Author Topic: Northrop Grumman: Cygnus Update Thread  (Read 312289 times)

Offline antonioe

• PONTIFEX MAXIMVS
  • Virginia is for (space) lovers
  • Liked: 43
  • Likes Given: 0
Northrop Grumman: Cygnus Update Thread
« on: 04/09/2010 05:50 am »
A quick status on Cygnus.

Passed ISS Phase II safety review.

Wrapped up the CDR series (which began Nov 2009).

First Pressurized Cargo Module assembly underway in Torino - basic welded structure completed.

Will provide pictures as I get them.

We plan to have a full-scale mockup of a Cygnus spacecraft (Service Module plus a Pressurized Cargo Module) at the National Space Symposium at the Broadmore in Colorado Springs which starts Moday April 12 (by the way, we're sponsoring the opening fireworks...)

If you happen to be at the NSS, you can't miss it: it will be by the lake, to the right of the bridge that crosses the lake.
« Last Edit: 09/13/2011 04:27 pm by Chris Bergin »
ARS LONGA, VITA BREVIS...

Online robertross

• Canadian Member
  • Westphal, Nova Scotia
  • Liked: 659
  • Likes Given: 7692
Re: Northrop Grumman: Cygnus Update Thread
« Reply #1 on: 04/09/2010 08:36 am »
Thanks for the update!

Online Nicolas PILLET

• Gien, France
    • Kosmonavtika
  • Liked: 670
  • Likes Given: 134
« Reply #2 on: 04/09/2010 09:07 am »
First Pressurized Cargo Module assembly underway in Torino - basic welded structure completed.

Wooaah ! This project moves really fast !
Thank you for this update AntonioE !
Nicolas PILLET
Kosmonavtika : The French site on Russian Space

Offline Rabidpanda

• Liked: 123
  • Likes Given: 572
« Reply #3 on: 04/09/2010 09:19 am »
When is the first orbital test launch scheduled?

Offline aquarius

• Liked: 0
« Reply #4 on: 04/09/2010 09:37 am »
When is the first orbital test launch scheduled?

The last I heard, it was March 2011.

Offline Downix

• Liked: 22
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #5 on: 04/09/2010 10:00 am »
A quick status on Cygnus.

Passed ISS Phase II safety review.

Wrapped up the CDR series (which began Nov 2009).

Will provide pictures as I get them.

We plan to have a full-scale mockup of a Cygnus spacecraft (Service Module plus a Pressurized Cargo Module) at the National Space Symposium at the Broadmore in Colorado Springs which starts Moday April 12 (by the way, we're sponsoring the opening fireworks...)

If you happen to be at the NSS, you can't miss it: it will be by the lake, to the right of the bridge that crosses the lake.
I have friends there, I'll pester them to take pictures.
chuck - Toilet paper has no real value? Try living with 5 other adults for 6 months in a can with no toilet paper. Man oh man. Toilet paper would be worth it's weight in gold!

Offline renclod

• Extreme Veteran
  • EU.Ro
  • Liked: 17
  • Likes Given: 2
« Reply #6 on: 04/28/2010 07:19 pm »
Courtesy of someone at JSC - Innovation 2010

Offline kkattula

• Melbourne, Australia
  • Liked: 656
  • Likes Given: 116
« Reply #7 on: 04/28/2010 08:31 pm »
Very cool. 

(Is it just me, or does it look like a giant beer keg with solar panels bolted on? ;)
Hmmm beer... )

It also look a lot bigger than an Orion CM.  Yes I know Cygnus will be full of racks and cargo.

Comparisons in pressurized volume (m^3):

Cygnus = 18.7
Orion CM = 14.75
Dragon = 10
Progress = 7.6
ATV = 48
HTV = 30?
MPLM = 31
Soyuz (OM + DM) = 10
Apollo CM = 5.9
Shuttle = 71.5
ISS = 1000 (approx)
« Last Edit: 04/28/2010 08:32 pm by kkattula »

Offline bad_astra

• Liked: 316
  • Likes Given: 553
« Reply #8 on: 04/29/2010 08:17 pm »
Will Cygnus be used for reboost?
"Contact Light" -Buzz Aldrin

Offline Robotbeat

• Minnesota
  • Liked: 25240
  • Likes Given: 12115
« Reply #9 on: 04/29/2010 08:22 pm »

Good question! Also, is a fuel-only cygnus possible, which can be used as a tug?
Chris  Whoever loves correction loves knowledge, but he who hates reproof is stupid.

To the maximum extent practicable, the Federal Government shall plan missions to accommodate the space transportation services capabilities of United States commercial providers. US law http://goo.gl/YZYNt0

Offline antonioe

• PONTIFEX MAXIMVS
« Reply #10 on: 04/30/2010 02:11 am »

(Is it just me, or does it look like a giant beer keg with solar panels bolted on? ;)
Hmmm beer... )

Yes, Düff (semi-imported)...

Comparisons in pressurized volume (m^3):

Cygnus = 18.7
Orion CM = 14.75
Dragon = 10
Progress = 7.6
ATV = 48
HTV = 30?
MPLM = 31
Soyuz (OM + DM) = 10
Apollo CM = 5.9
Shuttle = 71.5
ISS = 1000 (approx)

Careful... not all the volume is dedicated to pressurized cargo - some have equipment in the pressurized volume - and some of that is lost on the hatch mechanism/opening swept volume and the "free space" (space for the astronauts to get inside and get the cargo out - hint: Progress has NO free space: you unload it from the top down...)

You may be interested in this old presentation from the early Cygnus design days.  The actual "basic" PCM we ended up with is somewhere in between the "regular" and the "+" version in that presentation, with a total pressurized volume of 18.7 m3, and a useable cargo volume of about 12-13 m3.  The "enhanced" version (to go with the liquid-second-stage Taurus II) has a whopping 19m3 of useable cargo volume (out of about 26m3 total pressurized vol).

Moral(s) of the story: a) Not all volume is pressurized and b) Not all pressurized volume is useable for cargo.

Do not pay too much attention to the spacecraft sketches - much has changed (single main engine, location of RCS jets, location of grapple fixture, etc. etc.) However, it is a curious insight into the design process... how much changes in less than two years!

Offline antonioe

• PONTIFEX MAXIMVS
« Reply #11 on: 04/30/2010 02:22 am »

No, wrong nominal attachment location (big moment arm wrt ISS center of mass.)  Right now the only docking position in the U.S. side suitable for reboost has an APAS in it (Cygnus PCM uses a CBM)

Good question! Also, is a fuel-only cygnus possible, which can be used as a tug?

Yes, the SM was designed to be a self-standing spacecraft (power, comm, C&DH, RCS, star trackers, etc.)

And if you add a remote manipulator arm...

Offline tlewis615

• Liked: 0
« Reply #12 on: 04/30/2010 02:38 am »
Quote from: kkattula on 04/28/2010 08:31 PM
(Is it just me, or does it look like a giant beer keg with solar panels bolted on?  Hmmm beer... )

Well form does follow function, and I can think of no finer form to share than an icey steel vessel of great beer.  This could result in some interesting traditions. Resupply missions could be refered to as "beer runs" out of Wallops.  ISS crews could refer to opening the Cygnus as "tapping the keg".  I now know how I will properly toast the sucess of Cygnus.  I've always liked the concept of this spacecraft and this just makes me like it even more.
« Last Edit: 04/30/2010 02:39 am by tlewis615 »

Offline kevin-rf

• Elite Veteran
  • Overlooking the path Mary's little Lamb took..
  • Liked: 1318
  • Likes Given: 306
« Reply #13 on: 04/30/2010 02:49 am »
And if you add a remote manipulator arm...

So have you been secretly lobbying the bean counters that be for inclusion of an arm?
If you're happy and you know it,
It's your med's!

Offline Freddie

• Liked: 1
« Reply #14 on: 04/30/2010 03:55 am »
Below is a weblink to one example from Orbital Sciences that was presented at last month's NASA Goddard Servicing Study Workshop (http://servicingstudy.gsfc.nasa.gov/workshop_1_presentations.htm):

http://servicingstudy.gsfc.nasa.gov/presentations_final/day3/Warren_Frick/Cygnus_Satellite_Servicing_R4.pdf (10 slides)
« Last Edit: 04/30/2010 03:56 am by Freddie »

Offline Danderman

• Extreme Veteran
  • Liked: 699
  • Likes Given: 723
« Reply #15 on: 04/30/2010 03:36 pm »
I wonder about the heritage of the Cygnus pressurized section. Does Alena produce any other system with the same diameter?

Yes, I know that Alenia makes MPLMs, but they have a much larger diameter.

Offline Freddie

• Liked: 1
« Reply #16 on: 04/30/2010 05:30 pm »
Orbital Sciences Corporation has its April 2010 Cygnus progress update posted at http://www.orbital.com/CargoResupplyServices/index.shtml.

Offline sdsds

• “With peace and hope for all mankind.”
  • Seattle
  • Liked: 2050
  • Likes Given: 1962
« Reply #17 on: 04/30/2010 09:48 pm »
I wonder about the heritage of the Cygnus pressurized section. Does Alena produce any other system with the same diameter?

Yes, I know that Alenia makes MPLMs, but they have a much larger diameter.

Excellent question!  Presumably the interest in heritage is motivated by a desire to understand the extent to which the success of the MPLMs (and other ISS modules from Alenia) predicts success for the Cygnus PCM program. 

Has Orbital specifically said the tooling (e.g. formers, welders) Alenia used for larger diameter modules is being re-used for Cygnus?  Similarly for test equipment used to e.g. examine welds for flaws?

Then, because the CBM is the same, is it fair to assume the same test equipment that verified the MPLMs as functioning pressure vessels can be used to verify Cygnus pressure vessel integrity?

How much value is inherent in Alenia's ability to get the simple stuff (like precise equipment rack dimensions) correct, with greater certainty than a "de novo" supplier could?  From a business perspective, Orbital's out-sourcing certainly highlights their philosophical difference with "Everything Done In-House" SpaceX....
— 𝐬𝐝𝐒𝐝𝐬 —

Offline Danderman

• Extreme Veteran
  • Liked: 699
  • Likes Given: 723
« Reply #18 on: 04/30/2010 10:24 pm »
I missed this news the first time around, but its still interesting:

http://www.satnews.com/cgi-bin/story.cgi?number=110046316

"Mitsubishi Electric Corporation has agreed with Orbital Sciences Corporation (Orbital) to supply Proximity Link System (PLS) components to guide Orbital’s Cygnus Spacecraft to the ISS on nine re-supply missions for NASA.  Mitsubishi Electric will deliver the PLS components to Orbital between 2010 and 2014 in a deal valued at approximately US$66 million (6 billion yen), making it one of the largest contracts tying a Japanese company to NASA’s space exploration program.

The PLS components, composed of transponders, diplexers and data handling processors, are essential for rendezvous control between re-supply spacecraft and the ISS. When the re-supply spacecraft approaches the ISS, the on-board PLS initiates a signaling exchange with the PROX (Proximity Communication System), which is built into the ISS as a part of the Japanese Kibo Experimental Module, and guides the spacecraft in rendezvous and berthing with the ISS.
"
« Last Edit: 04/30/2010 10:27 pm by Danderman »

Offline kkattula

• Melbourne, Australia
  • Liked: 656
  • Likes Given: 116
« Reply #19 on: 05/01/2010 10:10 am »
Careful... not all the volume is dedicated to pressurized cargo - some have equipment in the pressurized volume - and some of that is lost on the hatch mechanism/opening swept volume and the "free space" (space for the astronauts to get inside and get the cargo out - hint: Progress has NO free space: you unload it from the top down...)

You may be interested in this old presentation from the early Cygnus design days. 

Thanks Antonio, that presentation is quite interesting.  My list above was just trying to get a grasp on relative size of the various vehicles.

Tags:

Advertisement NovaTech
Advertisement Northrop Grumman
Advertisement
Advertisement Margaritaville Beach Resort South Padre Island
Advertisement Brady Kenniston
Advertisement NextSpaceflight
Advertisement Nathan Barker Photography