Author Topic: Space Shuttle Launch Pad 39A with Challenger STS-6 (1:144)  (Read 994909 times)

Offline roma847

• Be part of it
  • Germany
  • Liked: 2191
  • Likes Given: 55
Re: Space Shuttle Launch Pad 39A with Challenger STS-6
« Reply #260 on: 07/17/2013 02:04 pm »
But I have to make a few more of these lifting lugs, and with this variant they look well and much better than from the Paper kit.. 

I started with the front-panels made of 0,3 mm sheet. The thin slices I have cut out of plastic pipe 1.8 mm diameter and glued.

Then I wanted to try but also the smaller lifting lugs for a change. After the paper kit the triangles are merely folded and glued together, what would actually suffice.

But it is also a little different. My parts are made of 0.3 mm sheet that I have glued small thin slices from 1.2 mm insulating sleeve on both sides.

These smaller lifting lugs are stabilized by narrow struts on both sides, for which I've been using styrene strip 0.5 x 0.25 mm, which I again slightly longer allowed for better handling.

And these strips are of course on both sides and standing on their narrow side.

So first the front side,

and then the back side.

And then I have scratch-built the remaining larger lifting lugs including the two reserve lugs, which these TSM details now as far as done.

Before the parts can be mounted now, they need to go in the paint shop.

Up coming soon ...

« Last Edit: 06/08/2023 08:46 pm by roma847 »
Regards from Germany

Manfred

Under construction:
1:144 Launch Pad 39A with Challenger STS-6

Offline Overflow

• Space Shuttle Aficonado
  • Tampa, Florida
  • Liked: 13
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #261 on: 07/18/2013 02:20 am »
WOW. This has to be one of the coolest things I have ever seen. You have my respect, Manfred!

Offline RichO

• Olympia, washington USA
  • Liked: 29
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #262 on: 07/18/2013 12:37 pm »
MANFRED,

I'm with OVERFLOW on this one. This is so cool!

So I am on the verge of starting my wiring chapter. I still have a little ways to go with the lighting, but I have started to aquire my materials for the metal wires. I thought I should ask you what your opinion is for the best kind of wire to use for ease of bending. As you know the crawler kit has a lot of wire bending to do and any advice to make things easyer would help alot.

I have been doing some experiments with hardened music wire, but is very stiff and a little hard to bend. Any ideas? Thanks.
OMG, I finally discovered what's wrong with my brain: On the left side there's nothing right, and on the right side there's nothing left!

Offline roma847

• Be part of it
  • Germany
« Reply #263 on: 07/18/2013 01:05 pm »
WOW. This has to be one of the coolest things I have ever seen. You have my respect, Manfred!
Thanks Overflow for your nice compliment!

Yes, this ingenious technique fascinated me repeatedly on new and inspires me to try scratch-building of new details.

Now you know why I'm so interested in the Atlantis exhibition, maybe I can visit at some point even.

Regards from Germany

Manfred

Under construction:

Offline roma847

• Be part of it
  • Germany
« Reply #264 on: 07/18/2013 01:19 pm »
MANFRED,

I'm with OVERFLOW on this one. This is so cool!

So I am on the verge of starting my wiring chapter. I still have a little ways to go with the lighting, but I have started to aquire my materials for the metal wires. I thought I should ask you what your opinion is for the best kind of wire to use for ease of bending. As you know the crawler kit has a lot of wire bending to do and any advice to make things easyer would help alot.

I have been doing some experiments with hardened music wire, but is very stiff and a little hard to bend. Any ideas? Thanks.

Thanks Richo for your nice words too.

Before I can exactly answer your question for the best kind of wires you may use, tell me something about the diameters and lengths you want to install and have to bend, because the bending technique depends on.

Regards from Germany

Manfred

Under construction:

Offline Overflow

• Tampa, Florida
« Reply #265 on: 07/18/2013 09:44 pm »

Yes, this ingenious technique fascinated me repeatedly on new and inspires me to try scratch-building of new details.

Now you know why I'm so interested in the Atlantis exhibition, maybe I can visit at some point even.

Let me know if you do! Maybe we can get the Atlantis retirement thread crew together. :D

Offline RichO

« Reply #266 on: 07/20/2013 08:30 am »
MANFRED,

So the wires that I am experimenting with are hardened music wire, and at several diameters. Curently I'm trying 1mm, 0.8mm, and 0.5mm. The finished lengths are up to 30cm and will have some soldering for split routs. Also I will have repeat patterns for group bundles. I think these will be ok tho, I just thought I would ask for your expert opinion. Thanks.

Now on to the paint department and more wire bending of your own. Have fun!

OMG, I finally discovered what's wrong with my brain: On the left side there's nothing right, and on the right side there's nothing left!

Offline roma847

• Be part of it
  • Germany
« Reply #267 on: 07/20/2013 11:48 am »

Let me know if you do! Maybe we can get the Atlantis retirement thread crew together. :D
Yep, if I'll ever visit her Majesty, I'm telling you before in time know, then you can call the crew together, today rather than tomorrow ...

For you lucky devil the exhibition is in front of your door and thus a stone's throw ...

Regards from Germany

Manfred

Under construction:

Offline roma847

• Be part of it
  • Germany
« Reply #268 on: 07/20/2013 12:02 pm »
MANFRED,

So the wires that I am experimenting with are hardened music wire, and at several diameters. Curently I'm trying 1mm, 0.8mm, and 0.5mm. The finished lengths are up to 30cm and will have some soldering for split routs. Also I will have repeat patterns for group bundles. I think these will be ok tho, I just thought I would ask for your expert opinion. Thanks.

Now on to the paint department and more wire bending of your own. Have fun!

Hi Richo,

I don't know, why do you necessarily want to use hardened music wire, if you also want to bend it?

For these small diameters I'd rather use brass wire, which can be bent very well and accurately.

Regards from Germany

Manfred

Under construction:

Offline RichO

« Reply #269 on: 07/31/2013 12:11 pm »
MANFRED,

The choise of hardened music wire was simply a matter of availablity. I will have to search around the area here a bit for brass wire.

Keep building and having fun with your construction project. Thanks

Offline roma847

• Be part of it
  • Germany
« Reply #270 on: 07/31/2013 12:36 pm »
Richo,

it should not necessarily be brass wire, steel wire is also suitable, not only hardened!

Regards from Germany

Manfred

Under construction:

Offline crowe-t

• Satellite Of Love
  • Liked: 2
« Reply #271 on: 07/31/2013 07:30 pm »

Manfred,

You are doing a fantastic job on all this!

Sorry, I realized I hadn't yet posted in this thread.  I'm used to following along at ARC.

Mike.

Offline roma847

• Be part of it
  • Germany
« Reply #272 on: 07/31/2013 10:07 pm »
Mike,

thanks for your kind words of recognition, I'll also on ARC soon again be back in the track.

BTW, and I hope you too.

Regards from Germany

Manfred

Under construction:

Offline Ronpur50

• Brandon, FL
  • Liked: 1028
  • Likes Given: 1884
« Reply #273 on: 07/31/2013 11:17 pm »
Wow, this is just amazing!!  It looks like your miniaturizing the real thing!

Offline roma847

• Be part of it
  • Germany
« Reply #274 on: 08/03/2013 08:10 pm »
Hi Ronpur50,

thanks for the nice words. Yep, I am trying as close as possible to the real thing.

Regards from Germany

Manfred

Under construction:

Offline roma847

• Be part of it
  • Germany
« Reply #275 on: 08/03/2013 08:32 pm »
So now it can continue after a small breather.

Before the small lifting lugs to the TSMs can be glued, should advance only the pipes come about that at the start of the SSWS water the umbilicals around sprayed is. This sequence is certainly appropriate, because the lugs when customizing the pipes only in the way would be and would break anyway.

For the construction of pipes I looked again more accurately how they are running, what is actually slightly more complicated due to several arches around the TSMs and additional juvenescence.

Here you can see the two tubes on the LH2-TSM, a thicker and a thinner, which come from the top deck of the MLP and upwards run above the door and the outer side wall.

Source: NASA

The tubes reduces to the middle of the the top and have spray nozzles at the end. Shortly before the juvenescence of the thicker pipe there is a lateral branch, also with a nozzle at the end.

The reduced thicker pipe runs then above the umbilical opening flap on the back and ends there also behind a tight curve in a nozzle, which is quite good to see on this image.

The pipes are sitting on little supports for that I used Evergreen square profile of 1,0 x 0,75 mm above the door and at the other locations square profiles 0,5 x 0,5 mm.

Here are the supports glued already.

I wanted to use 1.2 mm and 0.5 mm for the diameter of the tubes. A 0.3 mm steel wire is put inside the thinner brass tube as a juvenescence.

And then I have started with bending and tried in different materials, as well as some variants of bending.

Brass tube (1.0 mm) was relatively easy and above all accurately bent, and so has the advantage that the arches remain unchanged, in contrast to plastic profiles is not bent back.   Would be another advantage, that as a juvenescence to Ø 0.5 mm could easily insert a corresponding rod. However, the pipe at the 90° bends slightly toward the buckling, what looks visually not so perfect. For the thinner tube (0.5 mm) with the juvenescence to Ø 0.3 mm the effect, however, may be not so serious.

The flexibility of the plastic rods depends on the respective material. The already grey painted 1.2 mm round profile was relatively brittle and began to break despite local warming in some 90° bends.    

The white Evergreen rod is, however, more ductile and did well to turn even without warming. However, the bending points tend to and again something to bend up, as long as the part still not is glued, what but again can be corrected before gluing.

When assembling of bent pipes, can be better to process plastic on plastic (tube/support) because the seat can be adjusted easily. Superglue bonding of the brass tube on the plastic supports must be careful, however, as soon as possible.

Here you can see a test fit,

and here the bent profile.

And here all three variants are set across, the grey profile with the breaking points in the middle.

So far again for the beginning.

« Last Edit: 11/06/2018 07:45 am by roma847 »
Regards from Germany

Manfred

Under construction:

Offline RichO

« Reply #276 on: 08/04/2013 11:48 am »
MANFRED,

This all looks very great. I see your delema about the 1.2mm round grey rod, to easily broken.  I personaly like bend #3. The brass tubing and rod is what I will be using for my crawler build. I like the idea of a slightly more delicate feel with the brass and sharper corners. However we all know that you will make the best judgment and choose what works best for you.

Keep bending and have fun!

Offline roma847

• Be part of it
  • Germany
« Reply #277 on: 08/04/2013 03:17 pm »
Thanks Richo for your encouraging words.

A solid brass rod instead of tube might also be appropriate. Would be just the difficulty to connect the branch pipe and the reduced pipe at the end. This can be done easier with plastic parts using normal plastic glue.

What do you think about brass soldering? It is not quite as easy, I think, isn't it?  And then you have to glue the bent pipe with Superglue on the TSM.

But I hope, I'll find a way out again ...

Regards from Germany

Manfred

Under construction:

Offline Overflow

• Tampa, Florida

Offline roma847

• Be part of it
  • Germany
« Reply #279 on: 08/07/2013 09:56 am »
Overflow,

go to the beginning of my thread, then you can find special information about my Launch Pad project.

This is a finished model of Discovery by Dragon (1:400).

I'm building the Challenger (STS-6), using the old Revell Launch tower (1:160) kit 4911, the Airfix shuttle stack kit (1:144) and the paper kits (1:160) by David Maier for the MLP and the crawler in a modified mixed scale (1:144/1:160). Also I am using the LC39 Detail kits (PE parts) by LVM Studios.

Regards from Germany

Manfred

Under construction:

Tags:

Advertisement NovaTech
Advertisement Northrop Grumman
Advertisement
Advertisement Margaritaville Beach Resort South Padre Island
Advertisement Brady Kenniston
Advertisement NextSpaceflight
Advertisement Nathan Barker Photography