in the persuit of a greater, shared goal.
The potential to realise our dreams.

And potentially a lot more too.

Ross.
"The meek shall inherit the Earth -- the rest of us will go to the stars"
-Robert A. Heinlein

Offline simonbp

• Science Guy
  • Liked: 314
  • Likes Given: 183
« Reply #9 on: 08/05/2006 11:58 pm »
Research is what I'm doing when I don't know what I'm doing.
-Wernher von Braun

(Very ironically on the front of the Von Braun Research Hall in Huntsville :) )

Simon ;)

Tags:

Advertisement NovaTech
Advertisement Northrop Grumman
Advertisement
Advertisement Margaritaville Beach Resort South Padre Island
Advertisement Brady Kenniston
Advertisement NextSpaceflight
Advertisement Nathan Barker Photography