Author Topic: LIVE: ASDS OCISLY - with JCSAT-14 S1 - Return Coverage - May, 2016  (Read 283940 times)

Offline guidanceisgo

• whos driving this pig?
  • Liked: 8
  • Likes Given: 3
If you were to assume this mission was the mechanical limit for reuse, that would constrain any reuse of the stages for most GTO missions.  That assumes that mass additions cannot be tolerated since they will most likely make the situation worse.  (propellant mass fraction likely already close to maximized)  I wonder about whether the reuseability/ financial case can be made without being able to reuse GTO mission stages.  If the reused cores could only be used on low energy missions,  would it even be worth doing?   I suppose you could reuse the low energy cores for one high energy mission, but does the case work on that scale. 
« Last Edit: 05/19/2016 02:20 am by guidanceisgo »

Offline OnWithTheShow

• Philadelphia, PA
  • Liked: 153
  • Likes Given: 27
I think they will get to reuse from GTO cores. Some small changes to the rocket, move the heaviest payloads to FH once they get that up running, or Raptor upper stage.

Offline rickl

• Pennsylvania, USA
  • Liked: 146
  • Likes Given: 150
Recovery of a GTO stage was a significant achievement, particularly when their preflight press release said a successful landing was "unlikely".

Every recovered stage is a gold mine of data on how to improve their design.  Parts that suffered damage will need to be beefed up or redesigned; while they may be able to shave weight from parts that fared well.  Even if they weren't pursuing reuse, simply being able to land, inspect, and test used stages gives them an enormous advantage over their competitors.

I have always believed that reusing rockets would be prove to be more challenging than they initially thought.  But landing the stages is a crucial first step, and they seem to be getting the hang of it.
The Space Age is just starting to get interesting.

Online envy887

• Liked: 6801
  • Likes Given: 2965
With the Merlin uprating coming online "later this year", they will have more margins to recover GTO stages... especially lighter payloads. They aren't all going to be this extra-toasty.

Offline Scylla

• Clinton NC, USA
  • Liked: 1130
  • Likes Given: 150
Since we don't have an update thread for the next S1 return yet, I'll just stick this here.
Go Searcher has joined Go Quest by OCISLY.
Currently the cam owned by "He who shall not be named" is accidentally showing OCISLY, Go Quest and Go Searcher. Shhhhhhhh....... :D
I reject your reality and substitute my own--Doctor Who

Offline Req

• Liked: 434
  • Likes Given: 2580
Elon Musk ‏@elonmusk  7m7 minutes ago
@SchaFFFFFF Flight 24 is def capable of flying again, but it makes sense to apply ground delta qual to rocket w toughest entry conditions.

Offline meithan

• Mexico
  • Liked: 91
  • Likes Given: 6
@SchaFFFFFF Flight 24 is def capable of flying again, but it makes sense to apply ground delta qual to rocket w toughest entry conditions.

Well, that settles the last two or three pages of discussion.

I was not familiar with the term "delta qualification" so I had to google it. FYI: doing a "delta qual" means repeating qualification testing of a component after flight, to see how much its qualification changes with actual use (hence the name I guess). Here's an example for the Atlas Centaur upper stage thrusters.

Offline wannamoonbase

• Elite Veteran
  • Denver, CO
    • U.S. Metric Association
  • Liked: 3112
  • Likes Given: 3862

I was not familiar with the term "delta qualification" so I had to google it. FYI: doing a "delta qual" means repeating qualification testing of a component after flight, to see how much its qualification changes with actual use (hence the name I guess). Here's an example for the Atlas Centaur upper stage thrusters.

Sounds like it's headed to McGregor soon.  They'll need room at LC39 right away too.
Wildly optimistic prediction, Superheavy recovery on IFT-4 or IFT-5

Offline Ronsmytheiii

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 1879
  • Likes Given: 1023

Sounds like it's headed to McGregor soon.  They'll need room at LC39 right away too.

How do you get that? Until the new Hangar is complete, there is probably even less room out there. They could remove the Orbcomm stage soon, it doesn't have engines and will never fly again anyhow, put it in temporary storage in one of the Cape Hangars until SpaceX can lift it into place back in Hawthorne

Offline Jcc

• Liked: 404
  • Likes Given: 203

Just to clarify your statement a bit, the delta qualification is to qualify a component or system for a different or more stringent requirement after it had been qualified for the original requirement. Doesn't normally involve testing actual hardware that already flew, SpaceX is in a fairly unique position to do that, together with Blue Origin.

Offline guckyfan

• Germany
  • Liked: 2332
  • Likes Given: 2891
until SpaceX can lift it into place back in Hawthorne

I am curious how they will do that. I would love to see a stand like they now have at the pier as a temporary stand to remove the legs.

Tags:

Advertisement NovaTech
Advertisement Northrop Grumman
Advertisement
Advertisement Margaritaville Beach Resort South Padre Island
Advertisement Brady Kenniston
Advertisement NextSpaceflight
Advertisement Nathan Barker Photography