Author Topic: SpaceX F9 : Starlink 4-20 & Varuna : CCSFS SLC-40 : 4/5 Sep 2022 (02:09 UTC)  (Read 44001 times)

Offline zubenelgenubi

• Global Moderator
  • Arc to Arcturus, then Spike to Spica
  • Sometimes it feels like Trantor in the time of Hari Seldon
  • Liked: 7405
  • Likes Given: 72501
Thread for the Starlink 4-20 group launch.

The rideshare is Sherpa-LTC2, with sole hosted payload Varuna-TDM.
Sherpa-LTC2
Varuna-TDM

NSF Threads for Starlink 4-20: Discussion

Launch September 5, 2022, 02:09 UTC (September 4, 10:09 pm EDT), from Canaveral SLC-40, on booster 1052-7.  First stage will land aboard Just Read the Instructions.

Payload 50 Starlink satellites to 53.2 degree inclination on a northeastern trajectory.  Initial orbit of 304 x 316 km

Starlink v1.5 satellite mass is now about 300kg after the addition of laser ISL terminals.

Please use the Starlink Discussion Thread for all general discussion on Starlink.

Check the Starlink Index Thread for links to more Starlink information.

From an early Starlink mission's Press Kit:
Each Starlink satellite weights approximately 260 kg and features a compact, flat-panel design that minimizes volume, allowing for a dense launch stack to take full advantage of Falcon 9’s launch capabilities. With four powerful phased array and two parabolic antennas on each satellite ... At end of their life cycle, the satellites will utilize their on-board propulsion system to deorbit over the course of a few months. In the unlikely event their propulsion system becomes inoperable, the satellites will burn up in Earth’s atmosphere within 1-5 years, significantly less than the hundreds or thousands of years required at higher altitudes. Further, Starlink components are designed for full demisability.

Starlink is targeting service to near global coverage of the populated world by 2021. Additional information on the system can be found at starlink.com.

L2 SpaceX:
https://forum.nasaspaceflight.com/index.php?board=60.0
« Last Edit: 09/04/2022 02:53 am by zubenelgenubi »
Support your local planetarium! (COVID-panic and forward: Now more than ever.) My current avatar is saying "i wants to go uppies!" Yes, there are God-given rights. Do you wish to gainsay the Declaration of Independence?

Offline zubenelgenubi

• Global Moderator
Cross-post:
Added a bunch of upcoming SpaceX launches to NextSpaceflight and some booster assignments. https://nextspaceflight.com/launches/agency/upcoming/1/

<snip>
Starlink Group 4-20 by the end of the month [June] (again betting on 39A but don't have confirmation on pads for [any] of these missions...well, except for the Vandy ones I guess lol).

NextSpaceFlight [May 20]

No booster assignment yet for Starlink 4-20--which one might it be?

Rotating forward the boosters by oldest available after previous recovery, but not already assigned, gives us: 1062.7 (April 29), 1073.2 (May 14), 1052.6 (May 18), and perhaps 1061.9 (May 25).
<snip>
And then in July and sort of in this order:
<snip>
Starlink Group 4-21 from Florida (I'd say pad 40 is likely) using B1058-13
<snip>
Starlink Group 4-25 from Florida (betting all my money on pad 40 for this one) using B1051-13

1062.7 may be held back for SES-22, to give an "external" customer a lower-reuse booster.

Edit May 26:
Quote from: Alexphysics tweet
So remember that thing about B1049-11 being expended for Nilesat 301? Well, that has changed. This booster surely likes to change missions. Nilesat 301 is now launching on B1062-7 which previously flew on Starlink Group 4-16 in late April.
1073.2 may be held back for SES-22, to give an external customer a lower-reuse booster.

Oh I forgot... B1069-2 is flying on Starlink Group 4-26. NET August from Florida.

1073.2?
Edit May 26: 1052.6?

Static Fire for the above?  My predictions.

No: 1052.6, 1061.9, 1062.7, 1073.2

No Static Fire means the booster is first and only transported to the pad, with payload stacked, a day or less before liftoff.

Edited

Edit June 1: Launch NET September.  First stage deductions are moot until closer to new launch date.
« Last Edit: 06/10/2022 07:28 pm by zubenelgenubi »
Support your local planetarium! (COVID-panic and forward: Now more than ever.) My current avatar is saying "i wants to go uppies!" Yes, there are God-given rights. Do you wish to gainsay the Declaration of Independence?

Offline zubenelgenubi

• Global Moderator
NextSpaceFlight [June 1]
Launch NET September

If launch is in September, given that LC-39A will likely be occupied by the launch campaigns for Crew-5 and Psyche, then I suggest this launch will be from SLC-40.

Offline zubenelgenubi

• Global Moderator
Possible rideshare?  ODAR file attached with original post.
Saw this FCC filing (SES-MOD-20220614-00645) for communication with Varuna spacecraft (0279-EX-CN-2022), which turns out to be the Sherpa-LTC that's scheduled to fly on a Starlink rideshare.  It's a V-band tech demo for Boeing, built by Astro Digital, with the Sherpa serving as the body of the satellite.  It will climb to the ~1050km, 54 degree orbit approved for the Boeing V-band constellation and be used for testing and demos.  The ODAR filed [on March 15] gave an August launch date and deployment at 280km [circular], don't know if that is still the current plan.
« Last Edit: 06/17/2022 02:01 am by zubenelgenubi »

Offline SPKirsch

• Germany
  • Liked: 789
  • Likes Given: 670
Starlink 4-20, operations start NET August 24, northeastern trajectory:
1248-EX-ST-2022
Mission 1782 Starlink Group 4-20 from Cape Canaveral FL at LC-40 CCAFS or LC-39a at KSC
ASDS  North  32  36  46   West  75  50  33
NET late August

Offline mlindner

• Software Engineer
  • Space Capitalist
  • Silicon Valley, CA
  • Liked: 2204
  • Likes Given: 818
Did 4-20 get skipped? I was wondering as 4-2 also got skipped.
« Last Edit: 08/03/2022 06:20 pm by zubenelgenubi »
LEO is the ocean, not an island (let alone a continent). We create cruise liners to ride the oceans, not artificial islands in the middle of them. We need a physical place, which has physical resources, to make our future out there.

Offline zubenelgenubi

• Global Moderator
Yes and yes.

Why 4-20 was skipped?  I don't know that we know, yet.

Edit: Same for 4-23 and 4-24.
« Last Edit: 08/01/2022 09:36 pm by zubenelgenubi »

Offline zubenelgenubi

• Global Moderator
By circumstantial evidence, I'm cross-posting here:
One of the upcoming Starlink rideshare payloads

https://spaceflight.com/good-vibes-next-propulsive-sherpa-clears-vibration-testing/
[August 1]
Our next Sherpa orbital transfer vehicle is closer to launch!

Our chemical propulsion OTV, Sherpa-LTC, which will fly on an upcoming Starlink mission, recently underwent rigorous vibration testing at NTS’s Santa Clarita facility.
<snip>
Next, the Benchmark Space Systems’ Polaris propulsion subsystem successfully underwent environmental tests and integrated hotfire testing with the Command and Control System. Subsequently the team completed our Integration Readiness Review. The system is now undergoing final integration for flight at Spaceflight’s new headquarters.

Earlier this year:
Possible rideshare?  ODAR file attached with original post.
Saw this FCC filing (SES-MOD-20220614-00645) for communication with Varuna spacecraft (0279-EX-CN-2022), which turns out to be the Sherpa-LTC that's scheduled to fly on a Starlink rideshare.  It's a V-band tech demo for Boeing, built by Astro Digital, with the Sherpa serving as the body of the satellite.  It will climb to the ~1050km, 54 degree orbit approved for the Boeing V-band constellation and be used for testing and demos.  The ODAR filed [on March 15] gave an August launch date and deployment at 280km [circular], don't know if that is still the current plan.

Offline zubenelgenubi

• Global Moderator
First stage change for Starlink 4-26, according to NextSpaceFlight, updated August 3.
It's now 1073.3.

1069.2 will now launch Starlink 4-20 from SLC-40, same source.

SpaceX will most likely Static Fire this first stage at the pad directly before launch.

Edit August 25: 1069.2 Static Fire for use on Starlink 4-23.
« Last Edit: 08/25/2022 02:31 pm by zubenelgenubi »

Offline butters

• Liked: 1693
  • Likes Given: 598
First stage change for Starlink 4-26, according to NextSpaceFlight, updated August 3.
It's now 1073.3.

1069.2 will now launch Starlink 4-20, same source.
Of course. If SpaceX can't do Booster 4 with Ship 20, then they'll do Starlink 4-20 on B1069. Why didn't we see this coming?

Online AmigaClone

Yes and yes.

Why 4-20 was skipped?  I don't know that we know, yet.

Edit: Same for 4-23 and 4-24.

My speculation is that the mission designation is assigned when planning for that mission starts, much like NASA did in the shuttle era. Back then not all missions launched in order.

It is possible that part of the payload for 4-2, 4-20, 4-23, and 4-24 is not standard Starlinks v1.5. Whether that involves some modified Starlinks on those missions that were delayed, or there might be rideshares involved.

There also could have been some issues detected with the satellites assigned to those missions and SpaceX decided to repair them.

Offline gongora

• Global Moderator
  • US
  • Liked: 13885
  • Likes Given: 5933
Varuna is a test spacecraft for Boeing that is based on a Spaceflight Sherpa LTC vehicle.  It will be used for V-band communications testing and demonstrations.  Expected launch will be on a Starlink Group 4 rideshare in 2022.
« Last Edit: 08/08/2022 02:42 pm by gongora »

Offline gongora

• Global Moderator
  • US
https://twitter.com/SpaceflightInc/status/1555262833583161345
The team from @aerothreads is here and are doing incredible work, hand-sewing the heat shield for our next Sherpa-LTC mission. Putting the "craft" in space craft - incredibly talented ladies!

Offline gongora

• Global Moderator
  • US
SPACEFLIGHT INC. PREPARES PROPULSIVE SHERPA OTV TO LAUNCH ON UPCOMING STARLINK MISSION
By Jodi Sorensen

Once deployed from the rocket, the chemical propulsion OTV will ignite and transport a customer payload from 310km circular orbit to a 1,000km orbit

SEATTLE/Logan, UT. – August 8, 2022 – Spaceflight Inc., the leading global launch services provider, today announced it shipped the fully integrated Sherpa-LTC orbital transfer vehicle (OTV) and customer payload to Cape Canaveral to launch aboard an upcoming Starlink mission scheduled for next month. The high-thrust propulsive Sherpa will deploy from SpaceX’s Falcon 9 targeting a 310-kilometer circular orbit, before igniting and transporting an undisclosed customer payload, booked through Astro Digital, to a 1,000-kilometer circular orbit.

Sherpa-LTC features a bi-propellant, green propulsion subsystem utilizing Benchmark Space Systems’ new Polaris propulsion technology. The revolutionary OTV provides a low-cost, rapid orbital transfer for many sizes of small spacecraft.

“Sherpa-LTC’s transportation capabilities coupled with the reliability and consistency of Starlink missions create an ideal solution for the customer’s unique mission needs,” said Curt Blake, CEO and president of Spaceflight. “Our OTV eliminates the barriers that make it more challenging for spacecraft to access uncommon orbits in LEO and beyond. We’re eager to continue to provide innovative, cost-effective, and dependable in-space transportation services for our customers and partners like Astro Digital.”

Spaceflight’s customer and technology partner on this mission, Astro Digital, designed and manufactured the payload launching on Sherpa-LTC, and provided the command and control system known as Makalu, for the Sherpa OTV.

“Astro Digital has been proud to partner with Spaceflight’s Sherpa product line, providing command and control solutions for a wide range of OTVs,” said Jack Cohen, program manager of Astro Digital’s Makalu OTV bus platform flown on Sherpa-LTE1 and Sherpa-AC1.

“We enjoy collaborative and innovative missions, so we were eager to support this customer in developing the payload and finding a cost-effective launch option to a higher altitude,” said Chris Biddy, CEO and co-founder of Astro Digital. “To ensure mission success, we turned to Spaceflight’s Sherpa OTVs to deliver the customization needed. This approach to launch enabled us to launch our customer’s payload in a timely manner exactly where they want.”

Sherpa-LTC is the fourth iteration of Spaceflight’s Sherpa OTV program and will be its fifth vehicle to launch. The OTV’s modular design enables Spaceflight to adapt its features to accommodate specific customer needs, providing customizable in-space transportation services that get spacecraft to their target destinations in a cost-effective and timely manner.

In 2021, Spaceflight launched three Sherpa OTVs – Sherpa-FX1, Sherpa-FX2 and Sherpa-LTE1 – that successfully carried 50 spacecraft in total to orbit. Sherpa-AC, which made its debut on SpaceX’s Transporter 5 mission in May 2022, carried two hosted payloads to their desired orbital destinations.

Following this Starlink mission, Spaceflight will have successfully launched more than 550 spacecraft across more than 50 missions. Its next notable OTV mission will take place in mid-2023, launching Spaceflight’s Sherpa-ES, a bipropellant, high delta-V OTV, aboard the much-anticipated lunar slingshot mission, GEO Pathfinder.

Offline zubenelgenubi

• Global Moderator
Cross-post; September launch; circumstantial evidence intensifies; but there could be two September Group 4 Starlink plus rideshares launches planned?
SPACEFLIGHT INC. PREPARES PROPULSIVE SHERPA OTV TO LAUNCH ON UPCOMING STARLINK MISSION
By Jodi Sorensen

Once deployed from the rocket, the chemical propulsion OTV will ignite and transport a customer payload from 310km circular orbit to a 1,000km orbit

SEATTLE/Logan, UT. – August 8, 2022 – Spaceflight Inc., the leading global launch services provider, today announced it shipped the fully integrated Sherpa-LTC orbital transfer vehicle (OTV) and customer payload to Cape Canaveral to launch aboard an upcoming Starlink mission scheduled for next month. The high-thrust propulsive Sherpa will deploy from SpaceX’s Falcon 9 targeting a 310-kilometer circular orbit, before igniting and transporting an undisclosed customer payload, booked through Astro Digital, to a 1,000-kilometer circular orbit.

Sherpa-LTC features a bi-propellant, green propulsion subsystem utilizing Benchmark Space Systems’ new Polaris propulsion technology. The revolutionary OTV provides a low-cost, rapid orbital transfer for many sizes of small spacecraft.

“Sherpa-LTC’s transportation capabilities coupled with the reliability and consistency of Starlink missions create an ideal solution for the customer’s unique mission needs,” said Curt Blake, CEO and president of Spaceflight. “Our OTV eliminates the barriers that make it more challenging for spacecraft to access uncommon orbits in LEO and beyond. We’re eager to continue to provide innovative, cost-effective, and dependable in-space transportation services for our customers and partners like Astro Digital.”

Spaceflight’s customer and technology partner on this mission, Astro Digital, designed and manufactured the payload launching on Sherpa-LTC, and provided the command and control system known as Makalu, for the Sherpa OTV.

“Astro Digital has been proud to partner with Spaceflight’s Sherpa product line, providing command and control solutions for a wide range of OTVs,” said Jack Cohen, program manager of Astro Digital’s Makalu OTV bus platform flown on Sherpa-LTE1 and Sherpa-AC1.

“We enjoy collaborative and innovative missions, so we were eager to support this customer in developing the payload and finding a cost-effective launch option to a higher altitude,” said Chris Biddy, CEO and co-founder of Astro Digital. “To ensure mission success, we turned to Spaceflight’s Sherpa OTVs to deliver the customization needed. This approach to launch enabled us to launch our customer’s payload in a timely manner exactly where they want.”

Sherpa-LTC is the fourth iteration of Spaceflight’s Sherpa OTV program and will be its fifth vehicle to launch. The OTV’s modular design enables Spaceflight to adapt its features to accommodate specific customer needs, providing customizable in-space transportation services that get spacecraft to their target destinations in a cost-effective and timely manner.

In 2021, Spaceflight launched three Sherpa OTVs – Sherpa-FX1, Sherpa-FX2 and Sherpa-LTE1 – that successfully carried 50 spacecraft in total to orbit. Sherpa-AC, which made its debut on SpaceX’s Transporter 5 mission in May 2022, carried two hosted payloads to their desired orbital destinations.

Following this Starlink mission, Spaceflight will have successfully launched more than 550 spacecraft across more than 50 missions. Its next notable OTV mission will take place in mid-2023, launching Spaceflight’s Sherpa-ES, a bipropellant, high delta-V OTV, aboard the much-anticipated lunar slingshot mission, GEO Pathfinder.
« Last Edit: 08/08/2022 10:11 pm by zubenelgenubi »

Offline gongora

• Global Moderator
  • US
I expect them [BlueWalker 3 and Varuna] to be on separate launches.  I don't know that for sure.
« Last Edit: 08/12/2022 11:58 pm by zubenelgenubi »

Offline zubenelgenubi

• Global Moderator
I expect them to be on separate launches.  I don't know that for sure.
Agreed.
I amended my cross-post, adding the possibility that there could be two September Group 4 Starlink plus rideshares launches.

Offline zubenelgenubi

• Global Moderator
The end if the SFN webcast of the August 10 UTC launch of Starlink 4-26 gave mention of the other upcoming August Starlink launches.  Starlink 4-20 was not on the list.  Therefore, it must be NET the beginning of September.

This launch could be in the very first days of next month, if SpaceX continues to launch as soon as possible.  September 1 is 13 16 days after August 19 16.

Attached is a screencap.

Edited August 11
« Last Edit: 08/12/2022 01:22 am by zubenelgenubi »

Offline crandles57

• Sychdyn
  • Liked: 431
  • Likes Given: 136
The end if the SFN webcast of the August 10 UTC launch of Starlink 4-26 gave mention of the other upcoming August Starlink launches.  Starlink 4-20 was not on the list.  Therefore, it must be NET the beginning of September.

Maybe they (SpaceX & Range) are just too unsure for a date to be confirmed yet? If 4-27 is delayed and Artemis is not then there wouldn't be an available slot.

But if 4-27 launches 16 Aug and Artemis delay then perhaps there is time for another SpaceX launch in August.

If 4-27 launches 16 Aug and no Artemis delay then a record equalling 8 day turnaround is Aug 24. Perhaps that is too close to Artemis?

Offline zubenelgenubi

• Global Moderator
Cross-post:
https://twitter.com/JasonRainbow/status/1557761031233060870
Jason Rainbow @JasonRainbow
Spaceflight's Sherpa-LTC2 orbital transfer vehicle is on its way to Cape Canaveral for a second attempt to debut the chemically powered space tug on a SpaceX launch - SpaceNews

https://spacenews.com/spaceflights-chemically-powered-space-tug-heads-for-launch/ [Aug 11]

LOGAN, Utah — Spaceflight shipped its Sherpa-LTC2 orbital transfer vehicle (OTV) Aug. 10 to Cape Canaveral in Florida, where it will make a second attempt to debut the chemically powered space tug on a SpaceX launch.
Spaceflight CEO Curt Blake said Sherpa-LTC2 has “gone through all kinds of checks to get things right” ahead of its launch in September.

Ahead of its four-to-five-day journey via truck from Seattle to Cape Canaveral, the OTV was integrated with a payload for Boeing’s Varuna Technology Demonstration Mission (Varuna-TDM). The demonstrator aims to test V-band communications for a proposed constellation of 147 non-geostationary broadband satellites.
SpaceX is slated to launch the OTV as part of a mission to deploy a batch of Starlink broadband satellites that Spaceflight expects will launch to low Earth orbit this fall.

If the mission goes according to plan, the Sherpa-LTC2 will deploy from Falcon 9 around 310 kilometers above the Earth, from where the OTV will ignite and transport its customer payload to a 1,000-kilometer low Earth orbit.
« Last Edit: 08/12/2022 11:50 pm by zubenelgenubi »

Offline zubenelgenubi

• Global Moderator
Cross-post:
If this is of any use... order of launches for August and first half of September was supposed to be

KPLO (already launched)
Starlink 4-26 (already launched)
Starlink 3-3 (currently scheduled for August 12th)
Starlink 4-27 (currently scheduled for August 16th)
Starlink 3-4
Starlink 4-23 (currently scheduled for August 24th)
Starlink 4-20
Starlink 4-2

I was and I'm still expecting 3-4 and 4-20 to be on for this month. Likely to have 3-4 around the 20th +- a couple of days and 4-20 could likely be anywhere from August 25th to 31st given pad turnaround times. But those are just guesses based on the expectation of those two happening this month. There's definitely room in the schedule for them.

Offline zubenelgenubi

• Global Moderator
Now that we know that, as gongora surmised, BlueWalker 3 is on Starlink 4-2, and Varuna-TDM is not, what September Starlink Group 4 flight will the Sherpa/Varuna be on?

Might Starlink 4-20 also be a rideshare?

Or, might Starlink 4-24 also be a rideshare and brought forward from December?
« Last Edit: 08/13/2022 12:26 am by zubenelgenubi »

Online AmigaClone

Now that we know that, as gongora surmised, BlueWalker 3 is on Starlink 4-2, and Varuna-TDM is not, what September Starlink Group 4 flight will the Sherpa/Varuna be on?

Might Starlink 4-20 also be a rideshare?

Or, might Starlink 4-24 also be a rideshare and brought forward from December?

I can see the possibility of both  Starlink 4-20 and  Starlink 4-24 being rideshare missions, one launching in September, the other one later this year

Offline zubenelgenubi

• Global Moderator
SFN Launch Schedule update, August 15:
Starlink 4-20 launch early September.

Offline zubenelgenubi

• Global Moderator
SFN Launch Schedule update, August 15:
Starlink 4-20 launch early September.
Additional information from the same source, same date:
Rideshare is Sherpa-LTC2, with sole hosted payload Varuna-TDM.

There will be a reduction in the number of Starlink satellites orbited, but how many less has not yet been announced.

Also, separate launch threads merged.
« Last Edit: 08/16/2022 05:57 am by zubenelgenubi »

Offline gongora

• Global Moderator
  • US
Astro Digital US, Inc. (“Astro Digital”) requests special temporary authority (“STA”)1 for a period of 30 days to communicate with the Varuna spacecraft (ELS File No. 0279-EX-CN-2022)2, which is owned and controlled by The Boeing Company (“Boeing”), commencing on the deployment of the satellite, which is presently scheduled for September 4, 2022. Astro Digital is providing TT&C ground station support for the Varuna mission.

Offline zubenelgenubi

• Global Moderator
My suggestion for the 4-20 mascot: Tree Hugger, 🌳 from "My Little Pony: Friendship Is Magic."

Here she is in anthro form.
« Last Edit: 08/20/2022 04:36 pm by zubenelgenubi »

Offline zubenelgenubi

• Global Moderator
Ben Cooper's Launch Photography Viewing Guide, updated August 19:
A Falcon 9 will launch a Starlink batch from pad 40 on September 4.

Astro Digital US, Inc. (“Astro Digital”) requests special temporary authority (“STA”)1 for a period of 30 days to communicate with the Varuna spacecraft (ELS File No. 0279-EX-CN-2022)2, which is owned and controlled by The Boeing Company (“Boeing”), commencing on the deployment of the satellite, which is presently scheduled for September 4, 2022. Astro Digital is providing TT&C ground station support for the Varuna mission.

Offline zubenelgenubi

• Global Moderator
SFN Launch Schedule update, August 22:
Starlink 4-20 launches September 5 00:32 UTC = September 4 8:32 pm EDT.

Offline zubenelgenubi

• Global Moderator
August 25; first stage change for Starlink 4-23:
Apparently SpaceX pulled out a last minute change of booster. This is now B1069-2, explains why they're doing the static fire. 9 new engines for this booster.

Assuming simple swap, the first stage for Starlink 4-20 is now 1067.6.

I think they just chose to use 69 since it was probably already at 40 undergoing processing for 4-20. 4-23 was originally scheduled to fly from 39A.

NextSpaceFlight confirms swap, updated August 25.

Edited
« Last Edit: 08/25/2022 10:58 pm by zubenelgenubi »

Offline zubenelgenubi

• Global Moderator
Is a pad swap implied?

The pad designation for Starlink 4-20 disappeared from Ben Cooper's Launch Photography Viewing Guide, updated August 25?:
A Falcon 9 will launch a Starlink batch on September 4 at 8:32pm EDT.

If 1067.6 had already been delivered to LC-39A, might this launch move there to keep up the launch campaign pace?

The launch time intrudes into the launch window for Artemis I, but only if the first two launch times are unsuccessful: August 29 and September 2.

If Artemis I launch is delayed to September 5,  perhaps 4-20 would be delayed one or two days?

A pad swap might further ripple through the subsequent September Florida Starlink launches, again to maintain launch cadence.

Or, Ben Cooper made a copy/paste mistake composing an update.

Edit August 31: "Pad 40" returns to the pertinent sentence.
« Last Edit: 08/31/2022 07:59 pm by zubenelgenubi »

Offline zubenelgenubi

• Global Moderator
Ben Cooper's Launch Photography Viewing Guide, updated August 30:
The next SpaceX Falcon 9 rocket will launch a Starlink batch on September 4 at 8:32pm or about 10pm EDT.
= September 5 00:32 UTC
= September 5 ~02:00 UTC
« Last Edit: 08/31/2022 03:51 am by zubenelgenubi »

Offline kevin-rf

• Elite Veteran
  • Overlooking the path Mary's little Lamb took..
  • Liked: 1318
  • Likes Given: 306
That should be nice for some good visible east coast passes :-)
If you're happy and you know it,
It's your med's!

Offline zubenelgenubi

• Global Moderator
SLC-40 (re)confirmed:
Ben Cooper's Launch Photography Viewing Guide, updated August 31:
The next SpaceX Falcon 9 rocket from pad 40 will launch a Starlink batch on September 4 at 8:32pm or about 10pm EDT.

Offline Ken the Bin

• US Pacific Time Zone
    • @kenthebin@spacey.space
  • Liked: 5143
  • Likes Given: 5547
NGA Rocket Launching notice.

Quote from: NGA
311907Z AUG 22
NAVAREA IV 883/22(11,12,26).
WESTERN NORTH ATLANTIC.
FLORIDA.
1. HAZARDOUS OPERATIONS, ROCKET LAUNCHING
   050032Z TO 050257Z SEP, ALTERNATE
   060010Z TO 060236Z, 062348Z TO 070214Z,
   072327Z TO 080153Z, 082305Z TO 090131Z,
   092244Z TO 100110Z AND 102222Z TO 110048Z SEP
   IN AREAS BOUND BY:
   A. 28-39.13N 080-37.78W, 29-02.00N 080-13.00W,
      28-55.00N 080-07.00W, 28-34.00N 080-28.00W,
      28-32.35N 080-33.78W.
   B. 32-05.00N 077-03.00W, 33-26.00N 075-36.00W,
      33-46.00N 074-37.00W, 33-28.00N 074-17.00W,
      32-37.00N 074-45.00W, 31-38.00N 076-40.00W.
2. CANCEL THIS MSG 110148Z SEP 22.//

Offline Ken the Bin

• US Pacific Time Zone
L-3 weather forecast.  80% 'Go' for both September 4/5 and September 5/6.  All Additional Risk Criteria are Low for both days.

any estimate of no. of starlinks on this mission and for those on 4-2 till now???

Offline zubenelgenubi

• Global Moderator
NextSpaceFlight, updated September 1:
ASDS is Just Read the Instructions.

Offline SPKirsch

• Germany
1 day ago:

https://twitter.com/TheFavoritist/status/1565136589453393922
Doug do be leavin Port Canaveral.

https://twitter.com/TheFavoritist/status/1565136881397923848
Droneship do be leavin Port Canaveral.

Offline Ken the Bin

• US Pacific Time Zone
L-2 weather forecast.  80% 'Go' for both September 4/5 and September 5/6.  All Additional Risk Criteria are Low for both days.

Offline Ken the Bin

• US Pacific Time Zone
Per this CelesTrak tweet, launch is planned for 02:09:40 UTC (which would be the same-day backup time):

https://twitter.com/TSKelso/status/1565855734524289024

Quote from: T.S. Kelso
CelesTrak has pre-launch SupGP data for the #Starlink Group 4-20 launch set for 2022-09-05 at 02:09:40 UTC. Deployment of 51 satellites is planned for 03:22:06.360 UTC: https://celestrak.org/NORAD/elements/supplemental/.

Online Galactic Penguin SST

Per this CelesTrak tweet, launch is planned for 02:09:40 UTC (which would be the same-day backup time):

https://twitter.com/TSKelso/status/1565855734524289024

Quote from: T.S. Kelso
CelesTrak has pre-launch SupGP data for the #Starlink Group 4-20 launch set for 2022-09-05 at 02:09:40 UTC. Deployment of 51 satellites is planned for 03:22:06.360 UTC: https://celestrak.org/NORAD/elements/supplemental/.

Ben Cooper also now lists the same T-0.
Astronomy & spaceflight geek penguin. In a relationship w/ Space Shuttle Discovery. Current Priority: Chasing the Chinese Spaceflight Wonder Egg & A Certain Chinese Mars Rover

Online OneSpeed

• Liked: 4930
  • Likes Given: 2078
NGA Rocket Launching notice.

Map from the NGA notice, ASDS 641km downrange.

Online Bean Kenobi

• Liked: 367
  • Likes Given: 248
any estimate of no. of starlinks on this mission and for those on 4-2 till now???

51 on 4-20.

Offline Ken the Bin

• US Pacific Time Zone
L-1 weather forecast.  80% 'Go' for both September 4/5 and September 5/6.  All Additional Risk Criteria are Low for both days.

Offline Zed_Noir

• Canada
  • Liked: 1809
  • Likes Given: 1302

51 on 4-20.

Isn't it 50 Starlinks plus the Shepra-LTC2 OTV rideshare for a total of 51 satellites deployed from Starlink group 4-20.

Online Bean Kenobi

• Liked: 367
  • Likes Given: 248

51 on 4-20.

Isn't it 50 Starlinks plus the Shepra-LTC2 OTV rideshare for a total of 51 satellites deployed from Starlink group 4-20.

Oh yes, good point  ;D

Offline soltasto

• Italy, Earth
  • Liked: 1118
  • Likes Given: 40
"Press kit" capture with OCR

Online kdhilliard

• Kirk
  • Tanstaa, FL
  • Liked: 1572
  • Likes Given: 4080

Offline scr00chy

• Czechia
    • ElonX.net
  • Liked: 1685
  • Likes Given: 1596
According to the official mission page, it's 51 Starlink sats + SHERPA.

Also, the booster is B1052.7 instead of B1067.6 as previously reported. That's a pretty wild turnaround because B1052 was still lying in Port Canaveral on August 17:

https://twitter.com/FarryFaz/status/1559929079452684288

Offline SPKirsch

• Germany
https://twitter.com/SpaceX/status/1566179089450520578
Targeting Sunday, September 4 for Falcon 9’s launch of 51 Starlink satellites and Spaceflight’s Sherpa-LTC to orbit from Florida → http://spacex.com/launches/sl4-20/
SpaceX is targeting Sunday, September 4 for a Falcon 9 launch of 51 Starlink satellites and Spaceflight’s Sherpa-LTC, an orbital transfer vehicle, to low-Earth orbit from Space Launch Complex 40 (SLC-40) at Cape Canaveral Space Force Station in Florida. The instantaneous launch window is at 10:09 p.m. ET (02:09 UTC on September 5), and a backup opportunity is available on Monday, September 5 at 9:39 p.m. ET (01:39 UTC on September 6).

The first stage booster supporting this mission previously launched Arabsat-6A, STP-2, COSMO-SkyMed Second Generation FM2, KPLO, and two Starlink missions. Following stage separation, the first stage will land on the Just Read the Instructions droneship, which will be stationed in the Atlantic Ocean.

A live webcast of this mission will begin about five minutes prior to liftoff.

Offline zubenelgenubi

• Global Moderator

Also, the booster is B1052.7 instead of B1067.6 as previously reported. That's a pretty wild turnaround because B1052 was still lying in Port Canaveral on August 17:
Also, same source, ASDS is Just Read the Instructions.

Backup launch opportunity is Monday, September 5 at 9:39 p.m. ET (01:39 UTC on September 6).
« Last Edit: 09/04/2022 02:59 am by zubenelgenubi »

Offline zubenelgenubi

• Global Moderator
1052.7 should be transported to the pad in the coming hours; no Static Fire.
« Last Edit: 09/04/2022 03:24 am by zubenelgenubi »

Offline Rondaz

• Liked: 5301
  • Likes Given: 169
Upcoming 26th #Starlink launch of this year via #SpaceX's #Falcon9 vehicle

Booster supporting this mission..

https://twitter.com/_rykllan/status/1566330102471921665

Offline Rondaz

Orbital Launch no. 111 of 2022

Starlink L59 | SpaceX | Sept 05 | 0209 UTC

@SpaceX to launch another batch of 51 #Starlink V1.5🛰️ (G4-20) + rideshare payload #SherpaLCT2 OTV from @SpaceflightInc on its #Falcon9 FT (#B1067.6) from SLC-40, @SLDelta45. #StarlinkG420

https://twitter.com/SpaceIntellige3/status/1566208425960275968

Offline Rondaz

Spaceflight Inc. Sherpa-LTC orbital transfer vehicle will hitch-a-ride aboard SpaceX’s upcoming Starlink mission –Watch It Live!

https://twitter.com/JaneidyEve/status/1566336597829754881

Offline FutureSpaceTourist

• Global Moderator
  • UK
    • Plan 28
  • Liked: 81685
  • Likes Given: 36941
https://twitter.com/therealjonvh/status/1566451910701359105

Good Moaning!🐓☕️☀️

HAPPY LAUNCH ATTEMPT DAY!!! 🚀

Tonight, #SpaceX is slated to lift off their #Falcon9 B1052-7 for #Starlink and #VarunaTDM

Launch is expected at 2209 EDT (0209, 09/05 UTC)

• Global Moderator
  • UK
    • Plan 28
https://twitter.com/spaceflightinc/status/1566465541359153152

It's launch day! Our Sherpa-LTC, carrying an exciting customer payload, is targeted to lift off on the Starlink mission at 22:09 local/Eastern time, 19:09 for those of us on the West coast.🚀

• Global Moderator
  • UK
    • Plan 28
https://twitter.com/tgmetsfan98/status/1566483598223589378

Not just another Starlink mission: tonight, SpaceX will launch a communications technology demonstrator for Boeing, along with 51 Starlink satellites.

By Elliot Mai (@Eli_Mai1):

https://www.nasaspaceflight.com/2022/09/starlink-group-4-20/

Online kdhilliard

• Kirk
  • Tanstaa, FL
  • Liked: 1572
  • Likes Given: 4080
Do we know why Spaceflight, Inc. is being coy and saying only that they will be "transporting an undisclosed customer payload, booked through Astro Digital, to a 1,000-kilometer circular orbit", not publicly stating that it is Boeing's Varuna-TDM?

Also, that's a dispenser shown on the side of the Sherpa-LTC, not the satellite payload itself, right?

Offline jcm

• Jonathan McDowell
  • Somerville, Massachusetts, USA
    • Jonathan's Space Report
  • Liked: 1290
  • Likes Given: 775
https://twitter.com/tgmetsfan98/status/1566483598223589378

Not just another Starlink mission: tonight, SpaceX will launch a communications technology demonstrator for Boeing, along with 51 Starlink satellites.

By Elliot Mai (@Eli_Mai1):

https://www.nasaspaceflight.com/2022/09/starlink-group-4-20/

This story implies Varuna will be deployed from Sherpa-LTC; on the contrary documents like the ODAR imply to me that
Varuna consists of two boxes that will remain attached to Sherpa, not separately deployed
-----------------------------

Jonathan McDowell
http://planet4589.org

Offline gongora

• Global Moderator
  • US
This story implies Varuna will be deployed from Sherpa-LTC; on the contrary documents like the ODAR imply to me that
Varuna consists of two boxes that will remain attached to Sherpa, not separately deployed

Thanks for pointing that out

Offline Rondaz

LHA map for #Starlink Group 4-20/#Varuna-TDM from CCSFS SLC-40 NET 05 Sep 02:09 UTC, altern. 06 to 11 Sep based on NOTMAR/NOTAMs. B1052.7 planned landing with roughly estimated fairing recovery ~640km downrange. Stage2 debris reentry south of Australia.

https://twitter.com/Raul74Cz/status/1566499236371468291

Offline SPKirsch

• Germany
https://twitter.com/SpaceOffshore/status/1566570306218725377
Just Read the Instructions droneship is on-station, ~630km downrange, for tonight's Starlink 4-20 mission.

Doug is a little further downrange to recover the fairing. Tug Kurt J Crosby is monitoring the droneship.

Offline Ken the Bin

• US Pacific Time Zone
Mission Control Audio (video id GGEE8ISIvM8):

Offline Zed_Noir

• Canada
Is there going to be a NSF live stream for the Starlink 4-20 launch?

Offline Comga

• Liked: 4572
  • Likes Given: 5136
Now live at Spacex.com
edit: Clamp arms open
T-4:00
« Last Edit: 09/05/2022 02:06 am by Comga »
What kind of wastrels would dump a perfectly good booster in the ocean after just one use?

Offline hartspace

• Liked: 297
  • Likes Given: 149
Is there going to be a NSF live stream for the Starlink 4-20 launch?
Doesn't look like it.  SpaceX's webcast has started, though

Offline hartspace

Falcon 9 in startup

Offline hartspace

Offline hartspace

Offline hartspace

MECO, separation, and 2nd stage ignition

Offline hartspace

Fairing separation

Offline hartspace

Entry burn start and completion

Offline hartspace

1st stage touchdown on JRTI

Offline hartspace

Offline hartspace

Nominal orbit

Offline hartspace

~45 minute coast before a 2nd burn and the deployments

Offline alugobi

• Liked: 1586
  • Likes Given: 0
Man, holiday weekend and almost nobody shows up. 

Ho hum, another day, another deploy. 

Offline hartspace

"SpaceX - The Ho Hum Rocket Launching Company"  :D

Offline Zed_Noir

• Canada
Man, holiday weekend and almost nobody shows up. 

Ho hum, another day, another deploy.
Think a lot people is taking it easy after the disappointment of watching the SLS wet dress rehearses.

Offline hartspace

2nd engine burn start and completion.  Nominal orbit insertion
« Last Edit: 09/05/2022 02:56 am by hartspace »

Offline hartspace

No ground station coverage for Sherpa/Varuna deployment.  Waiting for confirmation

And now confirmed
« Last Edit: 09/05/2022 03:10 am by hartspace »

Offline hartspace

Webcast ending since the Starlink deploy won't have ground station coverage.

Offline flyright

• Denver, Colorado
  • Liked: 716
  • Likes Given: 1882
AOS Tasmania Sherpa-LTC separation confirmed.
(That took a while!)
« Last Edit: 09/05/2022 03:24 am by flyright »

Offline edkyle99

• Expert
    • Space Launch Report
  • Liked: 8566
  • Likes Given: 1356
40th Falcon 9 orbital launch of 2022, and it is only September 5.  Funny how the crowd seems to have stopped  paying attention while the real history is being made!

Previous U.S. record for a launch vehicle family was 38 orbital attempts (including at least four failures) by Thor family (including Able-Star, Agena, and Delta) in 1962.  R-7 all-time record was 63 with at least two failures in 1980.

- Ed Kyle

• Global Moderator
  • UK
    • Plan 28
twitter.com/nasaspaceflight/status/1566609669958811648

LAUNCH! SpaceX Falcon 9 B1052-7 launches with Starlink Group 4-20 from SLC-40.

Overview:
nasaspaceflight.com/2022/09/starli…

SpaceX Livestream:
youtube.com/watch?v=NONM-x…

https://twitter.com/nasaspaceflight/status/1566610393539252226

Staging 1-2

• Global Moderator
  • UK
    • Plan 28
https://twitter.com/nasaspaceflight/status/1566611984954662918

SpaceX Falcon 9 B1052-7 lands on drone ship Just Read The Instructions.

And that one is very much a bullseye!

• Global Moderator
  • UK
    • Plan 28
https://twitter.com/julia_bergeron/status/1566612185828282368

Consolation Prize

SpaceX launched Starlink rideshare mission 4-20 tonight, much to the delight of crowds that have remained on the Space Coast after SLS attempts.

Read more from @NASASpaceflight

https://twitter.com/thejackbeyer/status/1566612503819440135

Old and New. A defunct cold war era ATT Longlines tower watches over a SpaceX Falcon 9 lofting Starlink Group 4-20 into orbit. @NASASpaceflight

https://twitter.com/nextspaceflight/status/1566611351140798471

Launch of Falcon 9 with tonight's Starlink mission. @NASASpaceflight

• Global Moderator
  • UK
    • Plan 28
https://twitter.com/nasa_nerd/status/1566623711909875714

SpaceX Falcon 9 departs SLC-40 with Starlink 4-20, and rideshare Varuna-TDM.

Story: nasaspaceflight.com/2022/09/starli…

📸 for @NASASpaceflight

• Global Moderator
  • UK
    • Plan 28
https://twitter.com/stephenclark1/status/1566646278284627968

Great photos of what appears to be F9's deorbit burn.

twitter.com/jarimakinen/status/1566646043210547203

#falcon9 upper stage form the recent #Starlink launch just made a beautiful burn just over Bordeaux. The cameras were set up for the 2 mag satellites, not a bright, beautiful show...

Edit to add:

https://twitter.com/jarimakinen/status/1566649136673341440

A quick timelapse video of the #falcon9 deorbit burn.
« Last Edit: 09/05/2022 07:15 am by FutureSpaceTourist »

• Global Moderator
  • UK
    • Plan 28
https://twitter.com/johnkrausphotos/status/1566614048224968704

Falcon 9 beams into the night sky above Cape Canaveral, Florida at 10:09 p.m. this evening with 51 Starlink satellites and Spaceflight’s Sherpa-LTC rideshare payload

https://twitter.com/johnkrausphotos/status/1566618160182267904

Falcon punches through a light cloud layer on the way to orbit with 51 Starlink satellites and Spaceflight’s Sherpa-LTC rideshare payload

• Global Moderator
  • UK
    • Plan 28
https://twitter.com/spacex/status/1566636450887585792

Falcon 9 launches 51 Starlink satellites and Spaceflight’s Sherpa-LTC to orbit

• Global Moderator
  • UK
    • Plan 28
https://twitter.com/wikkit/status/1566613515615494144

Congrats to my friends at Benchmark, whose nontoxic storable propulsion system made it uphill tonight for the first time on the Falcon 9 launch!

• Global Moderator
  • UK
    • Plan 28
https://twitter.com/alexphysics13/status/1566601586012524546

Keeping an eye today for any potential changes to the Falcon 9 launch countdown sequence. Last launch had LOX load wrapped up later than usual. This is in order to keep LOX being loaded as late as possible and helps keep it as cold as possible much closer to launch.

twitter.com/alexphysics13/status/1566602157436149762

Which in turn means an improvement in performance. More mass of propellant in the tanks for no added dry mass means more delta-v available. Denser propellant also means more flow rate into the engine which largely means more thrust.

https://twitter.com/alexphysics13/status/1566602376051580928

The colder temperatures bring its own issues though, not just because of the COPVs inside the LOX tanks as we saw back in 2016 with Amos 6 but also with how you manage a propellant that is denser and, most likely, more viscous.

twitter.com/alexphysics13/status/1566602616938848256

Viscosity at colder temperatures is of special importance with kerosene for example, it may actually make the engines underperform as it is harder to push through the pumps if it's more viscous.

https://twitter.com/alexphysics13/status/1566602846358872064

All in all, this is a careful and gradual process that SpaceX is now doing on their Starlink missions and will for sure mean they'll gather even more data into how to manage cold propellants at temperatures not previously handled by more traditional US launch companies.

https://twitter.com/alexphysics13/status/1566609098170310656

Yep this is the late LOX load sequence

Offline Rondaz

And liftoff!

#SpaceX makes a Labor Day weekend launch.

https://twitter.com/Booster_Buddies/status/1566615094527725570

Offline Rondaz

Offline Rondaz

Offline Rondaz

Update / update

@SpaceX adds and continues in its successful model of reuse.

https://twitter.com/SpaceNosey/status/1566687398850924544

Offline Rondaz

#SpaceX's #Falcon9 & #FalconHeavy flightworthy boosters as of Sep 5, 2022

Statistics of #SpaceX's #Falcon9 & #FalconHeavy booster missions as of Sep 5, 2022..

https://twitter.com/_rykllan/status/1566656128402046976

Online OneSpeed

• Liked: 4930
  • Likes Given: 2078
Here is a comparison of the webcast telemetry from Starlink 4-27 and 4-20.

Although 4-20 may have utilised a late load of propellant, there was no evidence of the increased acceleration evident in 4-27 or 4-23. The 4-20 booster landed some 40km less distance downrange, velocity at MECO was some 43m/s less, and peak S2 acceleration was 3.8g vs 4g for 4-27.

Overall, it was a much more relaxed affair.

• Global Moderator
  • UK
    • Plan 28
https://twitter.com/launchphoto/status/1566785979079344130

Starlink 4-20 launch last night

Edit to add: SpaceX have now posted the photos on flickr
« Last Edit: 09/06/2022 05:11 am by FutureSpaceTourist »

• Global Moderator
  • UK
    • Plan 28
https://twitter.com/spaceflightinc/status/1566873320729214976

Update: Happy to report Sherpa-LTC made contact on its first pass last nite (while I was sleeping) and is proceeding through its checkouts. Stay tuned for more progress reports! (Photo credit to the talented @johnkrausphotos)

Offline MP99

Here is a comparison of the webcast telemetry from Starlink 4-27 and 4-20.

Although 4-20 may have utilised a late load of propellant, there was no evidence of the increased acceleration evident in 4-27 or 4-23. The 4-20 booster landed some 40km less distance downrange, velocity at MECO was some 43m/s less, and peak S2 acceleration was 3.8g vs 4g for 4-27.

Overall, it was a much more relaxed affair.
That's cool tracking. Presumably the same payload, etc on the two flights?

One suggestion, if I may. This sort of image would probably work particularly well in PNG format, which uses lossless compression, rather than JPG.

Cheers, Martin
« Last Edit: 09/06/2022 03:33 pm by zubenelgenubi »

Offline SPKirsch

• Germany
Per webcast, fourth and fifth flight for those fairing halves.

Offline Rondaz

CelesTrak has ephemeris-based SupGP data for all 51 satellites from the launch (2022-107) of #Starlink Group 4-20 from Cape Canaveral on Sep 5 at 0209 UTC:

https://twitter.com/TSKelso/status/1566850153889222658

• Global Moderator
  • UK
    • Plan 28
https://twitter.com/renatakonkoly/status/1566982694994677760

Starlink 4-20 passing over Hungary at 4:46am. Nice! 💙🛰️

@elonmusk @SpaceX

• Global Moderator
  • UK
    • Plan 28
https://twitter.com/dfuji1/status/1566891410640744448

Google translate:

This morning, we saw the recently launched Starlink satellite (Starlink Group 4-20)! It looks like it was taken from my home in Hiratsuka at 4:15 on September 6, 2022. There will also be a launch on the 11th, and AST's BlueWalker 3, which will be on board, is equipped with a 10m diameter antenna for direct communication with smartphones. It may look brighter.

• Global Moderator
  • UK
    • Plan 28
https://twitter.com/spaceoffshore/status/1567265579039326212

Starlink 4-20: Just Read the Instructions droneship is underway towards Port Canaveral with B1052

ETA ~approx Thursday morning.

Going to be a tight turnaround. Starlink 4-23 is reportedly NET Sep 12th using JRTI droneship.

Offline Rondaz

This morning, I was able to take a picture of the Starlink satellite (Starlink Group 4-20) through the clouds! It looks like it was taken from my home in Hiratsuka at 4:26 on September 7, 2022. The interval has widened compared to yesterday. It will be easy to see on the evening of September 9, and will rise in the southwestern sky before 7:30 pm.

https://twitter.com/dfuji1/status/1567273322634952704

Offline Rondaz

The @SpaceX launch support vessel Doug is currently in the Port Canaveral entrance channel after a busy Starlink 4-20 launch period. I am thinking some gently used payload fairings may be aboard.

https://twitter.com/JConcilus/status/1567502780507512832

• Global Moderator
  • UK
    • Plan 28
https://twitter.com/spaceoffshore/status/1567551023601926145

SpaceX's Doug returned from the Starlink 4-20 mission this morning with two fairing halves

Bonus: Check out American flag the crew are flying from the crane boom!

Highlight from the 24/7 live feed: nasaspaceflight.com/fleetcam

Offline SPKirsch

• Germany
https://twitter.com/SpaceOffshore/status/1567601469477584897
JRTI should deliver B1052 to Port Canaveral around/after 8am ET on Thursday morning. Tug Kurt Crosby is towing.

Offline Rondaz

While the booster that had been standing on Port for days finally got positioned on the transporter to be returned to Hangar X for refurbishment, Doug returned with 2 recovered fairings from the Starlink 4-20 mission. Both fairings were in good condition.

https://twitter.com/GregScott_photo/status/1567880171226628096

• Global Moderator
  • UK
    • Plan 28
https://twitter.com/spaceoffshore/status/1567992647205416960

Meanwhile at Port Canaveral.... B1052 arrives on Just Read the Instructions droneship

nasaspaceflight.com/fleetcam

• Global Moderator
  • UK
    • Plan 28
https://twitter.com/zshauladventure/status/1567991798546432000

After #Starlink 4-20 #Falcon9 B1052 had returned to @PortCanaveral just as rain has started to fall.

Offline Rondaz

B1052 is getting a shower after arriving in Port Canaveral..

https://twitter.com/tweetsitweets/status/1567994914675507201

• Global Moderator
  • UK
    • Plan 28
https://twitter.com/julia_bergeron/status/1568209156473069569

Despite the rain, Just Read the Instructions delivered B1052 to port last night. Instructions? Offload and depart for the next mission. Depart the did at 2:30 am. Fair winds tug crew!

Watch processing on the @NASASpaceflight Fleetcam:
nasaspaceflight.com/fleetcam

Offline Rondaz

Spectacular light show at Port Canaveral yesterday mostly between 6:30 and 6:40 PM EDT. Lightning 'touchdowns'. Even the container crane got a hit.

https://twitter.com/Sen_Smith/status/1569667891125014530

Offline Rondaz

Of the 51 Starlinks launched on Sep 5 with Group 4-20 and Sherpa LTC-2, six have so far failed to begin orbit raising:

https://twitter.com/planet4589/status/1570197995278471168

Offline OceanCat

• Liked: 250
  • Likes Given: 206
Sherpa-LTC 2 is also experiencing issues. It has not raised its orbit since the injection. Dropped from 304 x 316 km on 9/5 to 289 x 302 km today. They have about 2 maybe 3 weeks to fix the problem.

Offline gongora

• Global Moderator
  • US
It's the first flight of that Sherpa model, and they may not have planned to raise the orbit right away.  As you pointed out though they can't wait too long.

Offline Skyrocket

• Extreme Veteran
  • Frankfurt am Main, Germany
  • Liked: 940
  • Likes Given: 172
It's the first flight of that Sherpa model, and they may not have planned to raise the orbit right away.  As you pointed out though they can't wait too long.
The ODAR document shows, that two burns are planned to raise the orbit to 1056 km and another burn at the end of the mission to lower the perigee to 300 km.

• Global Moderator
  • UK
    • Plan 28
twitter.com/planet4589/status/1576673275484278788

The @SpaceflightInc Sherpa-LTC satellite, carrying Boeing's Varuna V-band demo payload, was launched almost a month ago. It has apparently not yet begun raising its orbit; orbital decay has already reduced its altitude by 15 km, with reentry within weeks if no orbit boost soon.

https://twitter.com/planet4589/status/1576673701721931776

Five of the 51 Starlinks from the same launch (G4-20) also appear headed for premature immolation, but S-4644 appears to have been saved and is starting to raise its orbit.

Offline OceanCat

• Liked: 250
  • Likes Given: 206
https://spacenews.com/sherpa-tug-yet-to-start-raising-orbit-a-month-after-launch/
Spaceflight spokesperson Jodi Sorenson told SpaceNews Oct. 4 that the company is still going through the post-launch commissioning process for the Sherpa tug. “As always with experimental, first-flight systems, the commissioning process is fluid,” she said, with orbit-raising maneuvers set to begin once commissioning is complete. She did not give an estimate of when the spacecraft commissioning will be completed.

Apparently Space Force misidentified the spacecraft initially confusing it with the payload adapter. Object 53752 was renamed to "Falcon 9 debris" while 53754 was renamed to "Sherpa-LTC2." The tug is higher and its orbit is decaying slower. They still have 2-4 weeks.

• Global Moderator
  • UK
    • Plan 28
twitter.com/planet4589/status/1579493541180768257

Sherpa-LTC did make an orbit boost burn at around 1100 UTC Oct 7,  from 280 x 292 km to 283 x 328 km, so looks like all is well aboard that spacecraft.

https://twitter.com/planet4589/status/1579493684554260480

Revised orbit plot for that launch:

Offline gongora

• Global Moderator
  • US
The SHERPA got its apogee raised, but hasn't done much since around November 23.  In a 391x1064km orbit.
(53754/2022-107BG)
https://celestrak.org/NORAD/elements/graph-orbit-data.php?CATNR=53754
« Last Edit: 02/04/2023 03:51 am by gongora »

Offline gongora

• Global Moderator
  • US
Experimental License Call Sign WM2XMV

Section 5.77 Notification

Pursuant to Section 5.77 of the Commission’s rules, The Boeing Company (“Boeing”) hereby notifies the Commission of its intent to make discrete changes in the emission characteristics of the Varuna satellite. These changes will be made in full conformance with the emission limits specified in Boeing’s experimental license, call sign WM2XMV.

Subsequent to its release from its launch vehicle on September 4, 2022, it was determined that the satellite had a valve control issue that affected its propulsion capability. To address this, Boeing does not currently intend to initiate additional orbit raising maneuvers toward the satellite’s intended circular orbit of 1,056 kilometers and will instead maintain the satellite at its present elliptical orbit of 390 by 1,056 kilometers. Boeing is also continuing to troubleshoot the spacecraft in order to increase the reliability of its propulsion system. Although the maneuverability of the satellite is not optimal, it is sufficient to perform collision avoidance maneuvers as needed.

Beginning on February 8, 2023, Boeing intends to initiate the program of radio transmission experimentation described in its FCC application for the Varuna satellite at its present orbit. Boeing does not currently anticipate the need to make any changes to the space-to-Earth transmission power levels of the satellite at its present orbit to remain compliant with the terms of its experimental license or Recommendation ITU-RRS.1263-2

Tags:

Advertisement NovaTech
Advertisement Northrop Grumman
Advertisement
Advertisement Margaritaville Beach Resort South Padre Island
Advertisement Brady Kenniston
Advertisement NextSpaceflight
Advertisement Nathan Barker Photography