Author Topic: LIVE: Delta-IV - GPS IIF-5 - February 20, 2014 (LT)  (Read 77913 times)

Offline averagespacejoe

• Liked: 51
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Delta-IV - GPS IIF-5 - February 20, 2014
« Reply #40 on: 01/29/2014 03:48 am »
I like the compass patch any cool digital images of it, I can only find pictures of the real patch.

Offline Ben the Space Brit

• A spaceflight fan
  • London, UK
  • Liked: 806
  • Likes Given: 900
« Reply #41 on: 01/29/2014 11:02 am »
I'm assuming that it was this launch that has led CRS-3 to be pushed back a week? In order to give the range time to recycle and the option for several next-day alternate launch attempts?
"Oops! I left the silly thing in reverse!" - Duck Dodgers

~*~*~*~

The Space Shuttle Program - 1981-2011

The time for words has passed; The time has come to put up or shut up!
DON'T PROPAGANDISE, FLY!!!

Offline ugordan

• My mainly Cassini image gallery
  • Liked: 3543
  • Likes Given: 759
« Reply #42 on: 01/29/2014 11:06 am »
Range only needs a couple of days to reconfigure for another launch, not a whole week.

Offline Ben the Space Brit

• A spaceflight fan
  • London, UK
  • Liked: 806
  • Likes Given: 900
« Reply #43 on: 01/29/2014 11:51 am »
Yeah, I know. That's why I specified that the slip is to also give the margin for extra launch attempts in case of some problem on the 20th.

I read once (on this very site) that this is a 'heirachy' of launches where some launches would be immediately bumped if a more important payload needs launching. I don't think anyone would seriously doubt that a GPS satellite would be more important than cargo for the ISS.
"Oops! I left the silly thing in reverse!" - Duck Dodgers

~*~*~*~

The Space Shuttle Program - 1981-2011

The time for words has passed; The time has come to put up or shut up!
DON'T PROPAGANDISE, FLY!!!

Offline ugordan

• My mainly Cassini image gallery
  • Liked: 3543
  • Likes Given: 759
« Reply #44 on: 01/29/2014 11:54 am »
I read once (on this very site) that this is a 'heirachy' of launches where some launches would be immediately bumped if a more important payload needs launching. I don't think anyone would seriously doubt that a GPS satellite would be more important than cargo for the ISS.

I also read once (on this very site) that "commercial" launches take precedence over government launches, all other things being equal. I don't think anyone should assume that launching a GPS satellite is *so* important that it would be the sole reason of CRS-3 being pushed off only to launch GPS a few days sooner. Occam's razor suggests that CRS-3 is simply not ready and nothing more should be read into that.

Offline WHAP

• Liked: 105
  • Likes Given: 8
Delta-IV - GPS IIF-5 - February 20, 2014
« Reply #45 on: 01/29/2014 12:05 pm »
Yeah, I know. That's why I specified that the slip is to also give the margin for extra launch attempts in case of some problem on the 20th.

I would doubt that a GPS launch would bump a CRS launch.  It would be more likely, IMO, that the CRS launch slipped and opened the door for this one. 
The range typically does not provide more than two attempts (days) before giving the next vehicle in line an opportunity.  Jim may have more insight into range operations.
« Last Edit: 01/29/2014 12:07 pm by WHAP »
ULA employee.  My opinions do not necessarily reflect those of my employer.

Offline Nomadd

• Lower 48
  • Liked: 60431
  • Likes Given: 1305
« Reply #46 on: 01/29/2014 12:11 pm »

I think a lot of people would doubt that. The GPS system will be just fine if a launch is delayed for a while. The ISS might not.
Those who danced were thought to be quite insane by those who couldn't hear the music.

Online Targeteer

• near hangar 18
  • Liked: 3364
  • Likes Given: 1139
« Reply #47 on: 01/29/2014 12:46 pm »
http://spaceflightnow.com/delta/d361/update.html#.UukEUvYo7Jw

Delta 4 rocket engine cleared for GPS launch on Feb. 20
Best quote heard during an inspection, "I was unaware that I was the only one who was aware."

Offline jacqmans

• Global Moderator
  • Houten, The Netherlands
  • Liked: 8562
  • Likes Given: 320
« Reply #48 on: 01/29/2014 05:31 pm »
Some shots of the Delta IV taken from Pad 34 on January 27 by Julian Leek (from his facebook site)
Jacques :-)

Offline Chris Bergin

« Reply #49 on: 01/29/2014 09:01 pm »
Some shots of the Delta IV taken from Pad 34 on January 27 by Julian Leek (from his facebook site)

Wow. Very apt indeed!
Support NSF via L2 -- Help improve NSF -- Site Rules/Feedback/Updates
**Not a L2 member? Whitelist this forum in your adblocker to support the site and ensure full functionality.**

Offline beidou

• Mars
  • Liked: 48
  • Likes Given: 3
« Reply #50 on: 02/11/2014 07:29 pm »
Finally, the launch kit was released.

Offline averagespacejoe

• Liked: 51
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #51 on: 02/12/2014 03:50 am »
So I thought since I just found it I would post at least one of the digital patches for this mission. There is this one and then the boat shaped one but I like the compass better.

Offline baldusi

• Buenos Aires, Argentina
  • Liked: 2539
  • Likes Given: 8273
« Reply #52 on: 02/12/2014 11:51 am »
"Ego Navita" mean "I Navigate", right?
I love the Viking boat. Even thought I don't know the Northern Constellation.

Offline Jim

• Night Gator
  • Cape Canaveral Spaceport
  • Liked: 21451
  • Likes Given: 428
« Reply #53 on: 02/12/2014 01:20 pm »
So I thought since I just found it I would post at least one of the digital patches for this mission. There is this one and then the boat shaped one but I like the compass better.

The different patches are by different organizations involved in the mission

Offline belegor

• Switzerland
  • Liked: 13
  • Likes Given: 67
« Reply #54 on: 02/12/2014 03:17 pm »
"Ego Navita" mean "I Navigate", right?
I love the Viking boat. Even thought I don't know the Northern Constellation.

My Latin is quite rusty, but I don't recognise any verb form in "navita". I navigate would be "navigo". Since it's it was unusual to use pronouns together with verbs, I would offer the following translation: "I, Sailor"/"Me, the sailor" or something in that direction.

Someone with better knowledge of Latin please correct me if I'm wrong.  :P
« Last Edit: 02/12/2014 03:18 pm by belegor »

Offline SpaceDave

• El Segundo, CA
  • Liked: 59
  • Likes Given: 37
« Reply #55 on: 02/12/2014 11:38 pm »
Three sides symbolize the third Space Vehicle. SV‐3 is named after the brightest star in the southern constellation of Carina, Canopus, which is depicted in the evening sky along with a GPS Block IIF satellite and the Delta IV symbol for the launch vehicle. The sky is orange to represent the time of day that Canopus will be launched and compliments the black border to create a late‐October Halloween feel. (Orange is also the color of the Denver Broncos and Florida Gators for you sports fans). The "C" and "P" of Canopus are highlighted, indicating this was the last Cost Plus development satellite in the IIF program. The mountain signifies Pikes peak in Colorado for our On‐Orbit ops teams. The palm trees and LAX restaurant are displayed in honor of the development team in Los Angeles. The Cape Canaveral team is represented by the 45th Launch Support Squadron's alligator mascot which is incorporated on the right hand side. Notice the phrases "Vela" and "621B" in gold on the bottom right hand side. 2013 is the 50th anniversary for two important milestones in GPS history. In 1963, the Partial Test Ban Treaty was signed to prohibit all test detonations of nuclear weapons except underground. On October 17th 1963, approximately 50 years before GPS IIF‐5's scheduled launch date, the first nuclear detonation detection satellite Vela A1, and descendant to the modern day US Nuclear Detonation Detection System payload, was launched to start global monitoring from space. Also, in 1963, the development of Project 621B, the foundation of the modern GPS satellite concept, was approved. The IIF‐5 launch commemorates the 50th anniversary of the Vela launch and the approval of Project 621B.

Offline Chris Bergin

« Reply #56 on: 02/16/2014 01:14 pm »
Weather Forecast

Overall probability of violating weather constraints:  20%

Primary concern(s):  Cumulus Clouds, Solar Activity

Overall probability of violating weather constraints for 24 hour delay:  20%

Primary concern(s):  Cumulus Clouds, Solar Activity
**Not a L2 member? Whitelist this forum in your adblocker to support the site and ensure full functionality.**

Offline Chris Bergin

« Reply #57 on: 02/16/2014 01:14 pm »
ULA:

The mission is set to liftoff on a ULA Delta IV rocket on Thursday, Feb. 20 from Space Launch Complex 37 at Cape Canaveral Air Force Station in Florida. The 19-minute launch window opens at 8:40 p.m. EST. Today’s L-4 forecast shows an 80 percent chance of favorable weather conditions for launch.

Offline Chris Bergin

« Reply #58 on: 02/16/2014 01:16 pm »
Mission Booklet:

Offline jacqmans

• Global Moderator
  • Houten, The Netherlands
  • Liked: 8562
  • Likes Given: 320
« Reply #59 on: 02/17/2014 06:21 pm »
Jacques :-)

Tags:

Advertisement NovaTech
Advertisement Northrop Grumman
Advertisement