Author Topic: Taurus II changes name to the Antares ahead of debut launch  (Read 18252 times)

Online Chris Bergin

Support NSF via L2 -- Help improve NSF -- Site Rules/Feedback/Updates
**Not a L2 member? Whitelist this forum in your adblocker to support the site and ensure full functionality.**

Offline Space Pete

Welcome to the crew Ron!

Now, what shall we do for your initiation? :D
NASASpaceflight ISS Editor

Online jcm

• Jonathan McDowell
  • Somerville, Massachusetts, USA
    • Jonathan's Space Report
  • Liked: 1290
  • Likes Given: 775
Not only was Antares the name for the Apollo 14 LM, as noted by another poster, it was the name of the family of the solid rocket motors used as the third stage of the Scout launch vehicle (ABL X-254 Antares I, ABL X-259 Antares II, Thiokol Star 31 Antares III).

Of course, let's not forget the true meaning of the name for the red star Antares: "Rival of Ares".  Subtle dig at the Liberty folks? :-)
-----------------------------

Jonathan McDowell
http://planet4589.org

Offline Prober

• Save the spin....I'm keeping you honest!
  • Nevada
  • Liked: 721
  • Likes Given: 729
Not only was Antares the name for the Apollo 14 LM, as noted by another poster, it was the name of the family of the solid rocket motors used as the third stage of the Scout launch vehicle (ABL X-254 Antares I, ABL X-259 Antares II, Thiokol Star 31 Antares III).

Of course, let's not forget the true meaning of the name for the red star Antares: "Rival of Ares".  Subtle dig at the Liberty folks? :-)

maybe they should have called Liberty..... "Antares"
2017 - Everything Old is New Again.
"I fear all we have done is to awaken a sleeping giant..." --Isoroku Yamamoto

Offline Ronsmytheiii

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 1879
  • Likes Given: 1023

Considering the fact that ATK makes the upperstage for Antares and the first stage for Ares I/Liberty, highly doubtful.  It was just an available constellation name.

Offline neilh

• Pasadena, CA
  • Liked: 46
  • Likes Given: 149
I like the new name, excited to see it launch. :)
Someone is wrong on the Internet.
http://xkcd.com/386/

Offline aquanaut99

• Liked: 33
  • Likes Given: 0
I like it, tho one thing bothers me about this design: why choose a solid upperstage? Performance-wise that doesn't seem like a very smart move to me, as solids usually have a pretty low isp, no?

Offline MP99

I like it, tho one thing bothers me about this design: why choose a solid upperstage? Performance-wise that doesn't seem like a very smart move to me, as solids usually have a pretty low isp, no?

This isn't about squeezing the last iota of performance from the smallest package, it's about delivering a large enough payload to orbit at an affordable price.

I guess HESS is still there as a growth option for the future if they have a customer for the higher performance.

cheers, Martin

Offline baldusi

• Buenos Aires, Argentina
  • Liked: 2539
  • Likes Given: 8273
HESS would also put it very close to the Falcon 9 on performance. I'm not sure they want to go head to head. The basic idea was to go below it's performance and below its price.

Offline kevin-rf

• Elite Veteran
  • Overlooking the path Mary's little Lamb took..
  • Liked: 1318
  • Likes Given: 306
HESS would also put it very close to the Falcon 9 on performance. I'm not sure they want to go head to head. The basic idea was to go below it's performance and below its price.

The real question is can they beat the Falcon 9 price.

The COTS contracts say no. Those are the only real prices we have at present. If like many claim, SpaceX's prices are to head north and Orbital stay inline, maybe...
If you're happy and you know it,
It's your med's!

Offline strangequark

• Co-Founder, Tesseract Space
  • San Francisco, CA
  • Liked: 226
  • Likes Given: 12
Re: Taurus II changes name to the Antares ahead of debut launch
« Reply #10 on: 12/13/2011 03:08 pm »

The Russian government had issues with them importing the liquid engine they wanted to use. Unfortunately, the American offerings for upper stage engines are pretty slim right now.

Offline Antares

• ABO^2
  • Done arguing with amateurs
  • Liked: 371
  • Likes Given: 228
« Reply #11 on: 12/13/2011 03:12 pm »
Orbital does things for one reason: profit.  There's nothing wrong with that, aside from occasional pennywise pound foolish moves.  If F9 stays successful, it's hard to see how TRFKAT2 sells to anyone but the government.

Turfcat... I like it ;)
« Last Edit: 12/13/2011 03:14 pm by Antares »
If I like something on NSF, it's probably because I know it to be accurate.  Every once in a while, it's just something I agree with.  Facts generally receive the former.

Offline Robotbeat

• Minnesota
  • Liked: 25240
  • Likes Given: 12115
« Reply #12 on: 12/13/2011 03:14 pm »
Orbital does things for one reason: profit.  If F9 stays successful, it's hard to see how TRFKAT2 sells to anyone but the government.

Turfcat... I like it ;)
Now everyone will think you're an Orbital fanboi. :)
Chris  Whoever loves correction loves knowledge, but he who hates reproof is stupid.

To the maximum extent practicable, the Federal Government shall plan missions to accommodate the space transportation services capabilities of United States commercial providers. US law http://goo.gl/YZYNt0

Offline Ben the Space Brit

• A spaceflight fan
  • London, UK
  • Liked: 806
  • Likes Given: 900
« Reply #13 on: 12/13/2011 03:15 pm »

The Russian government had issues with them importing the liquid engine they wanted to use. Unfortunately, the American offerings for upper stage engines are pretty slim right now.

Is that the RD-0148, the RL-10B-2 equivalent?
"Oops! I left the silly thing in reverse!" - Duck Dodgers

~*~*~*~

The Space Shuttle Program - 1981-2011

The time for words has passed; The time has come to put up or shut up!
DON'T PROPAGANDISE, FLY!!!

Online ugordan

• My mainly Cassini image gallery
  • Liked: 3543
  • Likes Given: 759
« Reply #14 on: 12/13/2011 03:16 pm »
The Russian government had issues with them importing the liquid engine they wanted to use.

Interesting, I always thought they simply gave up on a liquid upperstage.

TRFKAT2

Ha!

Offline strangequark

• Co-Founder, Tesseract Space
  • San Francisco, CA
  • Liked: 226
  • Likes Given: 12
« Reply #15 on: 12/13/2011 03:28 pm »

Honestly not sure on details. I heard it second hand, though from a reliable source.

Offline Ronsmytheiii

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 1879
  • Likes Given: 1023
« Reply #16 on: 12/13/2011 03:53 pm »

Honestly not sure on details. I heard it second hand, though from a reliable source.

There has been considerable discussion on what liquid engine we would select for the Enhanced configuration liquid upper stage.  Having lost my own personal battle for an RL10-based upper stage (probably for good reason...) I am happy to report that we are negotiation with the Russian government for usage approval of the RD-0124, the current (relatively new) Soyuz upper stage engine.  The bad news is that it is yet another non-U.S. engine (the rest of the stage, however, is U.S. manufacture, with final assembly in Chandler).  The good news is that it has the perfect packaging aspect ratio for Taurus II, and it's performance kicks a$$!!!

Initially it will not have restart capability, so it's definitely ISS-oriented.  With restart capability (to be developed later) it has some serious mid-class GTO capability.

Now Taurus II ("II E"?) has an easy time lifting a three-person capsule!

Offline Ben the Space Brit

• A spaceflight fan
  • London, UK
  • Liked: 806
  • Likes Given: 900
« Reply #17 on: 12/13/2011 04:50 pm »
There has been considerable discussion on what liquid engine we would select for the Enhanced configuration liquid upper stage.  Having lost my own personal battle for an RL10-based upper stage (probably for good reason...) I am happy to report that we are negotiation with the Russian government for usage approval of the RD-0124, the current (relatively new) Soyuz upper stage engine.  The bad news is that it is yet another non-U.S. engine (the rest of the stage, however, is U.S. manufacture, with final assembly in Chandler).  The good news is that it has the perfect packaging aspect ratio for Taurus II, and it's performance kicks a$$!!!

What I find very interesting about this is that, if adopted, using RD-0124 would mean that both 'new-space' commercial launchers are all-kerolox.
"Oops! I left the silly thing in reverse!" - Duck Dodgers

~*~*~*~

The Space Shuttle Program - 1981-2011

The time for words has passed; The time has come to put up or shut up!
DON'T PROPAGANDISE, FLY!!!

Offline Jose

• Liked: 1
  • Likes Given: 5
« Reply #18 on: 12/13/2011 04:55 pm »
Heh.
To clear up any marketplace confusion and provide clear differentiation between this new launch vehicle and our Taurus XL rocket.

I wonder why...

Was this in the press release at some point? It's gone now.

Offline edkyle99

• Expert
    • Space Launch Report
  • Liked: 8566
  • Likes Given: 1356
« Reply #19 on: 12/13/2011 05:03 pm »

There have been improvements.  Castor 30 provides 301 to 303 sec ISP, closing the gap a bit on, say, gas generator hydrocarbon liquid alternatives.  A solid upper stage could prove more reliable than a liquid upper stage that uses cryogenics, though that is not guaranteed.  In addition, a solid upper stage requires less work (umbilicals, propellant loading) on the pad, etc.

Of course a real issue was lack of liquid upper stage alternatives in the U.S. 

- Ed Kyle

Tags:

Advertisement NovaTech
Advertisement Northrop Grumman
Advertisement
Advertisement Margaritaville Beach Resort South Padre Island
Advertisement Brady Kenniston
Advertisement NextSpaceflight
Advertisement Nathan Barker Photography