Author Topic: Falcon 9 Block 5 Updates and Discussion  (Read 486991 times)

Offline 2008rlctx

• Texas, USA
  • Liked: 13
  • Likes Given: 5
Re: F9 Block 5 Updates and Discussion
« Reply #640 on: 05/04/2018 07:02 pm »
Let's hope all the...I's (were) dotted!

Really?! Look closely at yours!  ;)

It doesn't matter that much in a post, but the irony is that on a rocket, such an error could cost LOV, making your meaning even that more salient!

Looks like you got me...congratulations.

Offline JBF

• Liked: 472
  • Likes Given: 914
« Reply #641 on: 05/04/2018 07:03 pm »
The final shape isn't all that different - the leg tips have been extended and rounded like the cap/fairings.

It looks like a pretty significant shape change to my non-aerospace grade eye.  Old version seems "pointy" and the newer overall shape is much more "rounded".  IMHO.

The overall shape is the same; the new one just incorporates the end cap.
"In principle, rocket engines are simple, but that’s the last place rocket engines are ever simple." Jeff Bezos

Offline chrisking0997

• NASA Langley
  • Liked: 127
  • Likes Given: 317
« Reply #642 on: 05/04/2018 07:51 pm »
I wish SpaceX would write the core numbers more prominently and in something other than pale grey.

I think they did this for aesthetic reasons, big numbers may look good to enthusiasts, but they look ugly to normal people. Look around you, none of your widgets have its serial number displayed in big visible letters, they're all hidden somewhere in small fonts.

yes, but vehicles tend to have identifying numbers prominently displayed (cars, aircraft, etc).  Although Ill concede that might not be an apples to apples comparison as a VIN is not exactly prominent on a car but license plates/tail numbers are so you get my point.  Im not sure an F9 could be classified as a widget like a mouse or phone
Tried to tell you, we did.  Listen, you did not.  Now, screwed we all are.

Offline GreenShrike

• Liked: 321
  • Likes Given: 682
« Reply #643 on: 05/04/2018 08:03 pm »
I wish SpaceX would write the core numbers more prominently and in something other than pale grey.

I think they did this for aesthetic reasons, big numbers may look good to enthusiasts, but they look ugly to normal people. Look around you, none of your widgets have its serial number displayed in big visible letters, they're all hidden somewhere in small fonts.

Rockets cores aren't anonymous widgets that just blend into the background. They're some of the biggest and noisiest things around.

Also, I don't believe that most people would call, for example, the serial NCC-1701 painted on a certain starship in quite a conspicuous location and at a very readable size "ugly". ;-)
TriOptimum Corporation            Science
                                      Military /_\ Consumer

Offline Lars-J

• California
  • Liked: 8485
  • Likes Given: 5384
« Reply #644 on: 05/04/2018 08:11 pm »
Can we please nip this "should have HUGE numbers" discussion in the bud, and discuss more relevant things about block 5?

Online Coastal Ron

• I live... along the coast
  • Liked: 10199
  • Likes Given: 11934
« Reply #645 on: 05/04/2018 08:34 pm »
Rockets cores aren't anonymous widgets that just blend into the background. They're some of the biggest and noisiest things around.

Also, I don't believe that most people would call, for example, the serial NCC-1701 painted on a certain starship in quite a conspicuous location and at a very readable size "ugly". ;-)

Ship numbers are not written large because those on the ship need to know what ship they are on, they are written large so that people on OTHER ships can see what ship they are looking at.

Unmanned boosters are not self-aware enough to need to know the identities of other boosters sitting or flying nearby (although that may change in the future), so the only reason to have numbers on hardware is so workers can tell the difference between them - in which case they don't have to be that large or noticeable.

Which means the only reason we're talking about this is because WE in the public want to know the difference, but making it easy for the public to track stages is apparently NOT a concern that SpaceX has. And we all know this, so we should not complain about it.

Getting back to the topic at hand, what do we know about land legs 2.0 now that they are on a stage?
If we don't continuously lower the cost to access space, how are we ever going to afford to expand humanity out into space?

Offline Star One

• UK
  • Liked: 3974
  • Likes Given: 220
« Reply #646 on: 05/04/2018 08:45 pm »
Can we please nip this "should have HUGE numbers" discussion in the bud, and discuss more relevant things about block 5?

Most major things about it have been discussed at this stage, so it’s understandable that people turn to smaller issues.

Offline GreenShrike

• Liked: 321
  • Likes Given: 682
« Reply #647 on: 05/04/2018 09:08 pm »
Which means the only reason we're talking about this is because WE in the public want to know the difference, but making it easy for the public to track stages is apparently NOT a concern that SpaceX has. And we all know this, so we should not complain about it.

Shouldn't complain...? You must not be from around here... ;-)

It may not be a concern SpaceX has now, but things do change. Quite often after-- Wait for it....

Complaints.

:-)

You don't consider the markings on the first class of rocket boosters that will actually survive to accumulate long histories -- and, thus, stories, anthropomorphized personalities and even names (which is what the serials are really standing-in for), either formally or informally (e.g. "Sooty") -- to be relevant discussion? That goes against millennia of human culture and tradition.

But okay, I've said my piece.

So SpaceX must be pretty confident to have their logo in the center of the core, rather than being cramped towads the bottom. I guess the new core insulation must do a lot to prevent the frost and ice build up that would otherwise obscure it. I wonder if perhaps they're also using some sort of hydrophobic paint to keep the logo readable during propellant loading?
TriOptimum Corporation            Science
                                      Military /_\ Consumer

Offline FutureSpaceTourist

• Global Moderator
  • UK
    • Plan 28
  • Liked: 81677
  • Likes Given: 36941
« Reply #648 on: 05/04/2018 09:13 pm »
I made a #Falcon9 Block 5 vs block 4 comparison shot, special thanks to @Craig_VG for merging @spiel2001's images. #spacex

https://twitter.com/tj_cooney/status/992496074454654982

Offline TungstenCarbide

• Liked: 605
  • Likes Given: 18
« Reply #649 on: 05/04/2018 09:17 pm »
A better, full res comparison of block 4 and block 5 from the same angle on the same pad.
« Last Edit: 05/04/2018 09:24 pm by TungstenCarbide »

Offline zhangmdev

• Liked: 88
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #650 on: 05/04/2018 09:45 pm »

So SpaceX must be pretty confident to have their logo in the center of the core, rather than being cramped towads the bottom. I guess the new core insulation must do a lot to prevent the frost and ice build up that would otherwise obscure it. I wonder if perhaps they're also using some sort of hydrophobic paint to keep the logo readable during propellant loading?

I really doubt that is some magic paint can prevent frosting. The reason to move the logo could be as simple as not enough space between the legs.

Offline deruch

• California
  • Liked: 2006
  • Likes Given: 5634
« Reply #651 on: 05/04/2018 10:02 pm »

I really doubt that is some magic paint can prevent frosting. The reason to move the logo could be as simple as not enough space between the legs.

Or that they aren't going to be washing the boosters between uses so they wanted the logo on the section that ends up the cleanest after they have been flown and covered with soot.  I think they are willing to just accept that the logo will be covered up or obscured some by ice/frost during loading operations.  They are big enough now and established enough that they don't have to worry about people not knowing who they are or having the company's brand damaged by people making sophmoric jokes about the frost pattern making the rocket say sex (really "ceX").
Shouldn't reality posts be in "Advanced concepts"?  --Nomadd

Online envy887

• Liked: 6801
  • Likes Given: 2965
« Reply #652 on: 05/05/2018 12:57 am »

Or that they aren't going to be washing the boosters between uses so they wanted the logo on the section that ends up the cleanest after they have been flown and covered with soot.  I think they are willing to just accept that the logo will be covered up or obscured some by ice/frost during loading operations.  They are big enough now and established enough that they don't have to worry about people not knowing who they are or having the company's brand damaged by people making sophmoric jokes about the frost pattern making the rocket say sex (really "ceX").

Considering the Tesla lineup, it wouldn't surprise me if Musk moved the logo on purpose just so it would say that...

Offline Prettz

• O'Neillian
  • Atlanta, GA
  • Liked: 259
  • Likes Given: 30
« Reply #653 on: 05/05/2018 02:30 am »

I think they did this for aesthetic reasons, big numbers may look good to enthusiasts, but they look ugly to normal people.
They don't.

Online Lar

• Fan boy at large
  • Global Moderator
  • Saw Gemini live on TV
  • A large LEGO storage facility ... in Michigan
  • Liked: 11864
  • Likes Given: 11086
« Reply #654 on: 05/05/2018 06:58 am »
We can indeed nip the numbers discussion in the bud ... as long as we all agree that yes, there should be big numbers but SpaceX will do what they want, not what we want.  LOL

Then we can just enjoy this new booster and not argue. (semi serious)
« Last Edit: 05/05/2018 06:59 am by Lar »
"I think it would be great to be born on Earth and to die on Mars. Just hopefully not at the point of impact." -Elon Musk
"We're a little bit like the dog who caught the bus" - Musk after CRS-8 S1 successfully landed on ASDS OCISLY

Offline HVM

• Finland
  • Liked: 1203
  • Likes Given: 596
« Reply #655 on: 05/05/2018 09:06 am »
I made a #Falcon9 Block 5 vs block 4 comparison shot, special thanks to @Craig_VG for merging @spiel2001's images. #spacex

https://twitter.com/tj_cooney/status/992496074454654982
It's said many times in the link, but still; it's Block 2 from CRS-6 not 4
« Last Edit: 05/05/2018 09:06 am by HVM »

Offline 2008rlctx

• Texas, USA
  • Liked: 13
  • Likes Given: 5
« Reply #656 on: 05/05/2018 02:48 pm »
Nobody else has said it so... Another big reason to move the logo is the new black legs. Previously, the logo overwrapped the legs, so if the legs aren't getting painted, or painted with black coating, no logo there is feasible, hence it needed to be relocated. Excited to see if there is a big difference in the soon patters vs previous blocks. 🌿👀🌿

Offline dorkmo

• Liked: 338
  • Likes Given: 848
« Reply #657 on: 05/07/2018 03:43 am »
what do you guys make of this? it looks like some sort of stiffing piece attached to the outside of the main leg structure. is that metal or just more carbon fiber? are those rivets?
« Last Edit: 05/07/2018 03:44 am by dorkmo »

Online Coastal Ron

• I live... along the coast
  • Liked: 10199
  • Likes Given: 11934
« Reply #658 on: 05/07/2018 04:20 am »
what do you guys make of this? it looks like some sort of stiffing piece attached to the outside of the main leg structure. is that metal or just more carbon fiber? are those rivets?

Sure look like rivets. Looks too small for trying to affect airflow.

So if they are rivets, then it must be a way to attached a metal piece to a composite one?
If we don't continuously lower the cost to access space, how are we ever going to afford to expand humanity out into space?

Offline zhangmdev

• Liked: 88
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #659 on: 05/07/2018 09:10 am »

Seems way more than necessary if those are rivets. Not sure why attach metal structure there. Here is the image showing the metal attachment around the root of old legs. The outside of leg shows panel-like structure, while inside looks like a unibody carbon fiber structure. Nothing like those bumps at all.

https://i.imgur.com/fQt8Pzd.jpg

Tags:

Advertisement NovaTech
Advertisement Northrop Grumman
Advertisement
Advertisement Margaritaville Beach Resort South Padre Island
Advertisement Brady Kenniston
Advertisement NextSpaceflight
Advertisement Nathan Barker Photography